[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
knife sharpening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_1144[1].jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1144[1].jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Recently got a new knife (Kabar ZK} off my friend but its blunt as fuck. Any tips on sharpening knives /k/?
>>
>>29521737
Google it?
>>
File: makefoldersgreatagain.jpg (73 KB, 1500x319) Image search: [Google]
makefoldersgreatagain.jpg
73 KB, 1500x319
>>29521737
Buy a new knife. Something not Kabar and not "zombie". I recommend a smith and wesson border guard.

In all seriousness there are multiple ways to sharpen your shitty zombie knife. Anything from sharpening sticks to stones.
>>
>>29521737
Get one of those lamsky sharpeners
>>
>>29521737
Start a thread on /out/, its a slow board but if you wait they will answer your question with decent detail
>>
I suggest getting a cheap Opinel or similar to learn on. You can go get sharpening 'systems' and jigs, or you can get bench stones, or you can even get flat glass and adhesive abrasive paper.

If you don't care about muh art of sharpening, don't care about being able to push cut hairs off your head and just want a good usable sharp edge that's well maintained then just buy a good sharpening system like the Spyderco or Lanksy one.

If you want stones then prepare for a bit of a learning curve, it's also easy to fuck up your bevel if you're inexperienced. Simplest and most utilitarian setup would be a double sided diamond stone and then maybe a finer ceramic stone, that would take care of just about everything. You could also get a full set of Japanese style water stones, or you could get natural whetstones or oil stones. But if it's not ceramic or diamond be prepared to have to do lapping maintenance to your stones. I'm about to buy some float glass and grit to lap myh Belgian Blue whetstone, which will be enjoyable if you're and autist like me. Not that I'm even very good at sharpening.

A good sharpening system is always a good thing to have just to completely regrind bevels and fix fuck-ups and damage with precision and relative easy. My advice is to start with something like pic related and add more later if you want.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2DDpB8Pjho
>>
>>29521762
>not sure if irony
>>
>>29521737

There are a bunch of approaches to sharpening, but it mostly comes down to answering this question:

Would you rather:

1) Invest a bunch of time up front to learn how to freehand, but then be able to sharpen knives very quickly once you know how.

Or

2) Be able to sharpen right away, but have to spend quite a bit more time sharpening each knife?

If 1, learn to frehand on benchstones, if 2, buy a guided system like a Spyderco Sharpmaker or Lansky or EdgePro or Wicked Edge.
>>
>>29521737
>blunt
just some advice, blade-friend, knives get dull not blunt
>>
Water stones can be had for cheap and are pretty easy to learn and use unless you have some sort of nerve damage.

Pull through sharpeners work if your lazy and want to get it done fast, but take metal from your knife.

Lansky sharpening systems are pretty solid and aren't hard to learn to use.

Personally I went from pull through to water stone and don't plan on going back, but with water stones, you need a towel on whatever surface your doing it on, which some people find annoying. Also if you have power tools such as a bench grinder or buffing wheel, it can be whole fucking lot easier to just use those.
>>
File: 6985515340_4984f2619e.jpg (118 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
6985515340_4984f2619e.jpg
118 KB, 500x313
Got pic related. Thick piece of steel. What would be the best way to sharpen it?
>>
>>29521763
>>29523853

This.
I got a 3 stone lansky at Academy for $25. It takes some metal off to reshape the edge when you first set the angle but after that it's real easy to touch a knife back up to razor sharp with the fine stone.
>>
Anyone else use a file to set the initial angle? its fast as fuck. I start by setting an angle with a file, then move to and finish with stones. works pretty fine.
>>
File: bastard .jpg (26 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
bastard .jpg
26 KB, 800x800
>>29527172
like this. forgot picture.
>>
>>29525560
put it in the garbage bin because that's only way to improve meme knives
>>
>>29525560
With a stone
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.