[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morning, /k/. How do you feel about steel GI mags like this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: mag-068_1.jpg (12 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
mag-068_1.jpg
12 KB, 480x480
Morning, /k/. How do you feel about steel GI mags like this? Reliable, shitty, better than pmags, or what?
>>
The ones with the green followers are shit. Other than that I would say the new ones aren't much worse than Pmags, just heavier.
>>
>>29545403
Like >>29545425 said upgraded followers are a must and please don't buy used surplus ever.
>>
https://www.botach.com/ets-ar15-m4-translucent-5-56mm-30rd-magazines

Here you go OP. Much better than Pmags, which are arguably better than GI in several respects. Unless of course you want GI mags just for the aesthetics, in that case just don't buy used surplus like other anon said, and make sure they have anti-tilt followers installed.
>>
File: which.png (483 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
which.png
483 KB, 1920x1200
>>29545403
> they both work

Use what you prefer.

I prefer PMags and Hexmags. I especially like the new Magpul Sand PMags because you can easily dye them and get a camo pattern or design that won't wear off easily. Despite their unique issues, PMags also tend to be a little more durable.
>>
>>29545403
They work if they have the correct followers.
>not exclusively using lancers
>>
>>29546259
How long have you been using the hexmags? I grabbed a couple randomly the other day, but haven't shot with them.

Right off the bat, though, the seem to flex more than PMags despite having what appears to be thicker feed lips. Also the nose of the follower dips a little low for my comfort when I really press it down.
>>
>>29545403
I trust Pmags more based on experience. However the tan follower GI mags are ok, just make sure that checking their feedlips is part of your normal maintenance routine.

Black or green follower USGI mags are straight trash.
>>
>>29545457
>Much better than Pmags
In what regard? They look like lancers without the metal feed lips...
>>
File: hexmag_m4a1.png (856 KB, 700x1400) Image search: [Google]
hexmag_m4a1.png
856 KB, 700x1400
>>29546363
I picked a few up pretty much as soon as they became available from my LGS in early '14. However, they were the 15-rounders. He only recently started getting 30-rounders. I had to remove the blocks in mine and buy replacement springs to get them back to 30-rounders. I got some (probably fake) Magpul springs off ebay, but they work. The magazine bodies are all stamped 6/13.

> I don't make a habit of driving trucks over them
I haven't noticed any more flex in them than with my Magpul PMags. They insert and lock up on a closed bolt without protest, and they drop free. I've also not had any feed issues, even with my stubby 300 BLK loads.

I mainly got them because the internal rib seemed like they'd be a little more forgiving for 300 BLK. They also wanted to do pic related for mag identification.
>>
>>29545403
Steel mags wear out your mag catch and mag well faster than plastic or aluminum.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.