[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/ former antigun liberal-turned-homeowner. I'm in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (266 KB, 1487x1980) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266 KB, 1487x1980
Hi /k/ former antigun liberal-turned-homeowner. I'm in the market for some manual home defense, namely a handgun. Since I know next to nothing, I seek your wisdom in identifying a sidearm with these characteristics:
>reliable
>adequate stopping power
>ease of use/comfortability

Thanks in advance :)
>>
Glock.
>>
glock 17 or 19 using hollowpoints
>>
Glock
>>
Glock 17
>>
>>29544661
Klobb 17 gen 4
>>
>>29544665
>>29544669
>>29544666
Satanic trips checked. Ok, since Glock is the consensus, that's a great starting point. I'll ask the gun shop owner more today. Anything else I should know before I buy? Any critical accessories?
>>
>>29544661
Just ask your wife's son, he probably knows more than you do you fucking cuck.
>>
>>29544698
>Anything else I should know before I buy?
If a Glock doesn't fit in your hand comfortable like then don't bother with it because nothing you can do will make it fit right.

In that case get an M&P 9 or something. Ask to try out multiple handguns to see what suits.
>>
>>29544701
Lol I have know knowledge beyond the COD BO3 loadout selectIons. I'm not married, just engaged. And we don't have children, just a house.
>>
>>29544710
Thank you anon. I was under the impression that there wasn't much variability in the grips, but I'll make sure to consider.
>>
>see manbun with massive beard skeletor and anorexic twat talking to a real-estate lady in a canary yellow suit in my neighborhood.
>roll by in an emissions exempt Corvair WOT.

Need to convert them. Commencing magdumps on the weekends.
>>
>>29544711
>being this unacquainted with the freshest, dankest memes.
>>
AR15.
>but that's not a pistol!
Put a 20" barrel on it and use a sig brace.
>>
>>29544725
Hearty chuckles
>>
>>29544726
>Cuck meme
>fresh
>>
>>29544661
I'd say buy a shotgun. Pistol calibers of any type aren't very good at killing people.
>>
>>29544743
Need to cross train the old lady to use it in the event I'm not home. She's already skeptical about a sidearm of any sort, since she's of Canadian origin. I think convincing her to keep a 36" mammoth of a gun under the bed is a bridge too far
>>
>>29544743
>of any type
>.460
>.500
>.50ae
>.44
>.454
Okay.
>>
>>29544743
>Pistol calibers of any type aren't very good at killing people.
I remember what it was like being under 21.
>>
>>29544725
But we're moving to a nice neighborhood anon
>>
>>29544749
Again, fuccboi, AR15.
>lightweight
>no recoil
>easier to aim
>easier to shoot
>high capacity
>simple to operate
>less overpenetration than handguns
>so easy a child soldier could do it
>>
>>29544757
>>less overpenetration than handguns
You implying that a .223 or 5.556 has less penetration power than a 9mm?
>>
>>29544757
I can tell you right now that's off the table. I know I'm going out on a limb here but: equate it to having sex with a girl when u have a big dick. Start slow, ease it in, when she gets comfortable, go to town with the shoulder stocks and extended magazines
>>
>>29544756
We don't want manbuns in our neighborhood.
>>
>>29544767
Overpenetration, champ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qgQoej5zE
There's a huge amount of info on the subject out there, dig in.
>>
>>29544769
>I base all my decision on what the woman wants
Maybe this isn't the board for you.
>>
>>29544773
Ditto. High and tight all day, my friend.
>>
>>29544783
If you drive a truck, you can stay.
>>
>>29544782
I made the decision to become a gun owner - that satiates my needs. Now I'm trying to be amicable, because that's how compromise works. What're you, 15?
>>
>>29544794
Can't park trucks in the city anon. Rollin with a Nissan Altima
>>
>>29544775
My mistake.
>>
>>29544795
>compromise is someone else giving you the privilege to do something with your own life
You're improving, hopefully you'll grow out of this mindset over time.
>>
>>29544749
Reasonable

