[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
California guns, are they really that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 800x600
Californians, I've heard your guns are neutered, is that true? Not going into the politics of it since that is banned, but going into the features.

I've heard your AR-15s don't even accept magazines, you are perminant lay stuck with an attached mag

I've heard you can't buy certain colors of guns,

I've even heard you are not allowed to buy a gun unless it has been "drop tested"

Is any of this true? What is it like in California, Hawaii or other states like that? What is different in your guns that is not found in my guns (Texas)?
>>
All semi automatic rifles with a pistol grip must have a bullet button, meaning the magazine cannot be removed without a tool.

There's no law against colors of guns

Yes, pistols have to be put on CA DOJ's Approval list before they can be sold for civilian use, which basically means no new designs
>>
>>29540723
If you're in cali your best options for a defensive carbine is a "featureless rifle" such as
>Mini-14/30
>unconverted vepr/saiga
>ARES SCR with upper of your choosing
>>
File: DSC_0028[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0028[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>29540723
Pic related is my CA legal NPAP
>>
File: 1459483259348.jpg (38 KB, 552x497) Image search: [Google]
1459483259348.jpg
38 KB, 552x497
>>29540723

Meh, I live in CA and really dgaf. You really can get away with a fucking ton as long as it has a fixed/collapsible stock and a bullet button. And honestly, with bullet button magnets (or the fact that it takes literally 5 mins tops to remove altogether), if the shit hits the fan, I have a fully functioning AR.

If you really want to get paranoid, just take a trip to vegas and pick up a couple 30 rounds mags on the way out.

At the range, its seriously zero fucking big deal to use a bullet button tool and have 10 round mags.

It's honestly not that hard to shoot guns in CA. Its *way* fucking better here than ny/nj. I feel like its a comfortable balance desu.
>>
>>29540850

just to add to this, a bullet button magnet and 10 round mags is more than fine for home defense

if the shit hits the fan, you'll have time to remove the bullet button and grab some 30 round mags you picked up out of state
>>
>>29540723
>I've heard your AR-15s don't even accept magazines, you are perminant lay stuck with an attached mag
No

>I've heard you can't buy certain colors of guns
No

>I've even heard you are not allowed to buy a gun unless it has been "drop tested"
Yes

There are no permanent changes required of guns.
>>
>>29540850
>bullet button magnets

tfw when there is no such thing for an AK
>>
>>29540723
You either gimp the magazine release by forcing it to release with a tool like the bullet button. Pic related, AR15.

Or you gimp the pistol grip by making it un-thumbable or removed completely and ditch the flash hider and lock any folding or collapsing stocks open. Pic related, AK has the grip wrap which allows normal mag release and 30 round magazines, AR15 has the bullet button, which means 10 rounds is the maximum limit. Other people simply unscrew the pistol grip.
>>
Califag here
>>29540723
>I've heard your guns are neutered, is that true?
No.
>I've heard your AR-15s don't even accept magazines, you are perminant lay stuck with an attached mag
Nope, my AR's accept any standard 5.56/.223 AR15 magazine just like yours.
>I've heard you can't buy certain colors of guns,
Bullshit.
>I've even heard you are not allowed to buy a gun unless it has been "drop tested"
I haven't heard of this, but this might apply to handguns because they have to be specifically approved by the DoJ to be sold.
>What is different in your guns that is not found in my guns (Texas)?
Quite literally nothing. I don't own a single bullet button or any 5/10 round magazines.
>>
Or move north and follow none of those rules. LEO gives no shits.
>>
File: clip+(2016-04-08+at+07.17.09).jpg (245 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2016-04-08+at+07.17.09).jpg
245 KB, 800x600
>>29541206
And 4chan doesn't attach the damn pic.

Only before 2007-ish when the bullet button got invented. Before then all we had were disgusting welded magazine Bushmasters and single shot DPMS lowers. Now we have everything except for specifically banned oldfag lower brands like Colt Sporter, DPMS AP*, Bushmaster XM15, et cetera.

>I've heard you can't buy certain colors of guns

Handguns sold by an FFL to non-LE in California need to be on a roster of safe handguns (safe handgun list)

Again, all handguns sold by FFLs in CA must be on the safe handgun list, and thus have to be drop-tested and have certain safety features, depending on the particular year they were added to the safe handgun list.

>Loaded Chamber Flag
>Magazine Disconnect Safety
>Microstamping

As of 2014 the Safe Handgun List is essentially impossible to get onto now since California made one of the requirements to get onto the list stamping the serial number of the gun onto a fired casing using the firing pin. Only old grandfathered handguns that were on the list before then are legal to sell in California.

The only exception is if you are law enforcement. If you are law enforcement you can buy any handgun that exists as long as it doesn't violate the assault weapons or .50 BMG ban, and resell at your leisure.

I know several police officers that make a side job of buying $600 M&Ps, newer Sig P-series, HK VP9s, et cetera and reselling them on the secondary market to normalfags in California for double the price.

Same also goes for the people that got in handguns around the roster, either by doing single shot conversions before 2014 or from an original LE buyer, they can resell "banned" handguns to anyone.
>>
>>29541330
>magazine disconnect safety?

wow really? How do you get glocks then?
>>
>>29541359
Gen 4 Glocks are only available from LE gougers for $800-$1000 a pop.

Gen 3 Glocks managed to get onto the list before the magazine disconnect safety requirement was added.

Glock still makes Gen 3 models specifically to sell to new customers in California, along with the occasional paranoid that doesn't trust Gen 4's new "improvements"
>>
>>29541206
>>29541330

does that thing around the pistol grip have to be 'permanently' attached?
>>
>>29540850
>>29540868
You goddamn commie faggots how can you defend any of this? Jesus Christ Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>29541431
it could be worse
>>
>>29541431

A long time ago some trip wrote a huge post about New Yorkers and the like having battered wife syndrome it was really spot on.
>>
>>29540850
You're not wrong about the facts, but being this cheerful about it strikes me as low-grade cuckoldry.
>>
>>29541330

Non-AW C&R handguns are still ok for now too, as are single-shot target pistols over a certain size, specific models of "Olympic" pistols, and single-action revolvers over a certain length/capacity. Note that the SSE loophole got closed in 2015, so you can't just have a gunsmith sauter a zero-round mag/barrel extension into place on a semi-auto to make it a "single shot".

There's a bunch of exemptions, although most of them don't mean that much in the long run due to their very specific legal wording.
>>
>>29541411
Nope. Less than five minutes with a penny (less than a minute with a screwdriver) and you have a full blown assault weapon. It's piss easy to put on and take off. This isn't the ATF wanting muzzle attachments pinned and welded.
>>
>>29541411

It depends what type of rifle you want. Basically, you are allowed to have two types of ARs in California: Magazine locked, and featureless. A magazine locked rifle CAN have the so called "evil" features adopted from the '94 AWB (flash hider, barrel shroud, collapsible stock, pistol grip, forward grip, etc). In addition, the magazine must be permanently attached, and cannot hold more than 10 rounds. However, the law is written so that a magazine cannot be removed by hand. So someone came up with the idea of the bullet button, which loopholes this law, since you need a tool or the tip of a bullet to unlock the magazine. Since tools are not attached to your body, you can release the magazine with it.

The other type of AR you can have in California is a featureless rifle. Basically this rifle CANNOT have "evil" features, but can have a detachable magazine with no capacity limit.

Also, the reason we can't have folding stocks is because there is a restriction on the overall length of the rifle that states that a rifle cannot be longer than 30" and still be able to fire a round.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.