[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it illegal in all states to even possess a sawed-off shotgun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: sawedoff.jpg (176 KB, 1616x1080) Image search: [Google]
sawedoff.jpg
176 KB, 1616x1080
Is it illegal in all states to even possess a sawed-off shotgun? And if so, why? I think I'd rather have this than a pistol. Short range obviously, but the spread and sheer force makes it seem practical for defense. If you can't get it done with that, then you were probably dead anyway. I'm not really a handgun fan, but whatever. I want a carry piece.
>>
>>29519786
it and a pistol serve two different functions
>>
>>29519786
Tax stamp should be all that's required for the good states. Not sure about the shitty ones. I live in Missouri.

Not that I would suggest carrying a SBS for defense.
>>
>>29519786

as mush as I love SBS's I'll be the first to admit that they are shitty for everything but being a fun range toy and opening doors.
>>
>>29519800
Why? They have about the same range with a sawed off barrel, only it's harder to miss with a shotgun. I can't seem to hit shit with a pistol.
>>
File: 1348096267680.png (135 KB, 315x310) Image search: [Google]
1348096267680.png
135 KB, 315x310
>>29519838
>only it's harder to miss with a shotgun
>>
>>29519917
I never miss with a shotgun. I can't hit anything beyond about 15 yards with a pistol.
>>
>>29519917
A load of 4 buck out of an 8" barrel cylinder bore/no choke is going to impact, even at 7 yards, with a larger diameter pattern than a .357-.45 caliber bullet
>>
>>29519838
>same range as a pistol
>>
Guys, all I can say is I have a greater proficiency with shotguns, which is why I want to have one with me at all times. I took naturally to them, and I'm not bad with a rifle, but I'm just awkward with a pistol. So what's the skinny on having a sawed off? Can I do it some way, is it practical, or will it just get me into trouble?
>>
>>29520056

>will it get me into trouble
not if you go through the right legal channels and live in a free state
>is it practical
not in the least

it is severely lacking in capacity and the high recoil will make accurate follow up shots hard as balls, not to mention that depending on the barrel length it is cut down to it may suffer a severe loss in muzzle velocity.
>>
>>29520056
Alright, buy a shotgun of choice, fill out a form one with all the info, length and all, and when they approve the sbs, you can saw it off. 200 tax stamp
>>
>>29520056
the long answer is become proficient with handguns, it really is that simple

the short answer is fuck you retard
>>
>>29519786
OP, just buy a Taurus Judge and be done with it.
>>
>>29520263
The short answer is uncalled for. I didn't say handguns blow or something, and you're obviously a fan, but they're just not the type of firearm that I work best with. I'll probably spend more time out of the range practicing with them, but is it so wrong to prefer a shotgun for self-defense?
>>
>>29520317
A revolver chambered for .410 bore. That's interesting. I hear people badmouth Taurus a lot, but what has been your experience with them?
>>
>>29519786
You're going to have a hell of a time trying to conceal a shotgun.

However the Serbu Super Shorty is manufactured without a shoulder stock, meaning it is considered a smooth bore handgun and an AOW rather than an SBS. You should be able to avoid needing to jump through hoops with the ATF with one of those.
>>
>>29520584
That's perfect. Just what I was looking for, and without all the hassle. Thanks, anon.
>>
Have fun using an NFA to defend yourself lol
>>
File: super shorty_.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
super shorty_.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
>>29520584
>AOW
>Tax exempt

nope, still a 5$ tax and still a form 4

>>29520602
and btw this is pretty close to the last thing id grab if i ever heard a bump in the night.
>>
>>29520532
S&W makes a clone called the Governor without the questionable quality

and the right .410 shell out of those has surprisingly amazing ballistics
>>
>>29520624
True, there are likely better choices for the home, but I might just be able to conceal the Serbu and carry it with me. We'll see, but I'd like to own one at any rate. Just out of curiosity, what's your main standby for defense? The first thing you'd reach for in the case of an intruder?
>>
>>29520677
The reason I ask is because there was an attempted break-in recently. Someone had tried to force the door open, and I want to be ready in case they try it again.
>>
its always easier to hit shit with a long gun than a pistol just saying that said spread has nothing to do with the ease of use and at the range you would be using an SBS for pistols more than likely more useful that said Id rock and SBS SXS for HD in heart beat
>>
>>29520677
I use my CCW which is on me all the time (Beretta Model 85) and if I cant naturalize the threat with that I will fall back down the hallway to my room where I can simply cover the hall way with my KSG 12 and 15 00 Buck shells seriously 90% of problems out side of combat that need a firearm can be solved via a good shotgun and subcompact pistol
>>
>>29520677
>The first thing you'd reach for in the case of an intrude
IDK, anything with a fucking stock. one of my other shotguns or my 9mm sbr. hell, i'd be better off with one of my ppq's then the super shorty. you cant hit shit with those, they're really fun range toys and thats it. at least shoot one before you start with the 'my life depends on it' shit.
>>
>>29519786
Might be a dumb question but do they sell oxu or sxs shotguns that are legal to own without a tax stamp? Like those pistol grip only mossbergs that you can buy at 21..
>>
mares leg in 44 magnum (or if you're insane, a custom one in 500 magnum) would be better.
more accurate, higher capacity, can do the terminator flip, much more comfortable.
>>
>>29519786
>Is it illegal in all states to even possess a sawed-off shotgun?
It's legal in Canada, honestly.
>>
using an sbs for self defense will cause all sorts of problems for you.