>>29544750
>>29544753
I amend my statement. Common pistol calibers don't kill as well as shotguns. Some anon posted sourced data that showed pistols just don't kill people as often as shotguns and rifles.
>>
>>29544824
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA
>>
>>29544813
>contentious little prick
>telling others to grow up
K m80
>>
>>29544834
I think you quoted the wrong post, let me help you.
>>29544795
>>
>>29544824
Duly noted. Not expressly intent on killing people, for what it's worth, just stopping them. Have an ADT system and looking to install window bars, but it's a pretty safe neighborhood. Had we moved to a gentrifying area, I might be inclined to explore those options. Thanks for your help, and especially the sourced info
>>
>>29544834
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh2xe4jnpk
>>
OP, rifles are easier to shoot accurately and in the case of 5.56, actually less likely to have overpenetration problems than shotguns or many handgun calibers. I know it sounds crazy but you WILL be better served by a long gun than a handgun. I swear to god.

If you INSIST on a handgun for home defense, here are the parameters I would insist on-

First- It MUST have a rail for attaching a light. You do not have the competency to shoot one handed while also holding and aiming a flashlight. Target identification is absolutely crucial and has tragic consequences if ignored. Your handgun NEEDS to have a light on it. End of story.

Second- I will get some flak for this but I absolutely do not recommend a Glock or any other handgun without a manual safety for a non-gun person to use for home defense. Get something with a nice big easy to click off safety lever.

Third- It should be a big heavy thing with very manageable recoil impulse. Big heavy guns inspire confidence you won't be carrying it so it can be a brick and everything is fine.

Given these parameters my personal suggestion would be a CZ-75 SP-01

Alternatively:
Beretta 92FS (one of the railed varieties, not super familiar with all the designations)

Sog Sauer P226 (no safety, but a decocked DA/SA is the next best thing)
>>
>>29544849
>Not expressly intent on killing people, for what it's worth, just stopping them.
Have fun with a lawsuit if you paralyze an attacker.
>>
>>29544836
Buying the weapon is my privilege (and right). Settling for a handgun is the compromise. I came here for gun advice; if I wanted to listed to a chorus of retards I'd go to /b/
>>
>>29544858
>Second- I will get some flak for this but I absolutely do not recommend a Glock or any other handgun without a manual safety for a non-gun person to use for home defense. Get something with a nice big easy to click off safety lever.
1911 confirmed.
>>
>>29544862
Seriously? Is this a thing? Even an intruder? Fuck...
>>
>>29544870
A compromise is a give and take.
What you've done is a concession.
>>
>>29544877
just blast them dead
>>
>>29544661
Go to a gun store and fingerfuck the guns, you need one that's comfortable in your hands.
Then get your ads to a range and practice till your hands bleed, if it's defense in a home invasion you need muscle memory to cause you will never be thinking clearly.

The gun is mechanical and inherently more reliable than us meat bags when shtf
>>
and remember to train with it and be safe~
>>
>>29544871
A 1911 would be okay but honestly just not the most practical option. Too expensive, too finicky.
>>
>>29544858
10/10 post. Thank you for the insight gunguy, incredibly helpful
>>
>>29544743
Joe Biden detected
>>
>>29544886
>>29544885
Noted. Thank you
>>
>>29544870
You're going to find a chorus of retards on any board, nigger
>>
>>29544897
Maybe it was my fault in assuming gun owners were inherently more responsible/thoughtful than the general public
>>
>>29544739
>The 'fresh' in 'fresh memes' referring to actual freshness
>>
>>29544903
>they disagree with me, that means they're immature and irresponsible!
>>
>>29544877
No it's not a thing unless you're in some shit state.

OP, make sure you and your family realize early on that "shooting to wound" isn't a thing when it comes to home defense. When it comes to your life and your family's life, you shoot as close to center mass as you can until the target stops moving. Never give someone who poses a threat to your family a second chance.
>>
>>29544661
Since you're selecting a handgun for home defense, you know more than nothing. Good choice.
>>
>>29544914
Wild inference, but ok. The implication was that there's less retards on this board than shitposting havens. By definition, retards are irresponsible
>>
File: image.jpg (367 KB, 2334x1366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
367 KB, 2334x1366
Honestly dude an AR is god tier for home defense.
>>
>>29544923
Care to elaborate? I'm getting mixed messages on the practicality of handguns vs long barrels for home defense
>>
>>29544858
A gun without a manual safety is fine...
>>
>>29544940
Home defense includes around the yard. Tucking a handgun in your waistband while you investigate the banging noise in your backyard is better than scaring the neighbors by running out with a shotgun.

