[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k think about smart guns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: k.jpg (75 KB, 660x588) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
75 KB, 660x588
What does /k think about smart guns?
>>
>>29477412
more things to fail in a situation where you don't want things failing
>>
>>29477412

shit idea from shitlords.
>>
Well, when the system does inevitably fail, you can at least use the gun as a club.
>>
SHALL
>>
NOT
>>
>>29477435
inventing a product, however stupid it may be, is not infringing upon.
Forcing one to use a product is, That's not what this thread is about though
>>
>>29477412

Yes, please! I want electronics that can fail at the worst possible time. Even better if my government can remotely disable my gun for me any reason at any time!
>>
>>29477412
Shit idea from liberal cockfags
>>
BE
>>
>>29477412
Fucking retarded, it just adds another step that can easily fail for poor reasoning, if someone else has your gun you are screwed regardless.
>>
STANDING!
>>
>>29477412
Just wait until there's a mass shooting with one of these, my shit eating grin will be unmatched.
>>
What's wrong with the idea though? If the tech's up to scratch (Judging by what people are saying here it isn't) surely it's just safer?
>>
>>29477458
>Even better if my government can remotely disable my gun for me any reason at any time!
This. This is the real purpose.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
INFRINGED
>>
>>29477506
Yea ok fed
>>
>>29477412
My phone won't open 90% of the fucking time when I do my fingerprint. My fucking laptop won't log on when I type my password half the time. I've worked 2 different jobs where you used your finger prints to punch in and more often than not I just used my key number because the finger print thing never worked.

Why would I want that on a gun?
>>
>>29477507
>>29477458

I don't like smart guns either, i think its a fucking awful attempt with almost 0 logic.

But what if they don't have a wireless transmitter on them.
>>
>Halt intruder
> because I need to reboot my gun
>>
>>29477500
>some dude tries to be a hero
>wrestles the gun from P. Autismo when he's not paying attention
>gun doesn't fire
>Autismo pulls out his Smart Pistol (TM), guns Mr. Hero down
>continues to shoot swaths of unarmed people
>lol
>>
>>29477537
>stop or I will shoot!
>"downloading update 1 of 765"
>>
Hell no.
>>
File: image.png (81 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
image.png
81 KB, 300x169
>>29477478
ON!
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 640x360
THE EDGE
>>
>>29477583
THE EDGE
>>
File: image.png (233 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
image.png
233 KB, 500x366
OF THE CRATER
>>
File: behoooold.gif (962 KB, 500x230) Image search: [Google]
behoooold.gif
962 KB, 500x230
SOP / 10, don't believe Patriot lies

>>29477618

LIKE THE PROPHETS ONCE SAAAID
>>
File: 1458154555307.gif (2 MB, 294x273) Image search: [Google]
1458154555307.gif
2 MB, 294x273
>>29477542
Mfw
>>
you guys might be good with guns, but you cant speak shit about electronics.

A (correctly setup and maintained) digital system will never ever fail, the only thing that can fail are the materials in the setup. Or, of course, human error in the setup itself. A computer doesn't crash because it is doing something wrong, it crashes because someone made a mistake programming it, or setting it up. And materials only fail when they break, which is infrequently. The only reason materials on complicated devices like computers fail so much is they have specific limits on the amount of power and heat that they can sustain, and many of the materials used in the construction of computers even more so. A simple digital system, with the only requirement being that the voltage is kept at a specific amount, will rarely rarely have material failures.

To apply this information to the gun argument; if a smartgun was setup with a simple digital system, then the actual chances of it failing at any one time would be incredibly low, almost non-existent. Additionally, such a smart gun system could probably be designed on your own, using prefab parts. Meaning that the gun would not require a computer connected to the internet, and very little coding, so no updates or long distance locking of the gun. Actually, you could have a full computer wired into the gun, and so long as you left off some form of wireless transmitter, no one would be able to remotely lock it ever.

TL;DR
none of you understand how this shit works, holy shit.
>>
>>29477412
My main concern isnt really goverment disabling it although thats a worrying possibility

Its how fucking expensive it probably is and its probably expensive/ineffecient to make
>>
File: Lawgiver.png (497 KB, 1065x536) Image search: [Google]
Lawgiver.png
497 KB, 1065x536
>>29477412
I want one that will explode when anyone but me tries to fire it.
>>
>>29477654
one last thing; to build the setup could be incredibly cheap; you could probably pull it off with AOI.
>>
>>29477654
>the only thing that can fail are the material in the system
So what happens when you leave it in a humid place and the parts get wet? Or drop it in water? Or the battery dies? Or the fingerprint scanner gets cracked after dropping it?
>>
>>29477654
Great, another thing I have to worry about getting tiny ass batteries for and cleaning out the space for said batteries.
>>
>>29477684
assuming you make the system open to the elements, you really wouldn't have to. you could have it entirely enclosed in rubber.
>>
>>29477695
because guns just have all this space to add this shit in, right? lining a gun entirely with rubber, or just the grip, will make it fat as fuck and too big to carry.
>>
>>29477533
They can still be disabled via EMP
>>
>>29477695
and the adhesive will fail over time as well
>>
File: Jailbroken_93243e_1532886-1.jpg (458 KB, 604x1134) Image search: [Google]
Jailbroken_93243e_1532886-1.jpg
458 KB, 604x1134
>>
>>29477654
Electronics are not as reliable as mechanical parts, that is why we do not put them in firearms.
>>
>>29477414
It's a bit like that self-driving car. Too many things that can go wrong or even be tampered with by other people a thousand miles away. It's a nice idea if it wasn't so prone to failing.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
Kojima warned us. Why didn't we listen?
>>
>>29477754
don't bother, he already got btfo
>>
>>29477412
Its just fucking stupid and unnecessary, it makes the gun less reliable for practically no gain.

Even if you can make it never fail (which I seriously fucking doubt unless you want to spend a shitton on it and then make it unnecessarily bulky by waterproofing such a thing) whats the fucking purpose, you are boned regardless if someone somehow gets your gun from you.
>>
>>29477435
Anon, I'm...im gonna...I'm about to infringe...

Ffffffuuuuuckkk...felt so damn good to infringe. Need a smoke.
>>
>>29477731
Jailbreaking a gun. Now that's going to be a felony on par with carpet bombing your asshole neighbor.
>>
>>
Dumb
>>
>>29477412
Quit literally a fucking terrible idea.

-can't wear gloves
-fingerprint IDs aren't known for working flawlessly and even good ones require multiple attempts for recognition
-Gun can get the shit beat out of them, are the electronics going to hold up?

Whoever thinks these would be in any wya a good idea needs to be tied to weights and dropped into an ocean.
>>
> government take over has begun
> hit button, turn off every gun

Yeah great idea
>>
>>29477803
not really, you just pointed out completely solvable flaws.
good job?
>>
Nevermind, you guys are actually being retarded about this
good luck with life. seriously.
>>
>>29477506
Won't stop a madman using his own gun to commit a mass shooting. Won't stop someone from stealing it and removing the electronics. Won't be guaranteed to work when needed to defend one's life.

