[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So someone just told that it was realistic that Rey beat Kylo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 39
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 736x736
So someone just told that it was realistic that Rey beat Kylo Ren at the of the last Star Wars movie, because she knew how to fight with a staff, and that staff fighting and sword fighting are basically the same thing. Is this true?
>>
>movie shit
>is this true

Sure.
Keep consuming my products
Make them a central part of your life
>>
File: darth.jpg (53 KB, 480x798) Image search: [Google]
darth.jpg
53 KB, 480x798
>>29558787

No, not really. I know how to fence; but I'd just smack myself in the face with a staff.

It is worth noting that Ren had been shot in the leg though which severely hampered his mobility and the strength he could put behind his strikes.

I was far more irritated by the fact that she was able to pull off the Jedi mind trick with no training or instruction. Luke couldn't do shit with the force till the second film and he doesn't use the mind trick till the third one.
>>
>>29558787
A staff can be used like either a sword or a spear, but of course it lacks the lethality of either.
>>
I practice HEMA regularly and while not every weapon system have interchangeable technique the fundamentals of fighting with melee weapons are the same, i.e. distance/measure, timing etc.

kylo was hurt and since he tried to convince her to come to the dark side or become his apprentice or something similar, towards the end of the fight, he might have also been holding back a little.

I thought it was stupid when I saw the movie, but when I heard some arguments in favour of her beating kylo, and thinking it over, my opinion changed from "that's stupid and unreasonable" to "not outside the realm of possibility" and "plausible"
>>
>>29558843

Also, Fin softened him up before Rey got to fight him even though he got his ass kicked.
>>
>>29558787
>Is this true?

Sort of.

If you already know how to fight, like actually understand foot work, range, timing, tempo etc. then the only thing you need to learn is the specific weapon.

I trained and/or competed in some form of combat sport (MMA, kickboxing, wrestling/sub wrestling) for more than a decade. About six moths ago I started training German Longsword and I was getting hits on people who had been training almost a year longer than I had when we would spar. The foot work was the same, the timing was the same, knowing your range was the same, I just had to learn how to use the longsword.

So it's not unrealistic that she would get a hit or two on Kylo Ren.
>>
>>29558787
Rey is a shitty Mary Sue character done for the sake of le female protagonist. It's irredeemable, JJ Abrams is a hack.
>>
>>29558896
Basically this enough viral marketting some of us won't even bother seeing this because we know what we're getting.
>>
>>29558843
I would have to agree, the jedi mind-trick appeared far more unlikely than her beating a crippled kylo

What bothered me most though is that not a single person got a limb severed. Whenever lightsabers are involved, that should happen left and right, like all the time.
>>
>>29558920
I went to see it because I was hoping that a director besides George Lucas could actually make Star Wars good again, and the reviews were good. Then I got a shitty remake of A New Hope with the most boring and unlikable characters I've ever seen.
>>
>>29558896
Oh, but the next chick will be worse
>I rebel
>>
File: Han Be Like Han.jpg (106 KB, 1680x623) Image search: [Google]
Han Be Like Han.jpg
106 KB, 1680x623
>>29558965

I enjoyed it. It was probably the most derivative and unambitious film I've ever seen; but it was generally well executed and Harrison Ford's charm was enough to carry the film.

The prequels had a much more interesting plot; but they were ruined by poor decisions on the part of Lucas and Hayden Christiansan's whiney bitch Anakin.
>>
>>29559007
I dunno. Rouge 1 looks to be, if nothing else, somewhat more creative, and they got a director who's not retarded. Maybe I'm blinded by hope but I think it could be good, especially since it gets away from a lot of the dumb tropes.
>>
File: image.gif (472 KB, 200x151) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
472 KB, 200x151
Star Wars: diversity edition

It's like a college admissions office made the cast.

New Star Wars was a soft reboot. A new Death Star? Fucking lame.
>>
>sword
>staff

lolno. Staves require a thoroughly balanced weapon, and are held near the center. Swords are generally somwhat back heavy due to the handle, and you can only hold a sword by its handle. This means that they require entirely different attack strokes and defensive maneuvers. But, fighting is fighting, and at the end of the day, a lightsaber isn't much of a sword but more of a backheavy short staff of plasma. If she already knew how to fight with a staff, it would not have taken any practice to pick up a lightsaber and go to town on your mortal enemy.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 1000x1000
>>29559007
I bet the movie won't have a single fucking Bothan
>>
>>29559155
the bothans weren't involved until getting the plans for the Deathstar II
>>
>>29559079
The only thing I don't like about it is that they made the (assumed) protag out to be this reckless, impulsive stronk woman.

I'm cool with a female protag, women are more than capable of being terrorists (let's be real, the Rebel Alliance is space ISIS) but that's not the kind of person you put in charge of anything important or place at the center of a conspiracy that can save many lives or advance your agenda.

That's the type of person you task with placing a back pack bomb in a cafe or by a checkpoint and then detonate it before they can take it off.
>>
>>29559137
I don't mind muh diverse casts as long as the characters are actually interesting.

I mean, there's no real reason for the casts NOT to be diverse, it's science fantasy.
>>
>>29559079
>I rebel

I'm not seeing this movie.
>>
Staff that length and awkwardly lumpy, most likely not.
Maybe if it were a proper staff and she had an understanding of utilizing the staff held at the base and 1/3. Maybe if it were a shorter staff/rod then there would be a high amount of synergy to her staff form and the likes of Japanese sword form which utilizes two hand grips.
But really, besides knowing how to thrust, parry, and certain strike with 2/3rds of a pole, there isn't a lot of staff forms that will transition to sword. Hand and a halfing a sharp sword like one would a staff would end badly for the user.
>>
>>29558843
Different force users will have different talents. Luke was also constantly full of doubt about what he could do with the force, while Rey just said fuck it and went for it.
>>
File: aX99jAd_700b.jpg (190 KB, 700x1443) Image search: [Google]
aX99jAd_700b.jpg
190 KB, 700x1443
>>29558896
>>
>>29558787

no she beat Kylo because he was trained by a wannabe sith lord.
>>
>>29558843
We have the original script. There was a scene of Rey watching holotapes of jedi doing cool shit that got cut. Presumably one of those cool things was the jedi mindtrick.
>>
>>29560387
That's a good point actually
>>
>>29560414
That weakened dark jedi had the force too though.
>>
>>29559463
You can hand-and-a-half a sharp sword fine.

Probably not a lightsaber though.
>>
>>29560387

>Anakin
Fucking everyone hated that kid
Besides, that was pretty much the only thing he was good at: piloting shit.

>Luke
It was actually mentioned that he'd flown ships before

>Rey
I like how it say 'can fight' instead of 'easily beat'
She beats the darth vader analogue with virtually no training, essentially nullifying him in future movies, and is good at everything already.
The only thing she supposedly isn't good at is, shooting... until she runs around one handing a blaster and dunking stormtroopers left and right
Everything she does, she's already amazing at.
That's why she's a Mary Sue
>>
>>29559007
She'll probably be a male-to-dickless-male transgender, and let us know in his/her very first line of dialogue.
>>
>>29560465
And it wasn't only said that Luke had flown ships before, but that he was really good at it too.
>>
>>29559173
It feels gimmicky because of the stark change to the old movies and because they're diverse for no real apparent reason. The "scary" characters are a tall lanky Jew and a dyke in scary armor that does nothing but get thrown (off screen) in a trash compactor.

