[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that SEALs writing books has gotten so bad a curren
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: zerodarkthirty-seals.jpg (167 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
zerodarkthirty-seals.jpg
167 KB, 1400x933
Reminder that SEALs writing books has gotten so bad a current SEAL wrote a grad paper on it:

http://calhoun.nps.edu/bitstream/handle/10945/47927/15Dec_Crowell_Forrest.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/us/navy-seals-split-over-members-benefiting-from-hard-earned-brand.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
>>
>>29519509

my opinion is that if you are a SEAL and you write a book about being a SEAL, you should be thrown in prison and then raped until you are dead

no exceptions
>>
File: my feet hurt.png (249 KB, 373x374) Image search: [Google]
my feet hurt.png
249 KB, 373x374
>>29519509
>>
indeed the attention whoring is getting really annoying. what the hell is up with SEALs doing this shit? You rarely get it from real pros like the deltas
>>
>>29519571
>real pros like the deltas

this thread is just chock full of quality bait, and we're only three replies in. nicely done, gentlemen.
>>
File: 1459885540456.jpg (60 KB, 680x649) Image search: [Google]
1459885540456.jpg
60 KB, 680x649
>>
>>29519524
I encountered SEALs during BAC and LRS training. They were annoying blow-hards during jump school who could dish it out then whine like bitches when it was given back to them. They were well versed on waterborne ops and reconnaissance. They taught my LRSU well. They were still braggarts. I don't like them. Give me SF scuba.

Walk into a group of military personal and stand there for 30 seconds. If one of them is a SEAL you will know it by then.
>>
File: operator.jpg (15 KB, 204x255) Image search: [Google]
operator.jpg
15 KB, 204x255
>>29519637
>>
I honestly don't see the big deal.

US presidents write books all the time, and they know all the really big secrets and their the Commander in Chief of the entire US armed forces, including the SEALS. No one bats an eye.
>>
File: 3100.jpg (39 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
3100.jpg
39 KB, 960x540
>>
>>29523506
Usually they don't write their book until after their presidency.

SEALS are writing books while still on active duty AND still fighting the same conflict. But its not just the seals. If you want a good laugh read "The Reaper" Irving is the definition of an ass.
>>
>>29519571
-spent 4-20 years shooting guns, operating, swimming, etc.
-get out
-suddenly your operator status isn't worth shit on the civilian job market
-"hurr durr I'wuz seal" doesn't give you 20 years of real work experince on on your cv
-you either meet someone or read online about how other guys write bocks and make mad dosh
-you think to yourself, "hey, I operated pretty hard, I'm a funny guy, I read about two books per year, I can write a hit bestseller about shooting arabs and stuff too"
-so then you basically give all your aar to a ghost writer to turn it into a somewhat competent book
>>
>>29524725
>-suddenly your operator status isn't worth shit on the civilian job market

but this is completely false.

there are loads of high-paying jobs for someone who is physically fit, can shoot a gun, knows a lot about defense/security matters, and has a high degree of self-discipline and initiative.
>>
>>29524784
>someone who is physically fit, can shoot a gun, knows a lot about defense/security matters, and has a high degree of self-discipline and initiative.

Even just one of those things is enough to get you a decent income.
>>
File: average marijuana injector.jpg (49 KB, 410x388) Image search: [Google]
average marijuana injector.jpg
49 KB, 410x388
>>29524725
>420
>>
>>29519571
>indeed the attention whoring is getting really annoying.
Just like here on /k/.
We used to rape attention whores now they have fan clubs. In a little while, when /k/ is nothing more than a place for merchants to come and developer viewership numbers remember that you did nothing to stop it.
>>
File: jesse-ventura[1].jpg_d=600.jpg (47 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
jesse-ventura[1].jpg_d=600.jpg
47 KB, 450x600
>>29522812
>>
>>29524725
>suddenly your operator status isn't worth shit on the civilian job market

Yes and no senpai.

Contractor or security? You've got the skillsets and clearance.

Firearms or martial arts spokesman? Shit, you don't need my own anecdotal experience with that bag of worms. Just look at Vickers. Man's done pretty well for himself on most accounts.

That said, you're right about corporate/writing/lecture circuit side of things. People lap that shit up. Not even just books or talk shows. Chris Ryan wrote and advised the original series of Strike Back. Half the constant spew of 'Murican Hero films like Lone Survivor or American Sniper need advisors and trainers. Hell, the clusterfuck of a movie that was Act of Valor had SEALs playing themselves. Businesses and think-tanks hire you for "leadership modules" and corporate teamwork exercises. There's a lot to be said for the private side of things.
>>
>>29523671
>If you want a good laugh read "The Reaper" Irving is the definition of an ass.
Can you share a few examples? Always seemed like an OK dude, now I am curious.
>>
>>29524784
Somewhat this. It requires a contact on the inside or a really remarkable resume, which should be no problem for ex SF. Although outside of the security industry and PMCs, it's hard to find shit. Poltical Risk Analysis is a HUGE growth sector, as is private business intelligence.
>>
>>29527547
Its laughably written, and obvious portions are made up. You can read the amazon reviews where people are torn between thanking him for his service and calling bullshit. I read his original copy before the publisher tried to make a coherent book out of it. We joke with one of our snipers from B 3/75 about them being "best friends" (they hate each other), and we can't believe that he knew the deadliest sniper in Regiment history, why didn't he invite him to his birthday party etc...
>>
>>29523405
but he was in the air seals...
>>
>>29527721
>deadliest sniper in Regiment history
Let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back, sport.

You criticize then exaggerate. You've weakened your stance.
>>
>>29527803
>You've weakened your stance.

Dude.... just try reading the book.
>>
>>29527156
He was UDT, and I don't give a fuck if he went to BUDS too. The little shit never saw combat.
>>
>>29527887
>never saw combat.
Just like Col. Grossman who wrote books about killing people in combat. Col Grossman wouldn't know the first thing about combat, would he?
>>
>>29527721
>Its laughably written, and obvious portions are made up.
I feel like this applies to a lot of the SOF and military authored books that I've read. Chris Kyle rings a serious bell here. I think it's probably just part of the people of SOF units character and personality make up, they talk big a lot of times and sometimes fish tales grow out of them.

I've met and briefly talked to a few different SEALs, including one who owns a restaurant/bar in my town, I also briefly had a roommate who was in 75th, and I got to talk to some Army SF guys when I did my GORUCK. They were all mostly pretty cool dudes, but they all had one thing in common: alpha male/bro/machismo personality traits. They definitely were full of hot air (and themselves) from time to time depending on the subject.

I think /k/ might be heartbroken to realize that a lot of these guys are less like some strong silent type video game character they're used to and more like the dude who picked on them in highschool. SEALs maybe being the biggest offenders for them.
>>
>>29522812
I got some cool guy schooling in the Army, but can confirm this opinion. Competent when operating within their capabilities, but incessant try hard hard cases. There's always the exception, but their modern mentality breeds and encourages cockiness.
>>
>>29527940
So you're telling me that Chris "I shot a two dudes at a gas station and all i had to deal with was a pat on the back from the cop" Kyle was dishonest? That Chris "I actually fucking lost a defamation suit after lying about Jessie venture" Kyle lied? I don't think that Chris "I was hired to shoot looters after Katrina from the roof of the Super Dome" Kyle would do such a thing.
>>
Why don't Green Berets ever talk shit?
>>
>>29523405
best reply
>>
File: 1459646538056.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
1459646538056.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>29529944
>>
>>29530160
If you're sitting at the top of the heap, everyone knows you're there. No need to utter a word.
>>
>>29530160
Head on over to the professionalsoldiers.com forum.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.