[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shitty gun stores
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: 1457044987926.png (62 KB, 689x448) Image search: [Google]
1457044987926.png
62 KB, 689x448
Newguns here

How many gun stores have you guys been to that were just plain shitty.

>be me
>turn 18 a week ago
>find gun store that's having a 15-20% off sale, wide selection, and plenty of more unique pieces to see
>walk in, look around
>head to the back where the tactical rifles are
>find the rifle I was looking for (New Steyr Aug A3 for $1700 with 15% off)
>walk up to counter, dudes are just chatting
>ask to see the Aug
>"Can I see your ID?"
>Sure
>He takes a look at it
>"I'm sorry, I'm not good at math. Can you take a look at this?"
>hands it to his buddy
>his buddy can't figure out basic math, pulls out a calculator to find my age
>Original dude hands back my ID and asks me "Do you have a parent around?"
>Wat
>Why would I need a parent?
>"I can't hand you tactical rifles until you're 21. You can handle those over there (points to milsurp/sporting rifles)"
>uwotm8
>Ask what law dictates that
>"Uhh THE law"
>mfw
>End up looking at a few Krags and walking out

Anybody else have similar experiences at stores?
>>
>>29458960
>Not getting a manager over that shit

As long as the manager isn't a retard he'd be pissed that an employee would be turning away wallets over false info.
>>
>>29459250
He WAS the manager and owner.
>>
Take your money elsewhere.
>>
>>29458960
Literally all of them.

Only one was ever good to me, and they didn't have what I wanted.
>>
I feel like I could make a killing just by opening a gun store with an acceptable inventory, reasonable prices and reasonable customer service.

Every gun store I've ever been to has been run by cranky old fudds or know nothing idiots. or some combination of the two.
>>
Most gun stores are garbage, and will treat young people poorly.

I've only found ONE out of a dozen that is any good.
>>
>>29458960

>End up looking at a few Krags and walking out

No LGS stocks Krags. This whole story is bullshit.
>>
>>29460742
They had a whole rack of them... but they were all going for $1200-$1500 a piece.

They had a fuckton of old guns, half a rack of Enfields, 2 racks of SKSes, endless Springfield 1903s, Garands, M1 Carbines, etc.

All were insanely priced though.
>>
I frequent a small pawn shop in my town, and a larger dedicated gun pawn shop by my shool. One guy is a total bro that understands guns, and the other guy is an incredibly old man who shares my love of old guns.

The next town over is the only shop that offers services, (bluing repair etc.)

I bought a single barrel break shotgun at the nice place and took it to the other place to get it cut down.

The owner refused to touch it and said it wasn't safe to use because it was too old, then tried to talk me into some hunting rifle fudd gun.

The shotgun I brought in was late 1800's, but it wasn't twist or damascus.

I gave up and learned how to do shit myself.

>I could probably have brought in my New England and gotten the same lecture.
>>
>>29458960
Almost the same exact shit happened to me
>be 19 year old fag who already has two handgun
>be walking around gun show
>see nice bodeo just look at it I looked at it
>dumb fudd didn't even know what if was and I said it's a bodeo
>says if you wanna look at it I can give it to a perant and they can give to you
>say fine I will just go back home and handle my pistol
>>
>18 year old
>knows anything
>durr with my years of collected 4chan knowledge I determine these guns to be "insanely priced"

KYS, thanks
>>
>>29462798
If you ware a dumb ass at 18 and didn't know anything I don't know how that's my problem or ops
>>
>>29458960
Were the Krags sport or OG? Prices?
Also, chat up the owner, hell, lie even.
Small time FFLs don't make that much and if you talk to them and be direct "I want to purchase X" the're more likely to be interested. Think about how many people walk through there daily to just fuck around and not buy anything or ask the same question he's heard a million times. He just sees some young kid wanting to know if he can get a CoD gun and doesn't actually want to buy anything. Also "can't sell tactical rifles until you're 21" sounds like some out of the ass bullshit used to get rid of you because they think you won't actually buy it.
>>
>>29458960
Worst gun shop I've ever been into was probably SM Gun Shop in Eugene, Oregon.
>>
Every lgs in my state is shit except for like 2
>>
>>29458960
That law exists in certain shit states. Like MN for example
>>
>>29462798
I've done olympic rimfire, IDPA, USPSA, and 3gun for years. Not to mention I used to shadow a gunsmith back when I lived in Oregon.

