[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crosman 1322 for hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12
File: crosman1322.jpg (116 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
crosman1322.jpg
116 KB, 700x525
I'm not sure how /k/ feels about airguns or pellet guns but since they're not airshit I'd figure I'd ask.

Could I use a crosman 1322 for hunting small game like squirrels, birds, and rabbits?
>>
with really good shot placement yes but the fps isnt high enough to ensure consistent one shot kills on something the size of a rabbit

typically you want a minimum of 600 fps in a 22 and 700 in a 177 for small game
>>
Since when /k/ has a problem with air guns?

Anyway, it depends on how powerfull the airgun is.
If it is weaker then 16 joules then no.
>>
If you were to modify said air pistol you could achieve consistent kills on small game. search around, there's plenty out there.
>>
>>29572820
Most of /k/ probably looks down on airguns as they're not true guns and often less powerful than a 22
>>
>>29572988
No, we just don't like airsoft airguns are /k/
>>
>>29572741
Not OP, but 500fps for a .22 seems about on par for a .22 short or .22quiet out of a rifle. While the airgun pellet is about half the grain weight, I suspect the pellet would still be deadly.

I was thinking about getting one of these because reasons; the pneumatic version because I wouldn't want to buy CO2 cannisters like a junky.
>>
>>29572741
>>29573088

again with the fps bullshit...

fps is meaningless, since the actual weight of .177 pellets will vary from under 5 grains, to around 12 grains, so knowing just the muzzle velocity tells you nothing about the energy.

the value you want is muzzle energy, given in Joules, or foot pounds (fpe). A heavier pellet, fired at lower velocity, from the same gun, can have a higher muzzle energy, and will conserve energy better downrange.

As far as I remember, you need 8 fpe on impact to bring down a rabbit, which roughly translates to firing a pellet at 12 fpe at 25-30 yards or less.

generally speaking, air pistols are too weak for hunting - you want a 12 fpe rifle for that.

Then there are FAC classified air rifles (above 12 fpe) that can be used to hunt more effectively. On the extreme end, you have 200+ fpe rifles like daystate wolverine in .303, or benjamin bulldog in .357.
>>
>>29574033
in America air rifles have fps marked on the box
yes it will change based on pellet weight but its a decent enough rough guideline cause you wont find joules marked anywhere unless you go to european websites

the 1322 is 460 fps, 7.5 joules, 5.5 foot pounds
aka too weak
>>
You're looking at three factors here: Speed, pellet weight and accuracy. For huntin' with airguns you probably want a ~650 FPS @ 15 grain gun, on which you should get consistent 3/4 groups. The max range you get said 3/4 inch groups is how far you can hunt. A run of the mill $200 spring gun will let you hunt probably at 40m with some training.
>>
File: 1322_reddotflight.jpg (494 KB, 900x507) Image search: [Google]
1322_reddotflight.jpg
494 KB, 900x507
>>29572690
How could /k/ not love this thing?
Yes its a good hunter.
>>
>>29574890
OMG a SBR the ATF is gotta get you!
>>
>>29572690

I had one of these as a kid. I remember they made a stock for it which helped enforce the no fly zone over my yard.
>>
>>29572690

Small-ish birds?

Sure.

Mammals larger than rats?

Not at all and I'd still carry a stick to humanely finish rats if you are dealing with big ones. Birds are easy to kill because they have hollow bones and will readily go into shock after a serious wound. Mammals, even small ones, have to be hit powerfully and with a well placed shot to induce shock and/or near instant death.

The Crossman 1322 just isn't bringing that to the table. I've shot many, many rats with mine and a few have survived being hit center of mass. I wouldn't trust it to humanely kill something larger. Generally you need to move up to air rifles to reliably take squirrels and up to at least a .22 air rifle for rabbits.

If you were starving and had nothing else available I'm sure you could bag any of the animals mentioned but I'd smack the shit out of my kid for peppering a rabbit with .177 pellets for five minuets before he killed it.
>>
>>29572988
By most of /k/ you must mean newfag noguns.

Hell, I doubt there are people who don't even know why /k/ use to hate airshit so much to the point that even moot was in on it.
>>
If I was looking at something to take with me when I go /out/ for more than a week (and wanted to replace my marlin 60) should I take a spring piston rifle, or pre charged pneumatic rifle?

