[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sociopaths in combat arms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 13
File: bale bateman.jpg (85 KB, 662x442) Image search: [Google]
bale bateman.jpg
85 KB, 662x442
How far can sociopaths get in the military or law enforcement? Are they easily discovered once they get in? Have you worked under one?

I don't mean edgy fat kids who wear black and kill puppies, but folks like pic related. Most CEOs and politicians qualify as sociopaths.
>>
Pretty far I assume. They're notoriously good at faking normal human emotions but aren't affected by the difficulties associated with them.
>>
He'd be a badass if he didn't cross dress.

He dealt with personnel who felt they could progress their career by "getting cozy".
>>
>>29470623
>How far can sociopaths get in the military or law enforcement?
depends, if they are high functioning like Bateman, very far. I had a kid I was in charge of, years later I realized he was a sociopath.
>Be out of Army in school on GI Bill
>taking intro to psych because I have to
>flipping through text book one night and notice side bar
>The X traits of a sociopath
>problems with authority, but will often join the military
>extremely intelligent, but often HS drop out
>when getting into trouble can not understand why they are in trouble
on and on, word for word it was my soldier. One of only two Joes I ever recommended get an Art 15
>>
>>29470681
>On October 22, 2010, Williams was stripped of his commission, ranks, and awards by the Governor General of Canada on the recommendation of the Chief of the Defence Staff. His severance pay was terminated and the salary he received following his arrest was seized, although he is still entitled to a pension. Subsequent to his conviction, his uniform was burned, his medals were destroyed and his vehicle crushed and scrapped.
>his vehicle crushed and scrapped

That's going a bit too far.
>>
>>29470715
Jesus, what did he do?
>>
Wow this thread kinda scares me but I'm gonna act like I'm normal and this is just impulsive thoughts.
>>
I had this guy that I hit the fleet with out of SOI. He was a black guy, if that matters. He was all about that PT had a 300, was meritoriously promoted to corporal. He made it to Sgt quicker than shit. He was a major fucking asshole.

My buddy told me recently that he murdered his girlfriend a year ago in Vegas. Managed to get out on bail, then went out and shot some other bitch. That's pretty fucking psychopathic to me. Said it was in the news but I can't find it, don't remember his first name.
>>
>>29470822
I guess he didn't say sorry
>>
>>29470826
keep that mask on anon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzC_Ax3-ors
>>
>>29470623
Pop psych please go and stay go.
>>29470637
That is psychopath, not sociopath. Also, please see above.

Some people with antisocial personality disorder can do very well, but it depends on their willingness to play the game.
>>
>>29470822
>On October 21, 2010, Williams was sentenced to two life sentences for first-degree murder, two 10-year sentences for other sexual assaults, two 10-year sentences for forcible confinement, and 82 one-year sentences for breaking and entering, all to be served concurrently.

Res Ipsa Loquitur.
>>
>>29470715

He is an admitted murderer and rapist this wasn't some grey area in theater incident he was breaking into homes and raping women by his own admission. Fucking liberal Canucks should have stripped him of all badges and medals on his way to the gallows in front of a formation at his former command.

For they’re hangin’ Danny Deever, you can hear the Dead March play,
The Regiment’s in ’ollow square—they’re hangin’ him to-day;
They’ve taken of his buttons off an’ cut his stripes away,
An’ they're hangin’ Danny Deever in the mornin’.
>>
File: 1441631167022.jpg (370 KB, 737x1024) Image search: [Google]
1441631167022.jpg
370 KB, 737x1024
>>29470866
>psychopath, not sociopath.
Both are the same thing according to the DSM V, the only authority in the field. REEEEE harder.
>>
>>29470866
>That is psychopath, not sociopath

Don't accuse people of pop science when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>29470715
>his vehicle crushed and scrapped
Did they shit on his bed too?
>>
>>29470822
Raped four women and murdered two of them, Used his car to transport one of the bodies so they crushed it.
>>
>>29470988
"raped"
>>
>>29470998
>break into women's homes at night
>bind them
>rape them and take pictures

I'm sure they were asking for it
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 663x579) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 663x579
>>29470685
.....everything you described fits my personality...I need to think about this
>>
>>29470883
Yeah, which would be why I mentioned APD.
>>29470891
Knowing the terms in common use and using them as appropriate while being aware of the term used in the field. Yeah, clear display of ignorance.
>>
File: welcome_to_k.png (882 KB, 602x713) Image search: [Google]
welcome_to_k.png
882 KB, 602x713
>>29470623
>2016
>not being a Machiavellian sociopath nihilist
It's like you guys weren't forged in the fires of 4chan
>>
>>29471104
>nihilist
Whiner.
>>
>>29471104
>being a nihilist
>not being an existentialist
>>
>>29471174
>>29471190
>not coming to terms with being a meat sack made from stardust on a rock amongst trillions of rocks hurtling at thousands of miles per second through a universe larger than you can possibly contemplate that's constantly expanding into ___________.
>thinking anything really matters, beyond it being enjoyable or profitable to you/yours
Wew lad
>>
>>29471225
>not going Will to Power and becoming an Ubermench

This is exactly why your family all think you're gay.
>>
>>29470623
Antman would be the perfect super soldier because we can just drop his ass off in some durka durka land and just forget about him.