I didn't even try to act smarmy or smart to the guy, I just wanted to fucking see a rifle. I was kind to the man, but he still acted that way.

>>29462827
2 of the Krags were bubba'd, 2 of them were carbines, and the rest were all full-length rifles.
>>
>>29463832
It's Texas, so such law shouldn't exist.
>>
I have this gun store/range near me where they have unfortunately started hiring the friends of the employers there. So what you get is the gun store equivalent of auto zone, people who dont know guns and have shit attitudes.
>>
>>29460771
WHERE IS 1903? I NEED 1903 PLZ HELP TELL WHERE.
>>
Old West Gun and Loan in Redding California
>buy 1911 comes with 2 mags
>10 days later pick up 1911 has one mag
>ask about it turns out they sold my spare mag
>2 years later buying my KSG
>over hear them telling a guy to go to Wal-Mart and get a 1 day fishing license for 2nd proof of residence

Ill never in foot in there again...
>>
>impact guns Utah
>buy m91/30 on their website "excellent condition"
>get call "guns in"
>go to pick it up
>get told "yup they are over there on those racks, go pick out a nice one"
>I'll just take your ID and start the check
>all mismatched parts all shit barrel threading counterbored all damaged/cracked stocks
>ask someone else if that is all they have
>"nope, we have crates of them in the back"
>go ask cranky old fag behind the counter if there are any that aren't shit
>"those are the only ones we got, and we probably won't ever get anymore in since Obama banned them"
>ask for my id back
>turn around walk, out door, never go back

Bought one from classicfirearms for 80 bucks shipped.
Fuck that gun store.
>>
>>29463832
True for the MN part but if you have a permit to purchase, even at 18 you can buy "military style" rifles. I had this happened to me when I was 18 and one shit store wouldn't sell to me even though I was 18 and had a permit to purchase. I literally just drove down the road and bought the same rifle from another place and we had a laugh about the other store not knowing how the laws work.
>>
None of them have ever treated me bad. Cabelas would be my worst experience.
>fight amongst over 100 customers to make eye contact with the clerks.
>the only reason I would buy guns there is I sometimes receive gift cards for christmas

The local hardware store in the town I grew up in:

>awesome old man that's fun to talk to.
>he's 3rd generation owner of a 100+ year old mom n pop business.
>competing with Walmart/Home Depot 15 miles away
>He charges 50-100 bucks more than I could order most guns including the transfer fee.
>His dad, grandpa, and him kept the business running but his sons won't be able to keep the flame lit.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>29462795
He was right though
>>
>>29464021
>Buy online
>Not even looking at pictures

You deserved everything.
>>
>>29464084
To be fair, there could have been pics of the one nice model they got in.
>>
>>29464021
Impact gets bad yelp reviews from the locals. I've had nothing but good experiences ordering online and shipping though.
>>
>at Gander mountain looking at ARs similar to mine in order to pick out a properly sized bag
>ask to hold a an AR with a barrel/fixed stock cause same size
>woman behind counter takes it off rack
>looks at it, confused
>hands it to me without clearing it
>muzzlesweep.jpg
>Holy shit, grab AR, drop mag, clear
>"ohhh... That's how you do that."

Granted, she probably worked in like... Shoes or something, but Jesus Christ.
>>
>>29464171
20 inch barrel*
>>
>>29458960
>be me guy whos 19 not a total tool
>go to lgs with great reviews on google
>treated with respect
>buy M&P15 with some magpul shtuffs
>57500 pennies out the door

not bad for my first real lgs experience
>>
>>29463945

I live in Spring, so right now there's only two gun ranges within a reasonable distance from me and I've BOTH had them tell me

>You need to be 21 to purchase a firearm anywhere in the state, because background checks are mandatory
>It's state law that you have to be 21 to shoot a gun at the gun range, because of the first reason

I've literally brought in print-outs of the law and highlighted parts of the law where they're wrong and they either say that the print-out is wrong, or that it's how in they "interpret" it and that they're there to "enforce the law"
>>
Oly shop near me has decent staff, but very pushy towards making you buy something.
>>
>>29464171

Never understood the autism behind that.

