[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You don't seriously still shoot brass cased ammunition,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: 20131222_230431_zps6d834c3b.jpg (54 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
20131222_230431_zps6d834c3b.jpg
54 KB, 768x1024
You don't seriously still shoot brass cased ammunition, do you? Polymer cases are the future.
>>
brass get the ass
>>
>>29511003
Brass is more conducive to accuracy. However, if/when polymer cases become an actual thing, they won't look like that. They'll like like a rimless .410 shell.
>>
>>29511016
Nah, they're going to start using polymer cases in conventional shapes in order to cut weight until the LSAT stuff gets formally adopted.
>>
>>29511193
And those consistently suck ass.
>>
How many times can you reload polymer cases?
>>
>>29511204
Depends on how much is actually made of plastic.
>>
File: spacemagic.webm (3 MB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
spacemagic.webm
3 MB, 720x540
caseless will become a thing faster than polymer casing

it's just a better system, the only reason IT isn't a thing is because it developed slower than brass case rifles and nobody wanted to spend the money going backwards to develop and roll it out
>>
>>29511003
>Do I use cheap, high available ammo that is reloadable that I already have enough of to last years?

yes
>>
>>29511213
Caseless has too many problems, especially since it dumps more heat into the chamber than cased ammo.
>>
>>29511003
Lel. We're gonna run outta oil so all this polymer shit won't even be a thing.
>>
>>29511003
Are they cheaper? Can I reload them?
>>
Polymer cased ammo offers some interesting potential for wildcatting, or specifically, replicating experimental cartridges that weren't based on other cases (.280 Brit, 7x41 Marszyt, .276 Pedersen).
>>
>>29511281
Niggas going back to steel and walnut.
>>
Am I the only one seeing the ungodly level of deformed that is the polymer cases neck ?
>>
>>29511245
they said the thermal sensitivity problem could never be solved too

look maybe I tell a lie saying caseless would come first, the propellant may well not be economical to produce

but we have just been lazy in our engineering, because the money has always been in the next seller, not the next branch of science.

capitalism is always the cause, like petrol cars rolled over LNG and electric

I'm afraid the discovery has already been made, but nobody would front the money to build the factories
>>
>>29511003
Wonder why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjNkbxHkEE
>>
>>29511319
Except LNG is shitty as a fuel source for cars and a pretty big safety hazard.
>>
>>29511281
Read Deep Hot Biosphere and see why peak oil is a giant meme to keep us hyped for "buy now before its gone" oil. We will not run out of oil as it is produced regularly in the flatulent bowels of the earth.
>>
>>29511213
>>29511319
Fuck off.
>>
>>29512366
found the brasshawk
>>
>>29512328
nice fringe theory

tell us about why we should buy gold next
>>
>>29511319
Firearms can be designed with cooling surfaces in order to more quickly expel heat. Our current firearms are designed with brass in mind, so they overheat when firing large volumes of poly.

I think poly is worth it. Even if oil prices make polymer expensive, plant based plastics can be used. Less cost, less weight, and if using telescoped cartridges then less volume as well.
>>
>>29512553
Isn't the theory he's talking about what russian oil companies use to find oil? I believe we are capable of overharvesting oil, but to say it's not a renewable resource is silly. How did it get here? A wizard did it? There's pretty solid evidence that microorganisms convert dead organic material into stuff that we can use as fuel. To suggest that nobody is manipulating fuel prices is absurd. Why does OPEC exist? Why do regions rich in oil suddenly get filled with religious armies and "non governmental organizations"?

And you're suggesting that gold is a bad idea? Chinese millionaires are buying tons of gold and silver every day in my city. Some of my family work in finance and they tell me to keep about 30% of my wealth in gold in case the dollar goes to shit. There are tons of retards that buy gold unintelligently and are manipulated by financial parasites, but those aren't the kinds of people I see walking into banks and buying briefcases of bullion.
>>
Can I 3d print casings then
>>
>>29511200
Source?
>>
>>29511319
>capitalism is always the cause, like petrol cars rolled over LNG and electric

>I'm retarded and know nothing of economics of scale nor materials science
>>
>>29511319
You're really going to use electric cars as an analogy?
>>
>>29512685
yes but do you know how LONG it takes for that biomatter to break shit down into oil?

hint: a long time

how do you retards not know this? you think the earth produces millions of gallons of oil everyday like a fucking machine? no. It gets slowly deposited until theres alot of it. if we dry up the supply itll be a very very long tume before it regens
>>
>>29515359
time*
>>
>>29512562
Polymer cases actually leave less heat in the chamber after firing. I think it insulates the heat better or something.
>>
>>29511287
What if they are so cheap reloading becomes obsolete?
>>
>>29515359
5 days at most.
>>
>>29511003
Eventually we will be out of brass.
>>
>>29518569
That's not how it works, senpai.
>>
>>29518698
Do you think Mother Earth has an unlimited amount of Brass she can give us? We'll have to mine Brass Asteroids in space to get more Brass, in the Future.
>>
>>29512562
You realize that plastics make up only 2% of all oil use, right? If anything, once alternative power cars pick up, plastics will have a boom until the eventual collapse of the oil industry.
>>
>>29518929

brass is not naturally occuring you kuck
>>
>>29511003
Sorry I love that satisfying tink sound they make when they hit ground to much to care
>>
>>29511016
>if/when polymer cases become an actual thing, they won't look like that.

1) they are a thing

2) they look like that
>>
>>29518929

brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, it is not a naturally occurring substance
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.