[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, Can a non US citizen ever hope to become an aviation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: AH-64 Apache.jpg (568 KB, 2419x1892) Image search: [Google]
AH-64 Apache.jpg
568 KB, 2419x1892
Hey /k/,

Can a non US citizen ever hope to become an aviation officer (helicopter) in the US Army? You need a bachelor's degree to even be considered for officer, I will probably get mine in about 2.5 years (EU here). Can I apply for a green card, become a citizen, then proceed to become an aviation officer? I'll be 22 by the time I get my bachelor's degree. Is there any hope that I get to be an aviation officer in the US army or should I just kill myself?
>>
>>29501079
bump, someone help this poor guy out
>>
You need to be a citizen. You don't need a degree to be a warrant officer

Source: US Army Warrant Officer
>>
>>29501113
OP here, so should I just focus on getting citizenship and then join the 'High school to flight school' program?
>>
>>29501155
If you want to fly, go Warrant.
If you want to lead, go Commissioned.
>>
army helicopter pilot here, ask me anything
>>
>>29501182
1. Which model do you fly?

2. If I get a green card, what is the fastest way to become a helicopter pilot in the army?

3. Which route did you take to become a helicopter pilot (where did you start)?

4. Was the training more harsh and rigorous than you expected?

I probably have some more questions, can't think of any right now.
>>
>>29501182
1. the UH60
2. The fastest way to get there would be becoming a warrant officer and securing a position through the WOFT program, you don't need a college education to get into that, they take highschool kids
3. I did ROTC at my university, got placed into the guard because "hurr durr" shitty grades and said fuck that I wanna fly, and found an aviation unit that needed pilots.
4. the training was about what I expected, it's not extremely terrible but it isn't a cakewalk. you need to be well versed in handling a lot of tasks, both in the cockpit and in your personal life. Flight school is very fast paced.

For you, I'd say try to go WOFT but it's very competitive, you probably would need citizenship first before being considered for the program.

I gotta go fly now, but I'll be on later to answer anyone's questions
>>
AH64 pilot here, ask me anything.
>>
File: Apache_versus_Hind.jpg (46 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
Apache_versus_Hind.jpg
46 KB, 720x405
>>29501248

How long is flight school? I was debating joing the Army with either the OCS or WOFT programs. My recruiter says my packet is very strong so I should be able to achieve whichever I go out for.

The Warrant seems awesome, but I'm a little hesitant because of the 7-9 year commitment including training and flight school, whereas regular Officer, while my MOS is more up in the air, I can still get a job in Combat Arms and the commitment is only 3-4 years including schools.

Thoughts?
>>
>>29501285
Apachebro here. I think we've discussed the commitments for you in previous threads. Aviation commitments are near identical regardless of officer type.
>>
>>29501285
Flight school is around 18 months or so depending on who is financing your education. If you're guard. It's generally faster because the feds aren't paying for it. So your periods of being on hold between training is shorter. Most times.

As for your other question. It depends on what you really wanna do. Army aviation is awesome. The commitment to me is worth it. Regular combat arms MOS's are great. But in my opinion. I love flying more. Plus combat arms that aren't aviation. Do a lot of walking and a lot of bullshit. Not that aviation doesn't have its fair share.
>>
>>29501305

Yeah, I have to make the call which way I'm going this week to make the board in time.

I realize that Aviation commitments are the same for both, so I should clarify; if I went Commissioned Officer Aviation wouldn't be one of my top choices. I'd be more interested in Infantry, Combat Engineer, Armor. Flying sounds really, REALLY cool, but it was never a mega passion of mine. I was just exploring options to join the Army and that's one of the paths that came up.
>>
>>29501380
Remember as a commissioned guy you can always branch transfer. There were a lot of prior service captains in my class from other branches.
>>
>>29501380
You have to want it to get here. It's highly sought after.
>>
>>29501394

As in resign my commission and go Warrant or switch from one MOS to Aviation?
>>
>>29501079
Go away ISIS
>>
>Can I apply for a green card, become a citizen

That's a fucking ten year multi-thousand dollar process with no guarantee of success.
>>
>>29501401
>>29501401
You can do both. I've known LTs captains and even majors who have reverted to warrant in order to fly. Or you can stay commissioned and and simply transfer branches (infantry to aviation, retain your captain or LT rank).
>>
>>29501406
OP here, pure European blood runs through my veins (Saxon/Frisian combination). Born and live in the Netherlands. Sadly I cannot make use of any positive racism and have to go through the same checks as a possible ISIS infiltrator. Believe me I hate ISIS just as much as you do, but due to the 5 years of green card before you get citizenship ISIS is probably gone by the time I get to serve.
>>
>>29501443
Why aren't you signing up for the Dutch airforce? They have plenty of Apaches.
>>
God speed OP! Not a citizen myself, and I've always wanted to enlist. Hope you make it!
>>
File: 1459717439551.jpg (473 KB, 852x3647) Image search: [Google]
1459717439551.jpg
473 KB, 852x3647
>>29501563
Budget cuts every year, more passive than US army.

I want to go do this 100%, unless a major war break out the government will probably cut a few helicopters because they are too expensive for them. Dutch air-force is my backup plan, since it doesn't seem like it's likely to get citizenship in time to get the training. But the US army is my dream, so I feel like it's at least worth a shot, even if it's a long shot.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.