[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything inherently wrong with a new production Mini-14?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: Mini14GB.jpg (2 MB, 2840x980) Image search: [Google]
Mini14GB.jpg
2 MB, 2840x980
Is there anything inherently wrong with a new production Mini-14?
>>
Other than its outlandish price and expensive mags? Probably not.
>>
>>29526550
Overpriced compared to similar options like an AR. Otherwise, nothing.
>>
Yeah, it's not an M1A Scout
>>
>>29526550
Good rifle
I live in Bermuda and me gusta mucho
I even have my own
>>
File: 1444776571440.jpg (95 KB, 987x700) Image search: [Google]
1444776571440.jpg
95 KB, 987x700
>>29526596
>M1A
>implying they aren't worse than a PTR-91
>>
The price, the price of magazines, lack of reasonably-priced aftermarket, and the automatic fudd status you acquire from owning one.
>>
>>29526596
>Buying Springfield
>2000+16
Enjoy your made in Taiwan/Brazil/Canada/everwherenotamerica trash.
>>
>>29526596
M1A is as reliable as the Mini-14 and no more so
>>
File: disgust.gif (3 MB, 315x174) Image search: [Google]
disgust.gif
3 MB, 315x174
>>29526596
>>
overpriced compared to an AR-15

accessories are more expensive including magazines

less accessories

less accurate

less reliable

I wish, I wish it had something going for it, but unless you are just collecting different types of weapons, an AR15 is superior to it in every way
>>
>>29526622
I'm actually considering getting one because of the fudd aesthetics. Everything must be made of wood.

Everything.
>>
>>29526607
>>29526628
>>29526631
>>29526641
You're all fucking retards.
>>
>>29526642
mine has been as reliable as my colt

and it is handier and more robust
>>
>>29526647
>implying the only 7.62x51 rifle I would ever buy is not SCAR-17S

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>29526662
ok nogunz
>>
>>29526655
>more robust
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>29526678
I like your argument, clearly you are a very well informed individual.
>>
File: famiry of raifu2.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
famiry of raifu2.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4000
>>29526671
Joke's on you, shitter. I don't own any 7.62Neato. Get fucked.
>>
>>29526647
I bet you think Springfield Armory Inc. and Springfield Armory are the same.
>>
>>29526645
If that's what does it for you, it's a damn good rifle. The only real issue is that the op rod, like the one on the M14, has some issues with the whole... three 90 degree turns making it a bit structurally weaker.
But most people are never going to see that issue.
If you want some cheaper magazines, ProMags aren't too bad. At least their metal stuff isn't crap.
>>
>>29526691
>foreign guns
Fuck off.
>>
File: 1366245426940.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1366245426940.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>>29526710
>the packpedal
>>
>>29526716
commie
>>
File: SAM_0004.jpg (1 MB, 1844x1383) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0004.jpg
1 MB, 1844x1383
>>29526750
>he who posts no guns
>>
They're decent rifles, if they were in the $500 range I'd probably buy one. They're not worth anything more than that in my opinion.

I know nobody asked about AR15s, but whenever Mini-14s are brought up I always have to say that there is no reason to buy a Mini-14 when you can get an AR15 that is functionally superior in almost every way for $600.
>>
>>29526550
Well, if you go by sheer functionality, no.
If you compare it to an AR/AK (mini14/30) the others will beat it in every category.
>>
>>29526645
What the fuck is wrong with owning firearms that have wooden furniture? You fucking pleb.
>>
>>29526762
CS fag
>>
>>29526762
That AUG is so beautiful.
>WHY DO I HAVE TO BE A UK FAG! :(
>>
File: SAM_0006.jpg (1 MB, 1844x1383) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0006.jpg
1 MB, 1844x1383
>>29526808
The AUG is a very fucking beautiful gun that shoots wonderfully. I took my family shooting this January in the sub-10F degree weather and it was their favorite.

Such light recoil impulse and the sight is lovely to use, despite the simplicity.
>>
>>29526550
Yes. There are a few old problems and some new ones.
The barrel thickness issue was finally fixed.
Machining was retooled, improving QC substantially.
The design still vents hot gas to a big slide under the barrel. This means you can easily burn your hand on the gas block or melt your stock if it doesn't have a metal heat shield (protip: for some retarded reason most aftermarket Mini-14 stocks don't have them). This also still vents hot gas directly under the barrel, contributing to premature overheating and some shot stringing, although with the thicker barrel it's much less of an issue.
Magazines are still the old rock-in pattern. This is now the #1 complaint. Not only are they not as cheap, available or convenient as AR mags, but again for some retarded reason the lock-in point isn't a horizontal shelf like an AK that's relatively easy to find. Instead they copied the M14 where you have to find a notch and line it up to engage it. This is pretty fiddly and hard to do quickly and consistently. Better yet, the retards made the notch a circle. This allows he magazine to wobble side to side a little, which is why so many of the aftermarket mags jam so easily. Getting those tolerances right is a bitch, which was totally unnecessary from the standpoint of the design when it was introduced.
A new problem is the rear sight. The old flip sights kinda sucked, the apertures had trouble holding zero but the new PC-9 style aluminum block is just downright terrible. It is a pain to adjust and it quickly wears out, allowing the aperture to wander. Replacing it is my #1 recommendation for anyone acquiring a new 580+ series Mini-14. A large portion of the remaining accuracy problems (where people report hitting the edge of the paper with 1/20 or so rounds at 25 yards) are not in fact defective barrels or poorly cut chambers, it's just the rear sights shifting windage/elevation between shots.

