[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on the ruger scout? I might get one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: 6803.jpg (25 KB, 825x195) Image search: [Google]
6803.jpg
25 KB, 825x195
What's your opinion on the ruger scout? I might get one
>>
>>29503015
Overpriced bolt action.
>>
File: sportervarmint.jpg (25 KB, 971x254) Image search: [Google]
sportervarmint.jpg
25 KB, 971x254
>>29503015
Get a Tikka T3 instead man

Jeff Cooper was a cool dude but when it comes to rifles he hadn't got clue
>>
>>29503117
Does it have larger mags?
>>
>>29503015

Fun rifle but a bit heavy for the concept. there is variant with a lightweight composite stock. get that.
>>
>>29503142
Not as standard, but aftermarket mags do exist
>>
File: mossberg-mvp-patrol-lead.jpg (262 KB, 647x414) Image search: [Google]
mossberg-mvp-patrol-lead.jpg
262 KB, 647x414
>>29503015
A lot of people are going to bitch about the price for it being a bolt action and not being designed to be a long range gun, but it has a lot of features that make it worth the money if that's what you're looking for. Most other competitive rifles in the category aren't going to have all of the same features and will require some more money and modification to get them on the Ruger's level.

>short barrel because it's not a 800m gun (although the 18 inch barrel is probably better than the 16 that America gets)
>threaded out of the box
>good set of iron sights
>scout rail out of the box
>XS makes a normal position rail that comes with a built in rear sight if that's more to your style
>detachable magazines out of the box
>the magazines are also easy to get and not that expensive
>not the lightest, but still managable
>nice looking laminated wood stock

With that said, the .308 Mossberg MVP patrol rifle is a good alternative you might want to look at.
>>
File: mosin.jpg (98 KB, 736x485) Image search: [Google]
mosin.jpg
98 KB, 736x485
>>29503169

> It's too heavy! I need something lighter!

- never said by anyone with big testicles
>>
File: 6804.jpg (7 KB, 500x196) Image search: [Google]
6804.jpg
7 KB, 500x196
>>29503015
I have a hybrid on the way and need a large caliber host so im getting the lipsey version here pretty soon. you cant really shoot very far here anyways and the scout set up sounds interesting, plus i love irons.
>>
One of the only good scout rifles on the market. Very expensive for what is though. However the synthetic one is really cool. I was really excited about ruger coming out with a 5.56 version because I'm a poorfag who can't afford .308 but I was really dissapointed. Ruger managed to create a 5.56 rifle that weighs more than its .308 counterpart because they use the same everything, just a different bore diameter and an insert for the AI mags that allows 5.56 to be loaded into the .308 mag.

Then I realized Mossberg came out with their version of the a scout rifle. It's much cheaper but as you'd expect it's slightly lower quality. But hey it accepts at mags which is a huge advantage over paying $30 per AI mag.
>>
>>29503015
>sights can't be easily adjusted between different ranges
>expensive magazines
>scout scope mount is a disadvantage due to limiting your selection of scopes and has no purpose being on the gun considering the magazine can't be reloaded while still in the gun
>expensive for what it is
My serious opinion, either pay less and get the Mossberg MVP in .308 if you really want a bolt action or pay a bit more and build an AR-10 from PSA.
>>
File: 1381877735141.jpg (75 KB, 560x367) Image search: [Google]
1381877735141.jpg
75 KB, 560x367
>>29503563
>>expensive magazines
The new polymer ones are cheap, and you only need to buy a few.

>>scout scope mount is a disadvantage due to limiting your selection of scopes and has no purpose being on the gun considering the magazine can't be reloaded while still in the gun
Buy the other rail Ruger makes for it for conventional scopes. Or preferably get the XS rail for the Scout and it has a rear peep sight so you don't sacrifice your irons.
>>
>>29503618
>Or preferably get the XS rail for the Scout and it has a rear peep sight so you don't sacrifice your irons.
At that point you're going to be at least $850 into the gun. Last I checked you could build an AR-10 from PSA for under $1000 and a Mossberg MVP .308 with sights and a rail on the receiver can be had for $550.
>>
>>29503563
>>29503618
the concept behind a high eye relief scope forward set is so you can shoot easily with both eyes open thus not affecting you situational awareness I like scout mounted scopes personally (though more practical on a semi auto ie M1a)
>>
>>29503015
What is a scout rifle?
>>
>>29503723
>scout rifle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle
>>
>>29503708
>the concept behind a high eye relief scope forward set is so you can shoot easily with both eyes open thus not affecting you situational awareness
This is a common misconception, being able to shoot with both eyes open has nothing to do with where the scope is mounted and everything to do with using a low power scope. I can shoot my .22 with its x4 scope with both eyes open without any problems.
>>
>>29503723
An outdated concept that still manages to stay alive due to marketing.
>>
>>29503563
It has a standard M77 receiver retard you can use standard rings and bases for whatever optic you want if the scout mount triggers your autism
>>
>>29503936
Then you lose the advantage of having sights on the gun and might as well have purchased one of the other less expensive alternatives, and if you want the ability to mount a scope on the receiver and have sights as a backup you're going to be at least $850 into the gun and really close to the price of better options such as an AR-10 or a PTR-91.
>>
>>29503751
there is always one... regardless I prefer scout mounted scopes when possible due to it making it more of a mid rage scope instead of a long range scope (I hate red dots and I've no need for a high power optic) and you cant argue that scout mounting an optic makes getting on target faster and easier than a traditional higher power optic admittedly at the cost over scope power and accuracy at longer ranges thus it works as a mid rage DM optic you can argue all you want but examples of the optic being used for that purpose are many
>>
>>29504170
Fucking damn it points are (hopefully this time with out going full retard)
1) scout mounted scope are easy to get on target quickly and are more effective at closer ranges
2) you loose accuracy at longer ranges
3) EASYER TO KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN
4) there are many examples of scout scopes used on DM riffles in combat
>>
>>29504170
>>29504254
If forward mounted "scout scopes" were better in the ways that you listed then militaries today would be issuing soldiers them instead of optics like the Acog, Elcan, etc. The only time I've read about a forward mounted scope being used by a military was the ZF-41 used by German in WWII, and I would think the fact that they haven't had widespread adoption by any military in the 70+ years since would speak volumes about how it was a design dead end.
>>
>>29504071
>muh $850 price point

People can spend money how they want, I don't know why you care so much about it. I can buy a Ruger American .308 for $369 now your stupid argument is BTFO retard
>>
>>29504389
>I can buy a Ruger American .308 for $369 now your stupid argument is BTFO retard
Wat, did you miss how I said:
>you lose the advantage of having sights on the gun and might as well have purchased one of the other less expensive alternatives
You just acknowledged my argument instead of disproving it.
>>
File: rugerscout308.png (225 KB, 550x322) Image search: [Google]
rugerscout308.png
225 KB, 550x322
id like a leupold CDS. make it truly one rifle to rule them all.
>>
>>29503216
>Mosin
>Some kind of not-PU scope
>A stalhelm style helmet

Is he a Finn?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.