[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like your scope turrets to adjust point of aim or point
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15
File: 1 click = WHAT THO.jpg (79 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
1 click = WHAT THO.jpg
79 KB, 800x500
Do you like your scope turrets to adjust point of aim or point of impact?

I wasted ammo today discovering which my scope was.
>>
>>29520414
You are retarded, consider suicide

Am I being trolled? Or are you actually just a moron.

Your rifle shoots where your rifle shoots, regardless of what your fucking scope reticle tells you it is going to shoot at.
>>
File: 1457907897491.png (3 MB, 857x2440) Image search: [Google]
1457907897491.png
3 MB, 857x2440
>>29520414
>Do you like your scope turrets to adjust point of aim or point of impact?
>>
>>29520498
>>29520510
>i dont own a gun: the posts
>>
>>29520629
>I was only pretending to be retarded
Scopes don't affect the point of impact at all. You adjust the scope (Your point of aim) until it meets your point of impact.
>>
>>29520414
>scope adjusts point of impact
No.
>>
File: nfturretx250.jpg (10 KB, 250x215) Image search: [Google]
nfturretx250.jpg
10 KB, 250x215
>>29520689
What's with all these noguns? I'm just asking a simple question of preference.
>>
if you want to move your impact right, you twist your turret in the direction that says right.

so if your missing left, turn turret in "right" direction. if your missing low, turn turret "up" direction.
>>
>>29520752
there are scopes that go both ways
some turrets are marked to move the reticle to point of impact
some turrets are marked to move the point of impact to the reticle
they do the same thing but the turrets are marked differently
"up" isnt always counter clockwise and what "up" means isnt always impact so there are four types of adjustment

i think op just simplified to two
>>
>>29520785
Is that what the fuck OP was trying to ask?
>>
>>29520414
I spent the extra money on a scope that changes POI

I mean, come the fuck on, why would you waste money on anything less?
You can put the bullet literally wherever you want, just by changing the knobs
Hell, you don't even have to move your aiming point because just by adjusting the knobs, the bullet will land wherever you want even when you're aiming at the same point
>>
>>29520414
That's why you read the fucking manual, dipshit
>>
OP here, holy shit this thread so far.

Look, it's real simple. I have about seven or eight scopes. Say for a given scope my shot point of impact is 2" below the point of aim. One scope has an arrow that says "Up = 1/4" at 100 yards." I crank eight clicks "up" and now my next shot is 4" below the point of aim instead of zeroed. Why? Because the turret is marked to adjust the RETICLE "up" relative to the point of impact.

On scope 2 let's say I'm shooting 4" right. Again the turret says "Right = 1/4" at 100 yards.) I crank 16 clicks "right" and now I'm zeroed. Why? Because this scope's turrets are marked to adjust the POINT OF IMPACT right relative to the reticle.

I'm asking which people prefer. I assure you that both adjustments exist.
>>
File: XmenApoc.jpg (43 KB, 600x415) Image search: [Google]
XmenApoc.jpg
43 KB, 600x415
>>29520856
>>
>>29520856
So you're an idiot who thinks because one scope is backwards you think the difference is POA vs POI

I get it, you're retarded
>>
>>29520856
Both are adjustments of Aim, just that you need to RTFM.
>>
>>29520986
>adjustments of Aim
see image
>>29520702
>>
>>29521000
Yeah, because nothing has ever been mislabelled on cheap optics ever.
>>
>>29521020
thats nightforce champ
your power level is showing
>>
>>29521026
>nighforce
So you're agreeing with me. Okay.
>>
>>29520498
>>29520510
You guys are such idiots.

>>29520414
Most are point of impact, and that's the way I like it.
>>
>>29520498
>>29520510
>>29520661
>>29520689

All those no gun retards...

Isn't it time for bed, kids?
>>
>>29521065
All scope adjustments are adjustments to point of aim. All you're talking is about labelling. Which is meaningless, and doesn't affect anything in any meaningful way.
>>
>>29521065
>>29521054
>samefagging now
We're not retarded, you're just using incorrect terms. Please, explain how a scope changes the trajectory of a bullet?
>>
>>29521074
>All you're talking is about labelling
NO
FUCKING
SHIT

THE
WHOLE
THREAD
>>
>>29521078
POI vs POA refers to how a scope is adjusted.

In POI, adjusting the scope left will point the reticule towards the right, therefore apparently moving the point of impact to the left.
In POA, adjusting the scope left will point the reticule towards the left, and apparently moving the point of impact towards the right.

