[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
War Is Hell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 15
File: civil-war.jpg (261 KB, 1024x784) Image search: [Google]
civil-war.jpg
261 KB, 1024x784
What was the scariest war?
I'm torn between the American Civil War and Vietnam. Vietnam was creepier and had more of a psychological horror aspect to it. The Civil War was just pure terror. The mix of accurate weaponry and traditional Napoleonic warfare i believe would have made it extremely terrifying.
>>
The War of Northern Aggression was the worst because liberty died.
>>
>>29541792

You mean the war where the Yankees invaded the Americans?
>>
Trench warfare. Sitting in a hole in the ground, knowing you would eventually be ordered to leave that hole and most likely get wounded or killed in the process.
>>
>>29541744
The northern war of aggression must have been hell for the interlopers. Our boys waiting in the trees or across a field waiting to kill them. To be honest, as under-dogs, we did quite well for ourselves.
>>
>>29541744
Guerilla warfare has to take the cake for me, I really miss the team vs team uniform battles

But then again WW1 was as streamline they come and the chemical warfare must have made it one of mankinds darkest wars
>>
WW1, or alternatively any war that had chemical weapons used. Its one thing to get sniped or vaporized by artillery, but there's something truly horrific and futile about coughing up your own lungs and collapsing into a pathetic pile of bile and frothing saliva in the puddle of mud on the floor of your shit-smelling dugout. Though I suppose its pointless to dick-measure horror because every war had scary aspects.
>>
>>29541813
This senpai

WW1 infantry on the western front is one of the worst military experiences I could imagine.

Marching rank-and-file into cannonfire and then standing there while the enemy delivers a musket volley during the 18th/19th century ranks a close second for me.
>>
>>29541827
Do they seriously raise you dumbfuck southerners like this? To think YOU did anything? To honestly think you're still some kind of independent nation that was trounced on?

This is nigger tier understanding of slavery.
>>
>>29541868
>slavery
>>
>>29541868
Not even the most violent and havoc causing union military leader believed in ending slavery. Sherman just didnt want the union to dissolve.

The union had: more soldiers, more industry, and more means to invade us
The confederacy had: homefield advantage and better military expertise (leadership save President Davis)

Guess who lost more lives? The north did, because we were the better understaffed underfunded army.
>>
line warfare could be breddy scary,the civil war is one of the biggest culmination of this
marching in line against artillery and accurate rifle fire
but ww1 takes the cake,the trench was just hellish in condition with constant shelling,threats of chemicals and the never ending machine gun fire
>>
>>29541744
The war in my mind.

I'm just fucking with you, WWI.
>>
>>29541813
Came here to say Trench warfare.

https://youtu.be/oeJkpsOqQgc
>>
>>29541863
what about the Italian front in the alps with people fighting in ice,snow and entire units freezing to death, they are still finding bodies in the glaciers
>>
>>29542092
very unpleasant to say the least
you could be in a mountain doing fuck all and then the mountain asplode
>>
>>29541889
>implying the southerners weren't mostly worried about slavery when they succeeded
>>
iran iraq war. ww1 warfare with 1980s technology
>>
>>29542117
double this if you're fighting for iran and is an irregular
you'll be doing soviet penal battalion shit,clearing minefield by stepping in it,charging headfirst into a fortified position etc
>>
>>29542113
>1/3 of the population had the luxury to even own one slave, let alone multiple slaves
>B-BUT ALL SOUTHERNERS WOKE UP AT THE CRACK OF DAWN TO HAVE A NICE COFFEE AND BEAT THEIR NIGGERS!
be indoctrinated by the jews more pls.
>>
File: roki.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
roki.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
I have to imagine being a Yugoslav partisan during WWII was fucking terrifying.
>your a Slav in Nazi occupied territory
>a Slav who is RESISTING
>also the Ustasha are mad men

Being a conscript SAA soldier on any front with ISIS is probably pretty spooky too.
>no one cares if your lost
>fighting crazy, brutal, wahabbis
>up against lots of Western weaponry while your army primarily has outdated Slav-shit
>>
>>29541813
Wasn't there trench warfare during the Civil war in vicksburg?
>>
>>29542163

My Yugoslavian grandfather was 12 when the Nazis invaded his hometown, killed his parents, and escaped with his sister and a 9mm, killing six Nazis that stood in their way.
>>
>>29542199
damn, did he join the Chetniks or Tito's Partisans?
>>
WW1 was intermittently horrible; if you happen to get stationed on a quiet part of the front you probably had it quite all right. It was weeks of boredom followed by a short terrible period where you had a very good chance of death.

