[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I will be purchasing one of these two in the very near future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 1069x398) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 1069x398
I will be purchasing one of these two in the very near future but I cant decide which to buy first. They are both within my price range and can be had new or milsurp. Which one should I buy first? My goal is to complete the set of classic American service rifles.
>>
If you had ever handled an M1, this wouldn't be a question. The M1 Garand is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
>>
>>29535632

Garand is a much easier rifle to maintain overall in my opinion. The Carbine can be a little finnicky in the disassembly process. I've owned 3 GI carbines and it can be quite difficult to remove the trigger housings from the lugs on the receiver.

However, the Carbine will be a more 'practical" rifle for the money due to it's box magazine feature. Be warned though, GI mags can be pricey ($25-$40 used) and a lot of the commercial mags out there are junk, but you can still get decent ones for $12-$15 if you look around for ones with good reviews.
>>
>>29535667

I have shot both and owned a Carbine. Its just a tough decision to make becuase I like them both equally as much
>>
>>29535717
>>29535667

The Garand is much more aestheically pleasing to me than the carbine but I think between the carbine's detachable mag and lighter weight, the carbine would be a better first choice.
>>
>>29535632
If you want to order a garand from the CMP, I think they are still backed up from the carbine release in February so it's going to take a while for a mail order. Plus the stores only have special grades and m1C/m1D field grades which will need a barrel replacement.

The average Inland carbine will run about $750-800, and they're the most common carbine.

If I were you, I'd put in an order for a Garand with the CMP, sticky note for the lowest ME/TE you can get. Hopefully the new production carbines will drive down the price for GI carbines, but I don't see the CMP keeping garands in stock much longer.
>>
I just love how light and small the carbine is.
such a fun gun
>>
>>29535973

>Hopefully the new production carbines will drive down the price for GI carbines

Doubtful as the new carbines are not really near the same quality as a GI. With the exception of the barrel and stock, the rest of the new Inland manufacturing carbines are all cast steel. I've heard some okay things about James River Armory's Rockola carbine clone they make, but still, why spend $1000 on a reproduction when you can get the real thing for the same price?
>>
>>29536082

I was considering an Inland as they are much better quality wise as an Auto Ordananc. I prefer a USGI however.
>>
I own both
I consider the Garand the first one to get, then pick up a Carbine
either way, get milsurp. May as well have the real deal.
>>
>>29536165
Old Inland is USGI, new Inland is not. the only other non-GI I can think of is Plainsview(might not be the right name), Auto-ordinance, and I want to say the irwin-peterson enforcers but they had also minor trial run for USGI if i remember correctly
>>
File: 1446255552332.jpg (83 KB, 1038x1025) Image search: [Google]
1446255552332.jpg
83 KB, 1038x1025
>>29535632
I'd bight the bullet and get the more expensive one first so there is less wait time between having them both.
>>
>>29536329
Universal as well.
>>
>>29538603
Universal carbines are complete trash

That being said, I own both and would say get the carbine first. M1's are great but you aren't going to use it for much other than a wall hanger and a bench shooter. It's too big and heavy to be of much practical use. The carbine on the other hand is the very definition of practical use. Its said sometimes that .30 carbine is too weak, but it is quite an effective round out to 100yds and can go further easily. That and ammo is much cheaper
>>
I have 2 garands and a carbine. I like the garands, but I enjoy shooting the carbine a lot more.

That said, I'd probably try to get a garand via CMP while the still have them first.

>>29536329
Howa also made carbines for the Thai police and some were imported into the US.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.