If the motherfucking gun is behind the counter, I'm assuming you people aren't stupid enough to keep it loaded. If you are, well, I don't want to do business with you unless the prices are a steal.
>>
>>29458960
>krags
Where is this LGS and is it in AL? I must know OP
>>
>>29464316
It's just courtesy. And really I think the story is bad cause she didn't know how to do it.
>>
>>29464240

Actually I've been there before too:

>Go in with my new, shiny Series 70
>bought 200 Federal FMJ's
>ready to plinky-plink
>Show ID to the young 16 year old hottie they have working the range counter
>"uhhhh"
>Here we go
>"Sir you need to be 21 to be able to shoot that pistol, you can't legally have it so you can't see it"
>"Oh really? Is that actually policy, and you're just telling me it's state law? And it's not illegal for me to have this gun, I bought it from a private seller, which is legal to do once you turn 18 in the state of Texas."
>She kept shaking her head like I was wrong, and that it was illegal to even buy a handgun from a private seller
>Ask to speak to manager
>Wait 20 minutes, and all he does is repeat verbatim what she said
>leave

>Go back a day later with my shotgun carrying case
>Different girl
>Ask for a spot on the range to shoot my "shotgun"
>go in and pull out my colt, start shooting
>talk about HK's to a person who was also there, and let the range officer shoot my colt
>walk out
>Manager and the girl from yesterday (shifts changed, I guess) are staring at my and shooting daggers
>RO is laughing
>>
LGS #1
>buy first gun, a mosin, at a gun show
>go to gun store that same day to buy ammo and cleaning supplies
>old fudd behind counter is very nice, helps me pick out a cleaning kit without ripping me off

>buy second gun from that store, a wasr10
>go in 3 separate times to check it out, shoot the shit with young buy behind counter
>very polite, very helpful in comparing all of the aks they have
>decide to buy the wasr
>saved $80 because of a labeling error they made on that box

I swing by fairly often to pick up ammo, supplies, and to check out their trade ins too. All of the employees are very nice and helpful while still giving you the rustic fuddy feeling, though they also know their shit about pistols and scurry black rifles.

LGS #2
>decent enough counter people
>only problem is everything is super fucking expensive and the salesmen are tactical gym bros who failed out of cc and came to work at the gun store
>it's alright because they have the nicest toys in town on their racks and don't care if you fingerfuck
>also have wide range of ammo and reloading supplies
>$10 4th gen ak pmags
>get to laugh at the people at the indoor range at this particular shop

I did get to see the salesman be really snarky and send 3 obviously ghetto dipshits packing when they asked if they could hold "dat ak47 right there" as they pointed at an ak pistol with chromed everything. Guy asked if any of them were 21 and they left.

My LGS's are nice, I feel sorry for you guys with shitty stores

>shop 2 also has free coffee and donuts 24/7
>>
>>29464300

Just depends on who people hire, really. Locally.

1. Pawn shop is pretty good, friendly. Some prices are high, some are low, they only go by the Blue Book so this works when selling them things sometimes too. Got an even trade for an old shitty Taurus PT-92 in exchange for a rare variant Norinco SKS.
2. Gun shop. Pretty cool people. Usually good prices on stuff.
3. Pawn shop. Used to be cool but very condescending staff, also ever increasing poor selection. Not concerned with repeat customers unless you're pawning stuff, which I don't.
4. Another pawn shop - Bit of an amateur hour in how the business is run, people don't know much about guns, they also go by the blue book only. So good deals on certain items.
5. Gun shop - Very nice staff but they sell tactical only weapons and accessories. They don't carry normal guns and don't really do trades or anything unless it's special/collectible. Again, very nice staff, but don't find myself going in there much because their prices are usually at MSRP and they stock a limited variety.
6. Final place is a gun store with an indoor range. They're cunts. Once told me that they're in the business to sell guns, not buy guns, when I was inquiring about a trade. Offered $50 for a gun a pawn shop later gave me $220 for, which they listed for $299. Told another guy they'd give him $150 for a LNIB XDS 45 because "we gotta make a profit too".

