[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mini 14 or M1 vs varmints
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 427x640
Looking for a ranch rifle but I want something more versatile than a .22, so I'm leaning more towards a .223 or .30 carbine. I've heard that Mini-14s are unreliable, and I've heard that .30 sucks. I don't have much experience with either other than fingerfucking them at LGS, but they're both super comfy. Thoughts, /k/?
>>
>>29463295
Mini 14 is a fucking sewing machine. If you've heard theyre unreliable it's from ar15 fanboys who have never owned on much less used a rifle outside of a range.

The mini14 does leave some things to be desired, but reliability is not one of them.
>>
whats with the names?
>>
>>29463392
*owned one
>>
Both are fine. Both calibers will fuck up varmints.

Recoil on them is about the same, and you're really not casually removing varmint from further than 100 yards max.

I would take a m1 carbine because I find it to have slightly less recoil, and the magazines are smaller and easier to toss in your pocket.
>>
I really like the way the m14 looks ,but ive heard the pre-rework of them have barrels known for being inaccurate. If you want a varmint rifle ive heard building an ar-15 could be a good alternative(ive never built one myself so take that with a grain of salt)
>>
>>29463402
April fools
>>
>>29463392
*if you're shooting 55gr ammo
Mini-14's are cool and all, but they are very picky about ammo, they are very inaccurate and they are made of low quality materials.
>>
>>29463295
I prefer the M1 carbine because I'm of the opinion that if you're buying a modern rifle you might as well get the better option, and an AR is better than a mini.

But the M1 is just about the only gun that makes a Mini look accurate.
>>
Mini-14 in .300blk.
>>
>>29463295
>shot an m1 at Nuggetfest
>cut a ped xing sign in half
Feels so good
>>
>>29463295
Mini 14 is good as a ranch rifle . I fed mine all kinds of ammo and never had an issue. I won't say I abused it, but it wasn't a safe queen either. It's like a tool you leave in the truck. It's not the best, but it gets the job done.
>>
>>29463295
SKS
>>
>>29463874
As evidence in favor.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c2c_1389699543
>>
Just get an SKS or get an AK with an under folding stock for super compactness.

SKS will be cheaper than both a Mini 14 and a quality M1 Carbine, and the AK will be around the same price range as them.

7.62x39 is a great do-all round for a ranch rifle when shooting distances closer than ~300 yards, which is all you'll really need in a ranch rifle. 7.62x39 very cheap and very common and has various loads from cheap common FMJ to more expensive soft points that mimic 30-30 performance

Personally I'd go with an undefolder. When folded they're very compact and are perfect for just throwing in the seat when out driving around, and it's very quick and easy to whip open the stock.
>>
Ive got a mini14, and I really like it but it's given me some issues. The first time I field stripped it the trigger guard got bent out of shape and I has to bend it back otherwise the trigger assembly would literally just fall out whenever the bolt cycled. The magazines I have are finicky and dont feed so good. And my rear irons got shaken loose after about 600 rounds. And the bolt gets really stiff if sand gets in. That said, I haven't had any accuracy issues with it, and I only paid 600 for it and Im in commiefornia so it was a good deal for me. I wouldn't buy one full price though.
>>
>>29463295
Ruger makes a damn fine AR, way better than the mini, and sells it cheaper than the mini.
>>
>>29463438
But have fun finding ammo.
>>
A ranch rifle should also be a good truck gun.

As in, compact enough to shoot from the drivers seat. If you're driving around a farm or ranch and see a fox or coyote, by the time you get out of your truck and shoulder a fuckhuge rifle you'll have scared it off. Pest control, drive by style. It's effective.

Get a .357 mares leg.

It's classier than any of the suggestions here, ammo is cheap, and it'll kill anything dead from foxes to black bears while not being severe overkill on smaller varmits.

If you live near grizzlies or really huge boars, you might want a .44 mares leg instead.

And you can flip-cock it, too. And it does look absolutely badass when you flip it.
>>
>>29464023
>confimed for never shooting a mares leg.
you can flip it, but your round will fly right out the top.
>>
>>29464206

Oh yea, I forgot.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.