[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Life after the Military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 600x480
Currently 6 months from separating from the Army with no clue what I'm going to do. I know there's a good amount of veterans on here and I was hoping to get some insight as to your personal experiences leaving the service and entering the civilian world.
>what was the transition like
>how hard was it to find a job
>are organizations like VFW, American legion, Iraq & Afghanistan veterans worth joining
Thanks fellas
>>
Walmart greeter.

Also thank you for your cervix.
>>
>>29450049

I work at Walmart (not vet) and they will practically suck your dick

Go into AP (asset protection) and circle jerk with all the other milfags
>>
>>29450029
Get that sweet military welfare from the VA, they'll probably take your guns away, but you'll be set.
>>
>>29450029
Shit nigger, if you choose to ets, you better have ad a fucking plan.

Shit, you the niggest.

Seriously, you had better apply for a fucking state school spring semester 2017 using the gi bill right fucking now, or just reenlist until you figure out what the hell you want to do with yourself.

You fucking suck cherry. You're the reason I have to sit through a year of acap bullshit even though I've had a plan for two and a half fucking years.
>>
>>29450029
What was your MOS? If you actually did something useful, you can parlay that into a real job.

At the very least, veterans preference gives you an edge over other candidates for federal jobs, bit direct employment and contract positions. Check out usajobs.gov and start applying for anything you think you can bullshit your way through.

It boggles my mind just how many grunts finish their hitch and have no fucking clue what they're going to do in the civilian workforce. Don't be a statistic, OP.
>>
>>29450094
I've already been accepted to a state school. I just don't know what to study or what career field to go into.
>>29450102
I have a pretty skilled MOS but I don't really want to do it in the civilian world.
>>
>>29450092
I've considered doing this as I think I have a good case but u really don't want to lose my right to own firearms.
>>
>>29450084
I'm sure I could get a job in loss prevention or some sort of security but I don't want to make $10 an hour or be a mallninja
>>
>>29450094
>reenlist
God damn OP Didn't any of your Sgts tell you to have a plan before separation? It might be a bit different here in the air force but see if you can't extend your contract a year before so you can figure Shit out before you leave.
>>
>>29450102
I've looked at usajobs quite a bit and I really don't qualify for anything halfway decent.
>>
>>29450122
You don't have to do it forever, but it's easier to find a job when you have a job. If you have a clearance, look for work that will use it because it always posts better than jobs that don't - clearedjobs.net or clearancejobs.com are good places to start. Or, hell, just Google it. Have something lined up before you separate.
>>
>>29450152
My tentative plan is school, I just wanted to see how other people handled their separation and what career fields they went into.
>>
>>29450165
I have a secret clearance but will that can me very far without a degree?
>>
>>29450162
Patently untrue. Most federal employees aren't qualified to do the mobs that they do and there is absolutely nothing lousy by applying and bring rejected - unless you're one of those special snowflakes that can't handle rejection, in which case just go ahead and kill yourself, now, because you're just going to do it in six-to-eighteen months, anyway.
>>
>>29450169
Right on. I'd probably stay with my career field by move over to RPAs, probably wouldn't be very happy because fuck my job but id definely make a decent amount of money. Good luck man.
>>
>>29450029
A bunch of tips, been out for three years, it was rought the first year.

1. Apply for un employment
2. enjoy it and smoke weed nad drink beer and get your head straight, dont suicide
3. apply for fasfa
4. look for a school
5. I recommend go straight ahead and get your cdl class A, since it takes a month and sets you up for way more job opportunities(dont smoke weed when you get out if your do this thought)
6. go to school for something that only takes a year, welding, computer shit, hvac, something that helps you
7. when looking for a job go into security third shift, that way you can go to school and work at night. Its easy, not crazy, and just like being on guard again.
8. Do your VA shit asap and join VFW and contact one of their reps right off the batt to help your ass out. Its fucking way long, way hard, and takes forever.
9. once you got that shit out of the way start knocking out gen ed classes at the community college and working. Its gonna take a hot minute and some classes such. Either pay out of pocket or go full time, but be warned any class you drop your gonna have to pay back to the VA, but you can get a lot of pre reqs done. I would say take only one hard class a semester
10. once all that shits doomed and gloomed either focus on your previous experience (Security is dead end, hopefully you learned welding and making some bucks, or hvac and doing shit) OR go middle class and use the GI bill to go to nursing school

Good luck i'll monitor. Biggest thing is civvies dont drink like we do, and life is a lot more depressing and unfullfilling, also its cut throat no brotherhood out here
>>
>>29450179
You're in like Flint. The clearance is important, not your education - anybody can get a degree but not everybody can pass a background check. If you already have a Secret, find an IT service desk job that requires it and you're set for life. In most cases, once you're in the system, you'll be able to pursue your education on your company's dime and learn something you'd rather do.
>>
>>29450122
Good. Knock out your gen ed credits first, then follow your interests from there. Doesn't have to be practical, do what you like. A BA is a foot in the door for a lot of jobs

