[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
new foam armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Looks like it could be a game changer. Thoughts?
http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/metal-foam-armor-disintegrates-bullets-160408.htm
>>
>>29541360
The bullet used in the demonstration video is a 7.62 x 63 millimeter M2 armor-piercing projectile, and was fired using standard testing procedures established by the Department of Justice for evaluating armor types.

Body Armor Based On Snake, Fish And Butterfly Scales

The armor — only an inch thick — features a ceramic strike face, Kevlar backing, and CMFs in the energy-absorbing middle layer.

“We could stop the bullet at a total thickness of less than an inch, while the indentation on the back was less than 8 millimeters,
>>
>>29541360
Exciting stuff, but I'm always wary about these inch deep tech articles.

Anybody got more info on this? I actually live in NC and go to Raleigh pretty frequently.
>>
>>29541520
The other articles are just as superficial it seems. Its so early on in the r&d life cycle it will probably take a decade to see this in the field. It seems its uses in space flight or aeronautics might come first. The bullet demonstration seems easy to hype the material.
>>
>>29541591
I can't find any discussion on its cost so there's that barrier to entry as well.
>>
Is that a slow-mo shot of the jacket spalling away? Thats bad. Or is it the ceramic plate being blown the fuck out? Thats worse than current issue plates it seems.
>>
>>29541435
doesnt sound bad. How does it do with energy dispersion? What about multiple strikes?
>>
>>29541658
I cannot find any articles more in depth. I don't think the university is doing real world testing, it seems more to hype the material than anything.
>>
Do you guy's think in the next 2 decades that we will reach the point that body armor becomes so effective that we have to use Raufoss-esque MP rounds in order to defeat them?
>>
>>29541731
Or guided bullets that hit them in the eyeholes of their armored mask
>>
>>29541731
That, and the advances in exoskeletons and we'll basically have Space Marines. What a time to be alive.
>>
>>29542251
>exoskeletons
They suffer from the same caveats as electric cars. We lack a power storage with high enough energy density. The only option would be to store the energy in chemical form, like petrol or diesel. But then they'd be as loud as motorcycles which makes them unsuitable for the infantryman.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.