The worst is always having to endure a siege. You are literally starving to death while still trying to fight for your life. Something like Leningrad during the siege; absolutely shit.
>>
>>29542232
Sieges are fucking brutal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarajevo_Tunnel#Sarajevo_Tunnel_Museum

I know the BiH aren't the most popular guys on here, but this was quite an inventive way to save their people.
>>
>>29542150
There's a sorrow that's still palpable for the lips of their way of life in the south. There was a beauty and a gallantry to many aspects of Antebellum Southern culture that's overlooked in the day and age of "white guilt" and sociological oppression. While I'm not saying the people who joined and supported the CSA were all good gentle landowners they also weren't all the half retarded sadists that modern media plays them out to be.

>yes slavery is wrong
>it wasn't really about slavery though
>>
File: daffy_glasses_20160218_185850.jpg (41 KB, 500x451) Image search: [Google]
daffy_glasses_20160218_185850.jpg
41 KB, 500x451
>>29541868

The war of northern aggression was about yep you guessed it.

Money.

The niggers only had about 0.0001% to do with it. So pick up a few books a read a little if you can especially the trade and goods tariffs that were being imposed on the south
pre-WONA you mouth breathing wretch.

I bet you support gun confiscations to faggot.
>>
Gotta go with Nuclear War. It's a bit hard to explain honestly.
>>
>>29542221

I don't know much about the period between that moment and when he immigrated to the U.S, I never got the chance to speak to my grandfather other than maybe 1-2 times when I was only six or seven. My dad never liked to take me over to see him since he was pretty much insane his whole life from his experiences in Yugoslavia (he shot my dad in the leg during an argument when he was 16). He passed away quite a while ago and I only heard that one story from my dad.I need to ask my parents and grandma more about that and come back to a thread like this and unload more of his history.
>>
>>29541906

I'm pro-north when it comes to the civil war, but I have to agree with this.

The north had magnitudes larger railroad infrastructure and manpower pools.

Not only that but Lincoln was able to strike deals with the railroad companies to put military involvement over most freight which allowed a much larger ability to ship goods per mile of track compared to the South, which was unable to secure the railroads as a whole as a wartime asset like Lincoln was.

This is why the North was able to field volunteer soldiers from California and Oregon with relative ease while the South had troops starve to death less than 50 miles from Richmond.

That being said, Grant considered a 1:3 kill/death ratio for the North to be sustainable and acceptable because he could field 4 soldiers to every 1 Southern soldier. The numbers were lopsided while the South had both better leadership and training. Shit, Lee was one of the best field officers in the Mexican American War.
>>
>>29542288
>south thinks it's an up-and-coming industrial giant
>FUCK AGRICULTURE GIVE US SOME PRO-INDUSTRY LEGISLATION OH YEAH
>realizes that they fucked themselves
>starts a war by literally besieging a federal installation
>somehow the north started it
>>
>>29542370
>a union is founded on consent
>we no longer consented to being ruled by the jews and northerners
>strong white men say no more union we are out
>lincoln intentionally leaves FOREIGN troops (union) on confederate soil
ball was in our court and we did what needed to be done. South will rise again.
>>
>>29542288
Different guy here, but this argument doesn't hold water. Slavs were a major part of the Southern economy. So yes it was about money, but it was about money because of slavery. It's not like blacks were just the favored pet of the South or something.

Look at all the events leading up to the Civil War, each was about slavery (bleeding Kansas, compromise of 1850, popular sovereignty)
>>
>>29542395
Nah dude it was a fight over a Hamiltonian America or a Jeffersonian America. You have to look past the facts, WW2 wasnt just "gotta save the jooooz". It was a conscious choice to choose communism as the lesser of two evil in europe (nat soc. v. communism).
>>
>>29542393
>States want nothing to do with Union.
>Wants unconditional surrender of all federal assets in heir lands.
Those forts were owned by the U.S. You gave up your right to them when you seceded.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 360x389) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 360x389
>>29541792
>>29541827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ra9cXx1-o
Suck it traitors.
>>
>>29542393

Secession wasn't legal. The government owned the property the soldiers were stationed at, meaning that they had the right to defend themselves and their property from filthy southerner niggers trying to break in and steal their shit.

