[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom build knives. Is there a market?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: IMAG0042.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0042.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
Hi /k/,
I just finished my latest project (happy to discuss techniques and equipment used) and I was wondering if this kind of stuff sells. Would you buy it? How much is it worth?
Do you make knives?
>>
I love Milano cookies
>>
Send a sample to a high end knife maker and see if they're willing to hire you.

It would save you the trouble of trying to get your own marketing and sales together.
>>
>>29506240
I'm not looking for a job, I'm too busy. I get maybe a few hours a week free to spend in the garage.
I live in Australia, there's less in the way of weapon-loving people who buy swords and guns, and as such, I know only of mass produced knife sellers, like Global and Scanpan. Hunting is legal in Victoria so you get rifle shops that sell hunting knives, but they're all Victorinox or Winchester. Neither are based hee and I doubt Victorinox needs someone who can build knives when everything they make is off a machine line.
>>
File: 1417965763982.jpg (46 KB, 522x593) Image search: [Google]
1417965763982.jpg
46 KB, 522x593
>>29506227
Can't unsee
>>
>>29506193
You're in aussie land, so maybe.

Invest in a rudimentary heat treating setup at some point and you might get more. And I don't just mean a propane torch and a bucket of water. Complex steels need to soak at a constant temperature for 20+ minutes to achieve target hardness, and it takes hours of the same at a lower temperature for a proper temper.

Not saying do it right now, but if you ever get things off the ground just shaping stainless or plain carbon on a belt sander, you'll probably find a market for good blades.
>>
There is a tv show called Forged In Fire. They get 4 knife makers and have a build off. It's funny to see the "pros" sent home crying.
>>
Yeah there's a market. A lot of blade makers use forums and Instagram as a means of selling their knives. Same goes for etsy and occasionally eBay. I also make knives, if you price your stuff well and also manage to have a good design then the only thing you need to worry about is marketing. Custom knife buyers are a very huge and loyal market.
>>
>>29506305
I see plenty of custom knives getting sold on ebay, i've even planned to buy one myself. Set up an account and try to sell some there
>>
There's a knife forum site called australian blade forums I think, it has a section specifically for aussie knife makers, discussing techniques and how to get coverage and such, so that might be worth a try.

I will say for certain that there is definitely a market for custom knifemakers in australia though.
>>
>>29506193

I own 4 custom fixed blades (three from Calton Cutlery and one from Rhode Edge), so I would say yes.

However, the key is to decide up front which market segment you want to target.

Some people, like myself, buy custom knives because we want things you cannot get from production knives (thin geometries, high hardness, high apex stability steels), and others buy customs because they like collectibles.

The latter demographic is more a question of your knives looking cool and desirable and then being marketed enough to develop a cult following. The former is target market is more a matter of making specialized high performance knives.
>>
>>29510881
Sorry for the delay.
If you purchase custom knives, would you do me a favour and compare them to mine, so I know if it's any good with respect to other items on the market?
>>
File: IMAG0040.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0040.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>
File: IMAG0044.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0044.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>
>>29511518
I'm on my phone, so excuse the seperate posts.
Notice the symbol burned into the hilt in this photo, and the hidden pins that hold the knife in place.
>>
>>29511504

I'm not really the right person to ask because I'm typically more concerned with functionality than aesthetics, plus those pictures are not high resolution enough to tell much.
>>
I tried to get into knifemaking.

A big factor when making a lot of knives to sell to multiple people is consistency, and in knife making, consistency is brought on by having expensive, high end equipment that can produce the same results every time, hundreds of times.

It's probably better to do as a hobby, unless you can prove that you're a master craftsman and that your knives are worth more than the handmade ones on eBay, you're not going to gain much out of it.
>>
>>29511682
I should also mention that the market is saturated with people just like you, OP, who made a knife in their garage and want to try to start making knives that are of marketable quality.

From what I understand about knife making culture in general, you should be prepared to make at least 100 knives or so before your work is good enough to be marketable.
>>
>>29506193
>Would you buy it?
Looks pretty nice but probably not

>How much is it worth?
No fucking idea

>Do you make knives?
Fuck no
>>
>>29506193
small one
>>
>>29506193
I have seen a bunch of no name customs sell for like 500 dollars on blade forums.you could probably push for 300.
>>
>>29511536
i don't like that symbol. It looks like poorly scribbled moonrunes.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.