Nobody EVER said a POI scope changed the trajectory, however, the distinction exists, as some scopes are "set to adjust" POI and others POA. POI being more common.
It's like adjusting a front sight vs adjusting a rear sight.

If you have better terminology, please share.
>>
>>29521160
>Nobody EVER said a POI scope changed the trajectory
That's what OP implied, the way he wrote it.
>>
>>29521160
>POI vs POA refers to how a scope is adjusted.

Nope
Just the direction of labeling
Does not mean it changes POI
If you left the gun in a vice and adjusted the knobs on either one, the gun would still put rounds in the same spot every time
>>
>>29521174
>If you left the gun in a vice and adjusted the knobs on either one, the gun would still put rounds in the same spot every time
That's not true. And again, nobody said it actually changed the point of impact.

Say your bullet impacts right of the reticule.
One type of scope would need to be rotated "Left" to get you on target, the other one would need to be rotated "Right". Think of it as moving the reticle towards the POI or "APPARENTLY" moving the POI towards the reticule.

It is a labeling issue, but it's still an issue nonetheless. How else would you describe that phenomenon other than "POI vs POA"?
>>
>>29521245
>That's not true.
I take that back, it is true, but that's not what is discussed here.
>>
>>29520414
>Do you like your scope turrets to adjust point of aim or point of impact?
>scope turrets
>adjust point of impact

Are you demented?
>>
This whole thread is fuck

I'm gonna adjust the POI so my gun fucking brains me when I fire
>>
File: laughingnigger.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
laughingnigger.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>29521321
>>
>>29520414
Point of impact always. Or else you would not see where youre aiming at
>>
>>29520629
>>29521054
>>29521065

In all my years browsing /k/ I haven't come across a single poster who used the word "noguns" who wouldn't be significantly more beneficial to the quality of the board after being gassed.
>>
File: rnoSCIz.gif (2 MB, 390x283) Image search: [Google]
rnoSCIz.gif
2 MB, 390x283
>>29521245
There is no such distinction. It's like saying a rear wheel drive car is adjusting the destination position instead of your vehicle's position. It's total blather.
>>
>>29521390
In all my years browsing /w/ I haven't come across a single you who owned any guns.
>>
>>29520414
Downvote :(
>>
>>29521293
Oh Pee just thinks whether the laser engraving moves the reticle towards or away from the POI means that it adjusts POI

He's just stupid
>>
>>29521392
It's more like saying a RWD car is more likely to take left turns better than rights
>>
>>29521392
>There is no such distinction.
Wrong. A huge majority of scopes need to be adjusted "Left" when you're shooting to the right of the target, but some require to be adjusted "Right".

Your analogy is wrong, but I'll fix it for you. Imagine some car manufacturers, for some idiotic reason, decided that in order to turn left, you had to turn your steering wheel clockwise. While that is retarded, it would exist, and therefore, manufacturers would have to specify in the manual or label on the wheel what turning "counterclockiwse" means.
Similarly, scope manufacturers have to specify if adjusting the scope "left" will move the reticule towards the left, or the point of impact (relative to the reticule, it is an APPARENT translation of the POI) towards the left.

Again, a huge majority of scopes adjust in the same way, however, if it was 50/50, you'd have no idea what adjusting a scope "Left" would mean if it weren't labeled.
>>
File: 1450286182986.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1450286182986.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>
>>29521555
you are right anon, but the direction the cap says has no bearing on if it's POI vs POA
It's ALWAYS POA
>>
I have literally had this argument with people, where some refer to it as POA and some as POI. The terms are interchangeable and people are retarded.

That said, in typical gunology 101, the idea is your scope crosshair is static. Many of the high end scopes, when you adjust the turret in a manner that is marked as "up", is actually moving the reticle downwards. The logic is you are moving the POI upwards, so where your bullet Impacts shifts until it meets the reticle. In this case, POA is static and you are adjusting the POI. This is literally not what happens but it's how scopes are zeroed.

I've only found cheap chinashit to have their turrets marked to refer to the POA being adjusted. So if your scope is adjusting POA, sell that shit or throw it in the trash.
>>
>>29521758
That's fucking retarded. You're adjusting where you're aiming. I blame fuds for this one because they always seem to come up with retarded terminologies, such as referring to deer antlers as horns.
>>
>>29521245
consider suicide
>>
>>29521822
>That's fucking retarded. You're adjusting where you're aiming.

