[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Zealand lad here. Thinking of getting my firearms license
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: 1459910707590.jpg (138 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1459910707590.jpg
138 KB, 1000x750
New Zealand lad here. Thinking of getting my firearms license soon. What should I get for my first rifle? SKS? Mosin? I'm kind of a poor fag and can't drop much into a gun.
>>
>>29510336
>SKS
They ain't pretty. Most SKS's available are Norinco/Chicom (very few Russians/Com blocs) and quality isn't great. That said it they are cheap to buy ($300-400nzd) and feed.
My SKS is a 16inch "paratrooper" so for A Cat you won't get a sweet as bayonet and the sights were canted...

>Mosin
Well there were a few around about two years ago but I haven't seen too many about for sale lately.

>M14
My first rifle was a Norinco m305 (M14 clone). Fun to shoot but heavy to carry all day up hills...

>Boltgun
DESU if you really want to shoot something get a boltgun. I got a Howa1500 for xmas and threw a gunworks can on it. Something like this is your best bet for actual hunting etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 936x478) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 936x478
I don't know but can you guys get handguns or revolvers with your licenses in your country?
>>
>>29510534
Yes, but the limitations around their use are quite restrictive.

Oh I forgot to mention;
>>29510469

>SAIGA
You can get a new saiga for around $800nzd. I was gonna do this but bought my bolt gun instead. Had to source a good conversion kit fom the USA to do it justice.
>>
>>29510336
SKS is the most versatile, if they're a Norinco, they're still gonna be functional.
If you think the wood is ratty, you can get replacement stocks in better wood or plastic.
>>
>>29510563
The Saiga would by far be the best choice, even if it costs more.
>>
Not op here, but how would compare the M1 Carbine to the SKS ?

Is it the American equivalent ?
>>
>>29510336
Get an ak of some sort, they're cheap at least here in eu, and they work damn well.
>>
>>29510336
How's the state of the military over there?

I have Canadian and NZ citizenship, finishing university soon. Canada's military is getting defense cuts doesn't look too good since Afghanistan ended
>>
>>29511315
Bump
>>
File: 1452235879552.jpg (13 KB, 224x249) Image search: [Google]
1452235879552.jpg
13 KB, 224x249
>firearms license
>>
File: hachismugchi.jpg (160 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
hachismugchi.jpg
160 KB, 1024x576
>>29512987
>tax stamp for suppressor/sbr
>>
>>29511315
M1 Carbine is lighter and better made, but ammo wont be as cheap or common, it also has less range and power (comparable to a really hot .357 load with better feeding, penetration and range), the weapon itself will also be more expensive.
The M1, with it's modest recoil, weight and size, is a very pleasant weapon to handle, if you really want one, they are by no means bad.
>>
>>29511359
It's small but is getting upgrades. The army is getting a new primary weapon and replacing the AUG. The airforce has new Helicopters and I'm not too sure about the navy. They seem to do a ton of drills and simulations too. It's pretty decent. But we have no Attack aircraft...
>>
What are the restrictions for buying rifles like AR's in New Zealand? My understanding is that there's a special class of license for so called "Military Style Semi-Automatics", that allows you to buy rifles like ARs? How do you get one? Are certain rifles banned by name? Is there a magazine capacity restriction on the MSAS rifles? I've also heard that suppressors are easy to get, which seems awesome. Overall NZ seems like a good country for gun owners, are gun freedoms under constant pressure like they are in Canada and the US?
>>
>>29513628
Thanks!
>>
>>29514254
All semi auto's come with restrictions on a standard license.
Mag capacity
Scary features
Nothing is banned explicitly by name iirc.
Think somewhere like Canada (except can get AKs AUGs etc) and New York in terms of laws. That said getting a license is really easy and the laws a far closer to Canada (better in many regards) than New York.

A higher tier license allows USA free state tier features.
This is relatively easy to achieve but the culture here is pretty Fuddish and most people don't have the time or money to invest in MSSAs.

Beats living in ausfailia.
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 624x835) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 624x835
>>29513319
Lesser of two evils senpai.
>>
>>29514811
>Evil
It's not actually that bad. You can own firearms at 16 all you have to do is be mentally fit which isn't difficult. (Don't get me wrong this is not an endorsement).
>>
>>29510469

>restricting bayonets

I never understood this. Has anyone ever been murdered by a bayonet charge outside of war? What is their reason for doing this? The state wanting to empower itself at the expense of it's citizenry? Oh, I guess I just answered my own question...
>>
>>29513628

I'd get an M1 Carbine if I could afford one its my fav pistol-calibre carbine
>>
File: unrestricted_ar_in_NZ.jpg (151 KB, 1272x530) Image search: [Google]
unrestricted_ar_in_NZ.jpg
151 KB, 1272x530
>>29514254
All license's allow you to own unlimited long arms but restricts configurations and there is no registration*.
After Aramoana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramoana_massacre) which was our Port Arthur there was a review which restriced:
Mag Capacity
Flash supressors
Free standing pistol grips
Bayonet lugs

A "C Catagory" allows all these features but you have to register it.

>>29514915
Correct. Same with the whole pistol grip ban. WE have to use thumbhole stocks or hold our AR's like golf clubs because that makes the bullets less dangerous. (sic)

>>29514932
These are Rare.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.