Cursory research on Google has me leaning towards pcp (I don't mind buying the pump thing) for shooting and bagging rabbits, raccoons, maybe a coyote.

My reasons for wanting to bring an air rifle are pretty much just the fact that it's quiet, clean (no more brass innawoods), and the ammo is incredibly available. Plus the Benjamin bulldog just looks cool.
>>
>>29575619
even with a rifle with a big tank and tuned down power, you won't get more than 40 shots per fill. Then you need to pump for a couple of minutes. But a spring rifle needs nothing more than pellets, shoot all day all night with no need to pump anything, cock it and it's ready to go.
>>
Small birds are pretty fragile, that pistol would be ok. For rabbits or squirells you need an air rifle. Nothing fancy like a pcp, just a run of the mill pellet gun.

That pistol would probably result in alot of maimed rabbits. I mean their just rabbits, but if you are going to hunt make sure to get humane kills.
>>
>>29574455

yeah, kind of ironic, since fps will change depending on the pellet used, and for all you know, the fps written on the box may be themaximum value given for light pellets, and you will get nowhere near that shooting regular, ~8 grain pellets.

>>29576176
>>29576281

Somwthing like a 12 fpe AA s400f will give you ~80-100 even shots from a 180 BAR fill. That might be enough for your needs, but if it isn't, you're screwed.

pcp rifles are fun to shoot, but the logistics can be a nightmare - I wouldn't consider taking one unless I was absolutely sure shot count won't be a problem, or that carrying a tank/pump will not be an issue (ie - have my car nearby, lugging that shit defeats the purpose).
>>
File: pellet-drag.jpg (7 KB, 264x168) Image search: [Google]
pellet-drag.jpg
7 KB, 264x168
>>29576437
well you should never trust the manufacturer's speed rating, it's always probably measured with alloy pellets and such.

Also, unless it's a big bore PCP, the kind that uses cast bullets, you don't want pellets going more than 1000fps, since they're made to stabilize on air drag like a badminton shuttlecock the diabolo shape destabilizes at transonic speed and loses accuracy. If your pellets are cracking the sound barrier you need heavier pellets.

Pyramid Air has a metric shitload articles on everything about air rifles, they're a fine reading for anyone trying to get into "serious" airguns.
>>
Just get a Daisy PowerLine 880, a rifle wool do you better for rabbits and such.
>>
File: IMG_20151223_194053_378.jpg (731 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_194053_378.jpg
731 KB, 1840x3264
>>29575619
I highly recommend one of these. 22 Walther LGU and a Hawke scope.
>>
File: air_power.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
air_power.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>29578849

I can second that. I don't have an LGU, but I have an LGV (same internals, break barrel instead of underlever), and it shoots great.

Generally, 'murrican airguns like crossman, daisy, etc. can't hold a candle to high end EU manufacturers like Walther, Weihrauch, Air Arms, Daystate, or Steyr.
>>
File: main.jpg (511 KB, 2500x1196) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
511 KB, 2500x1196
>>29579272
>no Feinwerkbau

But the US has AirForce. Most powerful production air rifle ™
>>
>>29579294

it wasn't a comprehensive list. I missed Diana as well, and CZ makes decent stuff too.

IIRC, AA s200 was actually made by CZ in Brno for AA.
>>
File: IMG_20160412_031747.jpg (946 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_031747.jpg
946 KB, 2592x1944
>>29572690
You could, but if I were you I'd mod it first to get more power out of it. Your best bet is to get one, add a stock, and replace the barrel with a longer one. There are other mods that help increase velocity and such, I'm just not familiar with all of it yet. I just bought a Crosman 1377, planning on doing all that and adding a scope for a nice little air carbine, pic related.
>>
File: Pig shooter.png (940 KB, 2462x1056) Image search: [Google]
Pig shooter.png
940 KB, 2462x1056
A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go
>>
>>29572690
Wish I had one right now. All I have is my .22 and there is this bird that goes off at 3am till 9am everyday

So Damn loud
>>
File: youwilllose.jpg (12 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
youwilllose.jpg
12 KB, 320x240
>>29572690
go big or go home
>>
File: big bore air rifle.png (79 KB, 818x261) Image search: [Google]
big bore air rifle.png
79 KB, 818x261
I heard you can successfully hunt deer with these
>>
>>29579656
Yep, I've seen people use them for hog hunting too.
>>
File: P1000475.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
P1000475.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
.458 air rifle...
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.