[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosmoline removal! I recently got a Mosin and its coated with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Mosin-Nagant.jpg (141 KB, 900x400) Image search: [Google]
Mosin-Nagant.jpg
141 KB, 900x400
Cosmoline removal!

I recently got a Mosin and its coated with cosmoline. How do I remove this shit! Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>29516574
bump
>>
boil in vodka
>>
The way I always did it was to take it completely apart. Dissemble the bolt and soak it in hot water and dish soap. For the barrel and action, I'd brew up hot water in the coffee pot and pour it all over inside and out. I'd do this several times. I'd spend a couple of hours doing it loving every minute.

Never found a good way to get it out of the stock beside wiping it down with a de-greaser.
>>
Put it in the dishwasher on high heat, It removes the cosmoline nicely and easily. Add some simple green and it's good to go.
>>
Lick it off
>>
>>29516847
I heard simple green is pretty effective
>>
>>29516847
What kinda dishwasher can you fit a mosin in? (I don't have a dishwasher, but seems like a tight fit, thatswhatshesaid)
I always turned the oven on 350, opened the door, rested the rifle on said door, wait ten minutes, wipe, change positions, and repeat. For metal parts, disassemble and boil as stated above.
>>
boiling water and dawn dish soap
>>
>>29516574
boil in vodka. Add noodles. poptarts, chicken tendies and potatos
>>
>>29516574
hair dryer/heat gun and blue shop towels. Any other way is inferior
>>
Kerosene.
>>
Why dont you google it faggot
>>
OP, if you are female, I find that touching my cooch before I work with the cosmoline is sufficient to get a gun clean
>>
Brake cleaner will take that shit off
>>
>>29516574
1. Wipe off as much as possible
2. Take gun apart and wipe off more
3. Take all metal pieces apart down to the last bolt
4. Boil all metal parts, for longer pieces you may have to pour boiling water onto them several times
5. Clean inside of barrel with normal barrel cleaner and wipes with the barrel rod
6. use hot dish soap to clean of as much cosmoline from the wooden parts as possible.
7. reassemble all parts back together
8. Take the gun out shooting for an hour giving it little rest to cool off, you need the metal parts to heat up.
9. they will heat up the wooden parts and the cosmoline that seeped into the wood over the decades will start to "sweat" out. Wipe off as needed.
10. reclean all parts with normal gun cleaner.
>>
>>29518206
this works but its very time consuming.
I went to Walmart and bought a giant tub that was meant to store shit under your bed that was long enough to hold the barrel and a gallon jug of simple green cleaner.
Strip the mosin down as far as you can, If there is a screw you can remove do it. they arnt joking when they said the mosin was dunked in cosmoline.
Place all the metal parts in the bin and boil enough water to have all the parts submerged then add enough simple green to the water to give the water a green tint.
Let the parts soak in the boiling water for a bit till it gets to the point where you can put your hands in the water "I let my stock sit over the tub so the steam could work abit of the cosmoline out at the same time and used a little mineral spirits to clean up the rest"
grab a brush and start going over each part thoroughly getting the remaining surface cosmoline off and then setting them back into the bath and going onto the next part.
after going over each item and scrubbing them as much as you could, set them out on a towel and wipe them off use ear cleaners to get into the small nooks and crannys where a towel cant.
at this point all of the cosmoline should be off the metal but I went a bit more ocd and let the smaller parts soak in hoppes 9 while i took carburetor cleaner and sprayed the chamber with it and used a power drill and a 20 gauge brush to clean out the cosmoline on the inside to help reduce sticky bolt syndrome
>>
>>29516574
just cleaned an sks i picked up last week . talked to an old marine and he said use diesel less than $2 a gallon and worked like a charm .
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 500x375
Mineral spirits for all the metalbabies. Heat gun for the stock.
>>
>>29520234
Dont uninstall the recoil lug. It'll crack the stock befor it lets go.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.