Think of it like castle doctrine, where the American troops are the gun owning home owners and the inbred secessionists are the disgusting free loading niggers.
>>
File: 1459609401363.jpg (8 KB, 261x132) Image search: [Google]
1459609401363.jpg
8 KB, 261x132
>>29542393
>instead of dealing with the shitstorm it helped make in a civil fashion, a state says "fuck you I'm gonna run away from home you're not my real dad"
>federal troops remain in garrison because the union doesn't recognize your weak-as-fuck independence claim
>bomb the shit out of it
>wahahahaha it's all Lincoln's fault we got our ass beat

I live in Georgia. I'm proud of my state's history. But come on now, the south blatantly started the war.
>>
>>29542131
I know an Iranian veteran of that war.

>Ripped from his house at the age of 17 to fight
>Brief gun training, given a barely functioning FAL and shipped off immediately to the front lines
>Was given the task of maintaining field communication landlines and reconnecting them when they got hit by mortar shells or disconnected by other means
>Failed and apparently allowed an Iraqi force to hold a successful skirmish because of the communications failure
>As punishment, got put onto manning the AA guns, which was considered a suicide mission
>Somehow survived long enough to flee, damaging only his hearing
>Fled to the US, became a spy for the US against the Iranians, then came back and became a citizen

Poor guy is more paranoid than a squirrel when it comes to other arabs. Constantly carries a gun of some kind with him and refuses to talk to anyone of his nationality but his family. Said ISIS sympathizers called his house and threatened him a couple times, and after that asked me to immediately shoot anyone that looked too shifty when I used to work for him for a short time. He's pretty cool to talk to though.
>>
>>29542438
ideologically, perhaps

economically, not so much, unless you view you view the economic factors as side effects of the ideological ones.

I'd say slavery was undoubtedly the economic spark that detonated the powder keg.
>>
>>29542468
We were exercising our rights against tyranny. Get fucked
.>>29542460
>us property
>confederate land
pick one!
>>
>>29542488

>castle doctrine is good and being a nigger and stealing shit that we don't own is bad, unless it's someone we don't like, then it's good!

Filthy southern nigger.
>>
>>29542150
>implying that 1/3 of the populace had less influence on the government in the south than the other 2/3
>implying that the south didn't secede because of the impending imbalance between slave states and free states

I bet you have a Confederate flag on your beater truck because you like rooting for losing teams.
>>
File: fgnfgnmjhgk.jpg (74 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
fgnfgnmjhgk.jpg
74 KB, 500x495
>>29542395
So essentially an economic conflict waged in the ruse of moral superiority or cultural changes and "godda free dem poh chill uns"

K.
>>
>>29542473
>>29542481
Lincoln wasnt even pro-emancipation until the middle of the war. He shifted the narrative from union, to freeing the poor slaves (after losing some pretty embarrassing battles to the south). He literally was for black resettlement, we invented Liberia to send them home. Don't get caught up in the horseshit narrative of angelic Northerners coming down from their high thrones to grace the lowly negro with freedoms. They promised 40 acres and a fucking mule, and it never god damn happened. The union didnt give a fuck about niggers. Sherman outright never had a negro serve under him. It was about quelling rebelling, emancipation was just a narrative created to boost morale and public approval.
>>
>>29542488
>confederate land

I was unaware that a totally internationally unrecognized rebellion was capable of having it's own sovereign land, especially the land occupied by the military force of a massively more powerful entity.
>>
>>29542504
No, I dont have any flags or stickers on my Audi S6. Nice try tho senpai.
>>
>>29542506
The simplest way to describe the situation would be shit.

For the South, it was about slavery, because slavery was the foundation of their entire civilization.

For the North, it was about keeping the Union together, because the world was still quite hostile, and they would be destroyed if the country were split in two.
>>
>>29542468
Neither was succeeding from (Not so great) Britain. Get fucked carpet bagger.
>>
>>29542518
>massively more powerful
>got their shit rocked up and down the east coast by a inferior army
k
>>
File: 1457234137589.png (808 KB, 1080x1059) Image search: [Google]
1457234137589.png
808 KB, 1080x1059
>>29542527
>subtly bragging about an absolute pussy's car that you probably don't own

Wow. We're all so impressed, pal.
>>
>>29542533

I'm glad America won, I'm a massive patriot, but if I'm being completely honest I would've probably been a Loyalist during the revolution.
>>
>>29542545
you want bread on the hood?
>pussies car
ok, well I'll drive around in my $90,000 car and I'll take your word for it being a "pussy car"
>>
>>29542535
I'm sorry buddy, but who burned down Atlanta, raped all your inbred women, and forced you niggers to surrender?
>>
>>29542566
Sherman was literally the superintendent of my university, and donated the cannons from Fort Sumter to us post-war. Sherman personally requested that LSU be spared the wrath of murderous rapist thief interlopers.
>>
>>29542506
>>29542517

I'm not saying emancipation was the big moral point of the Union, but it was the greatest fear of the confederacy, and a large part of it's existence.
>>
File: 1459982819588.png (1 MB, 1864x4327) Image search: [Google]
1459982819588.png
1 MB, 1864x4327
>>
>>29542557

Dude we're all so proud of your still most likely non-existent investment in a bland as fuck midlife-crisismobile.

