[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At the risk of sounding like a mall ninja, does anyone own/use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1456667192325.jpg (50 KB, 457x480) Image search: [Google]
1456667192325.jpg
50 KB, 457x480
At the risk of sounding like a mall ninja, does anyone own/use NVG's?
>>
saving up my scheckels for one
>>
>>29492289
Got the set that came with Modern Warfare.
>>
>>29492317
Show 2 me pls anon
>>
I has pvs14s
>>
File: atf.jpg (454 KB, 1641x1331) Image search: [Google]
atf.jpg
454 KB, 1641x1331
>>29492289
Completely underwhelming unless you hunt animals or people at night. If you really want to fill out the fantasy Mad Max tier end of world bullshit kit, then it's a necessary item as well I guess. If you are thinking you are going to grab NV responding to your own front door being kicked open in the middle of the night, good luck.
>>
Flew with them everyday in Afghanistan, an avs 6s.
>>
>>29492347
Does that even work or is it just a fancy gimmick?
>>
>>29493484
Nope, just a plastic contraption with green film over the lens and standard red/white lights.
>totally worth paying $100 for
>>
>>29492289
Are you hunting hogs, coyote or other things at night?
>Yes
Go for it.
>No
Go buy a really nice gun or four.
>>
>>29493387
I want to fill out the fantasy Mad Max tier end of world bullshit kit.
>>
>>29493484

I don't know what the fuck >>29493536 is talking about.

It actually did work fairly effectively. Lights were truly IR and even the brightest setting left the led's a really dull purple color that disappeared after a foot or so.

Problem was the batteries lasted two minutes and you had actual negative depth perception.
>>
>>29492289
What's mall ninja about NVG? They operate in urban areas with 24/7 fluorescent lighting

I would love night vision for hiking.
>>
>>29492289
Would anyone recommend infrared instead of night vision? I would think using heat signatures would be better than night vision but I have no clue on if it would be better for such tasks.
>>
>>29493639
IR is night vision. What you're thinking of is FLIR which picks up heat signatures.
>>
>>29493639
Forward looking infrared that's worth a shit costs a good clip more than gen 3 night vision. It is absolutely fucking awesome though.

Even more awesome are the newer hybrids that do NV/IR/3-5 modes of IRNV combo. It's literally terminator/predator vision. Fucking gnarly as all fuck.
>>
>>29493639
>>29493657
>>29493691
Another thing I feel is worth mentioning is FLIR eats batteries compared to standard night vision. Worth considering if it's for SHFT/bug out or what have you
>>
>>29493691
Is there such a thing as IR headlight bulbs or mounted searchlights?
>>
>>29493745
google "ir headlights" and perhaps that will answer your question
>>
>>29493639
thermals=better at detecting
NV=better at identification
with thermals you'll see a blob and you can easily tell something is there but, depending on the circumstances, you might not be able to figure out what it is.
with NV you might not notice something is even there, but if you do, it's easier to tell what it is.
with NV.
use both and you're at the top of the food chain.
>>
>>29493536
>>29493595
Nah they are actual IR and work just fine, the depth perception is an issue, though. Never had a problem with battery life.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.