[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Night /k/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13
File: refinish.jpg (624 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
refinish.jpg
624 KB, 1080x1920
Sup y'all
Just working on refinishing the furniture on my shotgun tonight. Gonna rub it down with BLO and see how it turns out.
Anyways, I guess this is just a thread for chilling and talking with other kommandos about whatever. I'll keep posting pics as I get further.
>>
File: detail.jpg (490 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
detail.jpg
490 KB, 1080x1920
I've also never refinished any wood before, so any advice is welcome. Hope all of y'all have had a good start to the weekend.
>>
File: foregrip.jpg (431 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
foregrip.jpg
431 KB, 1080x1920
I think it's coming along nicely. Started by rubbing down the wood with paint thinner, then went to alternating paint thinner and 220 grit sandpaper, followed by just 220 grit and now 400 grit.
Also found out about the TSRA and joined today, and other Texas kommandos members?
>>
>>29542801
No fish scale?
>>
File: progress.jpg (408 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
408 KB, 1080x1920
>>29542813
No sir, I'm not familiar with that, this is my first refinish. What is fish scale, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>BLO
Never used it. I used Tru-Oil on my Type 53 and it came out beautifully. It's held up very well, considering it's a mix of Tung Oil for the wood plus protectant for the finish itself. Very easy to apply.

Of course I don't have a picture of it.
>>
File: slow and steady.jpg (689 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
slow and steady.jpg
689 KB, 1080x1920
>>29542880
I'll have to look into that next time. I've done plenty of reading on BLO snd it's what I already bought, but I'll definitely look into Tru Oil shoukd I ever refinish any more guns.
>>
that stock looks like it came off an H&R.

anyone here got advice on how ro reblue a topper 88 in that multicolor pattern they do (not sure of the correct name)? mines got some rust specs on it from the previous owner.
>>
File: before.jpg (511 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
before.jpg
511 KB, 1080x1920
>>29542967
H&R Topper Mod. 88, yes sir. This is it before I stripped the wood.
I believe the pattern is called case hardening, but if I'm wrong someone please call me out on it.
No idea how to do any kind of rebluing, sorry man.
>>
File: first coat.jpg (443 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
first coat.jpg
443 KB, 1080x1920
Took the plunge. First coat.
>>
I'm at work tonight (live audio technician) but last night I loaded up a bunch of test rounds in 10mm and 9mm with babby's first cast bullets. Casting was actually a lot of fun and I can't fucking wait to get to the range with my chronograph next week
>>
so I have a 10/22 and I wanna modify it.
i've already picked the BX trigger group as it seems the best but I want a new stock for it and I haven't found anything that's all that great.
what are some good ones you guys know?
I dont wanna mallninja it, I just want a nice, clean, custom 10/22
>>
File: Plsop.jpg (32 KB, 560x486) Image search: [Google]
Plsop.jpg
32 KB, 560x486
>>29543054
Sorry, should have posted sooner
>>
>>29543054

of many hopefully

don't forget stuff looks darker when it's wet

i refinished a czech mauser stock ages ago (oven cleaner and all that) but made the mistake of using too few coats of stain

still looked fantastic when it was finished though
>>
>>29542656
Hey, Good evening night /k/.

I work overnight maitenence and want to die.

What all does everyone do here?
>>
>>29543056
That's pretty fucking cool! I've been looking in to reloading, but casting hasn't even crossed my mind yet. Where'd you get the lead?
>>
>>29543087
maintenance on what?
currently NEET but I'm looking into CDL school and heavy equipment operator school/training
>>
>>29543071
Ha, none on my furniture. It's just a simple H&R single shot I picked up and want to make pretty. I also completely lack the skill to to do that, sanding down the stock was my first encounter with woodworking.
>>
>>29543087
I'm OP
I'm currently a student at UTA, so nothing exciting.
>>
File: 20160403_200229.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160403_200229.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>29543099
Fucking walmart.

It's the only gig in my town, and I've almost saved up enough to take my truck somewhere else.
>>
File: sitting.jpg (523 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
sitting.jpg
523 KB, 1080x1920
So I applied a little more to soak in amd let it sit for a few more minutes before wiping these guys down. Do I just let them rest overnight now?
>>
>>29543148
That's a nice truck man, looks real cool. Where are you stuck and where are you thinking of going? If you don't mind me asking.
>>
>>29543148
at least you don't have to deal with the customers.
I mean a walmart job still sucks ass but hey, you're not a cashier.
>>
>>29543095
I got about 14 lbs of Lyman #2 alloy, a Lee casting pot, and some random tools in a trade. That's honestly why I got into casting. It's super fun and cheap
>>
>>29543155
Ideally you should hang them up. I used an unwrapped coathanger to hang my Type 53 stock through the sling holes.

>let them rest
Yes until they are dry.
>>
File: 1430881816558.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1430881816558.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>29543087

graveyard shift at factory working on bus-sized plastic extrusion machines
>>
>>29543164
I'll tell you because night /k/ is cool.

