[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Spend thousands of dollars per soldier/marine to train them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (1 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1136x640
>Spend thousands of dollars per soldier/marine to train them on marksmanship
>Spend thousands of dollars per rifle to equip it with accuracy enhancing optics and to constantly check the bores to make sure they are in-spec
>Still using substandard, improperly floated handguards.

I just don't understand it. The accuracy of infantry rifles could be literally doubled (4+ MOA down to 2 MOA) by simply putting free floating handguards on them. I understand that volume of fire, fire & manuever, etc- but the cost to benefit ratio is so fucking low to do this compared to what is already spent.

Literally the only reason I can think of for two-life handguards is grenade launchers, but we have rail mounted ones now.

Free floating handguards when?
>>
>>29524348
I don't think the issue is about the MOA or cost. It's if that shit would break, because infantry breaks everything.
>>
>>29524348
When the army decides to slap on a DD risII on all their new M4A1s.

Rip bayonets
>>
File: 1460014980264.gif (993 KB, 499x208) Image search: [Google]
1460014980264.gif
993 KB, 499x208
>>29524348
>The accuracy of infantry rifles could be literally doubled (4+ MOA down to 2 MOA) by simply putting free floating handguards on them
>>
The 203 is not rail mounted.
DD RIS II is a two piece free floating rail which allows the 203 to still be barrel mounted.
>>
>>29524348

Surely you don't need to be /that/ accurate? As long as the enemy isn't shooting you anymore I don't see what the issue is
>>
>>29524348
The M16 is a 2-3 MOA rifle with cheap military ammo, and is not going to get much better with free floating unless the ammo is also changed.

2 MOA at 500m is still enough to hit a guy reliably, and most combat shooting will not be as accurate as the precision of the rifle to begin with.
>>
Free floating doesn't make a considerable improvement to accuracy. It aids consistency.
>>
>>29524398
>What is the M320

>>29524390
Standard handguards limit the rifles to about 4MOA, free float can take them down to 2.

>>29524399
What military commander would turn down the opportunity to literally, instantly double the accuracy of his troops for a relatively low, one time cost?

The military spends millions of dollars trying to enhance rifleman accuracy through both equipment and training.
>>
>>29524439
>Standard handguards limit the rifles to about 4MOA, free float can take them down to 2
So uh, you don't have a source do you?
>>
>>29524439
>double the accuracy
It doubles the precision of the rifle, the accuracy of the troops is up to them you tard.

If you think that combat shooting is sub 4MOA you must not shoot much or only shoot from the bench.
>>
>>29524348
Because combat arms don't shoot from lead sleds.
>>
File: Rangers.jpg (549 KB, 3430x2278) Image search: [Google]
Rangers.jpg
549 KB, 3430x2278
>>29524348
>Still using substandard, improperly floated handguards.
They're not floated. On purpose. They didn't see spending substantially more on outfitting every infantryman in the military with a free-floated rail when the rifle already gets 1-2 MOA without it.

Free-float is better utilized for designated marksman, snipers, and special operations.
>>
>>29524348
>(4+ MOA down to 2 MOA)
The standard for combat rifles is 4MOA bare minimum. An M4 that isn't completely worn down will get 2-3MOA easy. The gun is already more accurate than you and %99 of the US Military. Likely more. I don't think even the best fucking marksman we have will pull a two inch group, standing, and at 100 yards. If he can, he should be behind a .50 or a .338 not an M4.

>The accuracy of infantry rifles could be literally doubled

A freefloat handguard will not double the inherent accuracy of a rifle. We also do not spend "thousands" of dollars on optics per rifle, most rifles wear the Aimpoint not the ACOG. Even then we aren't paying MSRP for the ACOGs we do stick on guns. I still see most grunts running around with irons.
>>
>>29524348
Spoiler alert; a FF rail is going to have next to no impact on the performance of the typical infantryman's M4 with the ranges it is meant to engage hostiles at.
>>
>>29524450
Relative accuracy will be better. If it's not an improvement, why do the new SOPMOD kits to free float?

>>29524444

http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/Archive/PracticalRangeSmallArms.pdf
>>
>>29524439
>relatively low
At minimum, double the cost of the average rail
>one time cost
>one time
In the infantry, we break everything. Everything will break. You will have to replace it. Multiple times over the course of the weapons lifespan.
>>
>>29524499
Because people who run SOPMODs are important enough to get really expensive shit on their rifle that only improves their shooting marginally due to constantly bearing the weight of the most important shit-to-be-shoveled?
>>
>>29524480
It's a pretty good upgrade for a lot more reasons. It allows you to hold it out farther which reduces muzzle rise and allows you to mount a light farther out. That and a lot of M-lok and keymod free float handguards are actually lighter than an A2 sight base while allowing you to use low profile backup sights that and be lowered giving the shooter slightly better situation awareness since there's not a big front sight blocking part of their vision while aiming, especially with ACOGs.
>>
>>29524499
>http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/Archive/PracticalRangeSmallArms.pdf
>ctrl+f
>hand
>guard
>float
>1 match is coastguard the other is on the other hand
So this has nothing to do with what you're discussing?
>>
>>29524518
>really expensive shit
a quality free float tube on the commercial market with a full top rail can be had for around $150. That's not expensive shit.
>>
>>29524538
Step on that 150 dollar rail and see what happens
>>
>Spend thousands of dollars per soldier/marine to train them on marksmanship
>Spend thousands of dollars per rifle to equip it with accuracy enhancing optics and to constantly check the bores to make sure they are in-spec
>a sandnigger with a >$100 AK can still kill them with a better cost/quality ratio
>>
>>29524348
>The accuracy of infantry rifles could be literally doubled (4+ MOA down to 2 MOA) by simply putting free floating handguards on
Is this a troll? I feel like it's a troll.
>>
>>29524573
nope, just autism
>>
>>29524544
Found the tactical response instructor
>>
>>29524390
Do you really want to say that a M4 is less accurate than a low end AK-47? Because most AK's are 3MOA, with 2MOA for the really good ones.
>>
It's a SBR 5.56 and they're using them against man-sized targets. free floating handguards won't make an appreciable difference at ranges where the rifle is useful
>>
>>29524544
They should just use nagants

Problem solved
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.