Bullshit solution for a nonexistent problem.
>>
>>29477456
States like NJ have laws that make it mandatory for new guns to have this "smart" tech once it is available on the market. There are already landmines in this field.
>>
>>29477412
One day there will be a smart gun. The next day, someone will jail break it.
>>
>>29478142
>even good ones require multiple attempts for recognition
The only time my iPhone takes more than one attempt, it's because either my thumb is dirty as fuck, or I'm drunk and my thumb's at a super weird angle. Hell, sometimes when I forget about the Touch ID, I'll hit the home button to put in my code, and in the fraction of a second I'm pressing the button for, Touch ID gets a read. I also have gloves that I can do absolutely everything touch-based on.
>>
Why not just make fingerprint accessed gun safes? Gun safes a shit because if someone breaks in at night you wont have time to unlock it, but if it just took your fingerprint it'd be somewhat practical
>>
Someone will get Doom to run on it.
>>
>>29477412
>Bang bang crash
>Run to state-approved ammo safe
>Submit blood sample to prove identity
>Wirelessly pay ammo access tax
>Retrieve unloaded magazine, begin to insert rounds
>One... two... ok that one's full.
>Run downstairs to separate gun safe.
>Crack open glass vial with daily access code
>Intruder still hasn't found you yet, holy fuck
>Finally open safe and get gun
>Reach into your pocket to get the key to the trigger lock
>Footsteps are just outside the door
>Hold your breath as you slowly release the latch and take the gun in your hands
>DOO-DOO-DE-DOOO, WELCOME TO SMARTGUN! PLEASE PUT YOUR THUMB ON THE PAD AND PREPARE FOR AUTHENTICATION.
>Moment of silence, followed by the crash of the door being flung open
>Raise gun at culturally enriched gentleman
>INSTALLING UPDATES! PLEASE STAND BY!
>Dindo shoots you with pre-ban revolver and takes your smart gun
>Guy he knows strips off the stupid electronics to make it a normal gun
>Your death is used to show how ineffective guns are for home defense, leading to an outright ban in handguns.
>>
>>29477654
A smartgun would require more than a simple digital system though, your argument is pointless.
Also EMP.
>>
>>29477516
Biometric readers are going to be very unreliable unless particularly high-end (and even then you can't have dirty hands), can't fit in a handgun at any rate, couple that with them taking time to read your prints, and you have a very ill fitted safety on a weapon, it's a liability in an emergency.

Afraid of your kids getting to your guns? Get cable locks, they're cheap, mechanically reliable, work on all actions and if they bust or you lose the keys, it wont brick your gun. They're not theft-proof (but neither is the Armatix), but it keeps kids and bumbling family members/acquaintances from having accidents with your weapons.

Your HD gun is either kept on your person or where your kids can't get them.
Also teach your kids to respect guns as deadly weapons, helps prevent accidents.
>>
>>29477412
This will totally eliminate all gun accidents...

Except all the gun accidents I've heard of, where some dumbass "muh self defense" fag shoots their kid while trying to take their glock apart.
>>
>>29478339
>...my thumb is dirty as fuck, or... my thumb's at a super weird angle

Because that's entirely unlikely to happen when operating a pistol with the intent to kill someone. Basically what you are saying is that under pristine conditions the tech works great. That always bodes well in firearms reliability concerns.
>>
>>29477684

>humid place
>drop in water

what is water proofing? and yes that does indeed include humidity.

>battery dies

there are many devices that run 3 - 6 years on a single battery. the new aimpoints run 8 years on one battery.

>scanner cracked after dropping it

an 8 point biometric scanner would not just "crack" because you dropped. maybe if you used your gun to hammer nails, and the scanner as striking surface. they are tough, thick plastics, just like a polymer frame.

>>29477689

fuck this is just stupid as hell. you don't open battery compartments and clean them, dumbass. you put the battery in and close it. it would be a water tight system, not effected by carbon build up and never needed to be cleaned. you open it up once every few years to put in a new battery.

>>29477706

i don't think you understand how small, and light a system like this could be. you seriously lack an understanding of electronics, digital systems and modern tech.

>>29477708

>how does EMP work, the post

>>29477712

there is no single part that would require adhesive, dumbass.

>>29477754

electronics are more reliable than mechanical parts. 99 times out of 100 the problem is OPERATOR ERROR. dumbass owners that don't understand proper operating procedures and ruin their devices, swearing up and down it's the fault of the object, with ZERO ability to admit their own ignorance on the subject.

think of those little pet games that go on keychains. there are literally thousands of them that are 10 years old, still running on the same battery, like they're new. it is 100% possible, and is done every day, to build an electronic device that can last decades, and handle a ton of abuse. in face, the simpler the device, like an 8 point biometric scanner, the easier that is to do.

>>29477791

no it isn't. that is a massively complicated system with many, many components. this is like comparing a modern jet fighter to a 78 pick up truck.

you guys are so dumb, I'm hitting the post lim
>>
>>29477677
This, only acceptable answer.
>>
File: 1459398155680.png (168 KB, 748x756) Image search: [Google]
1459398155680.png
168 KB, 748x756
>>29478386
saved
>>
>>29477412
>What does /k think about smart guns?
belongs in the trash just like the hypocrisy of gay marriage.
>>
File: 1457960914380.jpg (85 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1457960914380.jpg
85 KB, 604x604
I like the idea conceptually. If there's a home invasion scenario and tyrone gets his filthy mitts on my HD gun, it'd be nice if he couldn't shoot it at me. But I don't think I need an additional failure point on any weapon I'm using for practical purposes.
>>
>>29477654
The problem isn't with the logic systems failing. The batteries could fail, and the palm scanner will fail to read your hand if you have and injury or are wearing gloves.

It costs more and introduces more problems and solves a problem that nobody has.

>>29477754
Mechanical parts wear out more quickly and are less reliable than electronics. We don't put electronics in guns because there's nothing useful they would do in a gun.
>>
>>29477412
They're a cool safety feature. But should jot be regulated or required by the government
>>
>>29478142

>can't wear gloves

only valid argument in the entire goddamned thread. thank you sir. yes I agree this is an issue. for a strictly HD gun, not a problem but in my area it get's below zero in the winter... couldn't imagine not having on gloves. would make a smart-gun useless for winter carry.

>blah blah they don't work right

modern biometric scanners do indeed work on the first try. most people have only experienced the use of antiquated biometric technology. i recently did some tech work at a kroger here, and they use a 6 point for their employees to clock in. their scanners process hundreds of finger prints a day with almost no issues. the issues they do have are usually operator error; using the wrong finger, wearing a glove, etc.

>electronics going to hold up?

yes, if designed properly. does your aimpoint break when you drop it? smash it? smack it around? it would be easy to make one as tough as any other electronic device you already have on your guns.
>>
>>29478564
>aimpoint
>not using iron sights
CASUAL!
>>
>>29477654
Nobody has made an integrated smartlock that can handle recoil larger than .22LR, the gentle kick of a Beretta Cheetah (.32, .380) would obliterate the reader in short order, not to talk about 9mm Luger, .40S&W or .45ACP, it wouldn't last one round with these.
>>
>>29477412
I work in IT. I'm never going to entrust my life to something electronic.
>>
>>29478292
>gets told putting flimsy consumer electronics in a device that has to handle lots of abuse and shock is dumb
>acts all booty molested and calls us retards
>>
>>29478383
Only thing that would get me to have one. Think it can run it on Boom or ZDoom?
>>
>>29478611
*Drives to work*
>>
>>29478659
what happens when it becomes sentient and Doom is the only programming it knows?
>>
>>29478667
Nope; I walk or bike.
>>
>>29478386
Top kek
>>
>>29478677
Regardless, I believe you understand my point.
>>
>>29478674
Then I play some BTSX.wad on it during the ceasefire and we post on /vr/ together.

