[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wood Framed Gun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: desert iron wood.jpg (93 KB, 800x391) Image search: [Google]
desert iron wood.jpg
93 KB, 800x391
We all have heard about polymer framed guns. They've been shown to be reliable over the years. The question I have, is if it would be possible to make a decent frame out of resin infused wood. The resin makes the wood quite a bit more resilient, and wood is much more aesthetically pleasing than polymer. So /k/ is it realistic to make a wood framed gun, assuming you used something like resin infused ironwood? How long would it hold up?
>>
This would obviously cost more than an equivalent polymer frame, I am not asking about using it for a production line, more of as a highly customized (and expensive) option.
>>
Fear of splinters intenseifly
>>
>>29483836
Ironwood's (the desert and black from the USA) are immensely tough timbers, so you wouldn't have to use a resin to reinforce them.
Problem comes down to working them- they'll turn on a lathe really well, but they beat the shit out of your cutting edges. 2nd problem is that the ironwoods are insanely heavy timbers... which isn't a great thing when you're lugging a gun around for any length of time.

Resin infusing timbers, mostly you do that to tool and knife handles with materials like burls that are structurally weaker than conventional, grained timbers.
>>
>>29483836
I think the hard part would be machining the wood to spec. You can just injection mold a polymer frame, but imagine trying to cut all those rails out of wood, which can have knots and shit? That and polymer frames are usually made around steel reinforcements for strength. Not sure if wood can stand up to the same stresses.

I'm sure it can be done in some way, though.
>>
>>29483836
Not OP but I have a similar question. What other materials could plastic guns be made of in place of polymer? Bakelite?
>>
>>29483983
Ironwood was just an example. Other woods might be used depending on ones tastes.
>>
>>29484107
I want a marble stock
>>
>>29484130
I want an AR lower made of granite and one of obsidian
>>
You could probably make a Glock frame out of wood pretty easily, but it would have to be steel reinforced in the same places that an actual Glock frame is steel reinforced.
>>
File: curly.jpg (63 KB, 896x450) Image search: [Google]
curly.jpg
63 KB, 896x450
>>29484116
Really just comes down to the timber mostly
Straight grained timbers are preferable because they have the most structural strength, but some of the curly and fiddleback timbers would also be quite find for a rifle stock- lot of the old, high end Brit hunting rifles would use them from time to time
>>
File: 1420528771837.jpg (160 KB, 1100x625) Image search: [Google]
1420528771837.jpg
160 KB, 1100x625
>>
File: 1413957281944.jpg (19 KB, 540x335) Image search: [Google]
1413957281944.jpg
19 KB, 540x335
>>29484212
>>
File: 5185754_orig.jpg (112 KB, 1100x696) Image search: [Google]
5185754_orig.jpg
112 KB, 1100x696
>>29484212
>>
>>29484191
I was thinking of using greenheart
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/ten-best-woods-youve-never-heard/
>>
File: demarcation.jpg (50 KB, 896x399) Image search: [Google]
demarcation.jpg
50 KB, 896x399
>>29484359
Greenhearts a pretty unique timber really, lot of rigidity but it should stand up to shock-loading fairly well.
Another neat timber which I've only got a tiny amount of (and it took me fucking ages to find) is Lignum Vitae, which was so fucking tough they used to use it for shaft bearings in nuke subs. But its very heavy so a full block of it as a stock would weigh a tonne!

if you wanted a nice pattern the demarcation types of timbers are beautiful too, don't currently have any Zircote on me as its terribly expensive, but damn, its really pretty
>>
>>29484483
I was thinking for a pistol frame anyway. I picked greenheart because it has a high hardness, and extremely high MOE and MOR. With added toughness from the resin, I figured it ought to hold up.
>>
>>29484483
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/lignum-vitae/
Lignum vitae is difficult to come by these days. Verawood, a related species, is much easier to come by, and almost as tough. Quebracho is even harder than Lignum Vitae (its name is derived from the Spanish words for "axe breaker").
>>
File: burls.jpg (77 KB, 900x446) Image search: [Google]
burls.jpg
77 KB, 900x446
>>29484509
For pistol scales, you can use nearly anything really as they're not structural.

>>29484568
Lignum's got some beautiful colours through it, piece I managed to find is fairly thin but its got a combination of pine colours mixed in with some blue-grey streaks through it.
Hardest timber I know of is Australian Buloke, which I can get quite a bit of here in Aust.
That shit's insanely tough to work on though!
>>
>>29484130
I've always wondered what a fossilized wood stock would look like.
>>
>>29483836
Why does nobody in this thread know the difference between a stock and a frame?
>>
>>29486114
Who doesn't know the difference?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.