[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me out /k/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 800x450
I have around $12,600 in my bank account. I need to get an ar-15, 2 high capacity handguns, a ceramic plate carrier with ammunition pockets, front and back plate, extra mags, and ammo. Is this possible?
>>
>>29528135
Yes do you want recommendations
>>
>>29528135
>$12,600
This is your budget or this is all the money you have to your name?

Also
>school shooter
>>
>>29528145
Please.
>>
>>29528154
I'm convinced war or massive riots is coming in the next few years. I have about $15000 to my name as of now
>>
>>29528195
So what's your budget?
>>
>>29528135

Save your money, anon. Invest for your future.
>>
>>29528368
$13000 I suppose.

What ammunition is more common for the rifle? .223, .308, or 5.56 NATO
>>
>>29528135
You don't have to so this, anon... Turn back now.
>>
>>29528390
Consider this hypothetical then. Like if I had a month's warning before SHTF
>>
>>29528181
Mayflower Plate Carrier
with x2 Ceramic IV Plates and Plate Backers

get TAG Pouches, browse their site.

Colt LE6920 with a LaRue FF Rail and a magpul CTR, then get a Blue force gear 2pt qd sling from their main site. Then an Optic of some sort and a Surefire M600U and a Grippod

Get a Glock 17 or 19
Get a Beretta M9A1

I only recommend these items because these are what I bought recently with tax return
>>
>>29528408

Use your money to get a rugged 4 wheel drive vehicle. In the event of mass riots you'll be too outnumbered. Even the greatest of our super elite operators can and have been killed by illiterate goat herders if they have sufficient numbers.

Your best bet is to grab sks and head inna woods.

Also I don't really know anything about quality AR products, so I can't help you in this f fun hypothetical anyway.
>>
>>29528454
If SHTF the streets and highways will be clogged to shit.

Get a CanAm or Yamaha Rhino or some sort of ATV like a Polaris Raptor
>>
>>29528135
Not helping you out Achmed
>>
Don't forget to save the FBI some trouble and just take the lock off your phone before you go to work that last time.
>>
>>29528475

That's where the whole "4 wheel drive" comes into play. Take that mother fucker off road.

All of your options can't carry much AND leave you very exposed.
>>
>>29528454
I live in on the border of the suburbs and the farmland. I would proabably just try to hold up in my house. It's on about 2 acres and backs up to the woods so that's always an option
>>
>>29528556
Yeah but in my area atleast something like a Jeep is too fucking big to get around reliably through woods or the wetlands
>>
>>29528395
Buy a rifle chambered for 5.56x45.

You will be able to fire .223 out of it as well, although it will not have the optimal turn rate in the rifling for it, SLIGHTLY affecting accuracy.

Since you have so much money to blow, I'd recommend buying parts individually. That way you'll be getting exactly what you want in the rifle. (Maybe buy an upper with the barrel already attached and gas tube pinned, etc, since you are new to AR's.)
Also, get an 18 - 20 inch barrel. Milk as much velocity out of the cartridge as possible.
For the optic, you should totally get an Elcan or something, maybe an ACOG. Both are fantastic, battle tested sights. Another great, albeit similarly expensive, option would be a thermal imaging sight. (Definitely get a standard type of optic as well, in the event that the thermal sight gets fucked.)

As for plate carriers... Look around for what best suits your needs yourself. There's a lot of different types of armor for lots of different situations.

For a pistol, go with a Glock, preferably 9mm. Glock's are simple, rugged, and prolific in the US. 9mm ammunition is also basically everywhere.
>>
>>29528395

5.56. It is the most common ammunition for AR platform rifles.

If you want the most for your money, build it yourself by purchasing parts. The barrel is what you should be willing to spend the most on, it's probably the most important part of the rifle when it comes to accuracy (however that doesn't mean you'll be some expert marksman just by having quality parts and an expensive weapon. You absolutely should go out and practice with your rifle). A high quality barrel will take you a long way with that, however.

