[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How often should I change out self defense ammo? I've had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 879779.jpg (106 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
879779.jpg
106 KB, 880x660
How often should I change out self defense ammo?

I've had the same HST rounds in my gun for six months now.

While I have no doubt that they will all still fire, they are now a much darker color from the brand new ones.

I know this probably has zero effect on their performance, but at what point do you guys change out your carry ammo?
>>
I change them when I got shooting. I just fire the mag of defense ammo out of it, and the put new ammo in afterwards.

Thay way it gets cycled and I get to shoot with my defensive ammo somewhat regularly.
>>
>>29539072
I shoot my carry ammo once a month simply because of my environment. Lots of humidity, wet , etc. etc.

And while it's expensive it gives me a much better understanding of how that ammo shoots at any given day.

So far I've only had one failure to fire and that was what started this whole thing. I carried the same Speer rounds for 8 months. Could have been any number of issues, but figured better safe than sorry.
>>
>>29539072
You should sometimes take it out to the range and just shoot it to see if you actually had a malfunction or not.
>>
>>29539072
Every range trip becasue while I am a poorfag I can at least afford 15 rounds of defensive ammo every two weeks or so.

I'm weird so I also coat the primer base and the case neck with clear nail polish to fully water seal it even though I can't think of a single situation in which that would help.
>>
>>29539120
>>29539134

That's actually why I made the thread

A friend of mine had a malfunction with his critical defense rounds that he said have been in his gun for almost three years now.

He just decided to shoot them out and replace them

It was only one round out of 15, but that's pretty important for carry ammo.

No idea if it was the age/condition or just the round itself that caused the problem.
>>
>>29539214
Defensive ammo companies like Speer, Federal, and Winchester already water seal their bullets and primers from the inside before loading. Coating the outside case neck will just increase chamber pressure and possibly stick the case in the chamber. Avoid.
>>
>>29539245
Mine was fairly old, and that's with unloading , cycling and reloading weapon is a USPC so I don't think it was the weapons fault. I'm not exactly sure what happened, probably the /k/ube fairy playing tricks on me, but it is what it is 300 rds later of the same stuff no issues.
>>
>>29539072
>concerned about 6 month old ammo

Ah I remember when I first got into guns. Treasure these times OP.
(I've got ammo from the 1960's that still works just fine)
>>
>>29539255
Huh, didn't know that. Never had issue but I suppose there 's no real point in continuing if the bullets are already watertight.
>>
File: 1454802135036s.jpg (5 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1454802135036s.jpg
5 KB, 125x125
>>29539297
>>
>>29539330
>newfags saving and posting this is b8 pictures
>can't even save them correctly

kys
>>
>>29539297

Well I got my license right before

I've had a gun in my nightstand that has had the same ammo for years, but it's never exposed to dust, lint, elements, etc, like my carry gun is now, for however insignificant that amount really is.

I just didn't know if six months to a year was a good arbitrary time to switch it out.
>>
>>29539255
>durr I have never seen a lacquered bullet

>>29539328
Literally not in any significant way despite what ^^ says
>>
What about the mag spring? Won't it lose its springiness and cause feeding jams if you keep it compressed for too long?
>>
>>29541733
thatsbait.jpg

Magsprings are fine fully compressed for decades. This isn't a thing.

Ammo will last just fine unless you regularly go swimming in the dead sea with your carry gun. Basically, if you're comfortable, your ammo is comfortable. If you spend a lot of time hot and sweaty or moose-balls cold, then you should shoot out your ammo every few months.

All the fuds saying they shoot their carry ammo "just to see if it still functions" is like the faggots who put a dildo in their ass to see if they're still gay.
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 900x600
I had a small issue w/my HST in an M&P 9. I was emptying the last round after daily carry to put it in the safe, and I was pointing the muzzle down... It jammed over and over -- an entire magazine.

I've only emptied it horizontally before. Anyone had that happen before? Pic related; not mine but a torture-tested M&P w/sheared front rail, visible)
>>
Rounds CAN crease from rotating in the mag, this mostly happens to loose mags that are in mag pouches not the one in the gun because the top round is under tension from the bottom of the slide.

>>29541951
You mean you were chambering the same round each day or you tried to cycle all the rounds out and it kept jamming? How did it jam?
>>
>>29541800
But I used the dildo test once after a long dry spell and found out I had stopped liking cock in my ass
So I guess it works
>>
One useful thing to do w/ your carry ammo is field strip your pistol and drop each round into the chamber/barrel before you load it in a mag. I've found mis-sized rounds even in Gold Dots and HSTs and hydrashoks. It just should drop in and out loose (at least in a glock).
>>
>>29542017
>found out I had stopped liking cock in my ass
No, you're still gay.
>>
>>29541997
It was double-feeding, locking slide into position. Had to tap-rack-assess.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.