I personally found your argument much more compelling when you started saying big numbers and waving your e-peen arounf
>>
>>29542580
Our biggest fear was the tyranny of the majority over the minority that just wanted to be left in peace. The north could have done whatever it wanted, we just wanted our slaves and our land left be. Instead, they made hostile legislation and abused us politically.
>>
>>29542177
Fuck yeah there was, the lines at one point were like 10 yards apart and try just launched Cannon fire at each other from 30ft away. Vicksburg was crazy as hell if you ever get a chance it's definitely worth stopping at.
>>
>>29542506
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4
>>
Lets focus on what happened after the war. We no last nger identified by our states, but Identified as Americans. Plus I don't feel like being ruled over by /pol/ if the South won. Hitler would have won.

Now to answer OP, WW1.
>>
>>29542517
Lincoln had a long history of being anti-slavery.
The Republican Platform of 1860 was explicitly anti-slavery, and wanted slavery banned throughout the U.S.
There had been repeated "constitutional crises" regarding the slavery question for more than a decade before the Civil War broke out.
Slavery even in 1860 was considered immoral by a majority of the population.
Really, neither side is "at fault" for the war. The South could no more cast aside slavery than the modern US could cast aside capitalism. It just isn't going to happen without some major conflict. And the North could never live with a country half-free and half-slave. It was a founding flaw in the Constitution as originally written.
>>
>>29542599
>midlife crisismobile
>im 20
I am doing quite well for myself.
>>
File: 1424799494618.jpg (687 KB, 1000x4500) Image search: [Google]
1424799494618.jpg
687 KB, 1000x4500
>>29542518
in personal or national conflicts, it is not he who strikes the first blow, or fires the first gun that inaugurates or begins the conflict. Rather, the true aggressor is the first who renders force necessary.

-Gen. Beauregard 1861

And really in hindsight do today's niggers deserve the freedom that was gifted to them?

ALL YOU GUYS CAN GO HOME NOW!!!
>>
>>29542527
>>29542557
>>29542618
Either a shitty Honda or his dads car
>>
>>29542616

Not true at all. Lincoln was described as a "closet abolitionist" while his wife was stated to be a "secret southerner" when asked about this Mrs. Lincoln said that "if the truth were to be reported, the exact opposite would be accurate."

Lincoln was not an abolitionist until he realized abolition was a possible weapon to be used against the southern economy while also shoring up support of the now predominantly abolitionist north.
>>
>>29542644
Nah senpai, just living out the upper class southerner dream. Debutante Balls, Fraternaties, etc.
>>
>>29542612
I'll believe that Germany is expelling "reffugees" by the plane full before I listen to what some bald headed POG engineer officer has to recite what some jews wrote him to repeat. It was a war of northern agression. Nothing else.

And also how many CSA Enlisted men owned slaves?
>>
>>29542625
>"I, Pierre Gustave Toutant-Beauregard, appointed a military engineer in the Army of the United States, do solemnly swear, or affirm, that I will bear true allegiance to the United States of America, and that I will serve them honestly and faithfully against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and observe and obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the rules and articles for the government of the Armies of the United States."

I don't trust the word of oath breakers.
>>
>>29542657
Then why not post a time stamp of you're car?
>>
>>29542696
because its fucking 12:03am in central time in america right now.
>>
>>29542665
>if I plug my ears the facts will go away
How many northern enlisted owned factories.
>>
>>29542150
>slavery was in the succession for several of the states (one of the carolina's I believe)
>implying the southerners didn't like having a slave underclass to make even the poorest whites feel better about themselves
>implying I don't know most soldiers on both sides (though especially the South) simply fought for their state

I have respect for CSA soldier- they fought valiantly for their cause against bad odds. Their side still was in the wrong
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 454x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 454x300
>>29542701
You can't walk to your garage and snap a photo?
>>
>>29542701
>not owning a garage

