[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small deisgn questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1459233259344.jpg (170 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
1459233259344.jpg
170 KB, 1365x2048
Can someone here explain to me how a non reciprocating charging handle doesn't "flop" when you're firing? Like, if the action fast enough that it doesn't have time or is it actually locked in place somehow to where it'll only move when pulled not when fired?

Also, in a short stroke piston, where does the buffer spring go?
>>
>>29452793
It does, but it's of no consequence because it's not being forced back, it simply jumps back and forth a little if you don't hold it forward.

Also, the only design that has a buffer spring is an AR (at least that I know of)
Short stroke gas piston rifles typically have the spring behind the main portion of the piston, or occasionally surrounding the entire thing.
>>
>>29452793
It is disengaged.
>>
File: ARCHD.jpg (21 KB, 800x596) Image search: [Google]
ARCHD.jpg
21 KB, 800x596
>>29452793
ars have a latch that locks into a notch on the reciver
>>
>>29452949
So does the spring rest against the back of the receiver? Could you give an example for me to look at?
>>
>>29452793
Non-reciprocating charging handles are typically locked in place as you mentioned (e.g., AR's, SCAR's, Tavor's...)
>>
File: 1459211763111.jpg (66 KB, 657x720) Image search: [Google]
1459211763111.jpg
66 KB, 657x720
Can a short stroke system use a spring in front of the bolt carrier group like a long stroke system can to lock the bolt into place? Or does a short stroke system require the spring to go behind the bolt carrier group?

Also, why are short stroke systems considered more accurate?
>>
>>29453975
A short stroke system requires that the piston doesn't travel the full length the bcg does. You could hang an extension off the bcg to mount the spring on, like the m1 carbine, and have a piston instead of a tappet however you may have carrier tilt and its unnecessary weight.

The less moving mass and the more in line it is with the bore axis, the less it can push you out of alignment with the target. Hence, a large mass like a long stroke will be less accurate than a short stroke will be less accurate than a di.
>>
>>29454038
So it has more to do with sustained fire and return to target than inherent accuracy?
>>
>>29453158
In this case, the charging handle has a little detent like latch that engages the receiver to lock it. You have to disengage the latch to pull it back, but that's the same action as just grabbing the handle so you don't need to worry about it. On other designs like the mg34, there is a leaf spring that is shaped to snap into a detent hole except when you pull back
>>
>>29454061
No, the accuracy impact occurs because these parts start moving while the bullet is still travelling down the barrel. They exert force on the reciever/barrel which causes the gun to move a little off axis. Note that yhis is a pretty small change, and you have to be a pretty good shot at long distance to notice
>>
>>29454105
What is the speed of sound through steel?
>>
>>29454683
BTW this is important because the speed of push is the same as the speed of sound through any given medium, so I don't think that the speed of sound through steel would catch up to a bullet that is travelling at 2500-3000 fps. So realistically idk that the movement of the piston would actually affect the path of the bullet, but the recoil would be affected.
>>
>>29454819
The bullet has left the barrel before the piston begins it's action.
>>
>>29455033
That's what I'd assume, so theoretically there should be no difference in accuracy between DI and piston systems, perhaps follow up shots would suffer for piston systems but I doubt it'd be worth mentioning pretty much.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.