[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a 1911
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-04-03 09.56.22.png (2 MB, 1421x956) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-03 09.56.22.png
2 MB, 1421x956
Has anyone here ever built themselves a 1911? I've fallen in love with the idea of building my own but looking for more input before I commit to it. I understand that fitting the parts to eachother is what it's all about. Any advice on the matter is appreciated.
>>
Parts can be loosely fit and the gun will still work, and it will actually be more reliable from the loose fit.

How many thousands of parts interchangeable 1911s were made to mil spec? I can't recall.

The fit was so loose the slide rattle was worse than most people within this generation will never know.
>>
>>29477065
Do you think this is something an amateur with time and patience could handle?
>>
>>29477128
Maybe, if you go out and buy a gunsmiths file set, an anchored bench clamp and other gunsmithing tools. I looked into it once and the cost of the tools plus the parts to build made it cost as much as a les baer
>>
File: Pistol_Auto-Ordnance-1911.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Pistol_Auto-Ordnance-1911.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>29477045
I built this one on a new Auto Ordnance frame. It was a 100% frame, so I had to order it through an ffl. Everything else was GI surplus. I spent considerable time fitting slide and frame. Used a vise, stones, files and valve lapping compound until the slide was not sloppy but would slide easy. The rest of the parts especially barrel, and link require careful fitting or the access to lots of parts to try for proper fit. I prowled gun shows looking for just the right parts that fit with minimum work. Kind of empirical gun building. That wouldn't be as easy to do now, surplus GI parts have started to dry up. When I did this one, you could find tables with coffee cans full of hammers or safety levers.
>>
>>29478211
Before anyone hurr durrs "wrong trigger",that was intentional. It fit my hand better.
>>
>>29478226
It's what makes it yours!
>>
>>29477045
Look to the Philippians islands, they make them using templates, files and a welder. 240 hours per gun with only shit their files, so maybe 160 hours with goods ones.
>>
>>29477128

Honestly you could probably get away with using lost wax casting and brass/bronze for everything except the barrel.

You could probably cast a bronze/brass barrel but you'd probably want to make it thicker and modify the design to accommodate it.
>>
>>29477045
I've looked into it, but it's a big deal and I just don't have the drive to build one from scratch. I've done some minor fitting, trigger "improvements," etc, but the frame to slide is out of my league. There are some awesome vids on the jewtube that you will want to check out.
>>
>>29477045
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/stealth-arms-1911-80-partial-lower-receiver-jig-kit?a=1747832

you need a drill press, some bits including a keyseat cutter, fine files, lapping compound and a rubber mallet.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911autobuildkitlessframe.aspx

these come back in stock once every other month and sell out within a day or two just email them, easily best deal for the money

>>29477778
not true

>>29479143
>>29479203
there are 80s out there
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.