[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Archery General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: d1b2b64adbe45.jpg (84 KB, 570x855) Image search: [Google]
d1b2b64adbe45.jpg
84 KB, 570x855
Hello /k/.
Let's talk archery for noobs.
I'm in the market for a solid, cost-effective (not necessarily cheap. Definitely not cheaply made) recurve or longbow that I can carry with me innawoods.
Do you guys have any recommendations? Good brands? Anything?
I used to shoot arrows in my backyard with a Lil' Sioux when I was a kid. Now I want an adult bow.
>inb4 just gun
I have plenty of those.
Thanks
>>
I've heard good things about the samick sage. Price isn't too bad and you can replace the limbs for different draw weights.
>>
I have a recurve bow in my room that my Grandpa made before he died. I've never strung it up, and I don't even know what kind of bow string I would use. It's also very awkward to grip, and no matter which way I hold it, in either hand it never seems comfortable.
>>
>>29509555
prepare to have your life changed anon
https://www.youtube.com/user/BackyardBowyer/videos

watch the older videos first
you can make reliable 40-60lb+ bows with this dude's methods, totally legit too

I posted in the other thread, I have a buddy who regularly hunts with a pvc bow and he's scored multiple through and throughs on whitetail
>>
>>29509734
one of his videos shows you how to make a bow using just a campfire
you can also strengthen the bows with fiberglass roadmarker rods for extra draw strength and durability
>>
What starting draw weight would you guys recommend. I'm a shortish, stalky dude and have a pretty strong torso due to my job and gym.
I was thinking maybe 40lbs? I've heard 30 is the traditional starter weight.
>>29509606
Looks pretty sweet. Thanks dude.
>>29509734
>>29509739
Eh, I'll check it out, and thanks. But I earn money and dont mind spending it on something aesthetically pleasing and also professionally made.
>>
>>29509764
Hey, in terms of draw weight archery uses muscles you often don't use doing other stuff, so it's hard to say without giving it a go in terms of buying a bow. I'm buying my first trad bow pretty soon (after having shot compound for a while) and I'm going for 40# on the basis of shooting 60# in a compound and having shot trad bows 25-40# just screwing around.

Another thing to keep in mind is draw length (which you're going to want to get measured for). If you're anything over 28", you're going to be drawing more weight than what the bow is rated, and if you're anything under you'll be drawing less. You saying you're shortish, chances are your draw length will be a little shorter, so say you had a 27" draw length and wanted to shoot 30#, you might buy a 35# bow (that's not an exact example, but you get the idea).

30# is probably a safe bet, but I have seen guys struggle with 20-25# recurves. I guess it comes back to ideally knowing draw length and trying out a few draw weights before you put down the money on a bow.

Any takedown recurve is a decent option if you're starting out and going to grow a fair bit in terms of draw weight. Plenty of brands make them aside from Samick - PSE, Ragim and Martin to name a few. Also Bear Archery - the bows are dead sexy and historic, but the price puts them well outside the beginner bracket. If I was going to buy one, I'd get it when I was sure I loved trad archery and knew that I wasn't going to grow out of the bow.
>>
>>29509555
What's with the woman archer meme?

Historically they are seen as much worse than men because of how much weaker their upper body is
>>
>>29510872
No idea if she's doing it on purpose, but girl in OP's picture looks like she's shooting with the same technique as Ishi, the "last wild indian".
>>
>>29510872
>wahhhhhh there's a sexy woman doing a sexy thing
>this offends me!!!!

Faggot detected.
>>
>>29510900
No I'm just saying, in games and movies they give women bows like its the logical choice but they aren't as good at archery as men, I wonder where the meme started, was it the game of hunger stuff or did it exist before that?
>>
>>29509555

I started off using a Bear titan as an adult, about 30 lb draw if I remember right.

Keep it light at first, because if you buy something too heavy, you won't be able to use it.

Lifting weights, particularly working your laterals helps big time.

Don't make a fucking bow for your first one, you'll probably disappoint yourself...
>>
>>29510911
That's a Lara Croft cosplay m8.
>>
>>29509555
Holy fuck her stance is all kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>29509555
Make one yourself. You will love it more than a commercial one, with 100 miles of cord, wheels that guide it, angle thing, digital clock or any other bullshit they put on it to charge you 5000 so you can think you are special. And then they forget to tell you how much arrows cost.

Just do research on which wood works best, get some thin springy (1 inch wide) steel plate to add power and go out and kill something.
>>
>>29513167
You do know that even pure wood bows can cost over a grand and be worth it because of the craftsmanship involved, right? And I have yet to see many bows that have anything truly useless attached.

PVC might be fun, but I wouldn't stake my life on them.
>>
>>29510872
That's Lara croft tomb raider you fucking barbarian.
>>
>>29510872
its a libral shift away from guns. archery is seen as more of an acceptable weapon as opposed to firearms.
>hunger games
>disney's brave
>superheros
>>
>>29514731
That's not entirely historically true, though. In Japan all members of the Samurai class were expected to have extensive martial skill, especially in the bow, while men also trained in the sword and women in the naginata (glaive). Just because English war bows required insane draw weights doesn't make it universal.
>>
>>29510911

Just guessing, but I would think if you have upper body strength issues it would be a lot safer standing off and plinking someone with arrows rather than going toe to toe with a blade.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.