Some low prices on certain guns and cheap range time, but I don't give them my business out of general principle.
>>
>>29464339

If you're looking for Krags in Alabama, Pawn Central in Opelika/Auburn had one or two last time I was in there, but I don't know the prices.
>>
>>29464370
Thank you Laurence!
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>29458960
My LGS, the only LGS in the county that's open 5 days a week every week is the same place were I got a genuine weaver quick point for $10.
>Tfw you've never had this problem, once in your entire life.
>tfw I live in fucking CT
>>
Used to like my lgs, but lately theyve gone to shit. Transfers are $40 with a yearly range membership and $45 without. A month or two it was only $30,which was a little high, but I'd been going there for years and was comfortable.

Started looking at other ffls in my area and they're so much cheaper. My lgs isn't even fun to hang out in any more. The people who work there won't shoot the shit or even show any interest in any questions.

Not that they need to cater to my whims, but if you don't like talking guns then you're working at the wrong place.

RIP lgs. You had a good run and now I hardly recognize you.
>>
I live in a city on the border of two states. There's a great gunshop close to me but on the other side of the state line so I can't get any handgun or lowers transferred there.
>>
>>29458960
Every gun store seems to be shitty in some respect. No one knows anything about funs anymore. Gets to be quite a problem. Those who do know their shit have other problems.
>>
The first gun store I went to to get a 10/22, the guy's there were real nice, pretty chill and happy to help. Had/have a good time there. It's also where I picked up the SKS I ordered for my brother and they were complimenting the quality of it.

There's this other place I go sometimes as well because they're the only place in my town that carries bullet heads to reload my spent brass. I always get uncomfortable there though because they always seem...not really uptight, but like they're just expecting me to break something or say something retarded so they can chastise me or something, I dunno. I just get what I need and get out.
>>
File: 1402206264603.jpg (220 KB, 920x690) Image search: [Google]
1402206264603.jpg
220 KB, 920x690
>>29464316

>work at gunstore
>dude asks to see Shield 40
>clear gun, hand it to him
>fiddles with it for a bit
>locks slide back
>pulls single .40 cartridge out of his pocket
>starts trying to stuff it in
>go-go-gadget my arms out faster and further than I've ever done before
>he gets a big incredulous look on his face
>"I wasn't done lookin' at it"
>kick him out
>get reprimanded later for it, apparently he called and complained

Fucker.
>>
>>29464641
Why would you get reprimanded for stopping a customer from loading a weapon in your store? Who gives a fuck if he complained....that's not a thing you can just do.

I call fake and/or gay.
>>
>>29464641
They have a standing rule at my LGS that no gun will be loaded unless it's on the firing line because of a situation similar
>guy comes in, asks to see a pistol
>clerk hands it to him
>guy finger fucks it for a minute, asks a few questions
>half turns away, clerk gets sketched out
>guy drops single round into chamber, racks it and blows his brains out
>security tape shows clerk drawing his gun on the guy, thought he was about to get robbed
>clerk quits

Another time, same store
>nofuns mid life crisis guy comes in
>rents 3 handguns and an AK
>puts handguns on range comes back for AK
>10 minutes go by, he comes bumbling back out with rifle
>can't figure out how to load rounds in the fucking magazine
>clerk shows him, loading about 5 rounds into rifle
>tells nofuns not to load until he's on the range
>guy gets in range door, puts AK between his feet
>loads magazine, racks it
>somehow manages to smack the trigger as he reaches down to pick it up
>round blows out his goddamn brain stem
>this clerk also quits