>>29478677
But what about the circuitry and micro processors in your bike?

Could they run Doom?
>>
>>29478730

That anything that has complicated circuitry can potentially fail on you and having one on a firearm is unnecessary?
>>
People are talking about this as though it's a purely theoretical technology, and not one that's already been tried and is horribly fucking broken.

>b-b-but muh advancement

Yeah, in 20 years it may not be /total/ dogshit, and sometime before then they're likely going to sign it into law in some places that it's required.

>But that wouldn't happen
>What do you mean microstamping?

As a /k/alifornian, fuck anyone who supports this technology. You're going to get all of my guns taken away and replaced by .22lr's at 8 times the price.
>>
>>29478564
an Aimpoint or any other electronic optic is several orders of magnitude more simple than a smartgun would have to be. You'd need a system capable of some pretty heavy crypto work if you want to keep the thing secure against tampering whatsoever, and modern biometrics, while pretty accurate and fast, don't exactly lend themselves to the sort of stupid-simple simplicity you'd see in an optic.

Something else that I've never seen anyone bring up is how terrible fingerprints are for security. If someone can reproduce your prints to the required accuracy (which is really, REALLY easy, you can spoof fingerprints pretty well based off of a shitty photo nowadays), you're totally fucked. You can change a password if someone breaks it, but you can't change your fingers.

t. amateur crypto nerd
>>
>>29478742
Exactly.
>>
>>29478564

>do indeed work on the first try.
>almost no issues.
>almost

Killing your own point: The Post.

I'll keep my dumb guns, but you pay a cool grand for another failure point all you please.
>>
>>29478757

Ok. So what was your original point? Newer vehicles have complicated electronics out of necessity.
>>
>>29478564
The fact you directly compared the workings of a fucking Aimpoint, which amounts to little more than an LED in a tube, to a biometric scanner makes me wonder if you're using abrasive arrogance to cover up your own ignorance rather than as an indicator of your supposed expertise in electronics.
>>
>>29478753
>Remington has been microstamping pistol pins since the R1 came out.
>>
>>29478756

>crypto

grats on your unnecessarily complicated idea. you're a crypto nerd so you think it's relevant. it's not. seriously not trying to be a dick here, but what in the hell does that have to do with anything?

in my mind, the scanner is there so that if the BG gets the gun from you, he can't shoot you with your own gun. I don't give a shit if he can take it home and jailbreak it for personal use. all that matters is he can't shoot me with my own gun right then or there.

my kid (i don't have kids) can't get a hold of it and accidentally blow his brains out.... assuming I'm a bad parent that didn't teach his kids gun safety that is.

a biometric can really be stupid simple. it only has to hold one or two patterns, is a simple pass fail system that would likely run on a 100kb java script.

no reason, in my mind, to ever implement a crypto system. my thoughts is that main use for smartgun would be for police. no more BG getting copper's gun and shooting him with is own sidearm.
>>
>>29478768
Exactly.
>>
>>29478564
The gloves are a big issue, glad you recognized that. You are welcome sir. Others said it, but the "almost no issues" is a big damn issue on the reliability of the tech side, especially when considering there's no way to predict how dirty your hands are, if the gun is dirty, etc when you need to use it. You say that the tech will hold up rather confidently. I'm talking beating, soaking, freezing, burning and otherwise getting fucked up. I have back up irons on my guns with optics (to include an aimpoint). I can also still fire my rifle with a dead dot. Anything that puts an extra layer between someone pulling the trigger is a bad idea if the only concern is safety. Another way for people to dodge responsibility and another service to bill for on the black market, because I guarantee you the shit can be unlocked and overridden with a competent person behind the computer.

It's a terrible idea.
>>
>>29478766

read further dipshit. the issues they did have were almost always user error. I should clarify.... the times it wasn't user error, it was an issue with the software on the internal servers that accessed the data of employees..... not at all related to the scanner itself, and issue with other computer systems using poorly programmed software.
>>
>>29478818

>I don't give a shit if he can take it home and jailbreak it for personal use.

Except the assholes the propose the idea of smart guns has exactly that goal in mind.

They don't give two shits about your life.
>>
No one gets to shoot my gun in the first place. mainly because it sucks

>>29477537
blue screen of death IRL
>>
>>29478791
Well when the R51 eventually explodes they need all they can to identify your remains and determining the cause of death (the Remington Handbomb)
>>
>>29478789

>little more than an LED in a tube

no.

also, a BMS is a stupid simple system. nowhere near as complicated as say.... the computer systems in your car. which last for decades. and aren't even water proof.
>>
>>29477412
Mediocre solution in search of a problem.
It didn't work out well in James Bond, what makes people think it'll work in reality?
>>
>>29478818
One of the main supposed reasons for smart guns to exist is to prevent gun theft, if Jamal can flash his fingerprint over yours in 30 seconds with no verification then that sorta defeats the purpose. Remember, no one that really wants "smart guns" ever intends to shoot them, they're either trying to make money or push an agenda. If they released a smart gun with no security whatseover they'd get fucked sideways by the antigun crowd for not going far enough to save the chilluns, and no one would voluntarily buy it anyway.
>>
>>29478441
Well that's what your hyperbole of what I said says. What I said is that unless my thumb is literally caked in dorito dust or faced the entirely wrong way, it works remarkably well. This is a lot easier to do on a uniform rectangle of plastic than a distinctly shaped firearm, likely already in a position that makes it easy to grab correctly.
>>
>>29478791
>They still haven't gotten pistols onto the CA green light list with it

Yeah, no.
>>
>>29478876
>no
Yes, but thanks for confirming my suspicions.
>>
>>29478876
The computer systems in your car also don't need to fit into the grip of a handgun
>>
>>29478876
> the computer systems in your car. which last for decades. and aren't even water proof.
Well, when I start using my car to contain repeated explosions and toss it around against terrain, I'll let you know how well that works out
>>
>>29478876
>BMS small enough to fit on a handgun and sturdy enough to withstand recoil and abuse
>Simple

Continue? [Y/N]
>>
>>29478922
>Car
>Not containing explosions

You may have some misconceptions on how engines work.
>>
>>29478835

>assholes that propose the idea of smart guns has exactly that goal in mind

well fuck them.

>>29478823

re check the "almost no issues part". the issues were due to user error in the dumbest way possible, or because of software issues on the server end, that had nothing to do with the scanners themselves.

dirty hands.... unless you literally dip them in mud first, it isn't an issue.

>beat, soaking, freezing, etc.

all in all, not too much of an issue. there are systems far more complicated than an aimpoint (which just sorta popped in my head, bad example i guess) that can take retard level abuse. such as military GPS handhelds, or a "plugger" as my Lt called them. you couldn't break them if you tired.

but 2min in the hands of a dumbass butter bar and you gotta reset the system because he can't into electronics. luckily a scanner is dumby proof.

>unocked and over ridden

i don't care. i like the idea of BG not shooting me with my gun if we end up wrestling for it. i like the idea of LEO not getting popped with his own side arm.