Or would be ab absolute asshole in terms of training recruits
>>
>>29470623

>>29455952

>>29465187

https://desustorage.org/k/search/username/The_Ant_Man/tripcode/%21KpuDfj7%2F2s/

I would be terrified to join if people like antman was in the military
>>
>>29471245
>>29471265
Why should this convern me?
>>
>>29470822
Basically keeping a sex slave.
>>
>>29471320
>concern

Jesus christ pleade rape my asshole
>>
>>29471337
>please

Fuck you iphone your dead to me.
>>
>>29470623

>most CEOs and politicians qualify as sociopaths

I was with you up until this point, but you sound like a dumbass who doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
>>29470681
It's not surprising.

>Two privates are at their night guard posts, shooting the shit while having a smoke.
>A voice comes up behind them "Privates, got a light? My lighter's busted."
>One private hands over his lighter. The stranger lights a cigar, and the stars on his chest flash in the dark as he does so.
>The other private realizes who this is, and they both stand at attention.
>"General, sir! We didn't realize who you were!"
>The general chuckles "At ease, soldiers. You're just lucky I'm not a Colonel."
>>
>>29470715
Good.
>>
>>29471029

You don't know what their online activities were like, anon. Maybe they literally were.
>>
>>29470685

psycho/sociopaths being extremely intelligent is a misconception. They are frequently less intelligent than the average person.

>>29471034

Make sure to keep a sheath on that edge, anon.
>>
>>29470623
Usually they go pretty far until they allow themselves to get too emotionally volatile.
In my experiences sociopathic guys get to mid level leadership positions. The guys who get to the top level leadership positions are the ones who are "Good ol' boy" types who can literally bear the burden of just doing their job for decades at a a time, and also a mix of smart but also very principled guys who can literally bear the burden of their stupid peers while working toward some greater good.

More or less, I've never actually seen sociopaths in the highest ranks, only mid level and below. They're get very volatile very quickly when having to deal with stupid leadership issues that they cannot control or manipulate to their liking. So they get to about a Staff level and start showing their cruelty without being able to keep it hidden anymore.
>>
>>29471514

Calling everyone who's aware of the fact that they're a sociopath 'edgy' is really immature. It's not cool or mysterious being one and I don't pretend that it is, it fucking sucks. I want to feel genuine love and guilt and empathy.
>>
>>29471699

>self diagnosed sociopath
Yeah, fuck off.
>>
>>29471753
Not him but fuck am I going to get it diagnosed.
I might want to join the army one day.
>>
>>29471514
>psycho/sociopaths being extremely intelligent is a misconception. They are frequently less intelligent than the average person
I'm the one that made the post you responded to. He was "intelligent" up to a point. He was a HS drop out, got his GED on his first try without studying, or so he claimed.
>>
>>29471792

Ah, okay. It kinda looked like you may have been implying that high intelligence is a classic trait.
>>
>>29471034
as long as you don't torture small animals or start fire, you should be ok. You didn't wet the bed beyond an age most people would find acceptable, did you? No wait, bed wetting is one of the signs of a serial killer
>>
>>29470623
I can tell that as grunts they won't make it, but as raid operators they have no problem. It is their nature to do anything that already gives them an advantage.
>>
>>29471805
Low intelligence is a trait of serial killers, not sociopaths. If anything sociopaths/psychopaths are savants in certain areas while feigning things like compassion when they realize it's expedient.
>>
>>29471354
>not realizing Shillary is a sociopath
>>
>>29471858

>Hillary Clinton = most CEOs and politicians
>>
>>29471779
I recommend so. Unlike others who will most likely suffer from the mental images, we might actually be unaffected by it unless its one of our closest men.
>>
>>29471034
Your very post proves you're not a sociopath.
>>
>>29471856

>sociopathy isn't a trait of serial killers
>>
>>29471190
They're not mutually incompatible.
>>
>>29470623
In LEO? Chief of police.
>>
>>29471900
Joining the army?
I don't know if I could deal with the ROE and IEDs
>>
>>29471900
>>29471779
>>29471699
>>29471034