If shit goes down in a regional emergency type situation, ala Katrina, having the choice to conceal while picking up your MREs or camping at a shelter is god tier.

Insomuch as a utility, a handgun lets you protect yourself while hiking without freaking people out too.

For safety around kids, a small biometric handgun safe is like 50 bucks and can be cabled around your bedstand and weighs less than 5 pounds. A similar setup for a longgun will require a big ass heavy safe, possible floor reinforcement, and is an all around pain in the ass.

For familiarity with your firearms, there are more handgun ranges than long gun ranges.

Handguns aren't without detriments though. A long gun is super easy to use for someone who's never even shot a gun. A handgun requires a lot of practice to hit something even 10 yards away. If you've never fired a handgun, you'll be shocked at how much it flips in your hand and seeks to throw itself into the air. The smaller your handgun, the more it becomes an issue.
>>
>>29544984
Oh yeah and over penetration is a myth. The amount of people killed per year by over penetration is near zero.
>>
>>29545002
Over-penetration in home defense means putting a bullet through 4 layers of drywall and destroying your $2k fridge.
>>
>>29544984
>>29545002
Thanks anon. /k/ doesn't disappoint
>>
>>29544903
Gun owners are inherently more responsible and thoughtful than the general public but this is /k/ and only 3% of us actually own guns.
>>
>>29544749
She's Canadian she's either used to deer rifles or hates guns.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1950x2504) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1950x2504
>>29545023
Calling bullshit!
I sold mine and waiting on getting a m and p in 9x19
I feel like most people on here can afford guns.
Pic related
>>
File: too poor to buy a makarov.png (111 KB, 574x380) Image search: [Google]
too poor to buy a makarov.png
111 KB, 574x380
>>29545023
I'm nofuns but at least I'm learning things.
>>
>>29544946
There is a reason military forces all over the world have tended to insist on manual safeties on their service handguns and it isn't because they don't know how non-gun folk behave with handguns.
>>
>>29545071
I just read through the handgun section and that's just laughably wrong on so many points, but most of all the pricing.
>>
File: non_sbs_stubby.jpg (73 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
non_sbs_stubby.jpg
73 KB, 800x600
>>29544749
>36" mammoth
Doesn't have to be.
>>
>>29545761
For fuck's sake.

No, OP, sawed off/pistol grip shotguns are not for home defense.
>>
>>29546092

Then what are they for??
>>
>>29546106
Fucking around.
>>
>>29544661
Makarov or you know get an actual home defense weapon like a shotgun.
>>
>>29544661
>former liberal
>now homeowner

Isn't it funny that when people finally grasp control of their lives and own their own shit, they drop their faggot communist ideals?

I swear all liberals just clamor together because they're all losers with no direction, seeking comfort in each other in a political ideal that tells you you're perfectly great just the way you are.
>>
>>29544877
Yes it's a thing. You won't be shooting to injure, you will be shooting to "stop" the threat.
Just remember to not give a statement unless your attorney is present.
Deadmen can't talk.
>>
File: DSC_0152.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0152.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>29544887
Yeah if you drop it some sand or some shit. If you clean and lubricate it like any other fun 1911s work fine. The 1911 is comfortable in the hands (at least in my hands).
OP just needs to finger fuck alot of different handguns and find the one that is the most comfortable in his hands.
>>
>>29546348
Yeah but stripping and servicing a 1911 is a lot more daunting to someone who neither knows about nor particularly gives a shit about guns than a Beretta or whatever.
>>
>>29546375
>Implying that's a con when it's really a idiot test
I understand that point which is why I also suggested a Makarov earlier.
>>
>>29544661

S&W .38 Special, like a 586 w/ 4" barrel.