New Star Wars is beta chuck hipster sjw trash. Mfw I'll never see Kyle katarn byre pistol bitches or Star Wars legacy warrior philosopher dark Jedi on the silver screen.
>>
>>29560387
>no one bats an eye at teeny baby Analkin's delightful antics

Darth Nyqqa...I gots news for you...
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 960x720
>>29558843
Rey being able to do the Jedi mind trick really well is foreshadowing that obi one is her dad or something
[spoiler] or she's just Mary sue [/spoiler]
>>
>>29559007
She's cute, so I don't care. Might watch the movie despite skipping the last one just cause of her. her eyes and forehead and teeth aren't as fucked up as that ray bitch anyway
>>
>>29560387
>Anakin
>wasnt the first time he participated in a pod race
>suposedly the being with more "force" in the galaxy
>races against guys that are not force sensitive
>people actually complained about the little shit A LOT
>the pod racing thing isnt an example of him being a mary sue but the atack on the drone control ship is(durr spining is a good trick hurr)

>Luke
>he can hit a fucking womp rat
>a motherfucking womp rat!
>its actually obi one ghost the one guiding the shot
>fucking womp rats how do they work?
>when facing a force sensitive pilot (darth vader) he gets his ass saved by Han "dirtytricks" Solo
>WOMP RATS

>Rey
>never piloted a single ship
>manages to outpilot fucking tie figthers with the milenium falcon in small spaces
>jedi tricks out of her vagina (did I mention she is a grrrrrl?) without training for shit
>beats a trained force sensitive jedi/sith whatever the emo fag is

The worst thing of TFA wasnt mary sue rey, but that resistance pilot destroying 8 ties and guning down some stormtroopers in a single flip, like seriously what the fuck is going on? I hope a womp rat bite his nuts or something. Fuck Jar Jar Abrams
>>
I wouldn't mind women in more roles- and even infantry roles IRL -if only they actually worked hard to get into those roles, and stopped having everything like that shoved down our fucking throats.
>>
File: hillarity.gif (2 MB, 300x174) Image search: [Google]
hillarity.gif
2 MB, 300x174
>>29560642

This brightened my day, thank you
>>
>>29558787
I thought she held her own because:

1. being a force user is practically plot armor
2. rylo ken was an overemotional, poorly trained and previously injured by a blaster
>>
>>29560465
>She beats the darth vader analogue with virtually no training,

> darth vader analogue

Seriously?

Kylo a shit. If Vader was Mike Vinning, then Kylo was equvalent of random internet faggot that imagines himself to be badass tacticool navy seal green beret operator because he has tacticool tapco stock on his SKS and plate carrier.

I mean, the movie was still shit, and had lots of fuckups, but this was not one of them. Kylo was actually built up to be worthless fuckbag from the very beginning, so him getting his ass handed over by stronk womyn was only logical thing to happen. Its not like she faced Darth fucking Maul or someone else even semi-competent.

Of course, the real problem is why the fuck makers of this movie decided to make the BBEG such a faggot.
>>
>>29558787

Movie was shit, I thought Rouge was going to be an interesting look at a more military style star wars war movie but of course >I rebel

The problem isnt the woman its all these dumb action sequences that just pull you out of the movie, > let me just insta KO 3 storm troopers with a spin move

this goes for all action movies, lesser acclaimed movies like John wick amd Jack reacher get passionate followings becuase the actors and Co. put in the work to make the action sequences at least believable enough to suspend your belief, TFA and other poorly made attempts at action should not get any acclaim from anyone exept children and brain dead sheep
>>
>>29560520
Hew as good at flying land speeder through beggar's canyon in his shitfarming village.

Thats like translating from cessna 152 to F-15. Makes total sense. .
>>
>>29560738

>Kylo a shit.

Oh, don't misunderstand me.
He was shit, and i totally agree with you.
A Darth Vader analogue is what he was SUPPOSED to be.
They just failed miserably.
>>
>>29560788
wasn't he flying a Skyhopper and that is why he was bitching about wanting that power converter? plus Biggs did tell him that the controls were the same on both
>>
>>29560859
>A Darth Vader analogue is what he was SUPPOSED to be.
>They just failed miserably.
No, he was framed as a wannabe Vader, never as fully there.
>>
>>29558787
Rey beat Kylo because when Kylo's helmet is off Jar Jar is more competent
>>
>>29558787
no, it was because kylo ren hasnt much formal training either and was wounded, and it looked like she was getting some kind of force knowledge transfer from the blade itself.

but one thing to bear in mind regarding kylo ren is that he was trained in lightsaber combat by who exactly? luke skywalker, whose training as far as observed is rather limited, a short session with a aging obi wan, no real saber training with yoda and two duels with darth vader, who seems to have lost most of his agility and speed and settled for power blows the whole time, one of those duels he lost, the other vader more or less threw.

Luke skywalker is not a great saber fighter and thus his pupil is not well trained. throw in said pupil being wounded and Rey apparently getting a force boost and maybe force knowledge thru the saber and its not a great surpirise
>>
>>29561147

>all this mental gymnastics to justify horrible acting discipline

not even to mention her blaster kills , garbage writing
>>
>>29561147
>throw in said pupil being wounded and Rey apparently getting a force boost and maybe force knowledge thru the saber and its not a great surpirise
Mind also that the Jedi way is to allow the Force to flow through you and provide optimized motion and momentary precognition that then turns to reflexive defense and skillful attack, and Rey doesn't have Luke's self-doubts about what the Force can do, she just straight up tries everything.
>>
>>29560642

Well, basically it's saying that Luke like with most desert folk or farm boys in America had a lot of free time driving around in his speeder, flying his crop duster and hunting game and pests as well as defend the farm from raiders.

So while no solider by any means, Luke has handled a gun before and has flown around, however much like how Han scolds Luke for being a spaz teenager while in the cockpit of the falcon, flying hyper space ain't like dusting crops, boy!

Also Star Wars lore bullshits us by saying Incom Corporation, the manufacturer of the T-65 X-Wings had a simple and similar cockpit set up as some of their civilian model ships like Luke's T-16 Skyhopper.

So it's like saying Rebel Pilots are like Russian Tank Drivers in T-34's which were basically like farm tractors.
>>
>>29561147
He killed all of Luke's Jedi Academy students!

Look emo bitch may be an emo bitch, but unlike most school shooters he cleared out the whole campus single handed and got away with it.
>>
File: absolutely civilian.jpg (10 KB, 234x250) Image search: [Google]
absolutely civilian.jpg
10 KB, 234x250
>>29559166
>the bothans weren't involved until getting the plans for the Deathstar II
UH NO, literally Mon Motha said "a great many Bothans died getting us this information" when they were reviewing the plans after Luke showed up with them.

Up until that point nobody knew or saw or even had an idea what a Bothan was, it wasn't until later that it was explained that they're cat people that can somehow disguise themselves and spy around. (you would think nobody would trust Bothans ever but hey)
>>
I thought rogue one was going to be a rogue squadron spin-off. That would've been awesome. This shit isn't anywhere near as cool. Why would they even use such a confusing name? Do they have a protagonist named Dish Renderer as well?
>>
File: hahaha.gif (174 KB, 299x240) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.gif
174 KB, 299x240
>>29561897
>a protagonist named Dish Renderer
>>
>>29560738
>Kylo a shit.
He is most definitely not a shit. He stops a blaster bolt in mid-air with the force, which no other character has ever done on screen. He can do some mind-reading thing with the force. He can take a hit from Chewbacca's bowcaster, which obliterates everyone, without much in the way of serious effect. He may be an angsty emo, but his physical and force abilities are beyond question in the film. That's what makes Rey a Mary Sue, because she defeats such a powerful character with zero training or luck.
>>
>>29561542
>Mon Motha
>In A New Hope
Try again!
>>
>>29560788

