[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a tank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 750x514) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 750x514
Please help me figure out the necessary procedures to buy a fully funtioning tank. It doesn't have to be rare but it has to be able to drive and fire the main cannon.

What licenses do I need? How hard is it to import? What models are cheapest without being some ugly retarded design?
>>
And yes I am American (as you can tell) and assume I live somewhere where I can shoot the gun, like maybe Texas
>>
>>29531825
relevant to my interest
>>
File: owningatankver2-opt.jpg (602 KB, 628x3685) Image search: [Google]
owningatankver2-opt.jpg
602 KB, 628x3685
license wise to have the gun operate I believe it falls under the same regulation as an artillery piece, its a basic DD.
however, you cannot shoot HE rounds as each one is ALSO a DD and you basically need a bunker to store them.
but you could just shoot solid projectiles (basically giant FMJ bullets)
of course, you'll need the money to get said tank.
I don't really know about how importing works, so I'm not your man on that.
pic related.
>>
>>29532073
OP here I need to make sure its doable before saving up
>>
>>29531825
> fire the main cannon
can't, you dumb fuck.
But if you want a tank the Czech Republic sells old T-72 Urals for $50k, the gun is completely demilled of course.
>>
>>29532174
you actually can but its a fuckton more money/paperwork/time
you need a DD license, a Federal Explosives License and all the shit with it if you want to fire HE, and maybe a pyrotechnic license.
>>
>>29532185
I am willing to do this if it means firing a fucking tank
>>
>>29532174
Would welding a cap on the barrel "De-mil" it? After it is imported grind it off and get it registered as a DD. Seems simple enough. You'll just have to shoot solid rounds I guess.
>>
>>29532126
Thanks familia

Can you shoot it in an open field? Or do I have to go to an artillery range
>>
>>29532196
no, not even close.
I believe they cut the breech in like 4 places and fill the barrel with concrete.
>>29532194
go to one of those shooting ranges or something that have a tank and ask around, this is advice to all of you.
join one of those tank clubs
>>29532126
one is mentioned here.
personally i'd recommend getting your tank from cz/russia since they're cheap and most dealers over there handle all the shit for you.
>>29532204
not sure, but gun ranges and places can shoot on their own land so I'd imagine you can do it if you own the land.
of course you may need another license but what the hell, you get to keep a tank in your yard and fucking shoot it.
>>
>>29532133
In all honesty OP get some other kind of armored vehicle like a BDRM or some shit. Tanks are tracked vehicles and as such you can't drive them on public roads. So basically your have a vehicle that's awesome as fuck but you can only drive on your property. It's going to be super expensive to buy, super expensive to maintain, and generally useless.

As for importing a BDRM it is totally possible. Theyre reasonably priced (like $8-$15k last I checked), you can drive them on public roads and they're still super awesome.
>>
>>29532229
>$8
>>
>>29532185
takes years also you need to give the ATF a fucking reason for owning it other that "lol I want a tank with a functioning gun"
Also most states will not let you have it and heaven forbid you ever try to use it.
Basically OP if you want to live out your World of Tank dreams join the military and become a tanker or just day dream like the rest of us.
>>
>>29532229
you can drive a tank on public roads I believe, you just need rubber tracks and get it registered as some special vehicle type.
if you can drive a HET on public roads as a civie I think a tank is doable.
>>
>>29531825
OP how much money do you have?

I'm not kidding, if you want to jump the hoops to own a tank and all the paperwork to get it operational you'll need a fair bit of capital and investment. Fortunately for you once you DO get it up and running you can rent it to like movie studios and tank driving tourist traps to make a bit of cash back. Especially if you made said gun operational and charged like a 2000 bucks to shoot it.
>>
>>29532229
Yeah OP I second this. Most tanks are over rated and you will need a semi truck with tank transporting bed to even get it anywhere.
Where as an armored scout car like a BRDM-2 or an APC like a BTR-60/70 can be had for much less, you can drive it, and they are usually amphibious.
>>29532236
$8-15k..... you fucking retard, do you need your hand held through everything, he meant $8k-15k.
>>
>>29532240
that's also in place for machine guns and shit, most people just say "collector of antique military vehicles" or some shit
actually there are states that allow it, I believe mainly texas, arizona, and nevada.
but yeah it does take years/decades.
but at the end, you have a fucking tank.
>>
>>29532240
>takes years also you need to give the ATF a fucking reason for owning it other that "lol I want a tank with a functioning gun"
>this nigga thinks there's a DD ban

C'mon anon.
>>
>>29532269
Yeah I mean it is possible but very hard and it is fuck hard to get ammo. The ATF will be all over your ass if anything ever goes slightly wonky.
Frankly OP, if you are that rich and dedicated I would recommend getting a BRDM2 or BTR or hell even a BMP-1 or 2, then if you want a functioning gun just get the co-ax PKT, will take years of ATF paper work but it will have a functional gun.
>>
>>29532240
I could say that I am startig a business where people pay to drive it around

