[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Owner Question, pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 20160410_182839.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160410_182839.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
So, I recently came into the ownership of this lovely Winchester Model 1897 Takedown Shotgun, and I have a couple of questions for the fine folk of /k/

1. Will this gun handle normal shotgun loads?
2. Should I reblue the barrel or leave it as is?
3. Does anyone have an old owner's manual as a pdf? I'd like to make sure I lube and clean his properly, tis a beautiful gun.
>>
File: 20160410_182918.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160410_182918.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>29562463
Posting the model stamp.
>>
>>29562463
Hey i've got the same gun! and yeah I shoot fiocchi high brass #2 steel shot out of it no problem for duck hunting
>>
>>29562527
Awesome, any idea how this performs with slugs or sabot?
>>
>>29562463
Lovely old piece; please post a pic with better lighting, so that we may appreciate it properly.

I can only speak to #2, I'm afraid. In general, rebluing the barrel of an older firearm actually lowers the value significantly; I want to say by 50% or more (source: half remembered "I Have This Old Gun" articles from American Rifleman. I'm traveling on business and quite intoxicated ATM, so make of that what you will). That being said, since the protective coating is degraded, keep it well oiled to help avoid corrosion.

Very nice addition, anon. You have my envy.
>>
>>29562463

Only reblue it if you see surface corrosion forming, otherwise keep it well oiled.

If you do decide to get it blued, please be tasteful and get a hot blue or rust blue done. Or but some steel pipes and practice rust blueing on your own. Don't do some hackjob cold blue.

Great gun though. Nice catch.
>>
>>29562559
I will have to post a pic later on in better lighting when I can. Honeslty there doesn't seem to be any rust on her, so I have no plan at rebluing, She looks way too pretty for that.
>>
You may want to take it to a gunsmith to have the chamber measured. Depending on when it was made, it may have a 2 and 5/8ths chamber, as opposed to a 2 3/4s chamber. This was too accommodate for older style shell crimps.
>>
>>29562463
1897 owner here, take the front half off, and load a spent shell into place, if there's no wiggle, it should be fine.
I just use low recoil target loads with mine,check this website to find the year yours was made.
http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php?file=win1897.dat
>>
>>29562650
1927 is when she was born
>>
>>29562835
You should be good to go with any 2 3/4 shell then.

Have fun.
>>
>>29562835
Mine was made in 1916, so you should be perfectly fine.
>>
File: 20160403_150010-1.jpg (2 MB, 4953x900) Image search: [Google]
20160403_150010-1.jpg
2 MB, 4953x900
You can can anything through em, personally I wouldn't reblue it, I like that worn look
>>
>>29562463
Bumping to see if anyone has any service manuals on the like for proper lubrication and care.

Also, anyone know if CLP is safe to use on this?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.