Maybe you should spend daddy's money on a house too.
>>
>>29542651
Just like today, politicians lied back then but if you trace their actions it's clear what policies they support. Lincoln was a member of the Republican Party who were formed for the explicit reason of opposing slavery. Stephen A. Douglas pointed out frequently in their debates how Lincoln would waffle depending on who he was talking to. Lincoln grew up in an anti-slavery family and lived in the north where there was no slavery.
>>
>>29542686
I don't trust engineers because of my experiences with them in afghanistan as an infantryman. Probably none. But how many northern citizens owned slaves compared southern citizens?
>>
>>29542736
>>29542735
>thinking garages exist on homes built in the late 1800s
you really dont know shit about the south.
>>
>>29542750
You seem to trust the opinion of Gen. Beauregard.
>>
>>29542766
I don't know if he was an inept shitbag who lets infantry do his job of building fortified structures while sitting on his ass or letting on step on IED'S in a "Cleared" AO or MSR either.
>>
>>29542753
Having grown up there i distinctly recall having a garage, and all my neighbors having garages, and most homes that old having been heavily renovated.

Oh well, why don't you post your keys?
>>
File: 1417805659097.gif (683 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1417805659097.gif
683 KB, 320x240
>>29542395
>Slavs were a major part of the Southern economy
>>
>>29542783
Does this have anything to do with the civil war or are you trying to get a "thank you for your service" out of me?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Here's a photo I took for some reason a few months ago. Most recent photo I have in the cockpit of my car. Driving down riverroad I think
>>
>>29542807
>cockpit
bruh
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29542791
Here you go friend :)
>>
File: fgxnfgxn.jpg (163 KB, 972x696) Image search: [Google]
fgxnfgxn.jpg
163 KB, 972x696
The northern crusades were pretty brutal
>>
>>29542822
Was that so hard, even if you couldn't manage a time stamp? Although I think some of the money you overpayed for that car might have gone well for somewhere to keep it within walking distance.
>>
Guadalcanal.
>>
File: CP0QyO5.png (95 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CP0QyO5.png
95 KB, 600x600
>>29542163
*You're a Slav
>>
>>29541744
WWI
>>
>>29541744
Such an American post
>>
Anything with spear formations vs. spear formations in close contact, not phalanxes. Like the 30 Years War.
I imagine that being incredibly horrifying and chaotic while also being the norm.
>>
Soviet-afghan war
WW2 for civilians
WW1 for soldiers
Chechen wars
Any old time war mainly fought in melee
Iran-Iraq war
The great nordic war and fighting both as and against the caroleans
A lot or wars are scary for different reasons, but I guess it boils down to; the scariest war is the one you're in
>>
>>29544190
Chechnya sucked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMxYMPVbUI
>>
The Soviet-Afghan war is kind of overlooked. It was pretty much the USSR's Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HxydMf3bcM
>>
The Pacific Theater was pretty terrifying for a lot of Americans. We'd never really fought an enemy like the Japanese before. They didn't follow a lot of conventional Western methods of conducting war. On the sea, they usually wouldn't label their ships that were carrying POW's, which complicates things when they're shooting at you. On the islands and jungles it was worse. The climate and wildlife proved to be an obstacle, but the Japs' fighting spirit and zeal scared the fuck out of a lot of Americans.

Imagine being on the wrong end of a banzai charge.
>>
The Iran Iraq war during the 80's was fought in trenches in the desert using chemical weapons and human wave attacks.
>>
>>29541868
>I went to a public school in Massachusetts
>>
>not the skeleton wars
>>
>>29542150
>1/3 of the population had the luxury to even own one slave, let alone multiple slaves
...holy shit. considering that at any one time, half the population is female, and the male half that remains has a cut off range of min 18, and of that group, the vast majority of them were the 50% or so that didnt make enough to break poverty line...

your pretty much saying literally every man who was even slightly capable of owning one, owned one. your talking your average redneck trailer trash who cant afford going to school, splurging their basic necessities on a slave.

i mean, really, when you picture 1 third of the population. or all thirds of the population...where are the children? the women? or is your mental picture just, 20-30 year old males and nothing else?
>>
>be paraguayan soldier in triple allianza war
>see argie and hue cavalry going straight at you
>be paraguayan soldier's son with 11yo
>some officer paint a beard on you and gives you a stick
>see argie and hue cavalry going straight at you
>be widow of paraguayan soldier and other of 11yo kid whose fate is unknown
>see argie troops in your city
>get impregnated
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.