And avoid rotc like the plague
>>
>>29450209
Thanks a lot man I appreciate it.
>>
For me it was realizing nothing happens uless you push yourself to do it know. And that is hard as fuck.
>Get hurt in military
>Cant handle it so I check myself into Portsmouth naval hospital psych ward
>Partly for help, partly for that VA money after I leave
>COMPLAIN AND GET CHECKED FOR SHIT NOW SO YOU GET THE $$ LATER
>I get out and force myself to go to college
>Finally get accepted itno nursing school
>I am addicted to redbull and run on 0 sleep

TLDR Shits gonna get hard nig
>>
>>29450151

$10 is base pay now, think AP is class D paygrade, so that's at minimum $15/hour

30k gross isn't bad if you live somewhere like the Midwest
>>
>>29450029
>how hard was it to find a job
Took me about a month of looking to find a low-level IT job, but I my certs and 6 years of credible experience.

Was a bit weird not having to get up at 6, not having to shave or keep my hair short, not having to do any of that BS, but I also took 2 months of terminal leave to get used to things.
>>
>>29450286

Won't excess caffeine lead to gout?
>>
>>29450029
POST 9/11 G.I. BILL
DON'T BE STUPID
DON'T BE >>29450049 >>29450084
SERIOUSLY
>>
>>29450315
Yeah I have a family to support too, I just can't live on that no offense.
>>29450286
I have hearing loss, tinnitus and back problems. How do I go about doing all that? Complain to my doc or wait til I get out?
>>
>>29450347
complai now so you have paperwork, sick call ranger that shit dont be stupid
>>
>>29450347
get it at least documented so you can get va benefits after, i know too many people who got screwed by not having anything at least documented when they were still in.
>>
>>29450347
>Hearing loss- Thats great, that will get you $
>Tinnitus- easy to get money for they cant actually test if you have it or not so you get 10% off the bat
Back problems- Is it pain or limited range of motion. VA doesnt pay for pain.

If its in your record good to go. If not go get that shit checked and proven on paper now.
>>
go to school
get a degree(real, marketable degree, not some hipster shit like liberal arts or something)
join the police force
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 500x241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 500x241
>>29450394
Had a chiropractor tell me my spine is twisted like some scoliosis shit. I also heard they don't give you shit for hearing?
>mfw I'm the hearing conservation guy too
>>
>>29450438
What's a good degree aside from engineering?
>>
My cousin was a Marine Sgt for 12 years as a 6531. He had a rough go his last tour and decided he wanted out. After he got out it took him about 9 months to find something. It ended up being an overnight unarmed security guard position. He was fired a few weeks later leaving the desk to take a piss. (not kidding. He got up to take a piss without making sure his partner was filling in for him... at 330am... when all they do is watch monitors)

After that he tried for another 4ish months and couldnt find anything. He ended up reenlisting and said he would rather be dead than a homeless civilian.

Basically, unless your MOS directly related to your planned civilian life, you are as big a risk at a 30 year old NEET with zero work history. In fact, a lot of employees look at you even more unfavorably because you not only lack work experience but they think you are mentally unstable or a liability
>>
Going to school on the GI Bill now for mechanical engineering. Friends who also got out went to school for medical/nursing. Don't be afraid to apply for aid/unemployment. Biggest thing is just to make a plan and start it quickly.
>>
>>29450623
How hard is engineering school? That's my plan but I don't know if I can handle the math.
>>
>>29450487
For tinitus that I claimed I had I got 10%, everyone claims tinitus its a beautiful thing.
>>
File: 1436042255091.jpg (42 KB, 437x501) Image search: [Google]
1436042255091.jpg
42 KB, 437x501
>tfw 12 months out of ETS date

I've already started ACAP stuff but I'm not gonna lie...I'm scared /k/
>>
>>29450665
If you don't mind my asking, how much do they give for that?
>>
>>29450664
I'm better at working with numbers than abstract concepts, but its definitely not easy. I had to go all the way back to algebra 2 since I hadn't been in school for a decade and forgot a lot. As far as engineering goes, I'm told civil engineering isnt as hard, but it has the same basic math requirements.
>>
>>29450675
like $100 a month give or take $20, im at like 40 or 50% and get 600 somthing.
>>
Gi bill that shit, that's what I'm doing. Tuition paid, book stipends, and housing allowance to go to school. Probably going to do engineering or something similar because I like making things and learning how shit works, but you can go for something that even just sounds good on any resume like a business degree or some shit. Where im going my bah is $1400 a month, more than enough for rent and basic needs, and I can get a part time job to pay for anything else like my car if need be. Just make sure you save up a good bit of money as a buffer while you're in between getting settled and making money
>>
Are you single?