Make sure your bolt carrier group for your AR is set to military standard. In the event that the Hughes Amendment is struck down and we're allowed to own post-86 full auto firearms, you'll need a BCG that is made for use in full auto rifles.
>>
>>29528434
The Colt is a great recommendation thanks
>>
>>29528395

an AR is capable of chambering both 5.56 and .223 with no modification to speak of, this being the case an AR in 5.56 is a wise choice
>>
>>29528618
CRYPTIC
>>
>>29528602
Oh yeah, for plates you have two options
1) AR500 plates
2) ceramic plates

AR500 will withstand a ton of hits, unlike the ceramic, which aren't designed to do so. (This fact is kind of pointless though, because if you manage to get hit in the chest/back multiple times you should probably just kill yourself for being a failure.) Steel plates will also not experience the problem of breakage by accident, as can happen when one beats around ceramic plates.
However, ceramic pates will be far lighter than steel plates offering the same protection level.

Basically comes down to if you want ruggedness (AR500) or handiness (ceramic).
>>
>>29528618
Random anon here, I've been wondering about BCG's and full auto. If my current BCG is AR15/Semi style, could I just buy an M16/full auto style Bolt Carrier, put my current bolt in it, and be good to go? I read somewhere that you could do that and that it would preserve your head spacing.
>>
>Daniel Defense DDMV3 Rifle https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v3.html
>Trijicon ACOG&mid 4x32
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=ACOG&mid=4%20x%2032
>Sig Sauer P226
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-dak.aspx
>>
>>29528602
>I'd recommend buying parts individually. That way you'll be getting exactly what you want in the rifle.
This guy obviously doesn't know what he's doing, best to go with a prebuilt.

If he was a /k/ommando he'd have his shit together and know that what he wants is possible for way under $12k.
>>
>>29528699
Yep. The only real difference is the back part. It's got more metal which hits the sear on a full auto trigger group.
>>
>>29528135
KAC sr15 + glock 17 threaded + glock 19
Don't get the colt. Go gucci. Will hold value better and perform better.
>>
>>29528671
AR500 is shit and what you said is not accurate.

AR500 can be penetrated by some 5.56

And IV ceramics cannot
>>
>>29528135
scar 17s. dont look back
>>
>>29528843
You're an idiot. I can't even begin to count how many videos I've seen testing ceramic against steel plates and while ceramics are much lighter they're pretty much dust after 3-4 shots. I've seen assholes dump 60rd of green tip 5.56 into a steel plate from 10yd with 0 penetration.
>>
>>29528883
What plates do the military use?
>Level IV Ceramic

The Ceramic can withstand larger calibers despite only withstanding 5-6 shots at most

The Steel is too fucking heavy especially when marching and yes you can get shot at 30 times but why the fuck are you just standing there getting shot at. Plates dont make you iron man.
>>
>>29528883
To further on this, OP you've got enough money in your budget to go full retard with some to spare. Build yourself a decent AR (I like Aero Precision) in 5.56, stock some ammo, get a Glock or some other mid-range handgun, some AR500 plates (I like Spartan Armor), and a plate carrier. It honestly shouldn't run you over $5000.

Look for land in buttock nowhere in your area, I can find shit in mine for $500/acre. Buy some, go throw a cabin up, stockpile food and shit there if you're that concerned about the world ending because you sure as fuck don't want to be rolling around looking tactical as fuck or even like you have a weapon if SHTF. Pic related.

Check out SHTFSchool for more information about why not. It's coming from a dude who was in a SHTF situation for a year during the Bosnian war.
>>
>>29528912
No shit they don't make you iron man but I'd rather have plates than can take a lot of shit before penetrating instead of ceramics that turn to dust after a few shots and heavily deform after just one. It's not the military, there's no supply, you're not getting new plates if shit's hitting the fan.

You say steel plates won't handle larger calibers but I've seen steel plates take .30-06 shots out of an M1 at 10yd and not penetrate until the 5th or 6th shot in the same area. It's not like you'll be standing there getting shot but if you're in a city and shit's going down chances are you'll be getting shot at by a lot of people pretty frequently.
>>
>>29528979
One shot in the plate will knock you outta the game for a while