Keep perps away with good outdoor lighting and metal gates. There's a lot of paperwork involved with plugging a negro. Get a large dog. Dogs do not like negroes or Mexicans.
>>
>>29544661
Please do your own research, half the opinions here are going to be retarded.

Generally speaking semi auto rifle > handgun > shotgun. Proficiency trumps all. Research the brand you want to buy to find out if it's reliable.
>>
File: AR15 A2 Style.jpg (62 KB, 800x210) Image search: [Google]
AR15 A2 Style.jpg
62 KB, 800x210
Get a semi-automatic rifle.
>>
>>29544698
If it's for HD a flashlight so you can ID your targets rather than shooting a loved one to hell because you got spooped by the cat.
>>
File: Cz 58 V.jpg (19 KB, 300x178) Image search: [Google]
Cz 58 V.jpg
19 KB, 300x178
>>29544661
fuck handguns.
Wheter is home defense, carry, or a race war
You cannot go wrong with a Cz 58 V. It's compact, has a collapsable stock, and the surplus ammo is still available. And if you're a pussy worried about penetration for home defense, special loadings are available. But neighbor's cat probably deserved it anyway. Fuck Mittens.
>>
>>29546564
Rather have a WASR than a Vz.58 to be honest Famicom.
>>
>>29546852
If you want to wave around a fuckhuge heavy inaccurate piece of shit in a home defense situation that slamfires when you least need it, good riddance. Not even talking about carry, do you want to look like a fucking terrorist carrying it open, its way too big for CC.
>>
>>29544661

get a semi auto rifle instead or a pistol caliber carbine, they're far easier to use than a handgun
>>
File: WASR 10-63 Plastic Fantastic.jpg (2 MB, 3934x1428) Image search: [Google]
WASR 10-63 Plastic Fantastic.jpg
2 MB, 3934x1428
>>29546909
>If you want to wave around a fuckhuge heavy
Lift more, it's barely heavier than a Vz

>inaccurate
It's accurate for the distance you're using it at, do you have 400m hallways in your home?

>piece of shit
Learn 2 post 2008 WASR

>that slamfires when you least need it
Never had one slamfire, never heard of a post 2008 slamfiring.

>Not even talking about carry,
Nobody is.

>do you want to look like a fucking terrorist carrying it open, its way too big for CC.
As opposed to the Vz which the public will think looks just like an AK?
>>
>>29546564
Airshit.
>>
File: whatafag.gif (1017 KB, 202x152) Image search: [Google]
whatafag.gif
1017 KB, 202x152
>>29546966
>>
File: vz58.gif (85 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
vz58.gif
85 KB, 800x532
>>29546957
>Barely heavier
No bonus points for a longer and heavier rifle in home defense
>Not having 400m hallways in your home
What are you going to do about that nigger mob in the distance
>Looks like AK
It ships with a collapsable stock, so you can CC it in an average coat

Besides all I've heard from you is defending that WASR'S deficiencies don't matter enough. What makes you choose it over the Vz 58 if the Vz is clearly better, designed to improve over the AK platform?
>>
File: Vz 58 custom.jpg (740 KB, 1000x620) Image search: [Google]
Vz 58 custom.jpg
740 KB, 1000x620
>>29546995
Nogun re. Don't you even know guns properly to tell what gun that is?

What a faggot you are.
>>
>>29544661
> Find out what local laws are so you can feel out your options on carry etc etc.

>Understand what will happen if you shoot someone in an HD situation. I suggest contacting a lawyer who is well versed in defensive shootings.

> Find a pistol that is comfortable for you,

>Find a caliber you are comfortable shooting

> Get a light for target ID, don't go cheap on it.

> Find a good defense ammo, buy at least 4 boxes and make sure your weapon works with it.

> practice , practice, practice.
>>
File: wasr_sidemount.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wasr_sidemount.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>29546998
>It ships with a collapsable stock, so you can CC it in an average coat
I'm not looking to carry around a rifle under a coat, but I can get a folder for an AK too.