I would recommend going to school. I went for CompSci and was able to make money while in school due to state grants, the gi bill, and becoming an RA. My room and board was paid for and my college was more or less free because of grants. I pocketed most of my gi bill money and walked away with about 10k more in the bank than when I started.

Whatever you do, don't be one of the faggots that expects the world to suck your dick and to have opportunities just fall into your lap and then cries about how hard it is being a vet when that doesn't happen.
>>
>>29451708
The only things that really interests me are weapons, survival and the outdoors. How do I turn that into a career.
>>
>>29451807

move to syria
>>
>>29451807
the only things that interest me are roadside bombs and the jews
>>
>>29451862
Heh
>>
>>29451895
So....chef?
>>
The fucks wrong with you losers? Get a degree 'medical field is always good', or become a police officer.
>>
I've been out since 2009. I am an Iraq infantry vet. Here is what I wish I knew.

1. Make sure you claim any and all injuries no matter how minor before you seperate and get them documented at your base clinic/hospitial. Apply for disability rating before seperation. I scared my hand badly when's M2HB blew up on me (head spacing and timing were ok). Apply for VA medical disability benefits immediately on seperation.

2. You can use unemployment when you seperate till you find a job

3. Use your GI Bill and get that college education or trade school. IIRC post 9/11 GI Bill does apply for apprenticeships too now. This is such a great benefit. Don't squander free college! Also there is vocational rehab programs if you are have a disablity rating.

4. If you want to work for the Federal gov start learning about usajobs.com and writing a Federal resume. As a veteran you have special hiring authority under VRA and VEOA and if you are 30% disabled or more. You will still have to write a resume but you are basically moved to front of line. You will compete with other vets. You can buy back your military time toward pension and these are very secure jobs. I work as a Army civilian. Great benefits and work life balance.

5. Consider extending your enlistment if they still allow it. You use to be able to extend in 1 month increments. Save your money and have a plan for job or college. The goal here is you don't become unemployed vet. You transition seemlessly from active duty to keeping income even if it is just your GI Bill monthly living stipend.

6. Go to the transition assistance class and don't fuck off. Pay attention and keep material and notes.

7. There are so many programs to help vets. You earned them. SO USE THEM and better yourself!
>>
>>29450179

Yes if you want to work for a defense contractor it will but those jobs imp aren't stable and there is little locality toward the employees once contract is gone your ass is layer off too.

Setup search parameters on USAjobs and get auto updates for your keywords. You are qualified. You sound like you suffer from not understanding just how much training and time has been invested in you by us military. You are ahead of shit stain civilians your age.

I did the city cop thing after infantry. Hated it. Went to college and got useless Criminal justice degree.

Get a science, technology, engineering or math degree and make good money.

Lots of good paying jobs in medicine as well other than nurses or doctors.

Sounds like you're a single dude use that to your advantage. You don't have to move "back home" you can literally move anywhere you want.

Prioritize how you want to live. For me it was: no big cities, no commutes over 20 miles, no rotating shift work like nights, minimal travel, stating pay in the $50k per year range. Became quality inspector for the Army
>>
>>29450569
>My cousin was a Marine Sgt for 12 years as a 6531. He had a rough go his last tour and decided he wanted out. After he got out it took him about 9 months to find something. It ended up being an overnight unarmed security guard position. He was fired a few weeks later leaving the desk to take a piss. (not kidding. He got up to take a piss without making sure his partner was filling in for him... at 330am... when all they do is watch monitors)
>After that he tried for another 4ish months and couldnt find anything. He ended up reenlisting and said he would rather be dead than a homeless civilian.
>Basically, unless your MOS directly related to your planned civilian life, you are as big a risk at a 30 year old NEET with zero work history. In fact, a lot of employees look at you even more unfavorably because you not only lack work experience but they think you are mentally unstable or a liability

This is not entirely true. I will higher prior military over someone with work specific history if given the chance. I don't assume crazy. All I do is run a deli.
>>
>>29450029
My biggest thing is that normie life can be pretty mundane so try and get over that if you can
>>
>>29450122
Army veteran here. Study computer science or engineering, if you're smart. I got set up pretty well a few years after getting. For some reason a lot of tech/engineering companies like veterans. I work for GE now and it's great. Good pay and bennies, good work environment, etc.
>>
>>29453745

Lol lack "work experience". You can't be an institutionalized fuck. You have to learn to not act like a Jarhead and you have to convert you experience to terms civilians understand.

Apply for shitty jobs and that's all you will get. I managed the site security and loss prevention program of a large warehouse as my first job out. I was not a uniformed guard either but management.