Yes, 100% I know it's dumb, but it's how it is my man. That is why when you adjust your turret with the L direction it's actually moving the crosshair to the right, and vice versa. It's dumb and I don't know who the fuck came up with it, but it's how it is. My Bushnells and my Trijicons all operate under the same principal. There is no escape.

Don't get me wrong I think the non-fudd terminology goes to equally autistic levels, cause everyone here flips the fuck out if a casual calls a mag a "clip" - even though a reasonable person understands a magazine does literally clip into a gun so the misunderstanding is 100% understandable, but it's how it goes.
>>
>>29521758
>POA and some as POI. The terms are interchangeable and people are retarded.

No they're not
If you aim on target and your bullet hits 2 inches low, the one was point of aim and the other was point of impact
>>
>>29521758
I forget if my POSP is marked like that or not
Either way it's cyrilic so I can't read it anyway
>>
>>29521893
And guess what, when you go to zero your scope, you will be adjusting your scope turret "UP" even though you are already aiming 2 inches high, because you will be shifting your point up impact up by those two inches. Even though what you are literally doing is adjusting your reticle down to match where your bullet is impacting (since adjusting a scope doesn't adjust where a bullet hits), in actual like gun methodology you are considering the reticle stationary, and the POI to be what is shifting.

This is why people get the shitty terms confused, and as I said, people are retarded.

Read the fucking post next time so you don't pick out the first thing you think is off to try and educate me on something I already explained
>>
>>29521915
>And guess what, when you go to zero your scope, you will be adjusting your scope turret "UP" even though you are already aiming 2 inches high, because you will be shifting your point up impact up by those two inches

no you're adjusting your POA, because your scope is now aiming at a different position

A viced firearm will always have the same POI, you are adjusting your POA
>>
>>29521939
Do you even read?

Why are you adjusting "Up" when you are moving the reticle down, and "Left" when you are moving it right.
>>
>>29521975
>Why are you adjusting "Up" when you are moving the reticle down, and "Left" when you are moving it right.

>literally the difference in the laser engraving on the cap
>>
>>29521979
>literally every scope ever is engraved wrong like some sort of factory error
>the terminology and zeroing methology that has been used for decades is wrong
>even though the guy has stated multiple times point of impact isn't shifting I'm disagreeing with him but arguing his point
>I'm right because reasons

Try again
>>
>>29522003
no matter what you think is happening, when you adjust a scope, you're adjusting where the scope is aiming
that is POA

Stop being autistic
>>
>>29520629
>>29520702
>>29521065
samefag cut your dick off
>>
>>29522031
You literally aren't reading what is being said, and you are arguing against me while arguing my point

You are the one with autism.

Thanks for trying and please kill yourself on the way out
>>
File: tldr.gif (976 KB, 252x198) Image search: [Google]
tldr.gif
976 KB, 252x198
>>29522067
>You literally aren't reading what is being said

You're right I'm not
It's POA, not POI
>>
>>29522081
Yep, exactly. You are adjusting your POA, but methodology refers to you adjusting the POI and every scope ever is marked as such.

Let me know once you've killed yourself I'll be waiting
>>
File: tl;dr.gif (2 MB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
tl;dr.gif
2 MB, 352x240
>>29522086
>You are adjusting your POA,

Hot damn you're finally seeing the light and agreeing with me
>>
>>29522095
>agreeing with me

>>29521758
>is actually moving the reticle

Shit nigga you been agreeing with me this whole time
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>29522095
>>29522081
>being proud of making yourself look like a retard
>>
Everyone in this thread is fucking retarded.......
>>
>>29522104
>>29522114
>samefagging
>not realizing any adjustment to the optic is a POA shift

Retards ITT
>>
>>29522130
>shoots group
>shots land right of aim
>"well I need to adjust my scope right so it hits the target"
>turns turret right a few clicks
>shoots group
>shots land even further right of aim
>repeat above steps until shots are no longer on the paper
>"WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING"
>>
keep spinning the knob til the bullet lands in your face
>>
And this kids is why you mechanically zero your scopes. While zeroing you would find out what your scope's turrets do when changing their position. Also, you wouldn't waste boxes of ammo and look like a dumbass at the range.
>>
>>29522528
This.