Luke had a T16 Skyhopper. It was so similar to the T65 Xwing that it was used as a training vehicle.
>>
>>29560387
Everyone in the world complained about the first example. And Luke was a bitchy kid who needed help throughout the entire movie. The whole movie led up to the point where he used the force to make a good shot. He then spent the next two movies training under the greatest Jedi ever to reach the level of force competency that Rey achieved in one day with no help at all.
>>
>>29560642
This is true. That scene made me lose interest in the film. I actually kept looking at my watch after that.
>>
>>29562077
You're right, I was mistaking George Lucas remake electric boogaloo shenanigans for an earlier appearance, my bad!
>>
>>29561147
Also kylo isn't even trying to kill her until the moment she starts beating her. Of you watch the scene again, he was just fucking around trying to have a chat with her all "JOIN ME LINK" and she's like fuck you dude.
>>
File: starwars first order.jpg (11 KB, 342x147) Image search: [Google]
starwars first order.jpg
11 KB, 342x147
>>29560642
>worst thing of TFA ...that resistance pilot destroying 8 ties and guning down some stormtroopers in a single flip

I also can't wait for the good guys to win for once.
>>
>>29562307
Disney will never do a movie with 'grey' morals and show the enemy in any form of sympathetic light or show their side of the conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
>>
>>29562558
That was fucking awesome. I need more of this kind stuff in my life.
>>
File: hide postst edited10.png (250 KB, 919x737) Image search: [Google]
hide postst edited10.png
250 KB, 919x737
>>29558787
Fuck off reddit.
>>
File: 1439337302889.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1439337302889.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>29562558
>Disney will never do a movie with 'grey' morals and show the enemy in any form of sympathetic light or show their side of the conflict.
Which is why Start Wars is and always has been inferior to Space Prussians.
>>
>>29562558
I'm more confused as to what side the new republic is. They keep calling their army "the resistance". Like, wtf, aren't you the reigning government?
>>
>>29560702
>>29560738

This. Why is there so little realization from viewers that Kylo Ren is extremly untrained and undisciplined. He's just a Dark side Vader fanboi, of course he sucks.

Also, Rey is Luke's daughter, so she has plenty of natural force ability. Rey and Ren are cousins, that's gonna be the big reveal a la "I am your father!"
>>
>>29561998
Ren and Rey's generation is very Force-sensitive but not well-trained in the Force. Genetically, considering they're cousins, they are very much equals with their abilities to use the Force.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (31 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
31 KB, 470x313
Which missile could sink a Nimitz class aircraft carrier?
>no nukes
>>
>>29560387
>Analkin
>Anyone defending those shitty prequels

>Luke Was planning on being an Imperial pilot before becoming a rebel
>Used to blast womp rats
>Took 3 movies for him to become proficient with the force
>>
>>29563081
Fuck wrong thread
>>
>>29558787
Kylo Ren is a Sith lord and leader of the knights of ren, he is trained in battle and has slaughtered people in droves

Rey is a vagina bleeder homeless unwanted cunt who was raped in her sandy vagina her whole life and holds a big black cock

In my headcannon Rey is dead, and so is that nigger
>>
>>29563107
>Kylo Ren is a Sith lord and leader of the knights of ren, he is trained in battle and has slaughtered people in droves

lol, since when is he not just a whiny little incompetent bitch?

The whole movie was utter shit. To the point of not being worth discussing.
>>
>>29563130
true
>>
File: Yoda 2.jpg (222 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Yoda 2.jpg
222 KB, 1024x768
>>29560575

I say she's Yoda and Leia's love child.
>>
>>29563107
>Kylo ren is a sith lord
No he's not
>>
>>29561382
>Also Star Wars lore bullshits
Doesn't luke mention that the controls are just like his speeder really early on when he first gets into an x wing?
>>
>>29565106
One of the things the Encom engineers did was use the highly common T-16 Skyhopper's control layout as a trainer model base for the T-65 X-Wing, so it eased training flight hour needs.
>>
>>29560575
>obi one
>one
are you fucking kidding me?
>>
File: CZQOxVBWQAENQoU.jpg (16 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
CZQOxVBWQAENQoU.jpg
16 KB, 480x480
>>29562985
As far as I understood it they are space IS funded by the Republic to fuck with the Imperial Remnant.
>>29562994
He's trained enough to kill all of Luke's students and turn Luke into a space hermit. I hope you aren't right about the cousins thing though.
>>29563044
Speculation. Stop it.
>>29563107
That nigger was pretty decent.
>>29563130
6/10, wouldn't call it shit exactly but it certainly wasn't memorable.
>>
File: oFZmP6e.jpg (412 KB, 2872x1080) Image search: [Google]
oFZmP6e.jpg
412 KB, 2872x1080
>>29565809
>I hope you aren't right about the cousins thing though.
They've already said that the main saga movies are about the Skywalkers, and look at that resemblance Rey has to Luke and Anakin at about the same age...
>>
>>29559007
$50 says she's a dike that will hit on Rey and constantly show how stronk as a woman she is.
>>
File: CftAyCAXIAA3sb9.jpg large.jpg (375 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
CftAyCAXIAA3sb9.jpg large.jpg
375 KB, 1024x1365
>>29565865
Also, have a fun Ep VIII behind the scenes photo.
>>
>>29559155
You mean Kyle Katarn
>>
>>29561542
Yeah, that was in ROTJ and they were talking about DS II.
>>
>>29559137
>A new Death Star? Fucking lame.

>making a new death star that is literally just a death star 3.0
>instead of it shooting awesome lazorbeams it somehow absorbs suns
>it somehow can then shoot the sun to multiple planets in a different star system
>this destruction can be witnessed from other star systems, somehow, even though they are light years away

>not just making a ship that makes a sun instantly go super nova and destroy a star system

I hate to say it but the Star Trek reboots was better because it was, literally a ship. It didn't involve some bullshit "Attack it's weak point for massive damage" or some indoor Xwing flying around destroying one single facility on a planet sized installation resulting in the total catastrophic failure of the star base - no it was a fucking ship with future technology that made it kind of OP, and then it had a black hole generator, which was used against it.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed 7 because I'm not an autist who hates everything in life, but it really feels like Disney just played it way, way too safe on this one and took zero liberties.
>>
>>29562985
Basically the New Republic controls less than a third of the Empire. The rest is held by various remants and warlords.

In order to prevent these warlords from massing and buttfucking them, the Republic is a theoretically neutral party, but they support the "resistance", which is various groups of freedom fighters in these warlord and remnant controlled zones.

But then the First Order decides to buttfuck the New Republic for supporting this resistance, and superweapons their principal fleet and their wandering capital.

Heros of the Rebellion, Han and Leila Solo, don't have any strong ties to the planets that have joined the Republic, so they help out the Resistance.
>>
>>29565881
I'm actually a little jelly that he got to smush his junk against her. I don't care what you fags think, I'd nail her in a fucking wendy's bathroom if I had the chance.

But anyways... Am I the only one not really taking the movie that seriously? I mean, not to beat a dead horse, but Kylo was pretty wounded by the time Rey started laying the smackdown on him. The guy took several hits that otherwise killed other characters. And he somehow managed to not die or get dismembered in any of that.
>>
>>29565951
>it really feels like Disney just played it way, way too safe on this one and took zero liberties.
They made a lot of money, they'll probably get a little more adventurous now.

It wasn't a guaranteed success, they needed to play it safe, it's been 11 years since the last one, and that one (and the two before it) sucked.
>>
>>29565908
Forgot about that, now my butthurt is through the roof
>>
>>29562985
This is the part that bugs me the most.

Expanded Universe was basically like this:

>death star + emp + vader all die
>All storm troopers "Uhhh guess we keep doing what we doing"
>power struggle and vacuums appear, empire is unstable but still reigning military force

Just because a leader is killed doesn't mean the war simply stops. It's a domestic war for the empire across a vast spacescape, so the second the Emperor dies someone is next in the line of succession, however since the Emperor was a fucking Sith and expected to rule forever, and literally didn't care about having a functional government he probably didn't exactly leave behind a clear structure for who exactly takes charge when he croaks. So, someone claims they are the next Emperor. Problem is, when someone else also claims they are the next Emperor and that doesn't result, you have a civil war / territories / battle lines being drawn.