I really don't give a shit of someone can take it home and hack it. it's not like the gun would be a wireless 4g bluetooth etc. system that can be accessed by any dickhead with a smart phone.
>>
>>29478457
>electronics are more reliable than mechanical parts
AHAHAHAHA OH WOW
>gun jams
>tap and rack
>electronics fail
>dead
Adding electronics to a gun that deal with inherent operation will always be another point of failure especially it isn't always in use and is gathering up a little dust
Battery life doesn't matter if it's out when you need it in 6 years
Plus it's really stupid to need a watch or some shit just to use your gun, now they have two things they can steal to take your gun away
Quit your shilling no one wants your shitty products
>>
>>29478945
>unless you literally dip them in mud first, it isn't an issue
But what if I do and need to shoot someone?
>>
>>29478922

>repeated explosions
>tossed around terrain

holy goddamn you are stupid
>>
>>29478930

>small = complicated because I don't understand
>>
>>29477412
Great idea, terrible in execution. Adds another potential point of failure.
>>
>>29478940
I didn't know the BMs were attached to the engine. Thanks anon. ;)
>>29478979
See above, but I can understand needing things laid out in an elementary fashion might be necessary for you. Also, if a car is being tossed about on terrain, that generally means it's about to be totaled from the wreck, and the BM becomes worthless. Just an FYI.
>>
>>29478997
You're right, the reason computers and cell phones used to be so large is for the aesthetic.
>>
Modern electronics aren't good enough.

Wait 20-30 years and try again.
>>
>>29478940
They don't stick the ECU right next to the pistons you literal retard.

Cars are big, you can afford to distribute your hardware throughout. Any hardware that absolutely needs to be in a not-great location can be hardened and bulked up until it works reliably, and you can put all your sensitive hardware in a dampened location far away from heat and vibration. On a handgun, everything is going to be no more that a couple inches away from that explosion, and you're not going to be able to do any significant damping without totally rethinking conventional handgun design.

Also, car electronics can and do fail, especially those sensors that are in high-stress locations.

>>29478997
Making things bigger is a pretty foolproof method to reduce complexity in modern electronics design. Heavy miniaturization means you've got to cut corners somewhere, you can't just make a component smaller without losing some sort of performance. Generally you're looking at worse thermals and lower MTTF. That's why modern cellphones tend to die in a few years while you can still find plenty of working 486 machines lying around.
>>
>>29478457
>i don't think you understand how small, and light a system like this could be. you seriously lack an understanding of electronics, digital systems and modern tech.

I agree with you that the actual scanning and biometric system could be made reliable enough for it to be viable on the firearm. I have a Nexus 6P and the fingerprint scanner is fast and accurate. However I believe that to be the result of the relatively powerful mobile processor behind it as well as it memory for storing multiple finger prints.

The real issues to implementing smart guns come from the mechanical side. The scanner has to be resistant to the shock of firing the weapon, and the pursuit to do so is going to result in larger housing for the system, more weight of the system, or heftier system components themselves. Weight and real estate on the firearm for this system is at a premium already especially for concealed carry weapons.

Next is where is the scanner going to be placed and what will be the method of actuation. Will it require the user to have their finger on it at all times while operating the firearm, will it work in a way where the user activates it and then has a set amount of time to use the firearm, will the scanner be put in a place that allows for actuation while shooting from the offhand, how big is the scanner, etc.

The next issue is the mechanical linkage between the scanner and the safety mechanism on the firearm itself which adds a whole other list of issues.
>>
>>29478997
Small=can't have a bulky protective casing or impact dampening mechanisms.

Once again

>Implying it hasn't been tried
>Implying it wasn't ludicrously expensive bullshit
>>
>>29478955

yes electronics are indeed more reliable. you seem to be confusing electronics with software, and user interfaces. just.... just shut up.

>out when you need it in 6 years

wow. really? you're reaching here. change the fucking battery every few years. so hard to do.

>stupid to need a watch or some shit

wat

>quit your shilling

not even shilling. you guys just have really stupid fucking ideas about how things work, and fudlore level understanding of digital systems.

>>29478969

that's a problem, just like with gloves. I'm not saying that smart guns are a GOOD thing.... just that most of these arguments are fucking dumb.

these are the only REAL problems with a smartgun.

>you fall
>hand in mud
>grab your gun
>click

or

>it's cold
>gloves are on
>get mugged
>click

the arguments that smartguns are bad because of the electronics are laughable. it has nothing to do with it.

the issue is that scanners cant read fingerprints through obstruction, leading to 1 million scenarios where your prints cant be picked up by the scanner.

I still think it may be a valid thing for police officers, but I would never want one for myself, and would never make is law for people to have them. as an optional safetey feature with clear drawbacks? yes. good idea. let people choose them if they like.
>>
What if the U.S gets EMP-ed?
>>
>>29479090
Ramirez is gonna have his work cut out for him.
>>
>>29479104
hahhaah laffed harder than I should have.

>"Ramirez! DO EVERYTHING!"
>>
>>29478457
lol look at all of this speculation and complete conjecture
Should I tell you about how a 40k watt phased plasma rifle would function even though it doesn't exist?
>>
>>29479090
EMP is...not a real thing.

Ok, it's real, but it has nothing to do with its depictions in fiction.

It's trivial to stop (think surge protectors) and only really hurts things with giant antennas attached (e.g. powerlines) that can pick up the signal.

A nuclear EMP would fuck up the local electrical grid (easy to repair, but transformers are huge, it could take weeks), but your car, laptop, and phone would be undamaged. You might not even need a reboot.
>>
>>29479087
>don't even know about the current technology they're using
You're the stupid one that needs to shutup
Companies are trying to advocate for a watch that unlocks the firearm when you hold it
And no electronics will never be more reliable than a mechanical system
Circuits can much much much (did i say much?) more easily destroyed/stopped/prone to failure than any metal system
>change the battery
A lot of people who own firearms for self defense only own one handgun for self defense and keep it locked in a cupboard next to their bed
While this is stupid when the need does arise for them to use it they shouldn't be locked out because of a dead batter
And yes, you are shilling, ya shill
> 59 cents has been deposited into your account by Armatrix
>>
>>29478457
I like how you just made up a bunch of bs and never even considered the fact that the biometric system has to be connected with a mechanical system that has to block the firearm from being used, now how would you produce a device with a watch battery that can operate the firearm safety hundreds if not thousands of times because you are saying oh some devices run on 3-6 years of batter and a bunch of other conjecture without pointing to a single source.

So if you're making up bullshit how about you also use your imagination to explain how the complete system would function including the blocking of the firearm from firing.
>>
Does anyone actually doubt that smart guns will be the future of firearms?

I mean, sure, the tech is pretty damn sketchy now, I don't expect it to be the "norm" for decades but in a century? In 2 centuries? If we're still using guns, there's no doubt that they will be "smart" and probably use some crazy DNA reader or the grip will be able to instantly scan the veins in your palm thru gloves and give a positive ID to unlock the gun. It's basically inevitable.
>>
>>29479124

>specualtion and conjecture

>in don't understand digital electronics or the involved components so you're just speculating

day/k/are everybody.
>>
>>29479170
Why should we give a shit?
>>
>>29478940
Actually, engines burn gas in a controlled manner. If it explodes it's called detonation, and its very bad for the engine.
>>
>>29479087
I've had two phones literally burn out on me because of shitty capacitors. If I had needed them to function for me in that moment I would have been dead. On the other hand, the worst firearm malfunction I've ever had was a doublefeed, which was resolved in a few seconds. The objective odds of a piece of electronics hardware failing on you during a critical moment is pretty small, and considering that said hardware is always on vs. a gun that maybe fires a few thousand rounds per year, BUT you're totally fucked if it does. You can't reload a burned out trace or tap-rack a bad capacitor.
>>
>>29479170
I could see electronically fired primers, like maybe you can tune the fire rate, perhaps a digital display of ammo count etc., maybe cops will have some sort of lock-out feature on their gun, but I really don't see a market for it outside of police departments, even then I don't think many departments would even buy in to it. The bigger advancement for the police will be shot recorders and electronic records for the armorer.
>>
>>29479170
no they're only being shilled because idiot states like NJ have included them in law basically making it a sure sale for the first company to produce something mediocre which everyone who wants to own a firearm in that state will have to buy. Other than that its a meme design
>>
>>29479170
Eventually. But by that point, the pistol of choice will probably be an egg-sized flying nanotech personal defense copter with a 50-shot 3mm guided railgun.