That said,I used to have one and I loved owning it, but it had flaws.
>>
>>29526799
Nothing. I want wooden furniture. Chill.
>>
>>29526622
being a fudd is certainly better than being a mall ninja.
>>
The fact that they were designed to do nothing else aside from murder Canadian women.
>>
Better question: if you want a semi-auto in .223 with wooden furniture, is there a better option than the Mini-14?
>>
>>29526642
^Pretty much what he said. It's a cool gun, get it if you just want it but AR15>mini14 any day.
>>
>>29528956
AR15, once again.
>>
>>29529000
Nah, if I were going to buy an AR I'd just get a normal one. Looks wrong with a wood stuck.
>>
>>29529000
>>29529088
Unless you've actually have had military service, buying an AR just makes you look like a mall ninja. Especially after you tacticool it up with a lot of useless junk.

If you just want a complete rifle right out of the box, you want a mini-14 not an AR.
>>
I have a new mini-14 and it ejects cartridges out the right to about 50 feet! So it fires in two directions... :)

But really one of the best guns ever made...

You really can buy cheap shit mags for the mini-14 just like the ARs....

The mini-14 is sort of expensive but I shoot about twice the cost of the gun in ammo through it every year so DGAF...

Not the 300,000 thousand after market things to change on it like the "hot rod" AR-15 world...

I use stainless steel ones and they are indestructible.
>>
>>29529235
>buying a better designed firearm in every conceivable way is mall ninja.
There is no reason to own a mini-14 unless you got it for a ridiculously low price, live in california or another ban state, or purchased it during the AWB
>>
>>29529319

You do not need an ellipses after every sentence. This isn't your tumblr blog, you underage fuccboi.
>>
>>29526829

i kinda hate to say it because its unamerican, but the AUG is all kinds of wonderful, from what i can tell. i really want one with the set up that accepts AR mags.

i bet you can comfortably hold it level with one hand.
>>
>>29526690

considering the fact that its just a scaled down M1A, and the M1A is not reliable in harsh conditions, no its not as robust or reliable as an AR

>hurr proof

there are M1A torture tests, they even did a mud test with it
>>
>>29526550
the fact that you can make or even buy an AR that is better in every way for cheaper.

if youre opposed to the AR or cant have one because you live in a commie shithole the biggest gripes are the expensive mags, inability to use steel cased ammo, outdated action, and reduced capacity
>>
>>29529365

Sorry to disturb you Anon-kun... ;)
>>
>>29526550
Nothing wrong with them at all.

I have a 583 series I bought new at wally world at the end of last year. I've ran about 600rds, so far. Not a single hangup yet, Flawless operation out of the box. most of the 600rds were steel Tula. And I shoot at a home range, not at a range range, and it has been a lot of fun.

I've always wanted a mini since I was a kid, and I haven't ever wanted an AR since I've been an adult, didn't want to jump on the band wagon.
>>
>>29529334
>>buying a better designed firearm in every conceivable way

Hahaha, oh you're funny.
Sounds like a glock fanboi only for ARs instead. Any AR I've seen for less than a mini-14 were models you would not want.
Polymer lowers, or no sights on them, it's like buying project gun you have to complete. I don't see how that make it better designed unless you know what you want on it or are doing.

OP like anything else, buy want you want and practice with it. Don't let any one else tell you want is best only you can be the final judge in that. Hell if you have the money you might even consider a Sig 556 over the AR and mini-14, or even an AUG.

But if you really want a mini-14 go for it, and don't let any fanboi tell you otherwise.
>>
File: Mini-14.jpg (3 MB, 4228x1576) Image search: [Google]
Mini-14.jpg
3 MB, 4228x1576
Here is a pretty new mini-14 SS with the dust cover popped off....

I suppose if you jumped into thick mud it might jam before you pissed on it to clean it...

But the MINI-14 is a heavy duty war (and infamous criminal) proven design that only has 4 parts that will never seriously break.

I keep all mine safely stored on my sail boat in case I need them... :D
>>
File: MINI-14-01.jpg (2 MB, 2144x1608) Image search: [Google]
MINI-14-01.jpg
2 MB, 2144x1608
>>29529913

Not to just beat a dead horse. But sometimes dead horses just jump up and start prancing again if you don't beat them dead good enough.

I took 2 seconds and popped the trigger mech out and then the whole upper pops off just the same to show the extreme complexity of the mini-14........... The little trigger guard clamp really does hold the whole damn thing together...

A dump monkey could fix these things very quickly....

An old extremely simple design that is very easy to fix and it shoots bullets just the same as an AR.

Definitely get stainless steel! Then you can store them under water :D

They really don't need any lubrication unless you want them to last longer than you will.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.