It's an 88 chevy c 1500 flatbed I picked up for a good deal. It's got a ton of new parts and only 123k miles. It's the vehicle I'm probably gonna go and travel in. I think it'll survive.

I'm stuck in a little town north of Stillwater Oklahoma, and the Ditch Witch in town won't hire me for some reason.

I'm probably going to move back up with my girlfriend in Midland Michigan. I've lived there once, and I liked it even though I'm not used to northern folk.

Being a poor as fuck o/k/ie who can barely afford to save anything is really starting to beat me down man. I just need to bail state again until I figure out something I can do.
>>
>>29543185
Fuck, when I lived up north I used to work at Huhtimaki or some shit making plastic cups on a grave yard shift.

It was the worst job I ever had. I feel you man.
>>
>>29543087
College kid

I work security for the school
>>
>>29543188
hey man, if you're willing to go down to lawton I know of a trucking company that needs dudes all the time.
if you can fix shit or at least have a cursory ability to drive a non-sync trans, they got a spot for you.
I know one of the main dudes there as well, so maybe I could put a word in for you.
best of luck in whatever you do.
>>
>>29543205
Thanks for the help anon, but I'm trying to bail state.

It depresses me being here. I just need a good fresh start.

Sounds like a nice gig though. What do you do?
>>
>>29543155

dry em out on wire hangers and dunk them a few more times

if you can't hang them, perch them up on something so that they're resting on a place you won't see once the gun is assembled

that way you won't have dark spots where it collects while drying
>>
>>29543087
security, currently watching cameras and browsing k while listening to 60's music with my nam vet coworkers
>>
>>29543221
kinda just floating around down here in NM, looking for trucking and heavy equipment school.
I have the hands on experience from doing shit for family/friends (like the buddy at the trucking company), but nobody will hire me without the fancy pieces of paper.
so short answer is I'm currently NEET.
but I do get needing to bail state, that's fine.
>>29543231
that sounds pretty awesome anon.
play this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOTsMHTwshg
also do they have any cool stories worth telling?
>>
>>29543188
youre like only an hour or two from me i think. ( >>29543231 )
>>
>>29543188
That's a real cool truck. I'm jealous, I've just got a lame Corrolla (but hey, stick shift is fun).
That's a real pretty part of OK to be in.

My highschool girlfriend went there for college (and I'm gonna spill my guts, if you don't want to deal with emotional bullshit turn back now). We were together for almost three years, started dating my sophomore and her junior year. She graduated a year before me and went to OSU, we tried to make it work but long distance is hard so we broke up (for the first time). A few months later we started writing each other and reconnecting, eventually we went out camping for valentines and decided to be together again. Fast forwards to last October and I'm looking into transferring to OSU to be with her and she starts talking about how she's afraid that I'll wind up at OSU, we'd break up, and then I'd resent her. Long story short she decided to call it quits before I completed a transfer. It fucking sucks. I've never loved another person as much as her, we've worked, travelled, and done so much together, she's like a whole half of me. I'm so proud of everything she's accomplished and want to be able to tell her every day. But she doesn't want that from me anymore. I've tried dating, I've tried sleeping around, and I just get plagued by guilt. So instead I try and focus more on school and firearms, and wind up being a bit of a hermit. The worst is that sometimes we talk, and I get filled with so much happiness and hope when I hear her voice that I forget about everything else in the world for a little bit and it's almost like my life is how I want it. But it fades quickly after, and then I crash into a kind of rut. I just hope oneday she'll be willing to take me back, despite the pain and loneliness.

Sorry for the emotional rant y'all, I'm just bitching and trying to get my shit sorted out.
>>
>>29543183
>>29543227
Got them perched on some metal buts where the wood won't be shown. Should I oil them some more tonight, or wait until tomorrow? What would give them a darker finish?
>>
>>29543182
Sounds like it. Do you have any idea if it'd be difficult to cast rifled sligs, or is it better to just stick with shot?
>>
>>29543303
Don't over oil or it will just make an uneven surface. Use it very sparingly.
>>
>>29543079
Well it still looks pretty loght. Will it darken with more oil, or will the wood keep more of a blonde tone?
>>
>>29543303
>>29543326
*also darker finish = more coats
>>
>>29543326
>>29543337
Thanks, I'll let them sit for the night and do more coats then. Appreciate it y'all.
>>
>>29543066
Are plain 10/22 stocks that hard to find? I don't have one, the only .22 I have is the adapter I drop in my shorgun.
>>
>>29543238
its seriousxm radio were listening to.
>cool stories
on phone so this is the abbreviated version.
coworker signed up voluntarily because draft sucks, just graduated college for animal medicine. army decides hed make a great medic. gets sent to a rock quarry filled with soldiers who were given the "prison or vietnam" choice back in the states. spends his time treating drug overdoses, more "More VD than i knew was possible" and trying to find creative ways to hide morphine. never saw combat except for a few mortar attacks and an angry bartender with a stolen pistol.