The new mag capacity debate will be how many swarm-copters are enough and the new open/concealed carry will be about how good the metamaterial cloaks need to be.
>>
>>29479162

>pointing out a source

google you fucking retard. do you need to be spoon fed every goddamn thing, or are you capable of figuring out simple shit on your own? this isn't highschool, and I'm not here to hold your hand.

>mechanical system

you mean magnetic, could run for many years without a battery change and
you know what, I can't handle you fucking retards anymore. fuck all of you.
>>
File: knife_missile_by_ex_pacifist.jpg (20 KB, 1120x641) Image search: [Google]
knife_missile_by_ex_pacifist.jpg
20 KB, 1120x641
>>29479224
>weaponized self-defense drones
we /the culture/ soon
>>
>>29477654
>A (correctly setup and maintained) digital system will never ever fail,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........

>if a smartgun was setup with a simple digital system, then the actual chances of it failing at any one time would be incredibly low, almost non-existent

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAH... oh.. wew...

damn anon u funny
>>
>>29477654
You guys might be good with guns, but you cant speak shit about people.

A (correctly healthy and fit) person will never ever die, the only thing that can die is the persons body. Or, of course, human error causing the person to die. A person doesn't die because it is doing something wrong, it dies because god made a mistake making us, or designing our bodies. And people only die when their body dies, which is infrequently. The only reason materials on complicated lifeforms like humans fail so much is they have specific limits on the amount of life and energy and bullshit they can sustain, and many of the materials used in the construction of humans even more so. A simple human being, with the only requirement being that the heart is always beating, will rarely rarely rarely ever die.
>>
>>29479236
>you mean magnetic,
He probably meant mechanical since the BMS has to interface with a safety on the firearm, which is a mechanical system.
>>
>>29479236
bye nerd
>>
>>29477731
>>29477939
I would be laughing more at this if it was not for the possibility of this becoming a reality within my life time
>>
File: 1449267988144.gif (3 MB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
1449267988144.gif
3 MB, 280x200
>>29478386
>>
>>29478997
Holy shit, you cannot be serious.
>>
>Wearing gloves because its 11F out
>can't use gun
>burn or cut hand
>can't use gun
>Hold on criminal scum, let me unlock my gun first so I can use it to defend myself
>gun is rendered inoperable if system fails
>implying anyone is going to get my gun and try to shoot me with it in the first place
>implying I'm irresponsible enough to leave my gun lying around for others to pick up and have accidents/negligence with.
>>
>>29479218
>electronic records for the armorer
I think we already have this in the Swedish army, or developing it, it's a very basic piece hidden in the AK5, you use a magnetic reader to see the roundcount.
That's it, it's just for the armorer's convenience.
>>
>>29479371
What this guy said
The main scenario that smart guns are designed to avoid can also be avoided with proper training, situational awareness, and fucking responsibility
>>
>>29479371
>implying anyone is going to get my gun and try to shoot me with it in the first place
I could, and I'm only partially weapons trained
>>
>>29477412
Fuck that shit. I maintain a small arms locker so I can quickly arm my family and any friends who are nearby if shit goes down.

Smartguns are only good for those surrounded by utter incompetents.
>>
>>29479381
This, firearms related accidents have seen year after year declines

Armtaix iP1 is the prime example of everything wrong with "smart" guns. Lets run down the list. The electronics are so fragile you can only use sub-sonic .22, it's stupid pricey, and it relies on an RFID watch. Anything that runs off wireless/NFC/RFID that defaults to no-fire when it doesn't get a signal is already doomed because it's trivial to jam such signals. Oh, and it has a built-in remote kill-switch, which Armatix has a patent on for reasons.

NRA's actual review goes into more details
http://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2015/11/12/exclusive-we-test-the-armatix-ip1-the-not-so-smart-gun/

>required a full 20 minutes to pair with the watch
>minimum of seven push-button commands and a duration of 12 seconds before the gun can be fired.
>best our experts could manage was nine consecutive rounds without a failure to fire (10+1 Capacity)
>the worst double-action trigger we’ve ever tested
>The design of the Armatix’s hammer prevents it from being safely thumbed forward

So not only does it obviously fail any standard for what would be considered a reasonable firearm, it fails every tech standard as well. Firstly being able to use the fucking thing, and second actually working in the first place. The iP1 in my opinion is the single best example of a failed product that was created only to push a holophobe agenda. That person who wrote NJ's bill finally admitted that her bill was shit after they got BTFO in court, but then still turned around and blamed the big-bad NRA boogeyman for, something. The CEO of Armatik cost the company millions and was terminated from his position in fact. It's also telling that Armatik received funding from UN-based NGOs that specifically call for civilian disarmament, as well as the fact the iP1 somehow made it onto the CA DOJ's roster of handguns "proven not unsafe" without microstamping after the cut off date set by the AG.
>>
It wouldn't have much of a point.

I think a lot of the push for these things comes from action movies, where the hero gets into 57 gunfights over the course of a week. Gunfights that happen indoors, where his opponents often try to fight him hand to hand, and thus occasionally getting his gun. You will never have to do this unless you're fighting the secret service.

Now, it might keep your gun from being used on you immediately after its stolen from you, say, by the girlfriend you just broke up with because she cheated on you because she knows the code to your quick access box. But if the gun is locked with biometrics, she can probably get that reset at any gun store or if all else fails by hacking the thing (it'll probably use a phone USB socket). If its locked by the absence of another device, like a watch, she can steal that, too, or if its your phone, use her own phone instead.

Same goes for burglars. They don't even care about their guns being legal, so they'll probably take the "smart" parts off the gun and install parts that keep it unlocked, or they'll just modify the "smart" parts so that they're always unlocked. There's no way to prevent this.
>>
>>29477412
an infringement
>>
I think that SmartGunâ„¢ technology could be a good thing, but I don't think the technology is nearly good enough for it to be incorporated widely.

I also strongly oppose any legislation that would require the use of smart technology on guns.
>>
>>29478818
The effort in designing guns unnecessarily complicated for a simple but important task isn't worth it, especially if you're worried about concealed carriers and cops having their guns seized by a threat. That is so rare, life isn't like the cop dramas you watch on TV you dumb faggot.
>>
>>29477412
>ill take "solution to a problem nobody ever had" for 100, alex
>>
>>29477412
backdoor gun control.

but it will need a mechanical component to actually lock the gun and that could be removed with a file or dremel.
>>
I don't know about anyone else but I honestly just don't want to have to dick around with anything other than a manual safety.
That's besides all of the millions of guns without that crap built in.
>>
>>29478365
why not cars. BOOM no more auto theft.
>>
>>29478412
Also teach your kids to respect guns as deadly weapons, helps prevent accidents.
that was something we used to do.
>>
>>29480619
Tried bringing up breathalyzer starts being mandatory on all cars to a liberal who wanted fingerprint scanners on all guns. As usual I ended up getting called a child hating misogynist. There's no arguing with them
>>
>>29477654

So these systems will be flawless as long as the people developing them, building them, maintaining them, and using them are infallible übermensch?

