[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solo vs. Group Survival
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 298x169
in a survival situation, are you better off alone, strictly with family, or trying to creat w group? This is assuming your average crisis with people truning to savagry and violence, only long term.

Can you site any reputable sources? Military survival handbooks, etc?
>>
solo
source, me.
>>
You don't survive anything alone.

I remember reading something written by a Bosnian. Basically, the black market takes over, people with guns and organisation survive and under no circumstances fuck with the military.
>>
Strength in numbers, this has held true throughout history.
Stable food and water will be the biggest issue.
I'd suggest reading about farming. Accounts of early settlers will be helpful too.

Fighting skills won't be that big of a deal. If you are fighting a lot, you are doing something wrong and you are going to die.
>>
How are you going to sleep if you're alone. That's how people in Africa and Asia get murdered and robbed.
>>
>>29542831
You become a loner, solo bandit. You operate operationally innawoods. Only you, with your SKS, nugget or AK. You trust no one. You question everybody.
>>
>>29542831

A person is an opportunity. A group is a risk. A mob is a great risk. An organization, well good luck with that.

The weak cannot contend with the strong, the few cannot contend with the many.
>>
Group, but not family. Must have the will to cast off any weak links, without sentimentality.
>>
File: 1413267578323.jpg (55 KB, 607x609) Image search: [Google]
1413267578323.jpg
55 KB, 607x609
The weak should fear the strong, the few should fear the many.
>>
>>29542905

you get shot by a man in his underwear for a can of beans
>>
>>29542878
depends what the military is doing. a fucker might get his pelvis shattered by a 308, be careful.
>>
>>29542831
A small group would be preferable, but only if this group was formed/agreed upon before the shtf. You can't trust anyone enough to form a group with after shtf.
>>
File: 1376976696695.jpg (138 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1376976696695.jpg
138 KB, 400x400
>>29542958
>run into someone in Berezino while drinking water from canteen
>you're all geared up and shiet with AK and drum mag
>stranger barely has anything but he still has a .22LR
>Start panicking because didn't see him at first
>realize AK has dropped on the ground when I selected my canteen because game is fucking stupid
>no gun to shoot that fucking dork
>panic like a motherfucker and run around while other guy just tries to shoot me
>''STOP FUCKING SHOOTING WE CAN WORK THIS OUT TOGETHER HOLY FUCK STOP''
>decide to charge him with hunting knife
>''You are unconscious''
>''You are dead''
>>
small groups (preferably of friends)
max 5 people.
you should know them well and trust them but also be ready to kill them if need be.
this group should be formed like, now, before it all goes to shit.
make sure that each of you has some kind of skill.
if we have 4 dudes that can make a knife out of a chainlink fence but can't patch up a minor cut, maybe not the best group.
>>
>>29542878
>>29542887
>>29542906
These make sense.
>>
if you are a prepared, hard, fit cunt with a mission and have multiple caches buried. solo. give your dog/incapable family a quick bullet to the head and go kill the zog minions.
>>
>>29543003
No one actually plays the fucking game or interacts at all. They treat it like an incredibly slow Call of Duty and it's fucking retarded.
>>
>>29543373
Why I gave up. It's bugged and you get barely 10 FPS when you enter a town. It'll still be Early Access in 50 years from now.
>>
>>29543373
>Be me
>Spend two hours to toatally gear up
>Being the faggot I am, I use a nugget
>Have the Amphibia pistol and enough ammunition to wipe out every zombie
>Going back to the north airfield to get a new helmet
>Looking through the building, M4 round shot outside
>"Dude, why'd you do that? We can talk this out."
>"No bro I want your shit."
>"How about I give you some ammo and food, and nobody dies?"
>He shoots more shots, I'm dealing with a bandit tard
>I go up the stairs and wait with my Mosin
>The stupid fuck walks up the staircase so he has his back to me
>Kaboom.jpg
>Tard is bleeding out and unconcious with a 54r round in his torso
>Such is life in Chernarus
>>
>>29542887
>If you are fighting a lot, you are doing something wrong and you are going to die.