>hurr durr i think im a so see oh path!
You're a stupid fucking teenager who watches too much Dexter.
First it was OCD, now it's sociopathy, what does /k/ think the next trendy mental disorder will be?
I think we all know what the most prevalent is though...
>>
I knew this was going to turn into a thread of self diagnosed "cool kids club"

God I missed my NA meeting today yet STILL I cannot get away from the newcomers.
>>
>>29471973
>Implying
Fuck you, I was already diagnosed along with my autism
>>
>>29471977

Never really thought about how long time members of recovery groups thought about newcomers, got any stories anon?
>>
>>29470883
>Both are the same thing according to the DSM V

except it's not you fucking idiot. Psychopaths legit can't feel emotions on a real level. Sociopaths don't find value in socializing. Those are two different things. the DSM V is wrong, authority or not, if it tries to imply otherwise.

>mfw i took the bait
>>
>>29471968
Become an officer and you'll live longer
>>
I am not even a sociopath but still enjoy taking apart little animals in the past. Bet all these self diagnosed "sociopaths" would come unglued emotionally seeing that lol
>>
>>29471987

Please don't simplify it to those terms. I'm not saying you're wrong, we just don't need things to be any more vague than they are already and have even more dumb fucks go "HURR THAT APPLIES TO ME IM A SOCIOPATH!"
>>
>>29471973
>>29471977
Why the fuck would I want to get sociopathy diagnosed in nanny state UK?
http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html describes me on every point, I used to just think I was a cunt but this explains me more. All the cunts I know have proper friends as well.
>>
>>29472018
>>29472026

You ever shave with those edges, anons?
>>
>>29471348
>you're
>>
>>29472018
If it's a cat yeah cause my mum likes cats.
>>
File: images__10_.jpg (9 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
images__10_.jpg
9 KB, 258x195
>>29471983
Kek
>>
/k/ - Sociopaths with guns
>>
>>29472184
*/k/ - underage self diagnosed kids that don't actually own guns*
>>
File: pdm pg 36.png (310 KB, 894x1362) Image search: [Google]
pdm pg 36.png
310 KB, 894x1362
>>29470883
>>29471038
DSM does not fucking mention psychopathy, it instead limits itself to antisocial PD. Only the PDM uses has a category of psychopatic personality disorder.
>>
>>29471973
being a tranny faggot is pretty trendy these days, tho.
>>
File: pdm pg 40.png (294 KB, 862x1334) Image search: [Google]
pdm pg 40.png
294 KB, 862x1334
>>29470866
>>29470883
The Psychodynamic manual also puts a second such superscary condition under the microscope - Sadistic Personality Disorder.
>>
File: pdm pg 41.png (268 KB, 912x1376) Image search: [Google]
pdm pg 41.png
268 KB, 912x1376
>>
>>29472184
try edgy shitposting samefags.
psychology discussions on 4chan always veer into disgustingly edgy nonsense
>>
>>29472448
That's not a disorder, you idiot, it's a medication. Backed up by all sorts of surgeries, but it's the pills that do most of the heavy lifting, especially since many don't even get any surgeries short of plucking out shrivelled up poisoned nonfunctional testes.
>>
>>29471984
Whew none I'm willing to share, even though I want to.

It's a lot like those threads where OP asks for advice on his gear set up, then shooting down every suggestion in the thread and explaining why the suggestion is wrong. Then also explaining why everyone's gear should be like his. But he's OP! He's the one who came asking for help! Why God! Please make him at least choose to put his mags on the left side...

A whole lot of love, compassion, and PATIENCE goes into a long term member's relationship towards newcomers. They really are just like newfags here, except that if we're not careful about how we treat them then they are definitely going to go back to the hell they just escaped from. Combine that with the gear thread metaphor.
>>
>>29471699

You can if you spend long enough trying too.
Shit will get powerfully overwhelming and most likely destroy you, though.
>>
>>29472543
Basically we all walk on eggshells so that this or that fool can get their shit together.

Then if they get their shit together they almost always turn out to be pretty bad ass people. But god we're such fools at first, it's pure cringe'y and compassion.
>>
>>29470883
That shit isn't even in the DSM. The closest is antisocial personality disorder.
>>
The thing about personality disorders is that if you start reading a description of them in a textbook, it starts sounding like you have this or that disorder. This is because all of these disorders exhibit human behaviors and emotions that we all experience to some degree or another, but the extent and severity determines whether or not one can be diagnosed. Self-diagnosing is a bad idea. A friend of mine became absolutely convinced he had borderline personality disorder for a couple days, but he was just being a bitch.
>>
>>29472724
Now there's that stupid disorder where you think your cell is vibrating in your pocket throughout the day when it isn't. Made it into the V.

