[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats /k/'s thoughts on the Ariete?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
Whats /k/'s thoughts on the Ariete?
>>
>>29556077
it's alriete
>>
Looks like a challenger 1 with down syndrome
>>
File: C1 Ariete uparmored irak.jpg (47 KB, 850x636) Image search: [Google]
C1 Ariete uparmored irak.jpg
47 KB, 850x636
>>29556077

In terms of design and performance, the C1 Ariete is very close to the South-Korean K1A1.
>>
File: 1311948270220.jpg (58 KB, 402x500) Image search: [Google]
1311948270220.jpg
58 KB, 402x500
>Italian
>>
>>29556077
It won no export contracts. Says it all really.
>>
>>29556506
>Says it all

That says nothing.
>>
>>29556206
kekz
>>
>>29556512

Even the Leclerc saw limited use outside of France.

Also Italian fighting vehicles are disgusting
>>
>>29556477
>Implying there is anything wrong with Italian equipment

They produce a lot of quality stuff desu. The brits love their Iveco LMV's, the Italian FREMM is by far the best one, oh and there's also Oto Melara which you might have heard of.
>>
>>29556756
Wonder what version of the LMV they bought. The ones we had fulfilled every italian car stereotype i can think of
>>
>>29556506

>if it isnt exported its shit

Hey faggot, export deals rarly has anything to do with the preformace of systems anymore.
>>
>>29556823
They are pretty much the only instances outsiders can somewhat compare the performance of competitors. Performance characteristics of heavy equipment like tanks, ships and airplanes are classified. But with enough procurement competitions one can form a picture.
>>
>>29556506
If you want to sell systems with American tech in it, you need their permission, because you signed a contract saying they can stop you from selling their tech further, effectively whenever they please
>>
>>29556810
A bribong who posted his deployment pictures loved them and also from what i read they were a quality vehicle, which is also supported by how many were sold worldwide.
>>
>>29556867
No

Or is the F-22 shit?
>>
>>29556927
F-22 was never offered for export, so nobody outside of the US and Chinese hackers have a good idea of exactly what it can do.

There are comments from pilots who train at red flag who say that if the F-22 doesn't mount the Luneberg lens on a hop, then the exercise is basically a waste of fuel.
>>
>>29556659
Leclercs kicked some Houthis ass in Yemen apparently.
>>
>>29556908
I both used and maintained them for over a year, and I can attest to them being quite capable of-road and in the roles we used them for, but i wont call them quality, at least the LMV-1 and -2 versions that we used.

Some of the things that we noticed:
-The door hinges were taken straight from a civilian truck, so you can imagine what happens when you use them with a 50kg armored door. One car had 2 doors drop completely off while in a firefight.
-The engine was a 5-cylinder diesel taken from a Iveco truck. Nice engine, but had one strange problem. The cooling fan used a magnet to activate/de-activate, and the sudden torque put on the crankshaft at activation caused the whole crankshaft to break over time. We fixed it by putting on viscous-torque converters
-The seats were not designed for anyone over 180cm, making your knees hit the dashboard/internal roll-bar and make anything more than a quick ride quite painful.
-Same seats did not go over well with body-armor, causing unn-comfort and quite a few cases of people un-fit for missions due to back-ake.
-The car had a "on-the-move tire inflation system" that, you guessed it, would break if actually used while the car was moving.
-The car had no cabin air filter. This caused a certain problem in places like Afghanistan, where the fucking sand and dust would ruin the bearings on the AC-fans. And being Italian, this changing those required taking apart the whole front cabin and changing the entire AC-unit, a box the size of a small fridge since you cant get the fan as a stand-alone part.

Cont
>>
>>29557056

Iveco 5 cylinders are sturdy as fuck, but there's always a little something wrong with it, mine as an example refuse to deliver hydraulic pressure when the motor is under 1700-ish RPM.

Which is like, always, on a diesel engine.

So you better get used to strike the brake pedal with the fury of a thousand exploding suns if you want it just to deccelerate a little.
>>
>>29557056
--For some reason, the procedure for changing the fan-belts involved a tuning fork. As in, you flip the belt and record the Hz. And you would get a lot of training in this, since the belts would snap all the time. Now, changing a belt is no biggie, except the people at Iveco figured that 10cm clearing was to much, thus requiring the whole front of the car to be dis-assembled. Front bumper, hood, intercooler, ac-pack, radiator, fan, you name it.
-The electrical chart was made by some dude who wanted to go home early for lunch, thus making no sense for someone used to German or Swedish layouts. But you got used to them. Nice of them to change it completely between models, even though 99% of the components were the same between the LAV 1-3.
-The cabins, themself considered blast-cells, started developing cracks. When water came into these cracks you got broken Kevlar or something, meaning that you lost quite a lot of the whole "blast-cell"-idea.

The cars went as fuck in the terrain though. We used them to pull HMMWV's up hills that they couldt go themself, so that was quite impressive. The 4x4 also kicked ass. But fuck me if maintaining them made me convinced never to buy an Italian car
>>
>>29556881
Before it could even come to that the Ariete would have to actually win a procurement competition, or there would have to be indication of such a decision beforehand, like e.g. from the UK regarding potential sales of the Gripen to Argentina.
>>
File: 1459376814231.jpg (128 KB, 600x936) Image search: [Google]
1459376814231.jpg
128 KB, 600x936
>>29556077

>Italian

Have the pasta niggers made anything good in the past 500 years?