There is really no excuse with post 9/11 GI Bill free college for every vet to not obtain a degree. Get the fucking sheepskin
>>
>>29453625
Thanks man. What to you do for DA and how hard was it to get that job?
>>
>>29453739
Thanks for the advice man. I really need to make at least 50k when I switch, which will be a step down for me. How realistic is this with no degree?
>>
>>29453790
They like vets because they're not the typical straight white men that always fill up the jobs. It's a sneak way to get muh diversity while still hiring a good candidate.
>>
>>29450029

Transition is just that a change. You are starting a new life. Esp if you went into mil straight out of High School. You are behind your peers but you have an edge to out earn them because you have post 9/11 GI Bill while they drown in student loan debt. You can also draw unemployment just don't tell them you are drawing GI Bill.

Don't talk about military all the time civilians only frame of reference is TV/vista/movies.

Don't always wear military shirts and old uniform items. Don't dress like the "professional veterans" you see at the VA.

VFW, American Legion are very site dependent. All my local ones are smokey old guy bars. But times are a changing and you should check them out. Some of those old guys have businesses and hire young bucks or have connections. Can't hurt.

If you are straight military out of HS and don't want to work in your MOS you will probally get the same sort of shitty jobs high school grads get. Do you want fries with that?

Stop trying to make your hobbies/interests your career. Find a career with a good pay, quality of life and stability. Get the degree or training you need to get that job. Use your money to find your hobbies. Work with other smart people!

One of my buddies is a dental hygentist, another is a nurse, another is an IT guy. All are doing great. A vet with an education will beat out straight out of college kids.)

No one is going to take your guns because you have a PTSD diagnosis either. So you can quit that silly shit. Get help if you need it.
>>
>>29453848

Your not going to make $50k per year with no degree and no tech training (you said you don't want to work in the civilian equlivent of your MOS). So basically you are a high schooler to employers.

Start learning what jobs pay. Use google. Find out median salary.

Think of this as a mission you need to plan.
>>
>>29453973
>fuck
>>
>>29453829

I am a glorified company clerk. What was hard was learning the usajobs lingo and how to write a Federal resume. Essentially you need to regurgitate the job posting back into your resume. Forget everything you know about civilian resumes. Federal resumes are long because you need to get enough keywords in to get it past the automated screening programs. Apply for everything. I probally applied for 80 jobs each one with a custom long ass resume that mirrored the job posting.

Start researching Fedsoup is a great forum for that. Example: if a job has a very narrow application window of just a few days and is for 1 vacancy there are good odds it is for an internal candidate and it was only posted because all openings must be posted by law
>>
>>29450169

You have an income goal now start finding jobs you think you might want to do that pay that. Then find out what education you need to make that happen. Then get the edu and make it happen.
>>
>>29450029
What is your mos?

Short answer... use gi bill and go to college. Get a useful degree
>>
>>29454034
152H
>>
Why aren't you taking online classes now? Depending on your college You will get some freebie gen Ed college credits for boot camp and maybe your tech school. Google armed forces transcripts.

What is your MOS?

Do you have a wife and kids to support? Time to re-up mothetfucker because you waited till 6 months from EAS to make a plan. Should have been in online college the whole time or hooked up with a contractor.

Only hope for you is better paying cop or fireman job. Start applying now! There is a book called "How to smoke your firefighter interview" that I owe my job to.

Don't plan to move back to the shitty little town you came from. There aren't jobs there. Go where job market is robust.
>>
>>29454095

>152H

Apache Helicopter Pilot?
>>
>>29454118
I'm taking gen ed classes, will have associates before I ETS. My wife will be working before I exit making a comparable salary. I don't want to work in my MOS field.
>>
1. Rank?
2. Age?
3. Family?
4. MOS?
5. Years of service?
6. Other mil training?
7. Where u moving to?
>>
>>29454135
Yes.
>>
>>29454144

>I don't want to work in my MOS field

But wants to make $50k a year fresh off the boat.

No
>>
>>29454149
>CW2
>late 20s
>wife and kids
>152H
>9
>every company level additional duty
>midwest
>>
>>29454151

So you are a warrant officer?

Well sir, what the fuck over? If you are smart enough to get into WO school and flight school you don't need us. This thread is for 22 year old, straight out of high school to Grunt dimbasses.
>>
>>29454169
It's possible for him to do it, just unlikely.
>>
>>29454169

He is a warrant officer he should still get the degree but can probally get a boring mid level management job since no civilian and most of the military doesn't really know what a Warrant officer is. All a civilian is going to hear is "military officer".
>>
>>29454191
Dude I started it to see what other peoples experiences and advice were. I have a plan, I just wanted to see how other guys handled it.
>>
>>29454204

Plenty of bigger city Police depts will pay close to $50k. I used my old Montgomery GI Bill while in the police academy and double dipped.

