[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't join the military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
Can't join the military, don't want to be a pig. Enjoy reading fire/ems threads and think it might be something that interests me. Could we get a thread going? I want stories and info on how to get started.
>>
>>29462751

EMT is great for those who are too dumb to be a paramedic.
>>
>>29462778
t. idiot

>>29462751
You should be an EMT-B before you're a paramedic. A paramedic is still an EMT.
>>
>>29462751
Ask to do a ridealong with a local department to see if you like it first.
>>
>>29462800

Good advice.
>>
>>29462751

OP, I am a career guy. I can answer questions if you have any specific ones.
>>
>>29462751

Thank you for being a mediocre civilian.

Now thank me for my service.
>>
>>29462967
Thank you for your service. I wish I could do the same... :(
>>
>>29462789
>A paramedic is still an EMT.
Yeah, it's not standardized.
>>
>>29462751
Be a cop. Make detective, shits cash
>>
>>29462908
Got cool stories? Anything to get me hyped up?
>>
>>29462751
Why can't you join?
Why don't you want to be a cop?
>>
>>29462751
>>
File: Fireman 02.jpg (50 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Fireman 02.jpg
50 KB, 960x540
>>
File: fireman Rain.jpg (78 KB, 634x625) Image search: [Google]
fireman Rain.jpg
78 KB, 634x625
>>
File: firefighter chick.jpg (37 KB, 716x466) Image search: [Google]
firefighter chick.jpg
37 KB, 716x466
>>
>>29463476
>live in California
>drought
>fire
>help me rain!
>>
>>29463465
My Mini-14 is what keeps me safe at night, not some 30 minute response time
>>
>>29463633

Considering that any police department will blame a negligent discharge of their issued weapon on the weapon itself, pigs ain't protecting nobody lol
>>
>>29463702

>ain't

OK jamal
>>
>>29463451
>Butthurt cop detected.

I love every time someone complains about the 10 mins a day a FF has time to watch TV. When is the last time a cop:
*Cooked all of his own meals for him and his entire crew.
*Maintained his own vehicles and equipment
*stayed on shift for 24 hrs
*cleaned and maintained his police station as a regular duty.

Cops have jobs to do, but they really don't have any room to complain when they work an 8-10 hour shift.

They also shouldn't be surprised when people like them less than the guys who spend their entire day trying to save folk's lives, as opposed to writing speeding tickets, arresting people for smoking a little pot, or shooting family dogs.
>>
Would being an aspie DQ me during medicals for being a firefighter?
>>
>>29462751
Sign up as a volunteer in any capacity they will have you. Get whatever passes for the base level of EMT certification in your state, usually the equivalent of NR-EMT. 90% of Fire and Rescue agencies require this, and already having it and maybe some experience puts you ahead of the rest.

As an example, Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue, here in Washington county Oregon, only hires people who have volunteered for them in the auxiliary program. These are folks that show up to help with rehab and cleanup at fire and emergency scenes. Others are volunteer firefighters, who are even more likely to be hired, and in fact get hiring preference.The only other way to get hired is to be an experienced Paramedic.

Also, take a Fire Science program while volunteering, if funds allow. Having a degree will help you get promoted.

As far as EMS goes, unless you plan on becoming a Paramedic, you are not going to get payed very well, so that should be your end goal. In Oregon, you have to get an associates degree to be a Paramedic. Employment opportunities (and pay) are significantly higher for people with Paramedic certification.
>>
>>29462751
Take a fucking class, dumb shit. In fact don't. If you're this fucking stupid I don't want you rescuing puppies from fires. You'd probably stab yourself in the eye with a water hose.
>>
>>29464374
I have no idea, but as long as it does not impair you, I don't think so. Keep in mind though, they will have 400+ applicants, most of whom don't have conditions like that.