Bam, suddenly a civil war + war with the rebels.

This would have been cooler to explore than what amounts to Stroomtrooper terrorists trying to be the new Rebellion. The idea of the Rebel Alliance winning, and it ultimately fucking up the galaxy even 30 years later where people are still trying to fix it, gets me hard.
>>
>>29559007
Damn she looks like carrie fisher

Im in
>>
>>29566055
I like where you're going with that. I really would have liked to see some sort of internal struggle between the remnant clones and the new non-clone troopers within the empire, but the movies more or less skip over the time period where that would have happened. Did that happen in the EU? I never really got a chance to get into that side of Star Wars.
>>
File: DaisyRidley.png (251 KB, 591x445) Image search: [Google]
DaisyRidley.png
251 KB, 591x445
>>29566029
He was holding it together just out of will. It wasn't quite what his grandfather went through, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had some metal bits in the next one.

Also yeah, if she was a blonde, she' be my dream girl. Her form is great.

I have no trouble believing she kicked that support troop's ass when they first met.

Also I hope they pander by making Finn pine for Poe, keep Mr. Useless away from Rey.
>>
>>29566051
Star Wars still has INSANE brand power that has been untapped for decades. Disney turning it into an annualized series from here until the early 2020's is just what they need to make back their 4 billion dollars.

They also have Indiana Jones, so expect a ton of that coming too.

Disney doesn't fuck around. They only go after the big fish now. They made Tron Legacy for 170 million and pulled in over 400 million from box office, not including DVD + Streaming + all the other money. What did they do? They canceled plans for Tron 3. Not enough money in it to even bother.
>>
>>29558843
If you know fencing, then you know star wars sword fighting has nothing to do with any sort of logic, and all comes down to which space wizard can dance the best.
>>
File: 1446511321730.jpg (110 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1446511321730.jpg
110 KB, 720x720
>>29566104
>We will never get to see Carrie Fisher like this again

I'm secretly hoping that the slave outfit makes a comeback in one of the new films even though I recognize that'll probably never happen with all the PC bullshit in hollywood now.

Here's this, because Carrie Fisher
>>
>>29565908

>tfw Kyle Katarn and everyone in the EU just disappeared as if they were never there
>>
>>29566105
>Did that happen in the EU?

Stuff like that happened in the EU, yes. The EU no longer exists, so what we have from the movies is Luke Skywalker saved the galaxy, the rebel alliance became the ruling power, and then First Order shows up kicking tin cans and causing a ruckus in the corner of the galaxy.

The problem is the Empire being able to build the Death Star given they have access to trillions of lives of manpower and an entire galaxies worth of resources - okay it's reasonable they'd be able to slap something together.

First Order with virtually no funding and what amounts to Sith ISIS, being able to build a space station by hollowing out a planet and give it some crazy intense technology not seen before in the galaxy? That is a bit silly.
>>
>>29565868
It takes place between episodes 3 and 4. She'd be a granny by Rey's time.
>>
>>29566121
Star Wars is a monster of a cash cow, but they needed a safe success, because a panned risk after 3 panned movies could possibly cripple that cow.

Now they've got a nice safe success that 99% of normies love (I quite liked it, I understand why it wasn't more, and I can accept the why, and enjoy what made it good), they can take risks, because the fan base will totally accept a turd and still hope the third will do well.

It's not going to be Guardian of the Galaxy risky, but I'd settle for Winter Soldier risky.
>>
File: aftermath_new.6.red_.jpg (1 MB, 625x951) Image search: [Google]
aftermath_new.6.red_.jpg
1 MB, 625x951
>>29566055
New official canon novel explains what happened in the 30-year gap, no more "tiered" cononicity.
>>
>>29566111
The Dark Side is pretty good at "stay alive out of sheer fuck you rage", like how Maul survived getting cut in half at the waist.
>>
>>29558843
>It is worth noting that Ren had been shot in the leg though which severely hampered his mobility and the strength he could put behind his strikes.
Except that pain and rage only make him stronger. Lrn2darkside
>>
>>29566111
Mr. Useless was my favorite character from the movie. He wasn't what I was expecting him to be at all. Having him just want to get the fuck away from the Empire and not get involved was a nice change of pace for adventure movies.
>>
>>29566111
Beauty is a bottle of hair dye away, my friend. And that video of her doing dead lifts is fucking awesome. Was it ever confirmed that Daniel Craig was playing the stormtrooper in the holding cell that was moments away from a Fifty Shades of Rey moment?

>Finn and Rey hooking up
oh god no. Not for any reason other than he's a failed mental experiment that barely scrapes by in ounces of sheer luck. Also, he would likely be paralyzed after that brutal spinal rip Kylo pulled on his ass in the woods before Rey showed up. Good actor, shitty writing.

I really hope they just expand more on Kylo's sheer force of will and ridiculous physical and force abilities. The scene when the guy stops a fucking blaster bolt in mid air and proceeds to do other shit while still holding it there through the whole scene? The entire theater I was at let out a collective gasp when that happened. I was like "Awww yeah, Kylo is doing shit no other force user has ever done! He's gonna be so bad ass!"

And then the dad stuff happened.
>>
>>29566225
>Was it ever confirmed that Daniel Craig was playing the stormtrooper in the holding cell that was moments away from a Fifty Shades of Rey moment?
Yep, that was him.
>>
>>29566239
Heh, I don't know why that makes the scene better for me, but it does.
>>
>>29558843
Pretty sure the explanation is when ren was trying to pick her brain she dug into his and learned a few tricks.
>>
>>29566225
>I really hope they just expand more on Kylo's sheer force of will and ridiculous physical and force abilities. The scene when the guy stops a fucking blaster bolt in mid air and proceeds to do other shit while still holding it there through the whole scene? The entire theater I was at let out a collective gasp when that happened. I was like "Awww yeah, Kylo is doing shit no other force user has ever done! He's gonna be so bad ass!"
>And then the dad stuff happened.
I think the difference there was where his focus and determination were. In the village assault he was in full game face mode, while when facing Han he had been repeatedly tested in his devotion to the dark side and was wavering.
>>
File: 1453065388750.png (197 KB, 930x1131) Image search: [Google]
1453065388750.png
197 KB, 930x1131
>>29566267
That's a good point. They managed to squeeze in enough of the "I'm going to finish what you started" and "Fuck you light side, stop calling. I don't want you back" stuff to satisfy me for the first of three movies. I'm hoping that whatever training Snoke was talking about really cranks up the insanity of Kylo's abilities. It remains to be seen what his real limitations are and he's already surpassed some of the most capable force users with little to no valuable training. Now that everything with Episode 7 happened, there's a clear and open road for Kylo to really grow as a character since one of his major conflictions is now gone.

