[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Maverick 88 vs Defender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 650x488
i am about to get my first shotty. Right now I am leaning towards a new maverick 88 or a used Winchester defender for $212. I really like the full tube and wood furniture on the defender but i want to know if that is a decent price? Looks like one in pick.
>>
>>29477212
any good condition pump going for < 300 bucks is worth it. I dig the look of that Winchester too, definitely worth grabbing, especially if the Maveric's just the pistol-gripped one.
>>
>>29477212
You're a fucking moron if you don't get the defender.
and if you don't take good care of it, I'll find you and say mean things to you.
>>
>>29477212
Where is the defender for sale at?
>>
Dude the defender is a MUCH better gun than the 88
>>
>>29477258
Please respond
>>
>>29477253
>>29477258
I thought so. Gonna go snag that thing
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 499x499
>>29477281
>>29477258
lgs
>>
File: wm_3860726.jpg (716 KB, 3490x1101) Image search: [Google]
wm_3860726.jpg
716 KB, 3490x1101
What about the Rock Island M5? Any opinions are welcome.
>>
>>29477449
If I were going to get a pump action for fighting, my choices would be:
1. Mossberg 590a1
2. Winchester Defender
3. Winchester SXP with appropriate options
4. Model 1897 Trench Gun Clone
5. Remington 887 tactical
In that order; love me some Winchester but the 590a1 is absolutely the premier fighting pump action.
>>
>>29479150
That's funny, pretty much every old timer who has used those Winchesters in any official capacity fucking hates them. Apparently they weren't very durable at all.
>>
How about Mossberg 500's?
>>
>>29479900
They really weren't. If you beat on them they wear very quickly. The golden lining there is that the internals & barrel setups are very easy to replace.
>>
>>29477449
I've long wondered about these as well. Being Armscor you have to assume some of the parts are MIM, but which?
>>
>>29479919
You could do worse. the Mav88 is a cheaper clone of the 500 if that interests you.
>>
>>29479927
MIM isn't necessarily as bad as it once was. Ruger does a very good job with it, imo.
>>
>>29479919
500's are nice because there's nothing you can break that you can't replace. Most parts swap between the 88 and the 500 with no problems, barrels included, meaning there's a plethora of spares for not too much. I actually fixed a 70's era 500 with a Maverick bolt carrier, and it worked like a champ. That being said, they rattle, and have a tendency to eat their extractors (which isn't too bad, considering it has two of them).
>>
>>29479952
To be really fair, Ruger has been spending years actually refining their MIM process. Armscor, on the other hand, I truly doubt has done anything but aped the rest of the industry, with no R&D of their own. I've actually really wanted to get my hands on one of those shotguns, but I haven't heard anything, and I don't see a lot of them being sold, which kind of makes me wonder.
>>
File: Untitled (28).jpg (651 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Untitled (28).jpg
651 KB, 1440x2560
M88 is fine.
>>
>>29479900
>>29479925
I'm an oldfag. The first gun I ever got was a 1300 that my father gave me when I turned 13. I've had that gun for a very long time and done much trap shooting with it. I didn't maintain it properly at first either.
It still works fine and has never had an issue. The rotating locking bolt, similar to an AR is awesome. It takes all the pressure off the receiver and puts it in the barrel where it belongs.

What you are saying is people talking out their ass. The model 12, btw, also happens to be considered a "tank" by pretty much anyone who knows anything about guns.

My model 1897 is over 70 years old and functions flawlessly.

My Turkish made SXP (not a gun I would consider a "real" Winchester) has not had any problems.

Meanwhile, every 870 made in the last 20 years breaks immediately.

>tl:dr You speak in ignorance.
>>
>>29480023
The RIA M5 is actually a pattern Armscor's been making for some time now. They made it before they even became armscor, back when they were still Squires Bingham.
I believe they came in under a few names, K-mart among them. they might have even been imported as hi standards (as they bought the pattern for it from them, it's pretty much a blueprinted flite king)
That said, I think they've had more then enough time to refine their production techniques
>>
>>29477449
I've got one. It's not bad for a beater shotgun. A bit heavy and 5 rnds is your max till numrich gets 7 rnd tubes (so never). Also the mag tube is made of soft metal that deforms easily, not a huge problem, fixed mine with an impact socket.
haven't had a problem with it though i haven't shot it much (<100). The slide is buttery smooth and feels sexy to work. All that said, there are definitely better shotguns, but for an all metal shotgun (save the furniture) its the only option at that price.
>>
>>29477449
If you're taking any opinion:

I've never owned a Rock Island shotgun, but my buddies Rock Island 1911 was the most useless piece of shit. It wouldn't cycle rounds correctly, and half the time it did it wouldn't set off the rounds because the spring for pin/hammer wasn't strong enough or some shit like that. He put $300 into it at a gunsmith with no results before he basically gave it away at a gunshow.

I have no idea if that's a common thing in Rock Island gear, but I wouldn't chance it.
>>
>>29481560
http://www.gunnuts.net/2016/04/01/rock-island-armory-ultra-fs-9mm-1911-review/

Was your friend's an older model? I really wanna like RIA but there's so many conflicting reviews on the internet it makes you want to spend a a hundred or two more for something else, just in case.
>>
>>29481560
your friends a retard for not just using the warranty or his gunsmiths a hack.
any legit 1911 gunsmith refuses to work on ria or will attempt to dissuade the owner cause its a waste of time and effort to upgrade a budget gun. a hack on the other hand will happily do whatever mods the customer asks as long as they get paid.
>>29481729
ria makes utilitarian 1911s if they dont work its usually mag related on the off chance its actually fucked from the factory ria will basically bend over backwards to get you a working gun or a refund. you will be out some shipping costs but thats life.
the only reason they would refuse to fix is if you fucked it up yourself
>>
>>29477212
DEFENDER
>>
>>29482346
Or his gunsmith isnt a cuck. Who turns down work because "its not worth it for the customer"
>>
>>29482369
I broke the spring on my no name double barrel and he told me that unless it has enough value for me to sink 150 bucks for him to fabricate a spring no to bother of just make my own.

Still sitting in my attic for repairs.
>>
>>29482369
all the good 1911 smiths are backed up for months anyways
>>
>>29482437
For just polishing,, new springs and some basic fitting /tuning your average gunsmith should be able to so it. For competition levels, yes youwill spend a lot of money and time.
>>
>>29482461
if someone comes to you with a broken 1911 thats worth 300-400 bucks used and you get the guy to spend 300 repairing it you know youve found a sucker
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.