[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good .177cal airgun for plinking and small game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: A000_0190.jpg (228 KB, 1295x624) Image search: [Google]
A000_0190.jpg
228 KB, 1295x624
What's a good .177cal airgun for plinking and small game hunting (up to raccoon) between $100 and $120 bucks
>>
>>29549135

Just google it yourself. Anything that can reach 1000fps with those .177 pellets is gonna be fine. It's better to get a break action so you don't have to buy compressed air.

source:

I used to shoot squirrels, birds, rabbits, and rattlesnakes in the woods in Florida with a Winchester .177
>>
>>29549206
My friend is really into air rifles ( and I know nothing about them ) and we stumbled across some today while I was going to pick up a knife I ordered. He mentioned I should never buy one below 1200 FPS if I ever do. He was specifically thinking of hunting when he said it ( I think ) and he hasn't steered me wrong yet so I figure I'd just pass what he said to me to you.
>>
File: logun_s16_1200.gif (158 KB, 1200x481) Image search: [Google]
logun_s16_1200.gif
158 KB, 1200x481
I picked up a Logun S16 something like ten years ago. It's my go to wildlife exterminator. Christ knows how many squirrels and rats i've killed over the years.

It's well built, reliable, accurate, and easy to use. Little on the heavy side, and filling the reservoir by hand can get exhausting after a while, but i'm glad I bought it.
>>
>>29549352
1200fps is the legal upper limit in a number of countries, if memory serves, so that's the most common figure by far since most global manufacturers will want to be able to reach the widest audience.
>>
>>29549532
Newer versions have an actual bolt handle, which is nice. The straight pull on the original is kind of clunky and really chews up your hand in colder months.
>>
File: 32457342.jpg (72 KB, 1024x300) Image search: [Google]
32457342.jpg
72 KB, 1024x300
GAMO makes a bunch of good air rifles. Theyve even got one specifically for shooting feral cats.
>>
File: baracudaHE.jpg (144 KB, 900x595) Image search: [Google]
baracudaHE.jpg
144 KB, 900x595
>>29549352

fps is meaningless. The stat you want is fpe - foot pounds of energy. This refers to muzzle energy, and the legal limit in many countries is 12 fpe (16.3 Joules).

Generally, for hunting, you want a .22, since a typical .177 pellet is around 8 grains, and a typical .22 pellet is around 15 grains, so at the same muzzle energy you get better energy conservation downrange.

Having your pellets go supersonic is not all that great, even though the 1000+ fps used to be a meme for a while.

For plinking, and target shooting most people use .177, since you get higher muzzle velocity and flatter trajectory, and with something like pic related you can take a rabbit at 30 yards no problem, even with a 12 fpe .177.
>>
>>29549988
I dont understand. you are saying .1 has higher muzzle velocity + flatter trajectory, yet it is not supersonic? educate me.
>>
>>29550124
.177** typo
>>
File: CZ 643.png (92 KB, 786x250) Image search: [Google]
CZ 643.png
92 KB, 786x250
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.