[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bolts w/ Irons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 562989.jpg (122 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
562989.jpg
122 KB, 1920x1280
Poor college guy here. Looking for an accurate bolt rifle with iron sights for sub $600. Uses are plinking and hunting.

All I've seen thus far is the Savage Hog or a Mosin if I hit the jackpot for bores. Any other ideas?
>>
mosin

/thread
>>
K98
>>
Mosin.
>>
>>29559657
I'd go with the savage hog if that fits your price points including a at least a few months worth of ammo
>>
>>29559657
Mas 36.
>>
>>29559720
k98. Ammo is a bit more expensive but it's a much better round and rifle.
>>
mossberg mvp patrol has irons. my step-dad has one and I have a hog hunter, both in .308

they are both plenty accurate. the mossberg has better sights and stock, the hog hunter has a better barrel in my opinion, I like the extra few inches for my .308

even your average mosin will be accurate with good ammo unless the bore is fucked

savage also has a model 11 Scout which takes magazines and has a longer sight radius. I think it's ruger that makes a model that it's meant to compete with.
>>
>>29559657

swiss 1896/11 or K31 are your most accurate cheap bolt milsurp around.

you'll need a tall front sight in order to aim under 200meters
>>
OP, buy a yugo m24/47 or yugo m48 Mauser. Way better than moist nugget. Also look at HUSQVARNA 146 and 640. Commercial made m98 hunting Rifles. If buying online and like old bolt action check Simpsons Ltd.
>>
Yugo K98 or a nugget
>>
Enfield
>>
K 31 Swiss army rifle. Picked mine up for $300. Ammo (7.5x55mm) is hard to find however.
>>
>>29559841
The MVP looks fucking sick. Any clue how much one would go for used?
>>
It all depends on the ammo prices. Let's make a list:
Best you can get for the price:
K31. Straight pull bolt action built with the swiss autism, perfect in every detail. Uses 7,5x55 ammo- might be expensive if you dont reload.
Second best:
Vz 24- variant of the K98, somewhat shorter and widely agreed to be better built. If you can't get that, you can look for the K98 itself or M48 yugo, another K98 variant. Uses 8mm mauser ammo, which is popular for hunting in some places as it was THE european hunting rifle cartridge but in america might be expensive.
3. Mosin nagant
Not as cheap as it once was and significantly overrated. Unlike the almost never used K31 and rarely used Vz 24 rifles, nuggets have usually seen a lot of action as the soviets couldnt afford replacing the machinery for a long time because of the wars. Most surplus rifles are built out of parts that are still passable. You'll probably want an expert with you. Good thing about them is that you can still find cheap 7,62x54R surplus ammo.
>>
>>29560355
they are usually between 550 and 600 new, a lightly used one might go for about the same price if it came with a decent scope. I doubt you could find one for less than 400 if you were lucky
>>
>>29559657

>hit the jackpot

It's not very hard to get a Mosin with an excellent bore
>>
>>29559657
Check out the CZ hutning rifles. They are well built and based on the Mauser K98 action. You can get them in around every cartridge you can imagine. I've seen some used ones go around as low as 400 bucks.
>>
>>29559841
>mossberg mvp patrol

Feeds from ar 15 and m1a/m1 mags?

Wtf that cant be reliable.
>>
>>29559657
Just get a mosin
>>
>>29559657
Having six assorted Mosins and three Mausers (two German and one FN), I can tell you I would probably take one of the Mausers if I had to pick one rifle, unless you intended to shoot a great deal and didn't reload. 8mm is more expensive amd harder to find locally than 7.62x54r but still available enough.

While I love my 1896/11 and Bubba butchered 1911-ish-thing and have owned a K31, I wouldn't recommend them as a first rifle unless you are willing to reload for it. GP11 is pretty much gone and PPU 7.5x55 isn't always available, which leaves shit like Hornady Metric at $1.50 a round. That said, they are excellent rifles.

Have you considered buying used? An older Remington 700 with irons is an option, though Winchester would likely be on the upper limit or above your price range. A Savage 10 or 11 is a good choice, though their rifles before that could be questionable.

A new Savage 11 Scout would also be a great choice and 308 is cheaper than 8mm or 7.5 Swiss.

http://grabagun.com/savage-5.html

Hopefully that link works.
>>
File: 7-Mossberg-MVP.jpg (57 KB, 470x432) Image search: [Google]
7-Mossberg-MVP.jpg
57 KB, 470x432
>>29560600
They have a falling feeder on the bolt that drops in to push rounds out from the mag. It apparently works very well, though I had concerns as well.
>>
>>29560471
This, or if you can find it a Tikka T3 on sale should be sub 600
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.