Really puts the "what is a disorder" subject into perspective.
>>
>>29472724
That's silly, the way personalities are, you cannot have one and another incompatible one. You're not going to end up schizoid and sadistic, histrionic and paranoid or antisocial and masochistic.
>>
>>29472891

I have that. Calling it a disorder is a bit much. Even in Iraq after being there for months with no phone id still think I'd be getting a call sometimes.

Capcha a trailer is not an RV it's not a vehicle it's a trailer.
>>
Most sociopaths don't go into the military.

They go for positions like CEO.
>>
>>29472891
I have had a smart watch for a while now. If I go with out it for any amount of my awake time I feel like it is vibrating or I need it to be there. I will be frustrated if I get a text and go to check it on watch but it isn't there. It has never been debilitating but it has disrupted conversation and trains of thought. I would call it a disorder for some of it
>>
>>29472891

I have a disorder where my whole body cringes and shivers in pain when I feel the edge of straws or fountain drink lids or even think about the feeling.
>>
>>29473070

Did somebody rape you with a Big Gulp?
>>
>>29473082

i rape ur mom bitch and make her take a big gulp of my cums XDD
>>
>>29473070
That's called a Plastitis Disorder. Google it
>>
>>29472935
Most sociopaths don't go into careers. They have to settle on being sociopathic outside of work or when they're damn sure their colleagues - except for subordinates aren't looking.
>>
>>29473114
>Implying
Wrong and wrong. Just because one is a sociopath doesn't mean they'll go out and murder others.
>>
>>29471813u
I repeatedly tried to kill family pug when I was younger and start fire to this day and wet bed till 6.
>>
I used to torture stray dogs and destroyed windows on new construction, and my mom to this day brags that I never lied to her and was so good as a teen
>>
>>29473417
sociopath=/=animal abuse!
sociopath=/=attention seeking behavior!
sociopath=/=destructive fixation!
sociopath=/=bed wetting!

My guess is that one of your parental units is either physically or emotionally abusive towards either you or others. Fits the bill. If you're a male then your dad uses corporal punishment and you have antisocial tendencies at school around popular males, and internally explosive anger towards them from time to time. You're not a sociopath OR a serial killer in training. You've just experienced a lot of pain in your earlier life.
>>
>>29473518
Not even close. Born to liberal family with loose parenting beliefs and reasonable income.
>>
>>29473550
Uh oh I think you might be a serial killer in training then...

The only real qualifier for serial killers is a combination of (1) a personality disorder, which doesn't exist if my description doesn't fit you, AND (2) penetrative damage to the prefrontal cortex during or before the formative years of childhood.
>>
File: no_u.jpg (111 KB, 491x398) Image search: [Google]
no_u.jpg
111 KB, 491x398
>>29473309
>>Implying
Who the hell said anything about them murdering others? I just said most can't make a career out of sociopathy and so have to indulge it in independent ways.
>>
>>29473661
Whoops, there goes my reading comprehension. Still though, saving that reaction image.
>>
>>29473518
>>29471813
Animal abuse seems to fit more with sadistic type disorders. see >>29472455

Also, serial killers are known to have a range of combinations between antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, and sadistic personality disorder.

Enjoy freedom, pick any two!
>>
>>29473595
Based on everything else in this thread it would really seem that I fit the build. But also based on this thread I am not going to self diagnose, but know that almost everyone's description of a sociopath fits me all too well.
>>
>>29473836
Welcome to the club, buddy.
I've already seen that struggle.
Bed wetting, animal torture, pet abuse, antisocial, sadistic treatment toward others, self harm, inflicting pain on others, fire setting, etc. More or less every "serial killer" trait I've ever heard of. But then when I got further into psychology I discovered that all valid serial killers had trauma to their prefrontal (think TBI) in their adolescence. That's something I never had. So in my search to understand what was wrong with me the summation is that we're both just screwed up but not future serial killers. We're "crime of passion" committers at most.

But it's fun to imagine.
>>
>>29472448

Touche

>>29472513

I don't think he was talking about the hormone replacement and surgery and all that, I think he just meant "feeling" like a man or woman trapped in the opposite gender's body. It may not be politically correct to say so, but I'd say it certainly qualifies as a mental disorder. Don't get me wrong, fuck whoever you wanna fuck in whatever way you wanna fuck them and it doesn't bother me at all, but it's definitely a mental disorder. And if that doesn't convince you, how about having the simple desire to do all that awful shit to your body? You've gotta be fucked in the head somewhere to wanna go through with it.