Not sure if you can do "vocational training" with post 9/11 GI Bill I know it was talked about.

Being a cop is ok. It's shift work but interesting. Gets old dealing with shit heads and the scum of earth. Be fireman instead. Sleep on the clock.
>>
>>29454209
Kek I'm counting on it.
>>
>>29453860
They like us because we bust our asses
We show up on time
We handle stress well
We tolerate fast paced environments
We're reliable
And there are tax benefits in hiring us
>>
>>29454286

I thought you only want weapons, survival and the outdoors? Now being the shift manager at Boringwerks Inc is ok?

Well the good news is economy is finally improving imo. Wages flat but seeing growth, new jobs, new businesses. Hiding out in college while working part time might be a good idea if you can make it work financially.

You could probally weasel into all sorts of aviation support industries since you are a pilot and military "officer"

Being a warrant puts you in a unique position since mostly the mil churns out junior NCOs and company grade officers.
>>
>>29454009
if I'm some non-skilled civ bastard can I follow your lead and have success or is it because you have vet preference that it works?
>>
>>29454357
That's the only shit that truly interests me. I've already prepared myself for having to work a job I don't enjoy. What's with the "officer" jab there champ.
>>
Your only option is to work for Feds. Otherwise you will be throwing away your military time. With Feds you can buy back your years of military service at a small percentage of your federal pay. Mine was 3% but I only bought 6 years. You can retire after 20 years minimum retirement age is 57.

So you need to become master of usajobs

You are qualified for many of these jobs you just don't realize it. Remember on the job questionnaires you are the Highest level expert. Otherwise you will never even make it to interview because all the liars did.

So start finding the bases in your prospective AO not just the big ones either. My base has no maneuver units its a small one mostly civilian employees.

There are 3 types of fed employment temp (don't bother it's less than a year with no bennies), term up to 4 years with full bennies and the holy grail permanent
>>
>>29450029
I'd recommend using your GI bill to get an EMT certification. It only takes a few months and with your military background you'll get a job. And the nature of the hurry up and wait mixed with sudden excitement, not to mention the personalities of EMTs would keep you sane.
>>
>>29454392

It's pretty hard for civilians to get the lower jobs because all the vets get moved to front of line. Plus most jobs aren't even open to public at large you have to be an internal candidate or under a special hiring authority like VRA, VEOA, Disabled Vet, Militsry Spouse
>>
>>29450029
Go to college or learn a trade. The military gives you special perks if you decide to school after your service. Don't settle for fucking walmart greeter and janitor, live a life you would be proud to tell your kids about.
>>
>>29454403

Not a jab at all sir. Apache pilots have my undying love and respect saved my ass more then once down range. What I mean is that WOs aren't in traditional officer or even NCO leadership roles which is what most people military or civilian think of when they think of an officer.
>>
>>29454434

Combat Lifesaver course got me EMT-B all I had to do was fill out some state paperwork
>>
>>29454472
Ah gotchya, my bad.
>>
>>29454482
Are you fucking serious? Isn't EMT higher than paramedic?
>>
>>29450094
This.
>>
>>29450029

Use your VA benefits, unwind for a few years with some school, just don't party too hard and pick a major with job prospects.

Try to do as many internships as you can, and network while you're in school.

Come out, get a career, try not to think about how far behind your time in the military put you towards retirement.
>>
>>29454420
>With Feds you can buy back your years of military service at a small percentage of your federal pay. Mine was 3% but I only bought 6 years. You can retire after 20 years minimum retirement age is 57.

??????????Please explain.
>>
>>29454490

So explain this to me...you will work some crummy middle management job rather then fly anymore?

I get that Uncle Sam (all branches) churn out more rotary wing pilots then the civy world will ever need. But there are good paying civy pilot jobs. The power company here hires them for survey work.

Oh yeah consider Active Duty Guard Reseve (AGR) Technician jobs.

I did guard after leaving active duty for a few years. Good for connections and not totally leaving mil life.

Also check out defense contractors since you have clearance: Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, L3, to name the big boys.
>>
be me
>oh god oh god oh god
>oh wait ill be fine
>use gi bill
>go to school
>collect bah
>collect disability
>have part time job working for buddy

i make as much or a tiny bit less than i did while i was in, and im furthering my career.

wanna know something wierd tho?
for the first week, i still woke up and got ready for pt, i almost even made it on post once before it clicked "HEY FUCKER YOURE A CIVI GO HOME"
>>
>>29454498

Lower. a EMT is s body scrapper and ambulance driver. Paramedics are paramedics are highly trained and can give meds.

It's s damn shame how combat medics can do so much in army but have to get all new certain on civy street.