Scintillating.
>>
>>29477412
considering the $2000 a pop biometric timeclocks my last job installed could barely get a 30% match between my two signup scans, took on average 2-4 times to clock in successfully, and didn't work with sweaty or dirty fingers I'd say fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

If colt and s&w couldn't make a RFID smartgun that didn't break itself on the first shot for police, why would I trust one made by a fly by night liberal startup hoping to make a buck on Jim Crow legislation?
>>
>>29477507
No, it's yet another Politically correct way to disarm niggers
>why of course you can buy a gun tyrone
>oh not that one ($150 pardner pump) it's not "safe"
>but you can buy this one (2-5000 dollarydoo "smartgun" in man stopping .22lr the size of a brick with a high capacity 7 round fixed magizine)

IE business as usual for the "progressive" dems
>>
>>29479259
underrated
>>
File: 1458443337746.jpg (133 KB, 941x633) Image search: [Google]
1458443337746.jpg
133 KB, 941x633
>>29477414
That is literally the first thought anyone should have when shown something like this.

When it's your life that's in danger you don't want anything to go wrong at all. You don't even want a chance of something going wrong.
>>
>>29477708
If someone can hit you with an EMP that can fuck your smartgun they can hit you with an explosion that can kill you.
>>
>>29477677
I never understood this part of the movie. The guy goes "I have always wanted one of these" and he doesn't know they are set to only work for judges? Like, how could he NOT know that?

Also is that the magzine in the front there? I mean you can clearly see the upper action on it so it has about an inch of barrel before hitting that muzzle/compensator thingy in the front.

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT GUN WORK.
>>
>>29481402
maybe it's like a gyrojet so it doesn't need a long barrel at all
>>
>>29481402
>how does it work
pretty sure it's a gyrojet/bolter type thing with all the fancy programmable bullets. You don't need a barrel when it shoots small target tracking missiles.
>>
>>29481402
Either it is so it looks cool or the rounds feed rearward so they can primed for variable lethality in the area near the screen. That foreward mag could also be HE and the grip has normal boolits.
>>
>>29480973
and if it doesn't work your death is your own fault for being an evil gun owning untermensch. All you had to do was change the batteries, not wear gloves, not have sweat on your fingers, not have kept it in a humid or hot environment (like a car glovebox or IWB holster), not test fire it because recoil force damages the sensitive electronics, not...
>>
>>29481432
>gyrojet
Ok I just looked that up cus I have no idea what that is. It just poops out it's little self propelled ammo that probably has some sort of tracking on the inside.

So why does it need to be so big? is that front magazine the only thing you need? Does that basically contain a bunch of mini rockets? There's the ejector but you wouldn't be ejecting any cases. Does that mag hold all the different types of ammo or does it just hold the propellant and there is another mag that holds the warhead of the rocket/missile/bullet thing?

I need to know how this gun works alright.
>>
>>29481536
the answer you're looking for but not the one you want is
>it's a prop gun for the live action 2012 shitheap Judge Dredd reboot that managed to be worse than the Stallone movie.
>>
>>29481589
fuck you I actually liked Dredd. A simple action movie that didn't try to be more than it was. Dredd never takes off his helmet and the girl was fucking adorable.

But the gun right. The bullets would have to have their own navigation since there is no twist to the barrel. Also in the movie the bullets come out at incredibly speeds unlike the real gyrojet guns which means there would still be recoil and....
>>
>>29481589
>shit show

Woah, slow down thug, that movie was one of the better action films that year.
>>
>>29477412
Stupid people with stupid ideas
>>
>>29478564
>almost no issues
>almost
>>
>>29479374
Certain HK's have an RFID chip for that as well (it caused people to freak out thinking that the gvt was tracking them, but they were just originally intended for LEO/military sale, but ended up on the civilian market), but its really rudimentary and mostly unused.
>>
>>29481589

I go to action movies to see tits, weapons, and people fucking dying.

Dredd delivered.

Fuck you, commie.
>>
File: Quote Smart Guns.jpg (270 KB, 921x669) Image search: [Google]
Quote Smart Guns.jpg
270 KB, 921x669
If smart guns are so great, feel free to issue them to the entire polic and military force.
>>
>>29478834
OK we agree, 'smart guns' are great. Go ahead and outfit your security detail with them, along with the entire military and police.

As lowly civilians, we don't deserve such wonderful weapons as 'smart guns' only the important government forces should get them, like machine-guns and AP.
>>
I don't have or want a single gun that has or will only ever be used by me alone.

It is a stupid pointless idea that does nothing but introduce further complications and possible failure points into something that your life may depent on.

There is no reason for anyone to want this forced on people other than government to control.
>>
>install some finicky piece of shit plastic locking device that breaks every 3rd time you rack the slide
>can't buy a repair kit so you have to mail it back to the company
>for a hefty fee of course
Fuck, that's brilliant. Whoever's behind it could make billions.
>>
>>29478420
How does "muh self defense" have anything to do with a bubba who doesn't religiously check if his gun is loaded every time he picks it up?
>>
File: airbust.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
airbust.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>29477412
I'm less interested in biometric safeties as I am with technologies that would allow firing interesting types of munitions.
>>
File: trackingpoint.jpg (110 KB, 1265x710) Image search: [Google]
trackingpoint.jpg
110 KB, 1265x710
>>29485567
there's also the so-called "precision-guided" firearms by companies like tracking point, which basically gives you a hud
>>
>>29485567
I'm no expert, but I feel like 7.62 x .39 is a little small for an effective air burst round, let alone an explosion of that size. Cool movie otherwise though.
>>
File: 1453872145473.jpg (66 KB, 364x720) Image search: [Google]
1453872145473.jpg
66 KB, 364x720
>>29485567

expand dong

>>29485632
It's the fucking future where you have a space jewtopia with magical fax machines that cure cancer you autistic sperg
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 527x406) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 527x406
>>29477412
Until we have organic weapons, like that gun from half life. This is doom to fail.

A pet gun is only way to go. I doubt a hacker or some faggot can persuade your pet gun to work...

We are not technology cybrrpunk to make it work those faggots who push this have no idea how shit works. They like to be an idea guy and demand respect? Fuck you.
>>
>>29477939
You can't sue if your dead bro, it was a glitch.
>>
>>29485632
This is a movie in which a shoulder-fired missile the size of an apple can reach high earth orbit and intercept outgoing spaceships.
>>
>A single failure will result in your weapon being inoperable
>Will ad tremendous costs to the weapon
>It will be easy as fuck to remove the electronics to make the weapon normal
>>
File: 1434140158063_1_.jpg (297 KB, 1110x684) Image search: [Google]
1434140158063_1_.jpg
297 KB, 1110x684
>>29481357
By that logic, why even use a gun to defend yourself? Guns, regardless of condition or quality are composed of moving parts. And moving parts don't work all the time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeHgrf5z4C0#t=4m45s
great idea
>>
>>29477412
100% bad idea a smart american would never buy one.
>>
File: 1459490979049.jpg (31 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
1459490979049.jpg
31 KB, 500x273
>>29477654
>I don't understand how fucking finicky and impercise biometric identification is, the post.

And I bet you know how to make a DDOS program in Visual Basic in only 3 days, don't you? I can tell by how little understanding you have of computer science.
>>
>>29485977

Generally speaking I agree with your argument; except that regardless of specific reliability, one more potential source of failure IS one more potential source of failure.