Also... Am I the only one that thinks he likely didn't learn shit from Luke due to the nature of his lightsaber? It looks like he learned enough of the basics to construct a Lightsaber, but he didn't know enough to make it stable. Dunno. I think there's actually something floating around about his lightsaber specifically.
>>
This is all I want in my life:

>Abrams to finish Star Wars 8 and 9
>Justin Lin to kill himself since he's doing Star Trek 3
>Have Abrams do Star Trek 3
>Finish both franchises, die happy
>Get DC to just give all their IP's to Disney, or just offer all the Disney staff more money to come work on DC Movies
>Man of Steel 2
>Have MOS2 directed and produced by Nolan only
>Neil Blomkamp stops fucking up movies because they are only getting worse and someone thought it would be a good idea to give him the fucking Aliens franchise after Chappie
>Peter Jackson comes back to Produce District 10
>Peter Jackson + Neil for District 10
>James Cameron comes back to do a Terminator 2 sequel, trash the rest of the franchise
>James Cameron drops plans for an Avatar TRILOGY, and just does an Avatar 2 and calls it a day since even though Avatar is the highest grossing movie nobody even really remembers or cares for it, unlike T2 / Titanic
>Have McG direct something worth watching, because the cinematography in Charlies Angels and Terminator Salvation was on point, they were just shit movies because of the plot/script

Also Disney giving me Republic Commando 2 and a single player campaign for Battlefront would be perfect.
>>
>>29566328
>Also... Am I the only one that thinks he likely didn't learn shit from Luke due to the nature of his lightsaber? It looks like he learned enough of the basics to construct a Lightsaber, but he didn't know enough to make it stable. Dunno. I think there's actually something floating around about his lightsaber specifically.
I think most likely he got frustrated, became a bitchy, rebellious teenager and ran away, got picked up by Snoke, and used what training he had to get where he was at that point and as the only real force user in the Knights of Ren became their de facto leader, and his proof of loyalty was to go kill the future Jedi.
>>
>>29566224
I didn't not like his character, being a cowardly AWOL support troop willing to murder all his mates at the drop of a hat aside, he was more compelling than many characters would be in that situation. But I just fear the trope of the action girl having a soft spot for the weak dude, and think it's awful.
>>
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3859966

Ok, according to this article. Rogue One is essentially Dark Forces: the movie. If this is true my dick will be diamonds.
>>
>>29566225
>Beauty is a bottle of hair dye away, my friend
Sure, but perfection is not the same as the appearance of it.
>>
>>29558896
Abrams likes to have is characters fall into power that is basically unearned.

Case in point, Abrams goes out of his way to create a timeline so that James T Kirk goes through the academy with the rest of the crew of the Enterprise. The, at the end of the movie, Starfleet hands the Enterprise, the most advanced ship in the fleet over to a guy who hasn't even graduated from the academy yet.

Want to see a character grow and develop and earn their abilities and powers? Well tough shit. J J Abrams gots no time for boring ass character development,
>>
>>29560356
That's why she ran out of that bar temple right?
>>
>>29558843
The reason why Rey was able to master the force so quickly is that she's a mary sue. Here is a girl who was abandoned on a middle eastern tier planet without anyone to really raise her in any formal education who is basically a master mechanic and fix almost any mechanical object there is, to the point where she knows the falcon better than Han does, a man who's been using the damn ship for decades doesn't know it as well as some 20ish year old girl who learned how to fix starships from scavenging on them for a few years. You'd think there'd be more super mechanics like her on that planet.

Not only is she this super mechanic she's also mastered melee weapons, to the point where she beats not only stormtroopers but later on in the movie a sith lord/dark jedi with a laser sword she literally just started using.

I don't care for Rey much at all, she was written to be a mary sue, and she comes off as one. Finn was a better character than her because he at least felt like a real person.
>>
>>29567164
If they wrote Rey to be realistic she would have had a child or two by now because the aliens and other humans on that planet would have raped her nonstop. Idc if she's this super staff fighter we see her in the movie now, was she as good as one when she was 12 or 13? I doubt it.
>>
>>29567164
>Not only is she this super mechanic she's also mastered melee weapons
When you spend your entire life taking shit apart for instant food portions and fighting people off from stealing your portions, you get good at understanding how machines work and hitting people in the face.

Or you starve to death.
>>
>>29565865
she does look quite similar to luke
>>
>>29558843
>Luke couldn't do shit with the force until the second film
Errm, deathstar, first film, boom, remember?
>>
>>29567495
No you get good at taking machines apart at fighting.

No more then a factory worker makes a good mechanic does a scrap worker become a great mechanic/electronics tech/hyperdrive guru.

It really pissed me off how suddenly she is suddenly a better force user then what is orignially portrayed as a fairly powerful Sith. Who at the start of the movie had enough foresight and strength in the force to catch and hold a blaster bolt in mid air.

She is just a classic Mary Sue character and makes for a shitty part of the movie. Even Luke after much training from Yoda was unable to defeat Vader in the second movie and was forced to flee as a one armed Jedi. Then even with far more expierence failed against Palpatine with only Vaders betrayal of Palpatine saving him.

Yet suddenly barely any instruction in the force or in the use of a lightsaber and able to beat down a fairly poweful sith.

As for the argument training with a staff prepares her for a lightsaber well its fairly weak. A staff can and should be gripped along its length at various points in time to maximise leverage. The same techniques with a lightsaber is not going to end well.
>>
>>29558876
>the force awakens was basically a new hope
>luke sykwalker is Darth Vader's son
>tfw rey is kylo ren's daughter
>>
>>29565951
>played it way, way too safe
>killed off Han fucking Solo
>>
>>29559143
>you can only hold a sword by its handle
>>
>>29563107
>Kylo Ren is a Sith lord and leader of the knights of ren
He's a barely trained wannabe, he's the overweight shaven head basement dwelling /pol/ user to Vader's Otto Skorenzy
>>
>>29565865
>they look alike they must be related
its a fucking movie, theyre actors in no way related
>>
>>29562994
>dark side vader fanboi

>can gather information directly from teh minds of others
>acute physical force manipulation (stops a blaster bolt)

His skill level is probably on par with Return Luke, considering he was probably trained for a substantial time from a young age by Luke, the only known Jedi style force user.

Naturally his skills wouldn't be on par with old republic Jedi, but he should be VASTLY superior to even a naturally strong force user whom is untrained.
>>
>>29567659
Or the lightsaber training sequence where he goes from getting zapped to perfect blocks with a blindfold and vague instruction.
>>
>>29567970
Not when he is using all of his concentration on making his insides stay inside him because HE WAS SHOT IN THE GUT BY A FUCKING BOWCASTER.
>>
>>29559071
>trade disputes are interesting
Ok
>>
>>29559071
>Hayden Christiansan's whiney bitch Anakin.
Which was entirely the fault of Lucas' directing as well.
>>
>>29558896

Plus Finn is literally the new jar jar binks. What the hell were they thinking??
>>
>>29565619
SHAME THATA NOT IN THE FUCKING FILM FAGGOT.
EU doesn't have any bearing in the films at all.
>>
>>29560453
But not in the same way as one uses a staff, there's a lot of sliding of the shaft through your hands in order to obtain different angles of attack.
Sliding a sharp sword through your grip, not a good idea.
>>
>>29558787
Mostly it was realistic that she beat him because he took a bowcaster bolt to the torso, a weapon that was sending people flying earlier. He had some Darth Sion stuff going just to keep fighting there.
>>
>>29560575
She'd be older than Luke, Lea, and Han if that was the case.
>>
>>29560575

Sorry but I'm calling bullshit,
Obi-Wan is age 56 or 57 when Luke showed up at the age of 21 and died at the age of 57

Luke is now 53 in TFA so
53 years - 21 years = 32 years after Obiwan died.

Rey is 19 in the movie so literally she'd have been conceived by Obiwan's ghost after Obiwan died.
>>
>>29568339
It is Luke mentions his t16 in a new hope fuckwit
>>
Staves are highly effective melee weapons. Musashi, the greatest swordsman ever, had his only defeat handed to him by a short staff. Since Musashi had previously beaten and spared the man, he of course did the same.
>>
>>29569202
same anon

Also Jedi forsake women (at least when Obiwan was trained in the god-awful prequels), and Luke seems to be keeping the tradition after he kissed his sister.
>>
>>29558787
"no"
>>
>>29569231
To answer the OP clearly, no they are not the same. You can thrust and smack with a staff. A staff is more comparable to a spear, but with more balance and shaft thickness to make up for the lack of a sharp end.
>>
>>29569217
This.

And besides that there is a deleted scene where Luke has to be vetted by the X-Wing squadron commander in 2 or 3 separate flights before they even agree to let the dumb farm boy who's only experience is flying in the equivalent of a lightly armed Cessna fly the Brand Spanking New X-Wing.