I have s friend that was Navy EOD for 20 years couldn't get s job in civilian construction or mining demolitions because they didn't recognize any of his certs.
>>
>>29450029
I got out 2 years this may, it's been weird. But at the same time I've worked on both swamp people and duck dynasty
>>
>>29454510

Federal employees can "buy" their active duty service time toward credit in their federal worker pension system.
>>
>>29454557
In any case I'd recommend looking for a job as an EMT. The experience will look good on your resume, and the job is bullshit and you deal with fuckwits all damn day but I think it's a good stepping stone into the civilian world.
>>
Army reserve technician program
>>
>>29454604

Isn't the pay terrible like $11 per hour?
>>
>>29450029
Retired after 22 years...#1 most difficult transition issue: what am I going to wear tomorrow?
>>
>>29454572
Thank you I thought it was automatic/
>>
>>29454642

PT gear and Iraq veteran hat. We Veteranz now! To the VA fo free money!
>>
>>29454534
Flying as work isn't enticing to me. I'd do it as leisure but there's a lot of paperwork and regs involved that just turn me off. I do love it though. Not to sound like a prick but I think I've been close to the highest level you can get
>Flying Apaches
>high profile missions with SOF
Flying guys to oil rigs or logging just doesn't really do it for me.
>>
>>29454675

No it isn't automatic it is calculated on a percentage on your current jobs base pay.

http://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/militaryservice/militaryservicedeposits/estimator.html
>>
>>29454719

You are more dialed into aviation jobs then I am but I figure someone has to fly life flight/air ambulance, police, fire suppression, Search & Rescue surely all civilian helo pilot jobs aren't flying bus driver gigs?
>>
>>29454755
Entry level jobs like those start around 50k. That's another thing that turns me off. And a lot of them want specific qualifications and are more geared for the guys with 5 deployments retiring after 20.
>>
>>29454755
>>29454775
Not to mention a lot of it is shift work
>3 weeks on
>3 weeks off
I'm leaving the military to spend more time with my family. That's just counter intuitive
>>
>>29454788

Test pilot it is!
>>
>>29450029
Not a milfag here, but go and find a good contractor or sub-contractor.

Construction and renovations is a business that is always going and will teach you skills that you can use.

On top of that, it's easy to excel in since most man-children play video games and shun the outdoors nowadays. I can only imagine joining a job like that coming from the Military won't be that jarring.
>>
The national guard in my state does drug suppression with the state police looking for pot fields and meth labs. The pilots, crew and birds are all active duty full time guard guys.

Guy in my police academy class left to go do it he was already a Blackhawk pilot.
>>
>>29454824

Low pay full of idiots and druggies. I did it for years couldn't get anybthing better then $20 per hour and went back to college.
>>
Helmets to hardhats worked for me. I am a journeyman elevator constructor. $32 per hour. Hard work but I'm not a puss. 5 years in Marine Corps infantry to this. No college.
>>
>>29454871

Forgot the site:

https://www.helmetstohardhats.org
>>
Troops to Teachers is another good program if you want to be a public school teacher that is. Tenure, Summers off, not a lot of pressure to perform, pension. Could be worse.
>>
>>29454801
First to die kek
>>
Thanks for all the replies boys, this thread went much better than expected.
>>
>>29454923
Love ya, you nigger
>>
>>29450029
as soon as you are out, take your form 214 and go to your unemployment office and apply for unemployment, in which military people get immediately and are always accepted

then enjoy being home and getting adjusted while collecting more free money for awhile. make sure to contact your insurance so they can ensure your insurance transition goes smoothly
>>
>>29450523
Depends. Computer shit is booming, esp cyber security. There's also getting into the Intelligence Community (risk analysis for civilian companies) and that has BIG money. Accounting is boring as shit, esp forensic accounting, but if you have that youre set.
Aviation is hiring too. Flying is expensive to get into but you're pampered with moneu and benefits once youre in.
Tldr, anything that isnt a liberal arts degree unless you do a critical language with corresponding area studies (tusken raider for instance) and the university has faculty that can help get you the right connections to the intel field.
>>
>>29454871
I'm going to check this out. Any tips about which trade to go?
>>
>>29454976
I forgot to add:
do some job searches for civilian contract jobs for the military - like air force, army, etc. they always hire ex-military guys. the local base employs ex-mil for the construction, hvac, etc. jobs.

you may be getting out, but you still can keep a foot in to ensure your employment future. i know some places even help ex-mil get HVAC, electrical/plumbing training for free or foot most of the cost.

