[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do infantry and other combat arms have to wear ear and eye protection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 1419554865948.jpg (229 KB, 2048x1224) Image search: [Google]
1419554865948.jpg
229 KB, 2048x1224
Do infantry and other combat arms have to wear ear and eye protection in combat? If so, how do their earplugs affect their ability to hear and listen to combat?
>>
>>29473447
>ear
No.
>eye
Yes.
>earplugs
They don't use anything. If you're an OPERATOR you get to wear $1,000+ head sets that pull double duty as commo and ear pro.
>>
>Do infantry and other combat arms have to wear ear and eye protection in combat?
The smart ones do
>If so, how do their earplugs affect their ability to hear and listen to combat?
Put some on, turn the tv up and try converse with someone across the room. Thats how.
>>
>>29473477
if they're constantly yelling doesn't that compromise their ability to stay concealed
>>
>ear protection
not required but that's why they dont pay for tinnitus

>eye
of course thats why you get Oakley™ brand Oakley™s

>effect on combat
well the ones with earplugs cant hear anything due to the earplugs, and the ones without cant hear due to ruptured eardrums, so it doesnt matter
>>
>>29473492
Concealed from what? Most engagements take place over 200m+ and guns are louder than voices.
>>
>>29473447
Eye pro almost always, ear pro almost never unless you have Peltors or some other kind of electronic ear pro.

>how does ear pro affect your hearing in combat?
A lot less then
>EEEEEEEEEEEEE
but most people aren't going to take the time to put it on once shooting starts.

If you've got electronic ear pro though it's awesome. You can wear it all the time and doesn't affect your hearing, it also carries all your radio traffic.
>>
File: Combat Ear plugs.jpg (171 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Combat Ear plugs.jpg
171 KB, 600x600
I use these while shooting.
Yellow side would have a hole that you would face forward so that you can hear, and would block out certain decibels at times like shooting.
Green side would be for continuous loud noises, like working around loud machines.
>>
It seems EEEEEEEEE will effect your hearing ability to hear in combat more than plugs. I seriously don't understand why everyone doesn't wear plugs.
>>
>>29473447
> have to
unless your unit is ridiculously regi, most standing orders that are used when in country, go out the window on deployment

>>29474758
cant hear target indications when ear plugs are in desu
>>
>>29473492
Correct. Despite what people say most of the time it's pretty hard to work out where rounds are coming from. If they other side are yelling it helps and then you can put 40mms on them
>>
File: aktiivit.jpg (400 KB, 975x1280) Image search: [Google]
aktiivit.jpg
400 KB, 975x1280
Used these in the army, I thought all the major armies use these?
>>
Why WOULDN'T you wear ear protection? Surely hearing is kind of instrumental to doing good, both in and out of combat?

Do people who actually care about their hearing get bullied or something?
>>
Just in case there's any under-educated faggots in here:

Hearing loss of any sort is permanent.
Damage to your ears stacks
It can get noticably progressively worse
or
One day you hear that last too-loud noise and that's it, you're either half-deaf or have permanent ringing

If you're going to choose to not wear ear-pro, make sure it's for tactically sound reasons and not because you're scared of being called a faggot. Because one day we'll all be able to call you a faggot and you won't hear us.
>>
File: 1456060116553.jpg (101 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
1456060116553.jpg
101 KB, 459x612
>>29476264
If you're going to choose to not wear ear-pro, make sure it's for tactically sound reasons and not because you're scared of being called a faggot. Because one day we'll all be able to call you a faggot and you won't hear us.
>>
>>29473447
Yes to both, these days. But instead of plugs, they use "active" (electronic) earpro.

Kids who've never served tend to spew out all kinds of shit about "muh awareness!" and shit, but that's simply not true.