Rey waking up and piloting a Corellian freighter without so much as a 2nd blink is just hamfisted and insulting to watch.
>>
>>29558965
This.

I liked bits of the movie but almost none of them were due to good character writing.

Even Han Solo was kinda boring throughout the movie.

The Best parts were with John Boyega and Oscar Issac and maybe the soccer ball. He was 2 cute and a good stand in for R2
>>
>>29563081
>>29563094
Maybe the SM-6?

I'm not sure. Carrier are fucking huge and nearlly impossible to sink without a shit ton of fire power.

>source: 4 tours of duty on CVN-72
>>
>>29566142
God damn she used to be so hot.

No wonder half the studio crew plowed her.
>>
File: 1349217226441.jpg (42 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
1349217226441.jpg
42 KB, 720x439
>>29566262
10/10 writing you canon raping Disney jew.
>>
>>29559143
Wow, you're a retard.

Most swords tend to be slightly front heavy, which bus why they cut well. Sword didn't start becoming back heavy until the 15-16th centuries in the west, undergoing a shift in design in response to the sword becoming more of a status/dueling weapon in the face of increased firearm usage in warfare.

Also, what is half-swording. Read some treatises and study some HEMA before you spout off about shit you know nothing about.
>>
>>29569482
Is that actually her?

Also, source on everyone banging her?
>>
>>29570099
>Is that actually her?
Is that a real question?
>>
>>29570243
She just looks a little more ... Bladow! than in the films.
>>
>>29568224
You now realize that Luke acted the exact same way in the first movie for a while there.
>>
>>29570250
Her tits look bigger, but I think it's just that they're in movement.
>>
>>29570250
That image is photoshopped, but based on a real one.
>>
>>29570264

Eh, kinda? He wanted to join the Imperial Academy to get off world and become a pilot, and his Uncle just kept delaying it (purposely). Makes sense, but he gets over it.
>>
>>29561147
Rebels showed that OT style power strike combat is perfectly able to go toe to toe with the flashier prequel style.
>>
>>29570264
Eh, at least he compensated by being rather humble and good-hearted.
>>
>>29569231
fucking weeb
>>
File: Satine.jpg (33 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Satine.jpg
33 KB, 1280x720
>>29569251
Obi-Wan even turned down gettin' with Duchess Satine.
>>
>>29570264
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpUkokRx3-k
>>
File: 1450855057537.png (47 KB, 829x452) Image search: [Google]
1450855057537.png
47 KB, 829x452
>>29560387
>This kills the Rey apologist
>>
>>29573529
>hating women this much that they can't be the cool character in a fantasy movie they're in a leading role in
>>
>>29567659
>>29568060
LUKE SKYWALKER CONFIRMED MARY SUE
>>
>>29560642
I think its trying to hint at that the pilot might also be force sensitive.
>>
>>29573929
>Rey and the pilot are brother and sister
>Luke is their father
>NotDarth Vader is their cousin
>family feud goes galactic
>>
>>29573659
Not that anon but how is that "lel hating women xD!!!!!!" in any way?

Rey would have been a much, much better character if they had just opted not to turn her into a fucking Mary Sue. I hate that, it's obnoxious no matter the race or gender of the character and it's a sign of piss-poor writing. Want a female protagonist? Make one that isn't "oh I can do literally everything!!!!!!"

At least they didn't play up the "she's a woman" aspect, that would just be insult to injury.
>>
File: darth.jpg (14 KB, 300x141) Image search: [Google]
darth.jpg
14 KB, 300x141
>>29561998
Darth Vader stopped a blaster bolt too
>>
>>29559071
derivative and unambitious
the only two words to describe star wars ever
>>
>>29567705
Every first movie in a trilogy now has had a mentor to the protagonist get rekt by a lightsaber towards the end of the film for drama. Pottery.
>>
>>29558787

I would say her beating him wasn't much of a stretch, but not because of the staff/sword thing. She was also getting her ass handed to her for most of that fight until she cleared her head and actually focused, something Ren was pretty incapable of doing at the time.

>>29568983

He was also in a pretty fucked up state of mind. Just murdered his own dad and terrified of fucking up and disappointing his master.
And let's also not forget that not only did that bolt send people flying earlier, it actually killed 2 stormtroopers just by hitting the ground near them. That's some pretty heavy shit.

>>29569202

I believe Luke was 19 in Episode 4.

>>29563107

>Kylo Ren is a Sith lord
Stopped reading there, you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>29567705
>kill off aging actor's character
That was the single most predictable thing they could have done.
>>
>>29573367
Not initially, if the implication is to be believed. From personal experience, the first two episodes of Satine's first arc make it sound like they fell super hard for each other, almost certainly banged, found irreconcilable differences with each other's personalities, and are meeting each other again, super salty with each other and themselves for getting so heavily romantically involved.
>>
>>29566142
Never, Disney will only make PG-13 films and make them by committee and always have a black and white morality.
>>
>>29578334
>Never, Disney will only make PG-13 films and make them by committee and always have a black and white morality.
>Implying that that isn't fine for Star Wars, a fantasy movie series with space wizard monks and classical good versus evil tales
>>
>>29574415
"deflected with special gauntlets that can temporarily withstand grazing lightsaber blows" is not the same as "stopped in midair with the force while the user has some dialog and does bad guy stuff that would otherwise require unnatural levels of talent and power"

Seriously. Vader's gauntlets are some sort of legendary sith gauntlets according to the EU.
>>
>>29579927
EU isn't canon anymore, nor was it at the time that movie was made.

Vader deflected that blaster bolt the same way yoda stopped force lightning.
Using the force.
>>
>>29579941
aye, but he didn't stop it in midair
>>
>>29579945
Most likely because the film makers didn't have the tech to make it happen back then, or look well enough. Either that or they just didn't think of it.
>>
>>29558787
Your mom is an expert at wielding my shaft. I bet she could beat even beat Rey.
>>
>>29558896
>UMG, Rey's a Mary Sue. They fucked up my Star Wars!

Isn't Luke? Or is it only okay when the Mary Sue is a guy? I swear you faggots just wanted to hate it, no matter what.

>UMG a gurl
>UMG a black guy

Faggots
>>
>>29558787
>Staff and sword fighting are basically the same thing

Just like an ak is basically and ar
>>
>>29560465
To be fair, Kylo had taken a shot to the gun and a lightsaber to the arm. It was a miracle he was still on his feet.
>>
>>29581392
exactly
>>
>>29560702
The darkside runs on angst and rage.

That being said, Kylo wanted Rey alive while Rey was prepared to kill Kylo.
>>
>>29562985
One of the new books goes over this but the book is shit tier so don't waste your time on it.
>Battle of Endor
Emperor gets BTFO'd. This is basically the turning point. Without the Emperor the Empire starts to fragment internally and allows the rebellion to gain lots of ground.
>Battle of Jaku
>Muh tie in
Here the Rebellion forces a confrontation with the remaining majority of the Imperial fleet. The Rebels win a crushing victory.
>Post Jaku
The Rebellion, now the New Republic solidifies their hold on most of the middle ring of systems of the galaxy. The inner stuff is held by Imperial Warlords or independent systems while the First Order is the remained of the loyal Imperial military that fled to outrim to rally around some new bad guy.

The New Republic is basically SJW run American colonies. The central government is weak, hates the military, and the individual systems are really powerful. The Senate votes every now and then to move the capital. That's why you see people that look like they work in government not dead after Death Star 3.0 XXL edition fires.

The First Order = Ukraine
The Resistance = Putin's little green men.
>>
you are now aware all the names were chosen to be single short syllables to be easier to remember for children
>>
>>29565951

>sun gets completely absorbed
>still moonlight during the last fight
>>
>>29559137
>>29565951
it takes place between revenge of the sith and a new hope you simpletons. not a new deathstar.
>>
>>29582068
The Force Awakens happens 30 years after Return of the Jedi. Starkiller base is basically a new Death Star.