Word. Fighting burns more calories than you'll recover in the looting phase. Assuming that you actually win and there is a looting phase.
>>
>>29542905

Solo works really well in DayZ since you *CANNOT* trust anyone all that much, and you don't sleep. The very fact that you can log off means that loners get a big advantage.
>>
>>29543643
>Fighting burns more calories than you'll recover in the looting phase
While I agree with the poster you're replying to, if you recover one meal you're going to gain calories in most cases, you can only burn a few extra hundred in an hour. I highly doubt that you'll be fighting for hours.
>>
>>29543149

Shoot my dog? Cmon ATF, plz go.
>>
>>29543659

When you're a loner, you can easily find lil nooks and crannies to hide in and sleep. Can't do that with large groups.
>>
>>29542878
You're thinking of Selco.
>>
>>29542831
The problem with family is they tend to either ignore you or argue with you. That can get you and them killed really quick.
>>
In true SHTF with no government or authority it'll be back to primal tribalism. Diseases that haven't been around since the dark ages will come creeping back and something dumb like a toothache could get you dead from encephalitis.

Anyone who thinks being solo in that scenario is insane or played too many video games.

People need people. It's simple as that. You gotta sleep sometime and you're going to live a lot longer when you have others to watch your back.

I remember reading an interview awhile back of some guy that lived in the Balkins during the Ethnic Cleansings. Basically said the only way to survive was to band together and barter supplies. I'll take his word over any weirdo loner.
>>
>>29543746
This. Holy fuck.
>>
>>29542985
yeah sitting in his apc it's likely to happen.
>>
People revert to base instincts...

People hate outsiders, it will be hard to group up outside of friends and family. Trusting strangers is the biggest risk, but if the survival event is many years, humanity thrives on cooperation
>>
>>29543373
This is why I started playing Rust, instead of being hyper realistic and bugged to shit, it's got video game quirks to be mindful of, but people actually interact in that game
>>
>>29542831
Depends.
My plan is to get out of the city alone, and meet my friends in a specific place for group survival in more open areas.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 507x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 507x376
Doctor Ron Paul says to grown your own produce and form a small group of people each supporting each other in areas they lack, not unlike a commune (irony aside)
I'll stick with that. I live in a rural suburb, I work at a farm not that far away that grows strawberries/peaches/plums/blackberries/corn/tomatoes/spinach, I hunt deer/dove/duck/geese, and my gay couple neighbors grow bell peppers jalapeƱos and keep chickens.
It wouldn't be hard to survive if we hunker down and block the road to our area, I've got ammo stockpiled and the farm has a bedroom full of ammo.
>>
>>29543710
Lel
>>
Solo, be a mad max type guy roaming the wasteland eating lizards and dog food.
>>
>>29544126
I wonder if there is a good recipe for lizards?
Like bbq lizard with hot sauce or dried and salted lizards that can be used for snacks.
>>
Getting someplace secure and securing resources comes first, you can decide if you want a gaggle of fucks later.

More people make it easier to defend, farm, etc - they also make you a bigger target and require much more resources than one person.
>>
>>29542831
Join the right strongest militia loyal to your ethnic group.
Remove kebab on an industrial scale.
Become national hero
>>
>>29544179
so you think it will be ethnic based?
i think it will be oligarch based.
anyone with connections and sway on the black market that can get shit delivered will have power. he will have his private military and his territory. basically like medieval barons. poorfags gonna be peasants and slaves.
>>
>>29544219
Yes, the conflict will be ethnic and the ones leading the ethnic militias will be like feudal kings.
>>
>>29542831
ANY tightly knit group will do better than a loner.

I'd let my family die since they are quite useless, my friends are better human beings anyhow.
>>
>>29544228
you can only be a leader in a post ap world if you can feed clothe and entertain your soldiers and to some degree the peasants too.

twisted ideologies might emerge but business will continue to be the main drive.

the barons will not give two shits about your color if you earn well for them.
>>
>>29544243
barons might not care, but lines will form along the same lines that already exist, just super amplified.
>>
>>29544136
>I wish I was in Tijuana
>Eating barbecued iguana
>>
>>29544243
Look at former yugoslavia
Gangsters like Arkan used nationalism and ethnic tension to rape and pillage.
Barons need something to get support from the masses. Nationalism is a great way of doing that.
>>
>>29544340
That would make a great song with the melody of dixie land
>>
>>29544350
you are talking about the serbs and a thousand years old ethnic conflict. it is in no way comparable to most western countries.

i would love to see the us to split up to north and south tho.
>>
>>29544367
It depends on what western countries.
A lot of western countries have a lot of arabs and blacks that are disliked. In war this could easily turn into an ethnic conflict.
In ethnic homogenous countries the medieval baron and red white scenarios are more likely.
>>
>>29544385
more like a black chimpout followed by quick and dirty ethnic cleansing and then business as usual.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.