Also, having the ability to empathize with and communicate effectively in a customer service capacity is critical to Fire and EMS, so you are probably at a disadvantage there as well.
>>
>>29464673
Yeah, I don't think it would be a flat out disqualifier but after being DQ'd from the military for having it on my record I tend to be a bit paranoid about stuff that requires medicals.
But yeah, I realize how it could come at a disadvantage towards being one, but I don't think I'm affected severely enough to make me less effective at the job. As you said though it certainly puts me underneath other candidates.
Anyways, thanks for the info, anon!
>>
>>29462778
>>29463235
Paramedics that went straight to paramedic without being an EMT for at least a year first are shitty paramedics who don't know anything about patient care. I'd much rather have a seasoned EMT taking care of me than a bad medic give me too much epi, or cause an air embolism when he fucks up my IV, or let me choke to death because he positioned the tube wrong, which are all things that badly trained medics have done.

Paramedics need to be seasoned EMTs first because BLS skills are what actually save most people's lives. Paramedics are essential to EMS but they're not worth shit if they haven't already gotten experience doing EMS before.
>>
>>29463427
90% of calls are bullshit.
70% of patients are assholes who deserve it.

10% of the time you might get a chance to save/improve someone's life, and about 30% of the time you might be successful in that.

If you can get over that, welcome aboard.
>>
>>29466617

Being an EMT before being a Paramedic is essential for a few reasons. It allows you to find out if you like the job. If you are the right person. It also allows you to practice patient assessments and working with a team and within the medical community.

All of the things you listed have nothing to do with being an EMT first, as EMTs don't do that. That has to do with shitty Paramedic training programs and schools and shitty internships.

Being an EMT does not automatically make you better at monkey skills. Lets be real, intubation and IVs are monkey skills that take skill from repetition but they are not highly intellectual, its just working with your hands.

What does take experience and a strong core base of knowledge and understanding is when, why, how to trouble shoot and how to think out of the box and be flexible.

When the airway was rapidly filling with beer and sausage direct laryngoscopy during an RSI procedure with a short acting paralytic was not going to work. Switching to a video laryngoscope I had diffidently accessing the airway with the tube due to angles. I had my partner hold the blade as I grabbed a boogie and cut a 2 inch end off and taped it to the end of the stylet. Now I could use the rat tail of the boogie to gain access to the airway while still having a firm platform to work off of as the boogie alone would not have had enough stable and firm curvature to manipulate through the debri, suction and abnormal tissue (boy was fat).

Long story, half of you won't get it, its actually really boring. Point is, being an EMT did not prepare me for a difficult airway. Having attended a world class paramedic program and having hundreds of hours in the OR with 50 live human intubations under my belt before being kicked out on the streets in a probationary role. That is what makes a good paramedic.
>>
>>29462898
>>29462800
You have to already have at least cpr certification before you can go on a ride along, also be very fucking careful/formal in how you ask. Goes without saying but dont show up in shorts or flipflops and shades, you'll get banhammered so hard its ridiculous.
>>
>>29466700
Yes, but you didn't become comfortable performing under pressure from being a Paramedic, you learned that from being an EMT. Being a seasoned EMT counts not because it actually makes you more knowledgeable about the actual paramedic skill, it counts because patient assessment, taking vital signs, and directing other people to essential functions in an emergency has become second nature, and now you can focus on higher level thinking when other people are panicking. That's why if effects your ability to do higher level skills.
>>
>>29467197
Are you a parrot? You just repeated my post.

My post was that yes, all those things you said are correct. The post I replied to emphasized that giving a wrong dosage, having a side effect or not competently being able to perform an ALS skill was related to not being an EMT for a prolonged period. To which my response is bullshit. If you want to talk about running a call, managing a team and communicating with other health care professionals I agree.

You don't have to be a fucking ER Tech before going to Medical School just t learn how to check blood pressures. Same principal. I agree you should be an EMT first, just not for the reasons the above poster stated.

Anyone can be taught how to do XYZ advanced skill, its really not all that advanced. Knowing when it is appropriate, how to do it in non-ideal situations and what to do if something goes wrong is taught at the Paramedic core education level and has nothing to do with being an EMT.
>>
>>29464278
Cop here! I have literally done all of those things, you ain't special, bro
>>
>>29462751
OK, so you're doing a job you don't carry a firearm for. At least cops carry guns.

How's this /k/ related?
>>
File: image.jpg (441 KB, 2048x1327) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
441 KB, 2048x1327
>>29462751
Thank god I live in Texas
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.