I'm friends with the owner since I grew up with his son, guy can't catch a fucking break I swear.
>>
File: Bang.jpg (1 MB, 2569x1928) Image search: [Google]
Bang.jpg
1 MB, 2569x1928
>>29458960
>Been working for a LGS in a grocery store for a few years now.
>Help where I can, do what I can for customers.
>Usually not with guns, just general shit like paint and keys.
>Took a few weeks off for vacation, because I can, because you work for 10 years in the company that shit accumulates and the lady who works on time and attendance yells at you.
>Be in the store and notice everyone has assholes in max pucker mode.
>Fuck, a bigwig is in the store.
>Not my problem, go to get a new gun on these last few days I got off.
>New face at the counter.
>Bigwig is behind us, as the clerk flatly denies me without even preforming a background check.
>He is very vocal about it.
>I am wearing a shitty Carhart so I probably look like a hermit.
>The clerk is calling loss prevention.
>My boss asks me what the problem is.
>I shrug.
>He asks the clerk what the problem is.
>He claims I was planning on stealing a gun, but he has loss prevention on the line.
>He stops, listening to the phone, and goes pale.
>I pull out my associate card, and the boss asks him to hang up the phone.
>And he never was seen in he store again.
>>
>>29464641
Pic explanation please. Riot police vs ...?
>>
>>29464353
kek
>>
>Be inna Fred Meyer.
>Ask person behind the gun counter for some 5.56.
>She has a lost expression on her face and asks me where it is.
>She is standing behind it, in the gun kiosk.
>She makes two loops around the entire fucking kiosk before finding the box I have been pointing at.
>"Sorry, I don't really like guns, I just work here."
>>
>>29464781

>customer calls corporate, complains using employee's name
>corporate calls store
>assistant manager pulls you aside and gives you shit because she's too lazy to look into the problem
>talk to store manager next day
>he watches security tape
>employee exonerated
>repeat ad infinitum

This happens nearly weekly with customer complaints (not necessarily from me, but storewide). Company nonsense "customer is always right" policy.
>>
>>29459596
In Indiana and Illinois we have Big R great customer service small selection of funs.
>>
>>29462723
>cut down an antique shotgun
I hate to be the one to tell you this anon, but you are the fudd
>>
>>29460248
Former mom/pop gunstore employee here, used to do a lot of gun shows.

The problem with pricing is that in order to be competitive you have to sell most firearms at $50-60 above cost. Then there are always these idiots at shows who have guns listed at a $20 markup, they usually go out of business.

There are some incompetent gun store owners/employees, but you have to also consider that gun stores have to work with the general public on a daily basis, which can be annoying.

I've seen damn near everything, had an illegal immigrant who didn't speak a word of english try to buy a 22, the picture on his id didn't match his face in the slightest.

Had an old lady come in to the store, wanting a shotgun because she feared for her life, her ex had been stealing from her, threatening to do a murder/suicide. She ended up leaving without purchasing anything due to indecisiveness; someone who broke down crying in fear.

I've had times where I had filled the 4473 out, got background check approved, only to find that the customer went and bought the same gun from the guy next to me because it was $1 cheaper.

Trust me, dealing with the public isn't always fun.
>>
>>29465957
part 2:

I've seen people bring loaded guns to shows. My uncle the store owner had one show where the police failed to clear the gun, ended up shooting a power conduit when the safety was switched off. Was a PS-90 if I remember correctly.

Handed a customer a cleared gun, and next thing I knew he almost killed my cousin. Still don't know how it happened. The 10mm bullet hole is still in the floor.
>>
>Jay's Guns, PC FL
>all guns marked up 10-15% local market average, tactical rifles galore though
>looking for retention holster for springfield xd
>ask employee
>"uhhhhhhhhh I think we have some"
>"Nope all we have is one holster, but I can order one. It'll cost over $100"
>noped the fuck out of there

Was just trying to buy locally instead of giving Amazon my money again.
>>
File: 1399869558887.jpg (36 KB, 805x669) Image search: [Google]
1399869558887.jpg
36 KB, 805x669
>>29458960
> be me
> second time ever shooting
> go to the gun store/range on valentines day
> no singles allowed on the range
> force myself to buy something since I don't want to look like a weirdo
> ask for 9mm "parabellum" ammo (it was my first 9mm and that's what the guy who sold it to me called it)
> dude looks at me like im crazy
> gets the manager
> they decide im just trying to fuck with them
> get angry for wasting their time
> go home and cry
>>
>>29465822
>single shot
>cultural or monetary value
>ever
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.