Its like being judo chopped in the stomach or chest by a man in power armor
>>
>>29529026
I'm aware but wouldn't you rather get knocked the fuck over with bruising and maybe cracked ribs than deal with a bullet wound? If you're looking for the best plates money can buy to stop a bullet yeah get ceramic, but if you're planning for the world ending you always go with the most durable choice because chances are if the world is actually ending it'll be near impossible to get another one unless you snag it during the initial chaos.
>>
>>29529059
steel too heavy for shtf situations

i use soft armor anyways
gotta maintain agility
>>
>>29528586
If you need to get through deep forest or wetlands, you need to walk it anyways. 4x4s, Razors, etc. are only as good as open ground and rudimentary roads will go, which is just fine for moderate bug-out situations. You have to think "Long-time camping trip" and not "DayZ survival".
>>
> LMT, KAC or DD AR15. ~2k
> Aimpoint red dot + mount ~750
> 2-3k 5.56 ammo + 20 pmags ~2k
>2 Glock 19s 1k
>4k 9mm 1250
> level IIIA best ~500

total should be around 7500

Spend the rest on food, water, a good multi tool, and putting together a bug out bag. Get in shape.

I'd go 1500 on food preps, 1500 on water preps, 2000 and the rest on the bug out bag and then just some essentials, first aid kit, good sleeping bag, good cold weather clothes, etc.

You're on the right rack anon, bad times are coming, be prepared or get ready to die.
>>
>>29529130
Thanks m8. I'm in shape and have 3 hounds but the true challenge is convincing my girl that I'm not a psycho
>>
>>29528586
If you get a small one like a 2 door TJ, you should be fine. Mine gets me through most wooded areas
>>
>>29528135
Get yourself an AR-15 made by BCM plus ten 30rd PMAGs. Get yourself a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 plus five 33rd magazines. For ammo, get yourself 1K rounds of M193 and 1K rounds of 9mm FMJ. Then get 1K rounds of .223 SP's for the rifle and 500 rounds of great 9mm HP's. Practice once a week and get into 3-Gun. Buy a Mossberg 930 SPX for said 3-Gun.

As for plate carrier, get yourself some Level IV plates and some magazine pouches; start with two rifle magazines and two pistol magazines and add more later if you feel comfortable.

Aside from this shit, get yourself a great flashlight and mount for your rifle, plus a red-dot optic (Aimpoint Micro H-2). Get yourself hi-viz sights for the handguns, plus a flashlight for the bigger one. Streamlight is good but overpriced.

Aside from that, start building a supply of food (Mountain House, Wise, MRE's, or durable foodstuffs to include wheat, rice, dried beans, seasonal fruits), water (1 month in cases plus filtration/treatment options for 2+ months--Lifestraw, iodine, bleach, and sub-1-micron filters), and fuel (propane preferred, gasoline plus stabilizers acceptable; consider solar power options like a Goal Zero Yeti 400 and an appropriate solar panel to charge it).

Finally, if you go that far, prepare some options for yourself. Privately purchase cheap but functional guns. Get a few magazines and some ammo. Bury them with some basic survival gear (Altoids tin, flashlight, clothing, emergency shelter, first aid kit, map/compass, et cetera) and memorize their coordinates. For information, make sure you an amateur radio (Yaesu is great and BaoFeng is poorfag tier) and prepare an old laptop with lots of information likely to be controlled. (Survival, military, history, politics, espionage, encryption, virtual machine software, et cetera.)
>>
File: IMG_20160301_191756.jpg (2 MB, 2949x4159) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160301_191756.jpg
2 MB, 2949x4159
Shtf fighting kit huh?
>BCM upper with PSA lower: $700-1300 depending on trigger, rail, stock, pistol grip, controls, and muzzle device.
>$1000 optics budget. I'd say a low power variable scope like a vortex viper PST or low power fixed scope like an acog. Magnification is better no magnification. Fuck red dot magnifiers though.
>a surefire g2x tactical and vtac light mount is $70, weapon lights are important.
>$30 for a magpul sling.
>$70 for 10 d&h usgi enhanced magazines.
>$1000 glock 17 and 26. Your fighting secondary and your concealable back up gun. You could also spend a bit more for a USP for the fighting secondary and get something like m&p shield or glock 43. for DEEP concealment, nothing beats a j-frame revolver.
>$300 for a set of armorwear.com ceramic lvl ivs.
>$300 for a pig plate carrier. It's tough, works with all sizes of people and all plate sizes. it also has a double cumberbund flap and an 8 column front instead of a 6 column like most plate carriers.
>for pouches, put 4 pig single bombers up front. Double stack mags can really suck in prone. Put a its fastmag on your support side for a speed reload, and 5+1 magazines really should be all you need to break contact, which you will do in all fights in SHTF. Keep more mags in pack you can cycle out once you're out of the hot zone. You'll need a good ifak, and a 3l water bladder either in a camelbak type thing or in a small pack like I got in my pic. Consider a radio for coordinating with friends or communication with local authorities. Baofeng UVR is well liked and cheap. These pouches, hydration bladder, holster for pistols and the radio will probably come out around $400.