>>29532261
Let's assume I have 150k maximum

>>29532289
How does one purchase tank rounds anyways?
>>
>>29532287
show me your DD then. Yes you can technically own a DD, but it is extremely hard. They are banned in alot of states. Those that allow them have strict rules regarding storage, usually reinforced bunkers for anything HE.
.... OP if you really want, yes you can get a functional tank. It will take years of work and an assload of money. Importation may deny you straight up, and it will be really tricking to manufacture the gun back onto a tank. Maybe if you are lucky take an old world war 2 tank and get a functional 75mm gun on it. Good luck OP, you are gonna need it.
>>
>>29532328
>How does one purchase tank rounds anyways?
there's dealers for this shit.
they sell to mainly prophouses and shit for movies and you could get them from there.
there's also private buying.
protip; disable the ejector so you can reuse the cases, as ammo is fucking expensive and you don't want that shit getting all beat to hell from getting launched into a turret wall.
>>29532328
>Let's assume I have 150k maximum
so you spend 50k on a T72 (that is refurbished)
then you spend like, 15k on getting it to your place.
another 8k or so for road tracks
maybe like, 10-15k to get the gun back in working order
another 5k or so for paperwork and shit.
so that's about 95k all said and done (this is an estimate, i'm not an expert)
is that okay to you?
>>
>>29532356
>it is extremely hard. They are banned in alot of states
where?
other than the standard ATF buttfuckery and the pain to the wallet it's not banned unless you live in a commie state most of the time.
it's just like getting a MG, suppressor, SBS, etc, just more expensive and a whole hell of a lot bigger.
>>
>>29532356
You are confusing FEL's with DD's.

This is why you can for instance buy RPG launchers registered as DD's as seen here:
http://www.autoweapons.com/products/destructivedevices.html

But the ammunition is a different case. However getting an FEL isn't the hardest thing in the world as explosives do have many legal uses and arguably getting an Federal Explosive License is good on the resume.
>>
>>29532369
Yeah bot bad, 95k is better spent on a tank than a corvette
>>
>>29532400
i believe tank/arty rounds only fall under a FEL if they're HE.
if they're just solid projectiles (basically a giant FMJ round) I don't think you need any extra bullshit.
>>
>>29532369
This.

Once you get the tank you pretty much would need to find a source for spare parts for maintanence but otherwise you could start a "tank tourism" local business like the ones they have in like Minnesota or Nevada.

If you want to get progress to the tank cannon you could try contacting said prophouses or FFL10s to work something out for a joint business project to get your tank remilitarized for movies or other entertainment or research purposes such as testing car armor or bunker material.

Try to be creative and focused on developing your "business" because the ATF treats professional licenses better then some collector who just wants to collect weapons.

Ironically the opposite exists in for instance europe where there are a whole host of collector licenses that are veeerrry difficult to obtain depending on the kinds of weapons you want to collect.
>>
>>29531825
>We will never have tank battle firing low velocity paint balls out of a smooth bore.

Feels can not be contained.
>>
>>29532412
>if they're just solid projectiles (basically a giant FMJ round) I don't think you need any extra bullshit.

Mostly true except the propellant. Which might be a little tricky so you'd have to find a legal alternative.
>>
I still find it funny that in bongland of all places, they are perfectly fine to own and use on the roads, so long as you've got the right license and rubber tracks on it. You also don't need to pay any road tax, or if in london, any congestion charge.
>>
>>29532432
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5z8Q5Zg3qM

Casual pls. Up your /k/ game.
>>
>>29532428
>research purposes such as testing car armor
aka how to be able to blow up cars with a tank and not have the dog shooters show up
>>
>>29532441
Well the Brits did invent the tank.

Also they have a huge hardon for them because Bovington.

Sigh, I wish we lived in an alternate dimension where gun, weapons, and powerful tools rights as a whole were completely free and the anglosphere and europe are a futuristic weapons worshipping land of vast civilian stockpiles of any prototype, ex-military, and scifi weapons imaginable.

Need the /k/ube to open an alternate dimensional gate to escape.
>>
>>29532458
And then scare the dog shooters into buying armored cars with slightly more durability against tank shells.

So you can keep getting those sweet ATF stamps. Genius.
>>
>>29532441
Britbongs can't even buy plasticware without getting wanked by the police kek
>>
>>29532445
>APC's with 20mm guns.

Kek
>>
>>29532467
how would the ATF/alphabet agencies in general fight someone with a remilled tank?
I mean, it's a fucking tank, it's built to survive this shit.
you'd have to call in the national guard or something.
>>
>>29532249
No tread vehicles at all.
>>
>>29532126

How the flying fuck does a tank get 3-8 miles to a gallon
>>
>>29532493
>somehow nitpicking about armored vehicles shooting each others with paintball guns like that post was feeling about.

Closest you gonna get, might as well embrace it.
>>
>>29532328
Is this really a good way to blow your inheritance?
>>
>>29532502
so like 10-15k of tank budget goes to land to fuck around with it on.
that's fine.
>>
>>29532500
Well when that San Diegofag hijacked a tank they were gonna call in apaches to blow it up.
>>
If only you had twenty people with the right amount of money and contacts you could start a tankery club in Nevada and Texas with yearly competitions between the four teams.
>>
File: tank.jpg (27 KB, 580x250) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
27 KB, 580x250
>>29532511
Uhhhh yeah?
>>
>>29532475
More meme's
>in b4 picture with dollars on price tag
>>
I read about a dude in germany who had a fully functional WW2 Panther tank in his garage and even sometimes took it out for a spin

eventually a year or two ago the police got wind of it, raided him and took it away
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.