Either pack a full sized shotgun or pack a pistol.
>>
File: PTSD Dog.gif (3 MB, 256x195) Image search: [Google]
PTSD Dog.gif
3 MB, 256x195
>>29520799
>>
>>29520794
ya, virtually all sxs and o/u are legal to own at 18 with out a stamp. just make sure the barrel is over 18 inches and 26 inches overall
>>
>>29520838
I mean if he's stuck on something impractical, that's the least retarded option.
>>
>>29520860
I'm not closed-minded about it. I'm mainly concerned about having the firearm I'll be the most comfortable with. For home defense, I'll stick with my Benelli Nova for now, but I want to have options for carry.
>>
File: Salute.gif (473 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Salute.gif
473 KB, 500x281
>>29520860
Fair enough. If he's going to be retarded he might as well be the best dressed kid on the short bus. I got it now.
>>
>>29520920
Did you even read my last post? I'm outta here.
>>
File: 1911vDeagle.jpg (254 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1911vDeagle.jpg
254 KB, 1280x853
>>29520910
fuck, you want power and carry?
CC a deagle in .50AE
much better than a super shorty but with enough autism to be /k/ approved.
it's not too much bigger than a 1911, so CC'ing is possible.
pic related.
>>
>>29520799
>custom mares leg in 500 Magnum
Down boner, we're at work
>>
>>29520474
Look OP

Do your research. Shotguns don't spread like in the movies and videogames, and no matter how small the SBS gets it will still be massive and unconcealable.

Learn why you aren't aiming well with handguns and just keep practicing with them. I'm sure in time you'll like pistols and/or revolvers too, seeing as you already like rifles and shotguns.

Btw my first gun was a shotgun, and yes they're really heavy and can get tiring carrying for long periods of time.
>>
>>29521035
You can conceal a SXS very easily in a coat or jacket.
>>
>>29522329
>easily

Movies sure are fun.
>>
>>29520317

>Taurus

No.

Smith & wesson governor
>>
>>29521028

I know they make lever actions in 500 but fuck me, if they make one in a mare's leg im ordering one asap.
>>
>>29520799
Git and stay git, kid.
>>
File: dogs.webm (1 MB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
dogs.webm
1 MB, 300x268
>>29522490
Just for you, big guy.
>>
>>29521035
>>29522490
This is wrong, if you know what you're doing you can conceal an AR 15 under a coat that doesn't even go half way down your ass. Maybe you're a manlet or something? I don't know.
>>
File: tfw full auto.png (347 KB, 858x430) Image search: [Google]
tfw full auto.png
347 KB, 858x430
>>29520609
It's bin dun befo: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=198964

>fuck you and your automatic rifle
>mfw
>>
>>29520751
>via a good shotgun
>KSG 12
>>
>>29522663
Well, yeah. The guy got absolutely assraped by the legal system.
>>
Just my two cents:
SBS for home defense is good enough for most situations, but in the one in a million fire fight scenario you're fucked. My practical concern for using any shot gun near my stuff and my family are the big reason I wouldn't want to reach for a shot gun first. I've seen first hand what bird shot and #4 steel shot do to people and I have no doubt it would stop an intruder. . . And my tv, microwave, pet parrot, those stupid doll things my wife loves. I'd rather use a pistol with expanding ammunition and save a shotgun for out door use.
>>
>>29522770
Shotguns don't spread as much as you seem to think they do.
>>
File: serbu_super_shorties.jpg (195 KB, 1200x697) Image search: [Google]
serbu_super_shorties.jpg
195 KB, 1200x697
>>29519786
The trick is to buy one that was MADE short. Pic related. Vid related. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_pXTItRtkc
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.