The funniest part? Most of the military guys are too fucking stupid to just ask or look around to utilize shit available to them.

usajobs.gov - use it, love it, you're welcome
>>
>>29454719
One of the things that sucks about leaving the military is the lack of "employee" accountability. Somebody fucks up, no one cares, right? I mean, I put my hands in my pockets all the time, but goddamn this is infuriating. Something to think about, at least.
>>
>>29450335
any answer but this one is fucking wrong.

use your nontaxable benefits and reap the reward of knowledge, critical though, discussion, self-betterment, and philosophy building. All on the government's fucking dime because by god you fucking earned it.

I didn't want to go to fucking college when I got out. I wanted to break shit.

I went to college.

I didn't break shit.

I don't regret this choice. I'm a better person because of it.

Be the warrior-scholar you were meant to be.

faggot.
>>
File: 30ni0c9.gif (25 KB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
30ni0c9.gif
25 KB, 600x250
I was an Infantry Sergeant who served in all fields of the Infantry - light, mechanized, airborne, ranger and long range surveillance.

I had a terrible time adjusting to civilian life and to be bluntly honest, I have no idea why I didn't get my ass kicked several times. I was used to people addressing me with respect - as I would address them with respect. When I didn't receive that, I blew up verbally on others. Once, in freshman English Composition 1 class, I was astounded by another male's response that favored women. I called him a pussy in front of the entire class. It was a knee-jerk reaction. He should have socked me right in the jaw. But he didn't.

I also followed around activists on campus and removed every single communist flyer they hung. They knew I was doing it and I was ready to beat the daylights out of them if they tried to stop me.

Adjustment was brutal for the innocent civilians who had to endure it. I am embarrassed by the way I conducted myself.

These days I am the calmest, nicest person you could hope to meet. I realigned my ideals and conformed to the civilian way of life. I encourage every eteran to do the same.
>>
File: image.png (16 KB, 224x322) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16 KB, 224x322
>>29453790
Marinefag here, getting out in six months as well.

Im signing up for shit like VCTP and O2O to get my Comp A and Microsoft certs, they pay for it and I just have to put in the work.

Does the Army have a TRS like we do? Did anyone feel like youmre gonna have to do it again? I cant remember half the shit they showed us.
>>
>>29450224
>in like Flint

Jesus wept
>>
>>29457247
You sound like you have stories to tell Anon
>>
>>29457247
Clearly your town was too big.

In small, mostly white towns people are respectful to eachother pretty much most of the time.
>>
>>29450224

>in like Flint

so you're blood is lead-filled.
>>
Not a milfag, but I don't understand how you can spend all those years in the military and not have any worthwhile job skills. Some ITT have said you risk being a 30 year old NEET... how is that possible? Technically you've worked a job for however many years and so many civilian employers LOVE the PR they get from hiring vets.
>>
>>29450029
My experience

>Get out
>Go to college
>Divorce wife
>Do drugs
>Become homeless
>Drift around America
>Get sick and tired of life
>Numerous suicide attempts, still doing drugs (of course)
>Give up
>Get a shit job and rebuild my life
Total timespan:7yrs

>what was the transition like?
I took everything as a life or death matter. Took a long time to discover that shit out here just DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL, learn how to be okay with that fact, and now my mission is to help people for a living because it gives my life meaning again.

>how hard was it to find a job?
The application/denial process was a bitch. It was really tough too, to settle for an average joe job. I really had to come to terms with it. It was difficult until I found out that I need to be helping people in a real way.

>are organizations like etc. worth joining?
Yes, join all of them. I've let the my memberships fall off, then resumed them later in life and the initial joining/quitting was invaluable when I decided to go back to them.

yw and prepare to be humbled
>>
>>29457395
My job was to kill people with violence of action. What company is hiring for that skill?
>>
>>29450029
>in a bar at a ski slope
>old guy starts talking to me
>apparently he was the head of a base camp
>idk rank
>goes on tangent on how even generals would need to ask him permission to enter the base
>tells me just retired and has absolutely no idea what to do now
>could see the pain in his eyes

good luck have fun :^)
>>
>>29450664
its fucking hard dude (civil)

but then again im not smart at all so you might have better luck
>>
>>29451807
you should consider a career in the military :^)
>>
>>29450029
I'm not a vet but I know a few and I'll tell you about one of them. Before that, thank you for your service sir or ma`am.

One of my former friends from HS now seems somewhat distant but I see him at Walmart from time to time. He seems to have been employed there temporarily while he looks for other work, which he has now found. He'll be starting his new job, training/managing security guards for ________, as soon as his "tour" ( he agreed to work for Wally for X period of time ) is up.
>>
>>29454151
blow up any vans full of kids lately?

