[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should I get a karambit or a straight edged knife for utility
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (376 KB, 2500x1665) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
376 KB, 2500x1665
should I get a karambit or a straight edged knife for utility and self defense?

also general knife thread
>>
Have you spent the last year, year and a half, training with a Karambit 2-3 times a week? Or are you a South East Asian Farmer? No to both?

Then don't get one.
>>
File: Belgian Takedown.gif (21 KB, 450x769) Image search: [Google]
Belgian Takedown.gif
21 KB, 450x769
>>29507728
Just get a gun. If you can't get a gun, then a Fairbarin or a stiletto of some sort.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 793x519) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 793x519
>>29507728
Get the fox dart.
It has a wave feature.

Also train dumbass. If you want to use it as one.
>>
>>29507728

The karbit comes from Filipino martial arts. When these were being developed they looked for something everyone had for defense. What these poor rice farmers had was a curved type of knife for harvesting.

THAT IS WHY THE KARAMBIT IS CURVED. It isn't because it is OPERATORGRADEOPERATINGMORELETHALTHANALLTHENUKESINTHEWORLD, it is because poor farmers in the Phillipenes had a type of curved blade.

Every other culture in the world, from the Europeans, to the near Eastern peoples like the Persians or Babylonians, the far eastern Chinese or Japanese, to the people of the Americas used more normally shaped knives. Literally EVERY OTHER CULTURE didn't use knives shaped like karambits.

If you are an expert in Filipino martial arts, maybe consider a karambit, if you are not then get a normal fucking knife you autist.
>>
I ordered a Lightning OTF about a week ago at the recommendation of some anon on here. This thing is pretty badass. Not a bad way to spend $40.
>>
File: tumblr_ne06uzqqLJ1rfnw5zo1_1280.jpg (451 KB, 1200x864) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ne06uzqqLJ1rfnw5zo1_1280.jpg
451 KB, 1200x864
I'm looking to buy some Benchmade knives for cheap through work. Pick three folders and three fixed blades and I'll buy them.

pic related, it's one of the ones I want.
>>
>>29508886
why three of each? just buy one flip and one fixed
>>
File: Sickle1.jpg (424 KB, 4214x2218) Image search: [Google]
Sickle1.jpg
424 KB, 4214x2218
>>29507937
>Literally EVERY OTHER CULTURE didn't use knives shaped like karambits.
Lots of cultures use scythes and hand held sickles though.
>>
>>29509694
but scythes arent in csgo
>>
>>29509669
no particular reason. Name one of their good flippers and I'll get it.
>>
File: oss_southercomfort.jpg (78 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
oss_southercomfort.jpg
78 KB, 640x427
What's the best way to carry this while I'm out running the mountain in the dead of night in pretty much just shorts?
>>
>>29509749
Don't give them ideas.
>>
>>29510152
around your neck or up ur bung
>>
>>29510178
1) But it weighs like a pound. >:

2) but i poop from there
>>
>>29510152
Scout
>>
>>29510209
It's heavy enough to drag down my shorts as I run, though... maybe if I get a pair with drawstrings. Hm.
>>
>>29510230
Wear a belt or a fanny pack that hangs off your hips.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 400x619) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 400x619
>>29510197
Just how dedicated to self defense are ya
>>
>>29510274
admittedly, i suppose if a mugger doesn't fuck off after you shit out a knife and brandish it at him, there's little else you could have conceivably done to avoid a fight
>>
>>29510152
shoulder harness
>>
>>29510532
Serious question, do shoulder harnesses for larger knives actually exist?
>>
>>29507728
If you have experience in south east asian martial arts like muay Thai then a kerambit is fine, it fits well into that style of fighting. But you need a good couple of years of dedicated training before it's worth it. Don't listen to these shits, with proper training this knife is a perfectly good choice. Without that training go for a regular blade though. Also if you do get one, go for a straighter blade, don't get something too curved as it will be less practical.
>>
>>29510550
I see no reason why they couldnt exist. If not, just use some webbing and thread and make one yourself. Shouldnt be to hard, maybe use some broad elastic bands here and there to make it fit snug but not restricting movement?
>>
File: More FIlipino weaps.jpg (46 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
More FIlipino weaps.jpg
46 KB, 450x600
>>29507937
>What these poor rice farmers had was a curved type of knife for harvesting.
The Karambit was developed in Indonesia, and spread throughout Insular Southeast Asia as the Java-based Civilization there was influential.

The average Island Southeast Asian rice farmer of the Indianized/Islamic Austronesian culture present in Philippines/Malaysia/Indonesia at the time prior colonization was also
>A freeman
>Who owned his own weapons.
>And had military duties to his warrior-class superiors and chieftain to fight as a common, part timer warrior.

The cunts literally have a bunch of weapons to go through with the tiny knives at the bottom of the list. Starting with his throwing spears/darts, down to his short sword/axe/club and shield, and finally to his knives.

Also I dont think it was used in a military capacity more like "i was caught ought in the fields and had to defend myself" scenario. Austronesianshits going to war would have a plethora of other weapons suitable for a fight.
>>
>>29510655
*shorter blade, not straighter. Although the curve shouldn't be too extreme
>>
>>29510655
with proper training any knife can be used as a weapon

so going into it, it makes more sense to get a straight blade as you said it is more practical

the only reason to choose to focus on karambit is to keep that specific martial art alive, as an art. if you aren't interested in the traditions of east asian rice farmers then get a knife that's useful

if you are interested in that sort of thing and don't plan on doing any cooking, skinning, etc with it, fine go for a karambit
>>
File: DSC08520.jpg~original.jpg (304 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
DSC08520.jpg~original.jpg
304 KB, 900x675
Something like this if you really need it and / if you legally can
>>
>>29510550
Get a shoulder holster for a gun and remove the holster. Bam, tactical bra for your knife.
>>
File: 141.jpg (24 KB, 800x416) Image search: [Google]
141.jpg
24 KB, 800x416
>>29508886

The NEW Nimravus looks good, they got rid of the sharp finger choil which stabbed your finger.

The Nimravus is too thin and nimble for how heavy it is, but if you just want to cut stuff it's excellent.

I recommend either the new one or the Blackwater version, that has the serrations on the spine.

Tanto or not doesnt matter, it's a good cutter and slicer anyways.

The fixed Adamas is also pretty good, but I dont like how obtuse the point is and how much belly it has.

I thoroughly recommend you put some scales on it.

I thoroughly recommend you look into the OLD Gerber Yari, which is in every way superior to the Nimravus (if you can find it)
>>
File: dblsheath.jpg (16 KB, 380x432) Image search: [Google]
dblsheath.jpg
16 KB, 380x432
>>29510550
>>29510550
>Serious question, do shoulder harnesses for larger knives actually exist?
Yes.
>>
>>29509898
Folding: Griptilian
Fixed: Adamas
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.