>Besides all I've heard from you is defending that WASR'S deficiencies don't matter enough.
I'm saying a lot of the deficiencies are exaggerated and an easily be pinned on the old ones, which legit were dogshit rifles:
>canted sights
>bad rivets
>bad magwells
>bad finish
This shit was all fixed several years ago, you can tell if a WASR is one of the old shit ones if it doesn't have the scope-mount on the left side of the receiver.
The new ones shoot straight enough to be adequate, the sights are straight, the rivets don't fail, the mags don't wobble like a fish on land, and the finish doesn't flake off straight out of the box.
It also comes with a G2 trigger these days, so really, a new WASR is a radical improvement in every way over the old ones, not a fantastic rifle, but for it's pricepoint, it's completely agreeable.

>What makes you choose it over the Vz 58
AK mags, furniture compatibility, doesn't have a big open receiver (which to be fair, doesn't actually matter for home-defense, as houses aren't typically filled with mud), I can easily pick up some plastic furniture and mags for relatively cheap and the gun is already lighter.

>if the Vz is clearly better,
I'm not saying the Vz isn't an ok rifle, but I think it's dramatically exaggerated in how good it actually is, yes, it's actually fairly light, particularly given the milled receiver (which is milled rather well), but in my opinion, the Vz.58 just doesn't offer anything that an AK doesn't already do.

>designed to improve over the AK platform?
It's not an improvement on it at all, it's a completely different rifle designed in a completely different way, the only thing they have in common is their chambering.
>>
>>29544769
I've never had that experience, so I wouldn't know.
>>
File: vz58.jpg (1 MB, 4272x2848) Image search: [Google]
vz58.jpg
1 MB, 4272x2848
>>29547153
Well, if customisability matters to you, then in US I guess, even if I personally would choose a gun by its performance. At the very least it offers superior accuracy, and the wide open receiver means it doesnt jam nearly as much as an AK does. I mean, there is just nothing that would make it superior, especially when the rifles are around the same price, and if accuracy doesnt matter to you, I do believe Century arms made variants are at the same price, if the Vz 2008 isnt cheaper.
I'm not saying AK is bad, it definitely isnt. Yes, it's simple, but overly so in my opinion. Even its predecessor, SKS, is more accurate, and it just falls short of the younger Vz 58 imo.
>>
>>29545023
This desu senpai tbqh familia
>>
>>29547263
>Well, if customisability matters to you, then in US I guess,
It's not that much about customisability, but if I'm just saying, if I need it to be lighter and to fold, there's plenty of aftermarket parts to amend that.

>even if I personally would choose a gun by its performance. At the very least it offers superior accuracy,
Possibly, I think it'd probably be easier to accurize a Vz for longer distances

>and the wide open receiver means it doesnt jam nearly as much as an AK does.
That's hugely debatable, the Vz opens itself up a lot with each cycle, if you've talked to Czechs who served with it, mud is a nightmare with the rifle.

>Yes, it's simple, but overly so in my opinion.
The AK is long-stroke and hammer fired, rotating bolt.
The VZ is short-stroke and technically striker-fired, tilting bolt.
They about even out, I'd say, what the AK does simple, the Vz. does complex, and the other way around.

>Even its predecessor, SKS, is more accurate,
As far as I've read, the testing the Soviets did back in the day determined the AK to have slightly better accuracy on average compared to the SKS.
>>
>>29547388
I guess I aggree with all of your points. Mud is a nightmare, and where the AK can almost always be cycled at least manually, when the top cover gets stuck, it's stuck good- the one reason they replaced the rifle withe the horrible, horrible CZ 805. Though I didn't give it much priority unless OP plans to take the rifle on a trip to Verdun.

I guess in the end it boils down to personal preference.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1000x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1000x396
>>29544661
Why do you feel the need to tell us if you're a formal liberal or some shit?

As long as you support the constitution I truly don't give a fuck who you are

Also, a good entry level handgun is a glock or a smith and Wesson m&p

Shotguns can be good as well as AR's.
You don't want a really nice / expensive gun as your HD gun in case it gets taken for evidence.

The most important factor is training. You'd be better off with a .22 you know inside and out than an AR you've never held before.
So find a gun you like and train and train and train your spouse and train your fucking cat
>>
>>29544730
>20" barrel
But then why use a sig brace?
>>
>>29545071
Why is the p250 still on this list in the current year when the p320 exists?
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.