[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/ Real question, is it actually possible to aim for limbs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: Fallout_3_V.A.T.S._Screen.png (372 KB, 560x330) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_3_V.A.T.S._Screen.png
372 KB, 560x330
Hi /k/

Real question, is it actually possible to aim for limbs (especially in a heated situation) or is that all just video game/Hollywood bullshit?
>>
cops some times shoot people in the leg on purpose, instead of aiming at the torso

but forget about that shit if the target is sprinting or something
>>
>>29522982
Depends, but generally no. You generally don't have the time to line up a shot like that. Sometimes you do, though, especially if you're a sniper or are catching an opponent off guard.
>>
>>29522982
You always aim for center mass. No exceptions. If you fire your weapon, you shoot to kill.

-2 tours, 11b infantry.
>>
In the old cowboy shows they did impressive trick shooting. There's a guy that can hit an aspirin thrown in the air from a few dozen feet away with his BOW AND ARROW.

Anything is possible. Feasibility is a different matter.
>>
>>29522982
Depends.
>dude just sitting there and you pop him
Yeah probably
>dude is sprinting away or at you like a bat out of hell?
Nah.
>>
File: nope.gif (430 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
430 KB, 160x160
>>29522993
No
>>
I'm not up to that level of skill, but with enough practice you can do pretty ridiculous things

Just look at people like Jerry Miculek
>>
>>29522982
No. Hollywood and video games exaggerate like mad. Always aim for center of mass. Headshots as cool as they seem are pure bullshit too.
>>
>>29523009
Ol' Jerry wouldn't be so hot shit standing in a combat zone taking mortar and machine gun fire. I imagine his hands would be shaking like an epileptic with the hiccups.
>>
>>29523006

Don't say no and not give a reason why, that is just fucking dumb.
>>
>>29522982
Shoot to wound doesn't exist, that's how you get sued and sent to jail. Besides, why not fine center mass?
>>
>>29523011
In the Army we just called it center mass. I am puzzled by the introduction of the word "of." Strange. I bet it was borne from the civilian world.
>>
>>29523042
The reason ought to be obvious to anyone with half a brain or a modicum of experience. In a gun fight, you do not have time to aim for the ankle, hot rod. You shoot center mass. That's it. They call it deadly force for a reason.
>>
>>29523033
This. Adrenaline in the heat of battle or even just a confrontation will cause you to lose any "skill" you have to aim. Of course movies ignore this completely.
>>
>>29523128
Adrenaline is like meth, and by God can it be destructive and helpful to the wrong person.
Don't ever mix em
>>
What? Of course it is. You can aim for anything and everything, otherwise you'd never hit.

Anything other than center mass is retarded, but you can.

Unless they're wearing armor, then it's pelvis shots for days.
>>
>>29523128
>Adrenaline in the heat of battle or even just a confrontation will cause you to lose any "skill" you have to aim
Nit really, if you practice enough the muscle memory and habits come into play.

You would be a lot worse that's for sure, but saying that you would lose any skill is retarded.
>>
Depends on what kind of gun you are using
>>
>>29523033
>>29523128
>This. Adrenaline in the heat of battle or even just a confrontation will cause you to lose any "skill" you have to aim.

You also lose the ability to perform tasks consciously, only subconscious tasks have a good chance of working

Considering jerry has millions of repetitions, and competition itself is a stressful environment, I think he would shoot really good.
>>
>>29523128
Uh no. Adrenaline actually makes me a better person in every aspect. I think faster, everything is slow motion, it's clear.
>>
>>29522982
Always aim for centermass. Even in restricted training manuals for CO's it advises against shooting limbs since realistically the target is going to be moving and the goal is to incapicitate, not miss.

That's for lethal fire, however. In a situation calling for non-lethal we're trained to aim in the general area of the legs. So it's not complete bullshit. It's different because the goal is specifically to prevent fatalities, but if one is charging we're advised to aim where we can hit.
>>
>>29523206
People are well repititioned on taking a piss yet many of them piss their pants when they're scared. Your argument is moot.

You can be a fucking robot and still have your very foundations shattered once some rag head is pouring down RPK fire on your position.

>RPG!
>It' s cool, I have competition shooting experience
>Yay! we're all safe!

Yeah, no.
>>
>>29523305
I'm calling bullshit. No department trains its officers to shoot for the legs.
>>
>>29523337
>using pee comparisons

What the fuck?
>>
>>29523365
It's Lex Luthor
>>
>>29523360
You do when it requires to skip fire wooden batons.
>>
>>29523062
center of mass comes from physics
center mass appears like it dropped the of
>>
File: k.png (3 KB, 348x81) Image search: [Google]
k.png
3 KB, 348x81
>>29522997
How'd you get negative two tours
>>
>>29523062
Pretty sure that's the opposite since centre of mass is the correct scientific term. The again the guy could be from an other country and wouldn't be on touch with US military terms
>>
>>29523042
It's been gone over ad nauseam here, you do not shoot to injure, it just doesn't fucking happen and it's actually far less legal than shooting to kill.
If you need to use a firearm, the intent is that whatever you use it on will likely not he alive anymore.
>>
>>29524328
>correct scientific term
Uh, no. It is Center Mass, Longshire.
>>
>>29524957
I feel like there may be a pun but whatever. I'm not english native sorry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass
>>
>>29522993
Shooting someone in the leg is just as dangerous as shooting them anywhere else.

Stop talking about things you know nothing about.
>>
>>29523688
That's a 3rd ID deployment, -2 if you're an attachment.
>>
>>29525220
I've been airborne most of my military career. But no matter what title attachment is bestowed, I am through and through infantry. You can be this or you can be that but you can't be anything unless you're infantry. Infantry. 11Bravo.

I've been there and done that in all the impressive units related to our MOS. However, when someone asks me what I did in the Army, I tell them I was an Infantryman. I don't say I was a paratrooper. I don't say I was a ranger. I say Infantry.

And I hold my head high.
>>
>>29522982
Yes it is. If you can't nail somebody in the head, groin, or legs when they are ten feet away from you that's your own problem. The question comes in when you think about the application. The only good time I can think of to shoot someone anywhere but center mass is to execute them or if they are wearing body armor.

>>29522997

This mentality is going to fuck us up bad when we finally go to war with another big army that wears plates like we do. Especially if they're steel plates and can take a hit or seventy of 5.56 ball.
>>
>>29522982
You can certainly try, but it's going to be a much harder shot since arms and legs are relatively thin and move a lot more than the torso o even the head.

Also you still have a pretty high chance of killing them. If you really wanted to try muh non-lethal hit, you could try shooting them in the pelvis, but once again, that could still kill them pretty easily.
>>
>>29522982

Well of course it fucking is you retard.

Do you think there's some law of the universe that says you can't aim at a limb? Like the bullets will just magically curve and veer off into space if you do it?

It's just a dumb fucking thing to do because limbs are small and shooting one won't stop the threat.

>b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but I don't want to kill anyone

THEN DONT

FUCKING

SHOOT THEM
>>
File: artblk3[1].jpg (52 KB, 530x500) Image search: [Google]
artblk3[1].jpg
52 KB, 530x500
>>29522982
Shoot to maim is a MYTH!
Aim for the legs = probably hit an artery
Aim for the shoulders = probably hit an artery
It's exactly why police carry specialized nonlethal(ish) tools if they aren't using lethal force
>>
>>29525442
But everyone else uses 5.56 or 5.45

I don't quite think 7.62x39 is that good at plate killing either. It would be neat seeing specialized riflemen or units that use armor piercing rounds specifically for that kind of engagement though.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.