How do you not know this?
>>
>>29582023
Maybe it was another star nearby or light pollution from elsewhere on the planet. There's enough shit built on the planet that could cast light. Hell, there was a planetary shield that they turned off and an entire sun was just absorbed: something's got to glow somewhere.
>>
>>29582068
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>29581356
>>Isn't Luke?
>Luke being a Mary Sue
Uh no? For most of the first movie Luke doesn't know his own ass from a hole in the ground and gets in trouble a lot, it's only until partway through his training with Yoda does he get himself squared away.

You want a male Mary Sue? Try Poe. Fucking flies around demolishing tie fighter after tie fighter while doing loops and shit and then swings around and places pinpoint shots on fucking infantry while recovering from a wingover? Yeah talk about pure bullshit.

>>UMG a black guy

Shut the fuck up would you? Finn's the most believable fucking character in the movie. You're the very definition of liberal scum trying to argue points nobody's making.

Seriously, I'd wager most of the anons here would have gone "yeah, I like Rey" if they made her more believable and more... lively? Have some spirit. Right now she's a Bethesda protagonist and we're all feeling nostalgic about setting out from Arroyo and Vault 13, whoever wrote the movie fucked it all up and so did JJ Abrams.

>>29581981
>you are now aware all the names were chosen to be single short syllables to be easier to remember for children
... you're right. Fuck.

I wouldn't be surprised if "marketing" or whatever got in on that decision.
>>
>>29582215
thought you were talking about the new one.
>>
File: CONSUME.png (142 KB, 594x792) Image search: [Google]
CONSUME.png
142 KB, 594x792
>>29558818
Obey.Consum.Watch tv.Sleep.Repeat.
>>
File: CONSUME.png (146 KB, 594x792) Image search: [Google]
CONSUME.png
146 KB, 594x792
>>29583544
>>
File: tumblr_miwwd2DAPq1s71q1zo1_1280.jpg (328 KB, 875x793) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_miwwd2DAPq1s71q1zo1_1280.jpg
328 KB, 875x793
>>29583544
>>29583563
>>
>>29585738
>everybody has a penis

is this like a children's book explaining how there's no chicks on the internet?
>>
>>29570264
>You now realize that Luke acted the exact same way in the first movie for a while there.

This.

Luke had an afternoon of training with Obi-wan in the first movie. He had no other training and was already able to pull the lightsaber from the snow in empire and take down an AT-AT by himself.

He then had another few weeks of training with yoda but there was no combat training in that time. It was all helping luke cast away his own limitations. After that he never returned to complete his training as yoda died.

If Kylo Ren was a former student of Luke it is likely he had no lightsaber training either. Luke would have taught them the way he was taught (controlling fear, staying calm, and believe in yourself).

After the betrayal Kylo Ren only ever used his lightsaber to execute captives and even at the start of the film he only showed up when the battle was over. He probably had very little combat experience because he was coward and unsure of himself.

tl;dr

Kylo Ren was a shit fighter and a coward who was unsure of his own abilities from the start of the film until the end of it. Distrusting himself made him weak.
>>
>>29560788
motherfucker the Skyhopper was the closest thing a civilian could get to an X-wing/Tie Fighter also he was wasting WOMP RATS, it's like if you strapped a rifle to a bi plane and actually hit a chihuahua while going at full speed, also he was pretty much on par with his squadron if anything the pro on that battle was Wedge (which atleast in the non canon EU was better pilot than Luke by a mile)
>>
kylo had a blaster hole in him. good fucking luck doing anything with a giant hole in your side. those muscles are used for pretty much everything. he fought fin with the hole in his side, which would do nothing but aggravate the pain, muscle damage and blood loss. after fin, he then went on to fight a powerfull force user rey. if you want to be "realistic" he would have layed on the ground and screamed after he had a blaster hole torched into him.
>>
File: tumblr_muechikWWv1s71q1zo1_1280.png (793 KB, 550x920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muechikWWv1s71q1zo1_1280.png
793 KB, 550x920
>>29586482
It's parody work from here: http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/
>>
>>29566328
his crystal is broken that's why he had to have the exhaust ports on his saber, they probably will give him a normal lightsaber on the eight one, or maybe just for the lulz they will bullshit the crossguard in without no in universe explanation
>>
>>29566433
but instead of Dash we get another mary sue... not what I was expecting
>>
>>29560788
>Thats like translating from cessna 152 to F-15.
Are you the Chrysler versus F-22 guy again?

No, it's like "translating" a F/A-18B Trainer and then getting put in the cockpit of an F/A-18F SuperHornet. T16 Skyhoppers have the same controls as the T65 X-Wing, you would know this if you weren't retarded.

>>29586562
>Luke had an afternoon of training with Obi-wan in the first movie.
And did absolutely no lightsaber fighting at all until the second movie.
>already able to pull the lightsaber from the snow
After being harassed by a Force ghost and spending considerable effort he barely managed something Rey did effortlessly
>take down an AT-AT by himself
Yes, because an AT-AT has squads of space pirates armed with lightcutlasses defending against plucky farm boys from the Outer Rim.

Do note Han Solo figured out how to use a lightsaber as well with no training. It's not exactly a fucking complicated weapon when the usage consists of "press button, swing."

>He then had another few weeks of training with yoda but there was no combat training in that time.
That we saw???? Also remember that his first lightsaber fight, like an actual battle between swordsman on swordsman, he got his hand cut off and nearly died.

>it is likely he had no lightsaber training either
"I'm pulling shit out of my ass now."

>even at the start of the film he only showed up when the battle was over.
Oh you mean like every other fucking Sith Lord ever? Showing up to gloat after his troops wrecked the living piss out of the good guys/villagers/townspeople/wild space frogs???

>Kylo Ren was a shit fighter and a coward who was unsure of his own abilities from the start of the film until the end of it.
I can agree with this and the turbo badguy said he was ready to complete his training after getting fucking wrecked. Kylo Ren, for all of his whiny bitch boy attitude, was an actually well-rounded character compared to the "look at me I can do anything!!!!" protagonist.
>>
>>29566051
They didn't give a fly fuck if this movie was successful or not. They made 4.6 billion dollars in merchandise before the film even came out.
>>
File: obiwan.jpg (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
obiwan.jpg
19 KB, 400x300
Kylo Ren was a big fat girl who got wasted by Rey. It's important to think of Kylo as a heavily diluted Padme more than a highly diluted Anakin, whereas Rey is either a somewhat diluted Anakin or a some what diluted Obi Wan

I'm hoping Obi because enough with the Skywalkers
>>
>>29559167
but it's a rebellion, she's rebellious, it makes perfect sense!
>>
>>29560465
I'm more annoyed by the fact that everybody just adores her from minute one, fucking Han offers her a spot on the Falcon;s crew, Leia acts like they're old friends, ect.
She's a 10 year old's definition of a good character, great at everything and everyone likes her
>>
>>29586839
I'm kinda hoping that he somehow got a hold of Vader's old lightsaber (or remaining pieces) and made his from the pieces. It would be an easy explanation as to why he's got a cracked crystal and would easily play to his "vader is my fetish" stuff.
>>
File: Flying Tigers.jpg (2 MB, 3832x3096) Image search: [Google]
Flying Tigers.jpg
2 MB, 3832x3096
>>29562985
>>29581748

I'd probably draw a bigger comparison to the Flying Tigers in China, though it's not quite as clean.

The Republic, clearly, isn't doing too well. They're not in control of Coruscant (sort of the prerequisite to being the reigning power in the Galaxy), their hero Luke Skywalker has up and vanished, and they're still juggling relations with dozens of Imperial warlords and remnants who could easily wipe the floor with them. This is on top of the usual politicking, dithering, and cuckoldry the Senate historically juggles with.