Nevertheless, one could reasonably argue that the trade-off of very low malfunction risk (which I have no trouble believing is attainable) for improved firearm security is worth it. Still, I personally would rather not deal with this sort of feature. It's a potential inconvenience if nothing else.

Perhaps individual firearm owners who cohabit with high-risk persons (such as the Newtown faggot) could be compelled to purchase firearms with such security features.
>>
>>29486106
Just use command line or type it into note pad and save the command line argument as a .bat file. Also im not the guy you posted to.
>>
>>29486214
>Just use command line or type it into note pad and save the command line argument as a .bat file
I was calling him a script kiddie who is trying to act cool by showing off his amazing computer skillz, but ends up just making an ass of himself.
>>
>>29486247
I know I was just being an ass. :)
>>
>>29486214
Now you've got me fucking salty.

You don't have a better strategy for a distributed denial of service attack than to use the fucking Ping.exe program Windows provides?

If you could at least craft custom packets on a Windows machine you might could find a way to exploit the remote system, but alas that hasn't been possible since Windows XP or possibly before.

If you faggots mean Denial Of Service, then say "DOS" instead of "DDOS". Because if you want to DDOS you can just rent 10 servers in a foreign country for $50 in buttcoin/prepaid cards, then use those to send junk data to an IP. With a Windows machine you are very fucking limited in your DOS'ing capability.
>>
>>29486447
>If you faggots mean Denial Of Service, then say "DOS" instead of "DDOS"
Shut the fuck up. I was making fun of the little shit, you faggot.
>>
>>29486479
suck my salty balls!
>>
>>29486447
Wouldn't waste my time with so crude and pointless attack. Nor would I trust my money to people in a foreign nation. There are better ways to get at things.
>>
>>29486487
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNYXgV7L-c
>>
All this talk about the future and nobody brings up the best smartgun: M56 from Aliens. It's smart as in it can be set to track movement, none of that fingerprint/ring/watch bullshit.
>>
>>29486560
As long as the firing mechanism is not affected by the computer, /k/ doesn't give a shit.
>>
File: 1449107274982.jpg (10 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
1449107274982.jpg
10 KB, 252x244
>>29477654
>I'm a dumb nigger

that's all i got out of that fampai
>>
>>29486601
Yeah, the auto-targeting can be turned off to allow for manual shooting. On the false 'smart'guns, if anything goes wrong it won't let anyone(including the user who probably needs to) shoot it.
>>
>>29477412
>Backdoors.
Fuck that noise.
>>
>>29479236
>GET YOUR OWN SOURCES I SAID SHIT SO YOU SOURCE IT FOR ME
it doesn't work that way kiddo i'm not going to look for information reinforcing your claim, thats your job.

>magnetic
oh you're going to power a solenoid for years on a watch battery?
you have to be 12 and completely lacking real knowledge on the subject. get fuck friendo
>>
>>29486517
kek

go build your botnet then, I'll wait
>>
>>29477412
I think it could be bypassed in minutes
>>
>>29477412
>Be shit tear USofA
>Be feeling that Bern
>Be bent over and roughly fucked by Hill-dog
>Be fucked by whomever wins this election
>Gun laws passed now incredibly illegal to even touch one
>house raids, hundreds of citizens killed by cops
>riots
>standing militias all over the place
>Civil War 2.0
>All of DC has been impaled by 7 foot long xxxxxxl dragon dildos
>vlad the impaler.jpg
>new laws passed by lib-tards now require electronic finger print scanners
>China launches eps before invasion
>enter REDDAWN.EXE
>this is how /k went to war.
>>
>>29477416
/thread
>>
>>29477414
Only on paper. They've already figured that out. You act like product testing doesn't exist and it goes straight to market
>>
>>29481402
>I never understood this part of the movie. The guy goes "I have always wanted one of these" and he doesn't know they are set to only work for judges? Like, how could he NOT know that?

Crooks in Judge Dredd are kind of fucking stupid.
Really, everyone in Megacity-1 is stupid, that's part of the humor.
>>
>>29477412
What if someone else needs to use my gun?
What if I've got dirt, blood, cum, etc on my finger, or a cut on my finger and it won't detect my finger print?
What if the battery runs out, either in the gun or in some gay fucking braclet I need to wear in order for it to work?
What if I loose said gay braclet?
What if it can be hacked, tracked or remotely disabled in some way, either by the government or by criminals?
What if EMP?
What if governments pass laws mandating all civilian guns have this shit on them (and it will only be civilian guns, military, law enforcement and other agents of the state will of course by given special exemptions meaning they are not subject to this shit for the reasons mentioned above even though the govement will tell civilians that it is essentual for safety).
and if criminals, mass shooters, terrorists, etc do steel or smuggle smart guns they will just find a way to rip the electronic bullshit out and use them anyway.
>>
>>29478292
dude you are soooo fucking smart
>>
>>29478564
why do you think people have back up sights
>>
File: idiot sandwich.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
idiot sandwich.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>29477654
>A (correctly setup and maintained) digital system will never ever fail

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35553749
>>
We Guns of the Patriots now.
>>
File: dumbpistol.png (54 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
dumbpistol.png
54 KB, 200x200
>>29478602
>Buy Smartgun from magnum research.
>jailbreak after two mags
>now have a dumbgun
>>
>>29485567
why does he flinch so much when firing? kinda ruins the scene
>>
>>29487988
He's a random guy who isn't used to the full retard switch would be my guess.
>>
>>29478564
I work at a kroger as well and those Pieces of shit break down on a regular basis
>>
>>29487982
nice airshit
>>
>>29477654
>guys, it won't break unless it's parts break or it was developed incorrectly
Oh, thanks, now I feel better
>>
Haven't virtually ALL weapons legislations and mandates served to inconvenience law abiding citizens much more than criminals?

Always?
>>
>>29477695
Great idea anon, fill a fucking combustion chamber that heats hundreds of degrees in a matter of seconds with fucking rubber. Friction? Fuck friction. And cover the ejection port with rubber too. Fuck it.
>>
>>29488076
It's from a stupid facebook game. Tried to find something that looked "futuristic". I laughed when I realized that it had BB's in the mag.

I tried paintball once. But I think airshit's too expensive for anything relatively fun for me to try it. Same with paintball really.
>>
>>29487982
It's funny because you could probably find a used Deagle in good shape for the price of the Armatix hunk of shit, and it'd be better in every way.
I'm not joking when I'm saying a Deagle is a better defensive weapon, and I'm the kind of person who will tell you to look at it's strengths as a sporting/hunting/recreational weapon, to not look at it as a sidearm.

I mean seriously, how can a gun cost 1800bux and be so terrible at everything? The Armatix supposedly can only handle subsonics.
>>
Systems designed to make carry guns less likely to be used by an assailant, like magazine disconnect safeties are usually loathed in actual use.

Carry aside, 100% of the issues trying to be solved by a smartgun are solved by a a mechanical lock (and people hate that on smiths) a decent safe or in the case of kids a cable lock and healthy fear of adults.

If say tyrone, the huge irish gangbanger, got his filthy pale hands on your smartgun he'd just factory reboot it or have a smarter teenager jailbreak it for him over a weekend before his next robbery.
>>
A gun will remain no obsolete for defensive use for like 70 years with a bit of maintenance.