LOL just playing senpai i know they were kid terrorists
>>
Do civilians look down upon combat experience?
>>
>>29450664
You have to put in a lot of time to succeed. Some teachers are awful and make the class far harder than it should be.
If you take it seriously you should be fine.
>>
>>29457970
How much do engineering degrees relate to each other? Can an aerospace engineer work in mechanical, etc?
>>
>>29458003
I'm a junior in mechanical engineering, so not exactly an expert. It seems like it really depends on what company you work for, most companies have electrical, mech, industrial, all sorts of engineers.
For example, I have a high school friend who is a petroleum engineer for BP, they also employ mechanical engineers in his department.
>>
>>29458031
Thanks Fred. I hear electrical is the hardest, is that true?
>>
File: 2ujgjeq.png (156 KB, 452x302) Image search: [Google]
2ujgjeq.png
156 KB, 452x302
>>29457926
That's a silly question to ask. Who gives a fuck what civilians think? To me, that is like asking if Angolans care about what running shoes I wear. It is a non sequitur.
>>
>>29458040
You are welcome Ms. Levy
It might be. They always have work though. The electrical internships in my area pay on average a few bucks more per hour than the mechanical ones.
As an ME all the electrical I had to take was a circuits for heathens class, which was pretty easy, but still a lot of work.
>>
If you're 11b you have no marketable skills. Seek GI Bill.

If you're anything enlisted you probably have a few marketable skills, but it's not high paying shit or good jobs. Seek GI Bill.

If your out as O-# you're in good shape, consider doing some additional courses to a certification or a one year post grad in a subject that interests you.

Look for management positions only. You have the skill set for management and a pretty good face card at most institutions (at some institutions, it's an outright trump card).
>>
>>29458050

You realize that those people (civilians) are the ones who are employing you for the rest of your life, and they don't generally give a shit about your military service, or your entitled attitude because you served - so did more than 30 million other living Americans and slightly better than 1 in 10 of the male population.

You should give a fuck because you're done with the service, and what you did in the service generally doesn't mean shit in the real world and no one cares.
>>
>>29458212
Can you elaborate on the trump card?
>>
>>29458251
You are agreeing with him but phrasing it like an edgy bitch.
>>
>>29458251
I have to disagree to an extent. It's not the 1940s so no one has a sense of national pride or cares in that respect, but your service is still important. Hating on veterans because they fought in unpopular wars is just being edgy.
>>
>>29458448

No one is "hating" on veterans. It's just indifference.

Having served is not an achievement. Literal tens of millions also served.

You're not a special snowflake because you enlisted.
>>
>>29458376

Small town nonsense, where "thank-you-for-your-service" crap still prevails.

Find the right city/town and place and they'll fall all over you. Doesn't work in big cities or anywhere close to a military base.
>>
>>29457497
c-contractors?
>>
>>29458705
Nigger you're looking at it subjectively. Less than 1% Serves. There are entry of veterans out there but the overwhelming majority are not.
>>
>>29458705
>you're not some special snowflake because you enlisted

This.

Faggots need to get over their "MUH WARRIOR" complex and come back home and get fucking jobs and stop being drunken degenerates who do fuckall all day and then complain when they can't afford to live.
>>
>>29458859
Calm down Jill
>>
>>29458705
>tens of millions also served

Since 1775 maybe but probably not that many. I'd guess over the course of our American history about 4 million have served. That's a pretty exclusive and impressive club. Out of those, perhaps 15% were infantry. Out of them, 1% were elite.

Go shove your worthless civilian pecker in a tree knot, fuck mouth. Cry to your woman about how much of a man you are while she fantasizes about fucking a man in uniform.
>>
>>29458705

So why didn't you enlist in the Infantry you little bitch? We have been in a shooting war for over a decade and yet you still have managed not to serve?
>>
>>29458705

Millions of people have served but because you haven't it isn't an achievement. By you logic any personal achievement is diminished if many others have accomplished it?
>>
>>29458844

Uh, it's the actual numbers, according to FiveThirtyEight:

Something like 13.5% of males in the United States have served in the military.

The average only tanks to 1% if you include women.
>>
>>29459889
>>I'd guess over the course of our American history about 4 million have served

Then you're a tremendous retard. There are literally 1.3 million active US service people as of RIGHT NOW, plus another 800k reservists.

The current estimates are that there are over 30 million people in the United States that have served in the military, alive right now.
>>
>>29450029
Got released 6 months ago (Israeli army). I work in temporary jobs- gas stations, etc. and saving money so that next year I can go to university and get a profession.
This is the same I would suggest for you: think what you want to do in life. Choose a profession, be it a doctor, engineer or a mechanic- and go to uni/college to study it and go work. Don't get too focused on relating works to your service because it's a "stuck in the past" thinking, but also don't shy away from work that is somehow related to what you did in the army as it's likely to contain something that will interest you and you already go experience.
>>
>>29460900
Congratulations, shit tard. You did seconds of research. And when and how long did you serve, pogue meister?
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.