So, when you have a political hardliner and aging Rebel like Leia pushing for military action against a bunch of backwater Imperial wannabes and Dark Side cultists, what does the politically-astute Senate do? They give her some token materiel support, find some crazy disaffected pilots, soldiers, and refugees who have an axe to grind with this "First Order", and send her on her merry way. Leia's gone, the First Order is being dealt with (on paper), and they have the space and attention to deal with other problems (usually, other Senators).
>>
>>29587498
>Multiple hints that Han and Leia know who she is, but it's kept a secret for reasons
I know who wasn't paying attention in the theater!
>>
File: based magyar does not like.jpg (19 KB, 325x340) Image search: [Google]
based magyar does not like.jpg
19 KB, 325x340
>>29566055
>>29566105

Yes and yes, though it wasn't the Empire that exactly became the new rebels.

It's insanely complicated, but the post-Original Trilogy history of the galaxy worked out something similar to Episode VII. After the Rebels killed the Emperor and toppled the central government of the Empire, they proceeded to retake Coruscant and restore the Republic. Luke Skywalker got married and founded a new Jedi Order in which boning was permitted, Han and Leia pumped out a few kids, and everyone spent time battling some random warlords, uppity ayyliens, or a resurrected Palpatine every now and then.

Then, Yuuzhan Vong invasion happens. They were Star Wars' equivalent to the Borg, an extragalactic nation of nomadic organo-tech religious zealots who commune with their gods via sadomasochism. The war takes decades, kills trillions, and eventually ends when the final Imperial Remnants chip in and Luke Skywalker saves the day (again).

Things get much more interesting after the Vong. The Republic, having been utterly wrecked in the war (including having Coruscant terraformed into an alien jungle), gets much more Orwellian, suspending Senatorial activities and even putting one of Han and Leia's kids (a secret Sith apprentice) in charge of their Homeland Security equivalent. Tensions rise between them, the Jedi Order, and Han's home system of Corellia who want out of the Republic.

Cue the Second Galactic Civil War.
>>
>>29587983
Oh hey, this thread is still here.

>or a resurrected Palpatine every now and then
say what now? pulp face comes back from the dead?
>>
>>29588053
>say what now? pulp face comes back from the dead?

On occasion. I think he tried to possess one of the Solo kids as a baby.

Truth be told, it was a weird time for the EU.
>>
File: clones.jpg (37 KB, 500x311) Image search: [Google]
clones.jpg
37 KB, 500x311
>>29559167
rebel alliance is more so FSA. Star Wars and the original EU was like an odd premonition of the future of the Middle East, specifically Syria.

>all major conflict in the Galaxy at some point comes down the the ancient religious feud of Jedi vs Sith (shia vs sunni)
>for thousands of years, The Galaxy is ruled by a corrupt, loose, government that can't even prevent slavery within it's borders
>this government doesn't even have enough of a military to prevent a huge chunk of it, the Separatist, from attempting to secede, showing it's frailty and instability
>eventually, a new leader comes a long, Palpatine, who has been preparing an army and manages to defeat these Separatist
>Palpatine, then uses said army, the clone army, to overthrow jedi influence and centralize power into himself (similar to the many military coups through out Middle Eastern History, notably those in Syria and Libya)
>Palpatine goes on to rule the Galaxy for years with an iron fist, but maintains stability, even reconquering the Galaxy's outer rim
>Various provincial monarchs, senators, and surviving war lords decide Palpatine is too harsh and decide to remove him from power, so they form an allied rebel front of all their causes, and many of those monarchs fund this venture secretly (similar to the formation of the FSA and it's secretive funding from the Gulf states)
>eventually this rebellion gains support of the oppressed yet somewhat powerful religious minority, the Jedi, who manage to overthrow the Empire, although the jedi primarily care not about it's policies, but it's Sith leadership, despite Sith ideology not having to much influence on the laws provided to the people other than those barring Jedi activity due to thousands of years the Sith were oppressed by Jedi
>Eventually, the Empire is overthrown
>but now there is a power vacuum, and no one is able to fill it.

cont.
>>
Kylo got his asskicked by a girl. He is an emo pussy, as all villians are.
>>
File: we're a culture.jpg (59 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
we're a culture.jpg
59 KB, 500x315
>>29588211
>infighting occurs, and tension remains between the fledgling republic, the remainder of the Empire, and various systems wanting more autonomy then that granted by the Republic.
>All these forces remain weak and divided
>Eventually, in the EU, the Yuuzhan Vong attacked

Now here is where it goes full Syria

>for those who don't know, the Yuuzhan Vong were a barbaric species of religious zealots with a burning hatred for technology and tolerance (now this here, is space ISIS)
>they attack the galaxy from outside the Galaxy, first attacking the the now drastically weakened Empire, who previously may have been able to defeat them (similar to the ISIS invasion of Eastern Syria from Iraq, and how Assad's war weary forces were defeated by them in the area)
>they continue to rampage through various factions, such as the rebels (FSA) and Mandalorians (Kurds)

Now in the end, these forces, in order to defeat the Vong, had to align with each other, essentially once again becoming the cohesive force that was the Empire, almost admitting their fault in opposition of the large government in such an unstable Galaxy.

tl:dr, Bashar Al Assad is secretly Sheev Palpatine, and George Lucas says if you don't join the Ba'ath Party then intergalactic terrorist will kill you and your family.
>>
>>29558787
As someone who's at least moderately skilled in three different kinds of swords (classical two handed, foil, and saber), no, it's not the same. Please close this thread for the love of God.
>>
>>29558843
>It is worth noting that Ren had been shot in the leg though which severely hampered his mobility and the strength he could put behind his strikes.
Yeah, they kept putting emphasis on how dunk chewie's bowcaster was throughout the movie, I liked that
>>
Man, why did Finn keep throwing away his blaster.
There was even that bit where they explicitly draw attention to Han giving him a blaster, and like two scenes later he's all "I NEED A WEAPON!"
And then at the end he just tosses away his blaster to check on the wounded girl, goddamn man, just fuckin shoot the guy
>>
>>29589131
>just fuckin shoot the guy
The guy he knows can pause blaster bolts mid-air?
>>
>>29589242
Well, I really wanted him to shoot right after he stabbed Han.
Like Chewie.
>>
They should give Rey a double-sided saber like Darth Maul, it'd make more sense since she's used to the staff.
>>
kek la kek
>>
>>29589406
A lightstaff would make more sense since, you know, it's a staff.
>>
>>29591148
yeah but those suck
>>
File: 1460417500839.jpg (86 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1460417500839.jpg
86 KB, 960x640
>tfw
>>
>>29560738
>Darth Maul
>semi-competent
monica have you even paid attention to current continuity? Darth Maul has survived numerous encounters with Obi-wan let alone the fact that in rebels he is still a main villain.
>>
>>29593048

fake
>>
>>29588053
Clone bodies and shit.
IIRC, he tried to posess Luke as well.
>>
>>29560743
The new star wars was made for children, so you aren't wrong.
>>
>>29581981
You'd have to be blind to not see what Disney is doing with the franchise. They care very little for the original fanbase, they want the children.
>>
>>29561542

Wrong film dipshit.
>>
>>29581981
as if the original movies weren't the same way
>>
>>29558787
Fuck Disney's CGI-enhanced fanfic. It ain't Star Wars.
>>
>>29595709
Damn Phil, back at it again with being one of the worst trips on this board.

1. It's fucking Star Wars whether you like it or not.
2. Abrams is known to go out of his way in order to NOT use CGI unless absolutely necessary. Would you prefer a horribly outdated space battle like in the original battle of Yavin.
3. There was way more CGI in the prequel trilogy, back when it was under Fox.
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.