>>29476173
they do
>>
>>29473447
>eye protection
it's smart to use, but not required
>hearing protection
usually, unless you're on a patrol. They either use noise cancelling headset or just dont at all. I know a lot of reconnaissance soldiers who have shitty hearing because they've gone in contact without hearing protection.

a bit of a small story. A friend of mine was top cover with an M2 browning, had earplugs hanging around his neck. Went in contact and realize the earplugs had fallen into the car, he just had to shoot back. His hearing is total shit now, he also has PTSD which is kinda sad.
>>
>>29477273
I'm honestly shocked that a 40 dollar pair of electronic ear pro headsets is not standard in the military at this point.
>>
>>29476264

This so much

>be 16
>be innaside
>be at concert
>3-4 hours of nonstop rock music near center stage
>mfw permanent tinnitus in right ear and hearing loss in both

I have bitch ears, but i almost always double up on earpro because now i'm paranoid.
>>
>>29473447

ITT: children who have never worn anything but foam ear plugs while shooting daddy's .22

The military used to be really nonchalant about ear protection. Until all these soldiers started getting out and getting a shitload of disability for hearing loss.

Now they are really hard ass about ear pro. Most places SOP includes a container with ear pro hanging off the right side belt loop of your ACU pants.

With more modern ear pro you don't even need electronic stuff (though that is best) there are ear pro with a little membrane that high intensity noises actually closes. With these in things are a little dulled but voice commands still come through just fine. Also, you can make them sort of ride on the outskirts of your ear canal so you can hear normally then just push them in real quick.
>>
>>29474758
>hearing ability to hear
Christ anon, proofread for 2 seconds.
>>
>>29473447
The guys I was with had earpro they were supposed to put in, but when the shooting starts, the last thing youre thinking about is putting some little plugs in. So to this day theres the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 43643_50.jpg (254 KB, 1177x1230) Image search: [Google]
43643_50.jpg
254 KB, 1177x1230
>>29477959
the truth is, the military is/are amongst the slowest offices in the world to really upgrade their gear.

Luckily, the overall attitude towards self-purchased gear has become much more tolerant in the past decade, so as long as you don't stick out like a sore thumb from the line, you can usually improve your military life significantly. Shit like plate carriers and camelbacks would've gotten you into big trouble in late 90s/early 00s if the higher ups found out, but now all that's basic, issued stuff.

>>29478036
it's not paranoia when you're dealing with actual fucking chance of permanent damage to your visual perception capabilities. There's a reason people wear plugs to concerts nowadays.
>>
>>29476173
can confirm sweden use them
>>
>>29473447
>15$ eBay gloves
>long full hair
>shitty stance
>no trigger discipline

absolutely disgusting 2/10
>>
>>29473447
>earplugs
there are "active" ear pro designs that work quite well; there's a pair of microphones that pick up pretty much the whole range of human ear, then tone down the louder sounds (shots, explosions etc.) & amplify the weaker sounds (naturally there's volume control), some designs can also be paired with a radio.
>>
>>29473447
Would blow a load in her face.
Good looking cumdump.
Peltors, only way to go.
>>
>>29476264
>>29478036
Can confirm, I was trying to impress my friends whilst shooting shotguns when I was like 15 and now whenever I hear slightly loud or sustained noises (i.e. music) my right ear makes a fucking static sound and hurts like a bitch.

Wear your earpro you fucking faggots
>>
>>29478036
>>29481874
That's why I don't like going to concerts
>>
File: 1459035175148.png (264 KB, 500x598) Image search: [Google]
1459035175148.png
264 KB, 500x598
Would a basic Peltor electronic headset work? I'm Inna infantry and I'd like to keep my hearing. right now I just use the standard foam plugs that have half assed noise cancelation that they issue. I have money to spend but iunno what to get.
>>
>>29474704

Shit I need some of those. Nothing is more annoying to start getting instructions and have a drywaller start firing off a Hilti gun next to your face.
>>
>>29481946
They will work, but it's a bitch having them on with ACH, got to re-arrange your pads and shit.
You might be able to score some through RFI or what not, eventually.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.