[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any reason why bullpup isn't the norm?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: FOQAI6WG2WM2XW1.LARGE.jpg (12 KB, 600x191) Image search: [Google]
FOQAI6WG2WM2XW1.LARGE.jpg
12 KB, 600x191
Wouldn't bullup be the next step in evolution of guns? But still M16 and AK47 are the most used.
>>
File: walther.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
walther.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>29480069
>>29480069
>Wouldn't bullup be the next step in evolution
of guns?
Yes

>But still M16 and AK47 are the most used.
They have been around for longer and are generally cheaper.

>Any reason why bullpup isn't the norm?
Apart from the above some arent ambidextrous but the mayor issue is who makes them because most countries insist on handing out contracts only to companies within the country. On top of that countries like the US dont even want to adopt foreign designs which as far as I know all bullpups are.

As soon as they are priced resonably only trigger nazis will reject them.
>>
>>29480494

Fuck me that's a beautiful weapon
>>
>>29480069
BUTT STROKE TO THE HEAD ?
>>
They don't offer any significant advantage over traditional weapon systems and actually have more shortcomings as well as being way more expensive.
>>
>>29480069
Less ergonomic reload.
>>
>>29480069
>mushy trigger
>usually not ambidextrous
>ambidextrous models typically have an awkward clearing drill
>awkward reloads
>overly long length of pull, esp with backpack or body armor
>the action is right next to your face if there's a catastrophic failure
>>
>>29482582

>mushy trigger

Is this something that will likely always be the case with bullpups?
>>
>>29482464
>length doesn't matter
>weight doesn't matter
>>
>>29480069
There are advantages and disadvantages to each system. Bullpups have not offered a significant enough improvement on the traditional rifle to constitute a major shift in weapons technology. They fill a role, but don't really justify replacing traditional rifle designs.
>>
I feel like having the magwell in front of the trigger would make it way way easier to reload a shouldered weapon in stressful combat situations. Probably not a huge deal if you're training with a bullpup from the beginning, but most soldiers aren't.
>>
>>29482764
Length doesn't matter as much due to better ammo granting better ballistics out of shorter barrels, and the ranges where reduced length would help manoeuvreability doesn't really make a difference in terms of increased accuracy out of a longer barrel

Also most bullpups are heavy and bulky as shit especially compared to a carbine length AR15
>>
>>29482745
yup
>>
Didn't China move to bullpups and then start issuing machetes as melee weapons?
>>
>>29480069

most of them have ass triggers and reloading is awkward compared to traditional platforms, aside from this weight balancing tends to be mediocre and most of them in the pursuit of being shorter tend to be rear heavy.
>>
>>29483141
The reloading motion is not awkward, the issue with bullpup reloads is with people trained on conventional platforms.
>>
>>29483141
The AUG balanced right above the grip, slightly forward of that on the 20" version. The Tavor is aass-heavy, yes.
>>
>>29480069
Because nobody can be assed to make a truly ambi bullpup or one for a decent price.
>>
Because the US is never going to abandon the Stoner system until it starts actually impacting the effectiveness of its troops. Which will not happen unless whoever we are fighting has some sort of technological advantage.
>>
>>29482745
its easy to fix, I don't know why it would be
>>
File: SAM_0004.jpg (1 MB, 1844x1383) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0004.jpg
1 MB, 1844x1383
>>29483200
Hnnnnnngh I love my AUG nigga.
>>
>>29483452
>>29482745
Mushy trigger happens on the Steyr due to how automatic mode was implemented
>>
Was dropping the Aug in favour of the LMT CQB16 a good decision by the NZ army?
>>
>>29485804
OF COURSH
>>
>>29483055
It's about not needing a separate rifle for longer ranges and clearing rooms.

You can be clearing rooms, leave building for whatever reason and engage targets at a much further distance.
>>
>>29483094
Joking aside they gave out bullpups before going back to traditional rifles for their special forces
>>
>>29480069
You would have to not only replace every rifle in the ranks you would have to retrain entire armies.
>>
>>29480069
The only advantage they have is a short OAL. Stock is not adjustable, trigger is objectively worse, reload is awkward.
>hurr i practice ten hours a day
You still can't see what you're doing without turning your head or unshouldering the gun. Also if you have a windowed mag you can't see it.

A scoped AUG in arctic camo totally gives me a cold war boner tho.
>>
>>29482764
Most bulllpups are the same weight if not a bit heavier than a normal rifle.
>>
>>29486044
The US army does not issue 2 weapons like you believe the M4 is fine for both.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.