>>29472543
>>29472581

Extremely interesting, anon. I never really thought about it until you brought it up, thanks for sharing a bit.

>>29472724

Well put sir.

>>29472891

ha, that happens to me all the time
>>
>>29474207
By "prefrontal trauma" do you mean physically or mentally?
>>
File: Muhammad Ali mental toughness.jpg (126 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Muhammad Ali mental toughness.jpg
126 KB, 640x640
>Not just being a badass christian who will eventually be a Navy seal and relies on skill and intellect rather than mental defects and/or bullshit philosophy that Will get you killed for ignoring your fucking physiology and can appreciate everything for what it is

That's me by the way, I'm number 1.

Sociopaths are predictably bad at combat situations/fighting because of all their repressed emotions and logic. Neurotypicals are the master race get the fuck over it wannabe edgy meisters.

Accuracy conditioning a good attitude and the will to follow and go through with orders is what the military wants, not fucking worthless human refuse, in fact sociopaths are much less likely to withstand basic training than actually humans. No being a sociopath doesn't give you any cool powers.

itt:people who don't know jack shit about the military or sociopaths.

Also most ceos and politicians are in fact not sociopaths, not even a good meme.

>B-but much dark triad
You guys realize that this is a reddit meme right? Literally glorifying mental illness.
>>
>>29470623
>Most CEOs and politicians qualify as sociopaths.

Source?
>>
>>29470883
Psychology as a field cannot really agree on much. SFU is pretty well one of the best in the world for the study of such things (that might change soon though...). They, as I understand it, consider the two to be symptomatically identical. Where they differ is in how the condition comes to be. Psychopaths are born that way, sociopaths become that way as a result of consistent abuse or neglect during their formative years.
>>
>>29474300
He said TBI, meaning Traumatic Brain Injury. Getting hit in the head.
>>
>>29474300
Physical damage to the front portion of the brain, typically penetrative, before the person has reached a significant mental maturity.

There's a simple TED talk on it if you're like me and are really interested in this stuff. It explains the brain, cites criteria for serial killers, lists a bunch of examples, then goes into detail about brain function and how serial killers tend to form thoughts or something of the like. I don't remember what it's called but a search on the TED website will pull it up quickly for you.
>>
>>29473488
Torture how? Like tie bags around their paws or actually harm them? If you did harm them, why? I'm curious what need you were satisfying.
>>
>>29472909
- Promiscuous or attention seeking
- Withdrawn or asocial

It's easy to relate to seemingly contradicting symptoms and feel like you experience both of them if you're just reading off a list. Chances are a person has experienced both extremes in their life or can convince themselves that they have. Sometimes it's enough just to relate to a few of the symptoms to make someone think they've got a disorder. I'm just saying people shouldn't try to self-diagnose.
>>
File: 1414635468064.png (294 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
1414635468064.png
294 KB, 470x470
>>29473488

And I'll bet you've manipulated girls into breaking up with their boyfriends too, haven't you?
You're so edgy I'm bleeding from all the way over here.
>>
>>29474684
That's why you have the more uncertain personality disorders - negativistic, avoidant, borderline and counterphobic (and maybe even cyclothymic and sadomasochistic).
>>
>>29474227
Stop whining with such conviction about that. You do not want the cure. It's psychopathy. A very, unrefined, kludgey, unreliable variant of psychopathy, but still a very fun one. It's not even structurally different, only difference is that instead of being faggy, it kicks ass.
>>
>>29474592

I'm not going to tell you, but catching an animal to hurt it (long time ago when I was a kid) caused a huge feeling of glee and getting hyped up. Especially the part before it was actually hurting and it was terrified and I could scare the fuck out of it
>>
Sociopathy is a spectrum disorder, not a binary sociopath:non-sociopath condition (i.e most people have at least some of these traits to one degree or another)

The reddit "le ebul politicians and CEOs are sociopaths" meme has a grain of truth in that certain sociopathic traits are useful in war, politics, or running a business, but having all of those traits and being a "true" sociopath (which includes impulsivity and lowered to non-existent inhibitions) is far more likely to put you in jail than it is to make you some master-of-the-universe ubermensch. So while being able to "turn off" your sympathy for other people can often be useful (like when ordering your soldiers into battle knowing many will die, laying off part of your work force, or manipulating your political rivals) completely lacking any conscience is more of a liability than anything.

I don't have military experience so I can't really give my personal take on it, but while I imagine being able to do some morally transgressive actions (like killing enemy soldiers) would be useful in certain situations, being a selfish, impulsive fuck that screws over his teammates won't be as useful as its made out to be.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.