This fucking thread is the worst one in /k/ this year. OP should kill themselves. What a fucking moron. Holy shit.
>>
wtf going on in here? Sure OP may not have spelled it out perfectly for y'all but I knew exactly what he meant when he asked his question. Didn't know /k/ was so into semantics and can't realize what his question meant just because they shoot all the time and realize wtf he means without giving him shit. Now I don't mean literally every person who responded but a good majority are just trying to act like they are soooo smart and his wording was so awful they had no idea what he meant. That literally means you have never shot scoped guns before if you couldn't get what he was saying from his initial question.
>>
>>29522584

As someone that /k/ sincerely hates, I take this as a complement because I'm not OP :)
>>
File: 1459782826700.webm (1 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1459782826700.webm
1 MB, 480x480
>>29520414
This fucking thread

There's a reason misnomers exist. They are fucking useful. If it's easier to pretend you are moving your impact to your POA, instead of moving your POA to your impact, we are going to do it.

I think it's because when zeroing your rifle, your POA is always going to be center of the target, but the POI won't be. "Adjusting POI" is more comfortable to the brain because we are adjusting to a static point, the center of the target. Whereas "adjusting POA" adjusts towards the impact, which could be anywhere.

Unless you can think of something shorter than "adjusting POA relative to POI" that's more correct than "adjusting POI", we're just going to call it adjusting POI.
>>
>>29524060
Hell, even the semantic argument is retarded because both POI and POA are relative to the fixed target. You generally don't zero a rifle with a fixed POI, and you certainly don't shoot a rifle with a fixed POI unless you're grouping a railgun or something equally esoteric and impractical.
>>
File: 1236554114513.jpg (136 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1236554114513.jpg
136 KB, 500x375
Why was this concept so hard for /k/ to understand? Is the user base actually handicapped in some way? I don't want to be insensitive but my gosh, for such a simple concept there was an awful lot of autism-like tantrum thrown around.

Most people who have used multiple scopes have run into this at one point or another. It seems to me that the people arguing that the scope can never adjust point of impact just haven't owned many/any guns? I don't think it's just semantics or pedantry.
>>
>>29524060
Adjusting TO the point of impact =/= adjusting THE point of impact.
>>
>>29525801
>It seems to me that the people arguing that the scope can never adjust point of impact just haven't owned many/any guns?

No, they just aren't mentally retarded and have enough mental capacity to be able to grasp the concept that no matter what happens inside of an optic, it will never affect the rifle's POI.
Protip: if you reverse a POA shift, it's - wait for it - a reverse POA shift, not a POI shift. If you can't wrap your head around this, you should consider suicide.
>>
>>29525801
Because when given the choice of
>OP is genuine literal autistic
>OP is retarded
people will assume the latter. It's OK, just accept your autism.
>>
>>29525899
Zero people are arguing the scope is actually adjusting the POI on the gun. What you are doing is literally strawmanning and the only one looking retarded is you.
>>
>>29525899
Nobody has said, implied or argued that the physical point of impact of the gun is changing. The scope can't affect the barrel of the gun, nobody with any amount of brain damage could possibly think such a thing. And indeed no one does.

The whole thread has been people saying 'yes you can' or 'no you cannot' adjust the scope to alter relative point of impact. No one ever said that turning the turret of a scope physically bends the barrel of the gun.

You're still doing what half the thread is doing. Being an autistic pedant. You're also using junior-high school colloquialism like "protip" and "wait for it," so I'm more inclined to believe you're just underage v& than actually high up on the autistic spectrum. I think the best course of action for you is to just close the thread and return to nugget-hugging.
>>
File: tumblr_m9t0cdRzG91qbfr2w.jpg (32 KB, 425x396) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9t0cdRzG91qbfr2w.jpg
32 KB, 425x396
>>29525899
>using the term "reverse POA"
>trying to sound knowledgable on the subject
>>
>>29521000
Omg you are fucking retarded. A change in point of aim will change your point of impact.
If your round hits low adjust the poa.
If it hits high, adjust down. The reticle will move up or down, left or righr depending on turrets. Just remember your zero so you can reset after you change your dope
>>
>>29527178
>If it hits high, adjust down
Herein lies the problem.
Some scopes will have to be adjusted "down", others will have to be adjusted "up" for the same adjustment.
>>
File: 1452894110480.png (396 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1452894110480.png
396 KB, 540x540
This was an impressive bait thread
>>
>>29520856
>relative to the point of impact.
fuck where do I get a scope that has a computer and a camera in it so it can see the fucking point of impact in order to adjust relative to it?
oh wait, your just a moron.
>>
File: fag.jpg (22 KB, 400x371) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
22 KB, 400x371
>>29520414
>Shoot a group
>Make adjustment
>Group went opposite direction desired
>Maybe if I just keep doing it, it'll work
At what point did you realize you were fucking up OP? Why are you such a throbbing prolapsed anus?

You should have realized after the first adjustment that you're going backwards.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.