My idea is to stay home. Stock up on food. Find people you trust to hold down the fort with you till things blow over. There you can skip the vehicle and focus on getting your house ready. A fence, a dog, and better locks.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-07-00-58-45.png (313 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-07-00-58-45.png
313 KB, 1080x1920
>>29528946
Dude I saved this too XD
>>
>>29528135
Handgun: FN Five seveN. 20 rds of 5.7x28, but ammo's kinda expensive and the gun will run you about 1200
>>
>>29528395
>willing to drop 86% of all the money to your name
>>
>>29528408
Do you know something we don't anon?
>>
>>29531127
this
>>
>>29528408
Or you could make a more modest investment. BCM upper, PSA lower, 5 mags, and 1K rounds. For prepper lite, get a flat of water and a week's worth of freeze-dried food. (If mostly active, call it 4 days worth. If inactive, it can be stretched to 2 weeks worth.)
>>
>>29529026
That really depends on how much the armor deforms. If it doesn't deform (handgun, shotgun, or low-velocity rifle), then you can shrug it off no problem with minimal damage to your plate. If the steel deforms from something big, then it's a matter of how much it deforms and how much of the immediate deformation is absorbed by carrier padding. You could shrug off low-power rounds (22LR, 30-30, 5.56), have damage from mid-power rounds (308, 30-06, 270, etc), and have the rifle defeated by high-power rounds (magnum rifle cartridges).

It also depends on where the round strikes. If it's on a corner, it'll cause a lot more trauma.
>>
>>29528618

>In the event that the Hughes Amendment is struck down

Don't get your hopes up, anon.
>>
File: 1454155414842.jpg (27 KB, 454x454) Image search: [Google]
1454155414842.jpg
27 KB, 454x454
>>29528788

>implying Colt isn't Gucci

Just having that pony stamped on the receiver along with "Colt" is enough to hold it's value.
>>
>>29528883

>they're pretty much dust after 3-4 shots

If you've been getting hit more than once you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>29529130
> 2-3k 5.56 ammo + 20 pmags ~2k
Is your ammo made of gold, or do you think that 20 pmags cost 1000 dollars?
>>
>>29532150
>>29528883
That's not true anyway. Ceramic plates are surprisingly strong and unless you get hit in the exact same spot they still hold together. The plate is retained in a casing not just stuck on with chewing gum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMeQDtfZDEI
>>
>>29528195
Dig a hole in a remote place, put a septic tank in it, and hide in it with no ventilation.
You could fill it with helium for added giggles.

You won't even feel the shit hitting the fan.
>>
>>29528135
If you know something we don't, share it with your /k/omrades..
>>
>>29528195
>I'm convinced war or massive riots is coming in the next few years. I have about $15000 to my name as of now
Instead of buying a load of guns + plates, why not buy a few guns, ammunition, some long lasting food and supplies, and spend the rest on gun handling classes and survival classes?

The LAST thing you should do in a social collapse scenario is to stroll out with your fancy guns and plate carrier and mag pouches. Because unless you're in an armed group, you're going to get targeted for your supplies and I doubt you'll be able to hold off everyone by your lone self.
>>
>>29528883
>get hit 3-4 times
>in a SHTF scenario
>be by yourself
You fucked up. If someone got the drop on you or you got out played, ceramic or steel is the least of your fucking worries if you just got hit multiple times in a situation where social infrastructure has collapsed and you're alone with no support.
>>
>>29528727
Those are all terrible suggestions.
>>
>>29528395
You might want to educate yourself on firearms before anything, seeing as you clearly know fuck all about them.
>>
>>29529223
I usually just pin mine down to the bed with the duvet and scream warnings of the happening at her for 45 mins or so, until I get tired or fall asleep.

Took a few weeks but I think she's getting the message.
>>
>>29531127
November 14th 5:49PM EST 2016
>>
>>29533082
This is the only good reply.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.