oh, and one time a guy got pissed at the NCO and threw a grenade in his tent (which the medic coworker shared, since they were the only two non-convicts there). it killed his dog and tore up an old lady who cleaned around the camp in exchange for pocket change cigarrets and coffee.
>>
>>29543345
Np man. Just so you know, it will never get super dark. The wood's base color has a strong influence on the outcome. The rest is up to what you put on it.
>>
>>29543330

it will stay blonde unless you coat it more

trust me, only 2-3 coats isn't enough unless you have a really dark stain

keep applying it and if you're unsure if it's dark enough for you, take it out in the daylight once it's dry

oil will darken it a tiny bit but not nearly as much as the stain
>>
>not using tung oil
better in every way
>>
>>29543369
>>29543372
Would I be able to add in some stain between layers of oil?
Also, is there a recommended amount of BLO coats? Or will continued coats just make it more glossy?
Thanks y'all
>>
>>29543365
i should add that hes afraid of doctors now.

basically all he knew was horse medicine. so he spent the whole time bullshitting and pretending he knew what he was doing. "its a miracle I didnt kill anyone" is what he likes to tell me. hes also suprised he didnt catch any VD himself... and that I shouldnt mention that to his wife.
>>
>>29542656
>BLO
is a shit sealant

figured I'd finish your sentence
>>
>>29543404
That's what another anon mentioned. I already bought the BLO though, but I'll definitely check out tung oil next time. What makes it better, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>29543405
>Would I be able to add in some stain between layers of oil?

oil would probably repel it and fudge it up
>>
>>29543414

>>29543415
>>
>>29543421
Good to know, I'll avoid doing that then.
>>
>>29543415
>tung oil

Also a shit sealant
>>
>>29543440
rip
Any good recommendations?
>>
>>29543290
I've been with mine for quite awhile, and despite it being hard we've managed to make it work. I know how hard it is though.

I trust my girl with my life, and with how bad her anxiety is I trust her to stay loyal.

The distance is shitty for me though. I've gone out a few times with other girls, but I always kill it before I seal the deal. I get so guilt tripped and feel so terrible that I could do that to mine, when I know she could never do it to me. So I just get depressed and turn into a hermit like you said you do.

And all my friends moved away and I'm so lonely so you guys are like my best friends right now.

Good thing is is that it looks like I'll have enough to move back up north come August and be with her.

/k/ group therapy thread?
>>
>>29543415
Unlike BLO, pure tung oil Is completely waterproof and doesn't deteriorate or yellow with age. The only down side is that 100% tung oil is more expensive and only available in specialty stores.
>>
>>29543473
I'm really lucky to have some of my good friends and my brother still living nearby, if not for them I literally would be a hermit. If I could move up to Stillwater and be with her, I'd be there in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, she doesn't want me. So I just wait and try and make myself into a person she could be pround of and would want to be with. I won't even get to see her every once in a while this summer because I'll be studying in Berlin and then working in NYC (and I fucking hate NYC), and she's going to be doing deep woods trail work in Colorado. But maybe that's a good thing.
Your girl sounds like a real catch, and you're awfully lucky you can head back to her. Make sure she knows you appreciate her, because you never know when you'll get a chance to tell her again.
>>
>>29543500
Good to know, thanks.
>>
>>29543541
If you're ever around my area and can put up with an overweight and awkward /k/omrade, we can go shooting and I'll pour you a glass of bourbon. You sound like a good guy.
>>
File: l_519300004_1[1].jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
l_519300004_1[1].jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>29543459
>>29543415
this is a good sealant
It's a water base so it soaks into the wood instead of sitting on top
You really have to build it up to be anything like poly though
>>
>>29543576
I appreciate the offer man, you sound like a real upright guy. The same stands for you should you ever find your way to DFW.
>>
>>29543584
Do you apply just one coat or is it a multi stage deal? Looks like something worth looking in to.
>>
>>29543636
you CAN do one coat, but it's better to do multiple
You put one on, then you sand it down smooth, then you put on another and repeat if you want to
>>
>>29543087
Student and reservist.
Got out of the regular army to study and looks like I'll be going back to the same job. Not bad though as it's a good role with plenty of opportunities.
>>
>>29543594
>DFW
where 2 shoot?
i need a rifle range.
>>
>>29544090
Alpine has clay pidgeon shooting and a 25, 50, and 100 yard range, but it's kind of expensive. There's also shoot smart, but it's indoor and only goes out to about 14 yards.
These are just the ones near me though, I'm sure there are plenty of other places.
>>
File: 2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>29542656
I'll be watching to see how it turns out.

This was my first project refinishing a stock and forend.
>Used uncheckered stock and rat tail forend from Numrichs
>Sanded
>Stained with Cognac and Koa minwax
>4 or 5 coats of Tru-Oil with a rub down of steel wool between coats to even the surface
>Wax
>Buff

It could probably use a touch of up with some more wax now though. I'd also really like to find another gun project to refinish the wood.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.