Electronics are market obsolete in 2, and pretty unusable in 15.
>>
File: BSOD.png (2 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
BSOD.png
2 KB, 640x400
>Be 3 a.m.
>*CRASH*
>(Home invasion intensifies)
>Grab gun
>See pic related
>Anon is kill
>No
>>
>>29487918
Much like with clinical trials vs. clinical application in medicine, issues and problems always come up in real life situations outside of controlled testing.
>>
>>29488364
>magazine disconnect
kek, and every gun with a mag disconnect I've owned has had the disconnect break
>>29479170
it's a retarded idea.
it's the worst of ideas.
seriously.
Look at the walther PPS. everyone with a bit of sense will tell you not to fuck with the backstraps because that safety deactivation mechanism depends on a little tab of polymer to be seated right.
if you're worried about someone using your gun, LOCK YOUR FUCKING GUNS UP. You don't need a fucking fingerprint scanner on your gun to be safe.
Gentle reminder as well that the entire smart-gun idea was generated as an attempt to kill third-party and private sales of firearms.
>>
>>29477754
>>29477803
So that's why pacemakers and other medical devices literally keeping their users alive contain no electronics and work entirely mechanically, right?

Or why mechanical watches are so much more trustworthy in critical use applications than digital ones?

There are plenty of philosophical and practical reasons smart guns are a dumb idea, but the reliability of electronic systems is not one of them.
>>
>>29488871
As a cardiovascular pathologist, your argument is retarded.
ventricular assist devices last for about 9 months.
Pacemakers are nowhere near as reliable as you claim:
http://lifeinthefastlane.com/ecg-library/pacemaker-malfunction/
every time we get a VAD or pacemaker case, the COD is almost always VAD failure, the VAD not pumping right and thrombosing, or pacemaker-related V-tach, V-fib, or bradycardia inducing a thrombus or plaque rupture.

you're not replacing a component in the action of the firearm with a more reliable electronic version - you're complicating the mechanism with an additional point of failure. hence why most duty firearms have only decockers and no magazine disconnect.

so put simply, fuck you, the technology's not there yet. I'm not trusting that shit in a situation where five seconds is the difference between alive and dead.
>>
>>29477412
dumbest idea ever, take it from someone that works in the tech industry and has a very good understanding about how electronics work. Either the bit error checking capability is non existent or it wouldn't fit in the firearm so the probability something bad will happen is extremely high
tl;dr no bit correction = disaster
>>
>>29487918
this isn't some perfect world man. the fact of the matter is: the more complicated a system is, the more unpredictable it becomes. it doesn't matter how much testing you do, you can never test it in absolutely every situation that will pop up for it in the field. it works where they want it i'll admit, others can't use it without being added to its list, however i don't care if my 3 year old can't use it when i have some dick with a knife bearing down on me for my wallet, i want to know that when i pull the trigger it fires. and if i'm in a dusty area or just finished working on something messy i don't want it to fail because it can't tell its me holding it.

remember tech is actually very very dumb, and uncaring. it isn't looking for shades of grey, it wants exactly the input it was told for the desired output
>>
Are there any revoovers with such shit features? I bet there aren't.
>>
File: john mcaffee.jpg (159 KB, 652x367) Image search: [Google]
john mcaffee.jpg
159 KB, 652x367
>>29487911
You can always hope that McAffee wins
>abolish all gun control laws
>abolish all substance control laws
>disband the NSA
>>
File: 1456579718246.jpg (226 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
1456579718246.jpg
226 KB, 1280x688
>>29477412
>mfw nobody has posted smartgun
Smartgun bestgun
>>
File: srsly.jpg (163 KB, 500x638) Image search: [Google]
srsly.jpg
163 KB, 500x638
>>29477506
Assuming the tech gets to be completely perfect and fail proof (it won't), and that the bio reader works 100% of the time (mfw ten attempts at the fingerprint scanner at work), something that didn't need a power source now requires one, and you need to make space within the gun to fit said electronics leading shit to become hi point sized, for less benefit than training and safe handling
>>
>>29477654
Points of failure:
>Biometrics system
>Everything that can't stand the recoil
>Anything that isn't water proof
>Battery life
>Whatever motor is needed to remove whatever safety prevents the firearm from operating

You forget about that last part, don't you? In and of itself a motor introduces a few extra moving parts (at least), and since it needs to be small, and waterproof, and withstand thousands of rounds of recoil, it's probably unicorn technology.

Biometrics alone are a shit enough reason these wouldn't work. How well does your phone's biometrics work? How quickly does it unlock? What about if your grip isn't spot on? What if your finger is wet, like it could be from sweat due to the stress of a situation?

>then use a watch that operates on RF, derr

Yeah, cause now we need a second point of failure that multiplies almost all the ones that need to be on the gun, too. Then it introduces a new one with RF as well. Believe it or not you can find yourself in places where RF signals work like shit because the frequencies are overloaded.

>>29477654
>you cant speak shit about electronics
Uh huh. Not that all of what you're saying is false, but you fail to grasp EVERY OTHER ASPECT of the concept.

>TL;DR
You're a tremendous faggot
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: 951.gif (65 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
951.gif
65 KB, 400x296
>>29477412
Who in the hell put those shitty grips on a Sig 1911 Tacops?

Also, wouldn't a gun beat the sensors to death in a few hundred rounds?
>>
>>29488871
>Or why mechanical watches are so much more trustworthy in critical use applications than digital ones?
Uh, yes, they actually are.
>>
File: casio-g-shock-dw5600e-review.png (629 KB, 1078x605) Image search: [Google]
casio-g-shock-dw5600e-review.png
629 KB, 1078x605
>>29493842
Casio would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>29479087
Go away Obama
>>
>>29488720
Blue Spell of Destruction?
>>
>>29477412
Smart guns, but the users are still dumb.
>>
here's why smartguns fucking suck;
>bring friend shooting
>they're noguns but would like to learn and shoot
>say they'd like to try my SigSmart 1911
>hand it to him and show him everything about use
>he pulls trigger
>BEEPBEEEPBEEEP
>UNAUTHORIZED USER DETECTED
>PAY THE $50 SIGSMART AUTHORIZATION FEE TO HAVE NEW USERS
>FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN LAW ENFORCEMENT BEING DISPATCHED
>shitshitshit
>take back the gun just as RO walks in and starts chewing my head off
>cops come
>get arrested
>range shut down for 2 weeks
>>
File: nice weapon keep it no charge.png (244 KB, 663x683) Image search: [Google]
nice weapon keep it no charge.png
244 KB, 663x683
>>29477412
Drebin would be proud. Speaking of Drebin...

"Fistfucking Moose was from the war-torn country of Detroit, Michigan. Her town was invaded by soldiers when she was a small child. They captured her and made her watch all seasons of Lost by herself and her family while Fistfucking. Then they played a round of Sorry with her and left her for dead. Out of nowhere a Moose came in and killed the soldiers by fucking their mouths with its hooves them. After the soldiers, it killed some pregnant women. She tried to stop it but the Moose was unstoppable. The thing was, though... there was no Moose. She was consumed by her Fistfucking. Fighting you cleansed her soul and quadriceps, Snake. "
>>
File: Image.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>29494253
>Blue Spell of Destruction
>>
The her durr what if some one wrestles the weapon from you? argument can be counter with a pistol that has a mag disconnect (like my Beretta) in that situation drop mag before the weapon gets taken from you and the home theft problem is solved via a good quality gun safe bolted to the floor so in my option adding more complexity to a weapon and making it harder to get ready in a life or death situation is pointless
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.