[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /k/, I need your help. Could a propeller plane be deployed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 361x401) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6 KB, 361x401
Okay /k/, I need your help.

Could a propeller plane be deployed successfully if it was dropped vertically from a floating hangar? Say, if it were hanging from clamps inside a giant zeppelin with a big enough hole in the bottom to allow this sort of thing?

Basically, if the propellers were fired up before the thing was dropped, could a plane actually right itself after being dropped like this, provided sufficient height?
>>
>>29530999
Yes it could.
If you had enough altitude.
>>
>>29530999
Off course. All it needs to do is pull up when it reaches a high enough speed.

Why wouldn't it?
>>
>>29531018
I dunno, I figured maybe the velocity of the plane falling might be too much for the pilot to right it before it hit the ground. I'm not an avialogist.
>>
>>29530999

>didn't watch Indian Jones and the Last Crusade
fuck off
>>
Anon, this better be for a heist movie or you're just wasting everyone's time
>>
>>29531036
Depends on the altitude. If the pilot can pull up in time it's fine.

Also the g-forces encountered during such a manœuvre may cause the pilot to faint.

Such a tactic probably wouldn't be effective for immediate defense of your Zeppelin.
>>
look up army air force experiments with zeppelins... they did this already..

tldr yes, but it's not very easy to reatatch...

also for funs we tried it with a pocket sized jet and a bomber... search goblin
>>
>>29531088
The G-forces are something I was thinking about too. People can be trained to withstand it but it's a bitch.

>>29531120
Every example I've seen of parasite aircraft so far has the planes oriented horizontally before they're dropped. I'm a bit more concerned about them being stored hanging vertically before the drop. Thanks for the info, though.
>>
>>29530999
Just have the zeppelin pilot roll 90 degrees. Launch airplane horizontally. Problem solved. Thank me later.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 710x510) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 710x510
Horizontal is better because of a little thing called recovery.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 740x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 740x620
It's literally been done before.
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 1600x797) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 1600x797
USS Macon and USS Akron both did it. It was some pretty cool tech.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 400x220
I would have loved to have seen/flown on them. But this may be the coolest rc dirigible I've ever seen.
>>
>>29530999
>can prop planes recover from a stall?
yes...
>>
>>29531015
>If you had enough ballsofsteel.

ftfy
>>
Sure is Crimson Skies in here.
>>
Pilot here, I tested this out a few weeks ago and it does work, heres how to do it.

>pull up to reduce airspeed
>once at stalling speed immediately point straight at the ground.
This simulates being dropped from the airship.
>after speed is gained, pull out of the dive.

With my aircraft I am able to do this at about 4g, which is easily managable.
>>
>>29534501
What're you flying?
>>
>>29534544
Mostly gliders, but I do fly some ultra lights.
>>
>>29531036
>avialogists

What a nice word.
>>
As long as the pilot rights the plane aerodynamically using the elevator before reaching Vne, sure.
>>
>self-described pilots fascinated by the fact that they can control the aircraft in normal conditions
>self-described pilots claiming to have achieved 4Gs in a glider.
>>
>>29535065
Not that anon but if it's an aerobatic glider 4Gs isn't unusual.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.