They're basically catholic Arabs.
>>
>>29557252

The OTO melara 76 is a pretty good gun.
>>
File: typical italian.jpg (49 KB, 233x369) Image search: [Google]
typical italian.jpg
49 KB, 233x369
>>29557252

>Italians
>white
>>
>>29557252
Benallis, Berettas, amazing food, beautiful women?

Architecture?

Other than that, not much.
>>
>>29556970
>There are comments from pilots who train at red flag who say that if the F-22 doesn't mount the Luneberg lens on a hop, then the exercise is basically a waste of fuel.
what?
>>
>>29557523
>

I'm willing to bet there are over a dozen northern European analogs which are as good or better.
>>
>>29557685
then where the fuck are they and why has nobody bought any?
>>
File: C1 Ariete.jpg (113 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
C1 Ariete.jpg
113 KB, 1024x768
>>29556077
Since, as far as I know, its never been deployed, its basically impossible to know how it stacks up.
>>
File: 1458748056696.jpg (72 KB, 960x718) Image search: [Google]
1458748056696.jpg
72 KB, 960x718
>>29557677

>amazing food

Poverty-tier mixtures of cheap ingredients like pasta with tomato paste, because meat in spaghetti land was rare and expensive.. You call that amazing food?

I guess if you're some TV-dinner type trailer park dweller.

>Benallis

Overpriced shotguns done better by many others.

>Berettas

All-around sub-par.

>beautiful women

If you like hairy, short, dark, square-shaped goblins, agreed.
>>
>>29557883

>Implying shipping a tank to police sand niggers is a metric by which it is rated on

God, you're stupid.

No Western MBT has currently been in a large-scale armored conflict except for the Merkava.
>>
>>29556506
By this logic, the F22 is shite?
>>
>>29558056
The Merkava entered service five years after Israel's last large scale armored engagemebt.
>>
>>29558056

Merkava hasn't either. The last proper armoured conflict was Desert Storm and that was a bunch of unequipped monkey model T-72s and T-55s that lacked any sort of sabot round vs the best in the world at that point.
>>
>>29558056

Only Abrams and Challenger have, since they actually shot at tanks and not delusional teenagers with slings.

Merkava is the worst out of the modern MBT's for high intensity warfare, it is the best for counter insurgency. Israel acknowledges this, which is why they say the Merkava is not the best tank in the world, but rather the best tank for Israel, which is true.
>>
>>29558058
How often was it offered for sale?
>>
File: smugblinicat.png (148 KB, 378x293) Image search: [Google]
smugblinicat.png
148 KB, 378x293
>>29556506
In that logic all of Japans equiptment is shite, I doubt that.
>>
>>29558039
>Being this pleb
>>
>>29558536
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/13/business/international/with-ban-on-exports-lifted-japan-arms-makers-cautiously-market-wares-abroad.html?_r=0

You should stick to cat pictures as you apparently know nothing of the world of arms. It's been only recently that Japan's manufacturers are even allowed to export weapons. And already it looks like they're gonna win the Australian Collins-class submarine replacement contract.
>>
>>29558085

>Doesn't know Bekkae Valley encounter with Syrian T-72s
>>
>>29556983
And if an Arab army can use it to any good effect imagine what an actual army could do.
>>
File: retard.jpg (31 KB, 209x285) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
31 KB, 209x285
>>29556506
so according to your gay ass
the T55 is the greatest MBT ever created
get bent, fuckboi
>>
>>29559755

Difference is that the Ariete was a cheaper alternative to other western MBTs and got nothing from anywhere.

Even Challenger 2's, which were notoriously shitty to sell and train with, got export deals and that's a hard sell when Britain was selling them for £10 million a unit.
>>
>>29559755
It certainly was a superb tank when it was introduced.
>>
>>29559755

If you could replace the 100mm gun with a 105mm and use modern munitions while upgrading everything else as well?

Would be a decent MBT for any non-western/Chinese backed nation.

Remember that not everyone is playing in the same sandpit as the US and when you are fighting other monkey models, then the T-55 is adequate to kill all IFVs and similar tech on the market.
>>
>>29559982
you are a idiot
>>
>>29557678
He's taking a quote somewhat out of context. A US general said that they don't train with other planes unless they have the Luneberg lens, or else it's a waste of fuel for everyone. The other guys don't find anything interesting about getting blasted out of the blue, and needing to fly back to base. The F-22 guys don't challenge themselves doing so, and thus don't learn much of anything. As such, they aren't done.
>>
Italian here, I think it's alright. Our country is like Japan: we cannot truly support heavy MBT's, so we went their same way with MBT development.

It's stupidly light for a tank and won't be of any use in any of the current middle east scenarios, where the terrain is really "heavy tank country". But for its purpose (defending Italy) it's a fine vehicle, and it would rock in any country with a lot of hard to cross terrain and light bridges.

>>29556506
You are multiple layers of retard. It's pretty obviously not meant for export.
>>
>>29559962
>hurfy durfy all tanks r same

Ariete: ultra light mbt meant specifically for defense in Italy

Chally 2: big ass heavy MBTs

I wonder why Ariete did not get exported. Maybe the Italians didn't even want it exported. Maybe it was never built to be exported.
Did that ever cross your mind?
You realize you're talking of one of the biggest arms exporters in the world as if they were retarded or something?

Italy is not big on exporting heavier armored vehicles, but that's because they don't really need to dip their toes into that market more than they do today (which is, very little), they're bigger on lightly armored vehicles such as the Iveco LMV. If we want to look at an export failure, I guess it's the Centauro maybe.
>>
>>29556506
Exports are 99% politics.
>>
>>29559962
>all MBTs are the same and designed for the same purposes
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.