[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on the scout rifle concept? Meme rifle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Scout-1-.gif (16 KB, 443x126) Image search: [Google]
Scout-1-.gif
16 KB, 443x126
What are your thoughts on the scout rifle concept? Meme rifle or dream rifle? One man's outdated fantasy, or a lost art?
>>
>>29508903

How is putting the scope further up any better than just putting it where it is supposed to go?
>>
>>29508903

Red dot or just good old irons seems better.
>>
>>29508913
Long eye relief dumbass
>>
>>29508903
An expert rifleman friend of mine (competition winner, etc) bought one and said it was complete shit compared to other firearms available. He said it didn't even measure up to an accurized AR15.
>>
Good for its time, but accessories and features, namely optics, have come a long ways since Cooper came up with his ideal rifle. The kind of guns available to the general public, at low cost, has also shifted dramatically.
>>
>>29508903
Dream rifle. Some of course will say "hur Durr can't du nuthin' MUH DMR can't do better" Scouts are lighter than semis. Inherently more accurate and reliable than semis. And all around more versatile and useful. Modern optics make the long-relief scout scope kinda trite but my Hi-Lux scout scope is comparable in a lot of ways to my Strike Eagle and I LOVE my Strike Eagle

>>29508913
Frees up the action for cycling the bolt faster/more reliably and in case of any type of malfunction. It's really not bad, they were basically just trying to get the versatility of modern AR style optics back-in-the-day before optics tech had advanced sufficiently
>>
>>29508997
Is there any point to it now, or has modern technology pretty much made it all obsolute
>>
>>29509060
If there wasn't a point to them then Ruger, Savage, and Mossberg wouldn't have all recently within the last few years introduced new Scout rifle offerings to compete with the venerable Steyr.

Extremely light, simple to use, flawlessly reliable, capable .308 caliber, and supreme accuracy are pretty timeless and useful qualities even though the optics set up might not be
>>
>>29508903
Mainly a product of Jeff Cooper's time and prejudices.

There are semi-auto rifles out there that are comparable in terms of light weight, accuracy and reliability to Cooper's original concept, with the only major shortcoming left being the price tag.

The modern "concept" rifle that is becoming more widespread is the "recce rifle" that primarily consists of a free-floated AR with a 16" barrel and a decent 1-4 (or these days, 1-6) power variable optic.
The step down in caliber to 5.56/.223 limits the type of targets it can be used against, but with training, it makes 500 meters doable.
>>
File: scout308.png (171 KB, 290x514) Image search: [Google]
scout308.png
171 KB, 290x514
scout rifle is tier 1 of fuddery. not every fudd is prepared to operate like that. a refined taste.
>>
>>29509306
what jacket?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.