[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1940s Tank Design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: valkyria_chronicles_tank.jpg (141 KB, 1178x760) Image search: [Google]
valkyria_chronicles_tank.jpg
141 KB, 1178x760
You are in charge of coming up with a tank for your hypothetical country with an industrial capacity similar to Germany.

You need a tank to outfight the T-34 immediately, including being available in quantity. However, it should be also be built with the future threat of the IS-2 in mind. The intended theater of operations would be either Manchuria or the regular old Eastern Front.

The tank should be built with off-the-shelf technology as of 1940.

>Easy Mode
Mix and match weapons, engines, etc from different non-Soviet nations.

>Normal Mode
You pick one country and stick with it for equipment to outfit your tank. This can include the US and Germany.

>Hard Mode
As above, except you can't pick US or Germany.

>Dante Must Die
You have to use Japanese equipment.

Pic semi related
>>
>>29570204
Yeah nah. Playing pretend is for children. There are real tanks that are already cool as fuck, and real is much better than imaginary.
>>
Build something on the Sherman chassis and upgrade as needed. They could mount 90mm guns on those things during the war and Israel mounted even bigger stuff later.
>>
>>29570204
>You need a tank to outfight the T-34 immediately
Impossible.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 1160x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 1160x320
>>29570204
T1

It fires 600mm rockets
Has ten wheel treads
and has a top speed of 60mph

It can withstand every bullet
>>
Well considering politics in 1940, considering we're fighting Russia, American and Russian tech is out of the question as America proposed lend lease in 1940 and enacted it in 1941.

Considering this, I would produce a copy of the panzer 38(t). It is a reliable and cheap to produce tank that is capable of taking a big enough gun to knock out t-34's. I would also be attempting to capture as many tanks as possible from the Soviets, much like the Finns did during the winter war.

As for fighting is-2's, I would primarily rely on heavy AT guns to knock them out. Or use the pz 38s to shoot their treads and then attempt capture for our own use.
>>
File: 4565953074.jpg (32 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
4565953074.jpg
32 KB, 600x374
>>29570204
Gotta go with the Pz. IV H.
>>
Biting Italy, Hard

>Engine
License produced DB601, transverse mounted

>Gun
Breda 90mm/53

>Layout
Reclining driver for >muh height

>Armor

90mm, pike nosed glacis cast as one piece (to avoid weld line issues) = 16cm effective thickness

90mm cast turret, with 75mm face-hardened applique = 18cm effective thickness

If you can get this under 40 metric tons, you've got something nasty and fast
>>
>>29570284
Take Sherman, put diesel and high muzzle velocity cannon. Done. You can increase width of trucks to make it very best.
>industrial capacity similar to Germany.
This is problem. Soviet tank industry was build with intend to make tanks. German industry was build to make profit for shareholders.
>>
>>29570421
Weren't the Bongs the only ones getting US stuff until 42?
>>
>>29570483
Lend lease was signed march of 1941. That covered bongs. I think China was added in April. USSR added in October of that same year.
>>
>>29570479
Albert Speer showed that you could squeeze some pretty impressive results from it

>>29570479
America had a 4"/50 naval gun in the 1920s. The French 105mm mounted in the Super Sherman weighed about 2 tonnes, while this gun weight 2.5t.

This might be possible for a stretched Super-Duper Sherman
>>
File: char ww2 concept paint.png (13 KB, 844x632) Image search: [Google]
char ww2 concept paint.png
13 KB, 844x632
>>29570204

This is my concept
>>
File: el Tanko.png (6 KB, 447x202) Image search: [Google]
el Tanko.png
6 KB, 447x202
>>29570204
Two machineguns johnny
>>
>>29570642
amo rack is to far from gun
>>
>>29570204

>Valkyria Chronicles

Goddamn it that game had so much potential but the usual weeb JRPG shit ruined it.
>>
Here's my mix and match.

>Engine
Junkers Jumo 204, a 2850cc 750hp aircraft diesel

>Gun
British 4"/45 Mark V

A big fucking shell at 2400 fps, it stands a good shot at penetrating an IS.

>Armor
There is no reasonably way of defending against a Soviet 122mm gun without imposing a very great weight penalty. However, frontal immunity to 85mm guns is a reasonable goal.

Some fiddling reveals that 85mm at 35-degrees from horizontal is frontally immune with no overmatching risks.

Due to the difficulties of thick plates, not sure how to approach turret. Probably a cast box with a really thick front.
>>
>>29571176

The should be a ready rack in the turret basket.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.