[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm kind of confused when people say that the era of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: marines force recon.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1400) Image search: [Google]
marines force recon.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1400
So I'm kind of confused when people say that the era of true warfare has ended, aka the 'infantry has become obsolete' meme..

But what about the wars of Iraq and Afghanistan, and the countless skirmishes around the globe? How is all that not true warfare?

Nukes didn't prevent the invasion of Iraq, so I'm not sure how anyone can claim that the modern infantry has become obsolete.
>>
the era of true warfare has ended in 1914
>>
File: rian_010.jpg (25 KB, 468x312) Image search: [Google]
rian_010.jpg
25 KB, 468x312
>>29445828
it's the way the modern, advanced western nations do war, that has significantly changed. It's all about avoiding man-losses to the very end these days, by utilizing as much information gathering on the enemy in advance, messing up with the enemy's information and even media, and finally doing tons of pre-emptive indirect strikes on tactical spots.

Infantry's rolled in only when the scene's considered as safe as possible, only to "hold the fort" and to flush out the few remaining, holed in enemy troops. This is a farcry of the older days, when the main tactic was to roll in as much manpower to the scene as possible, duking it out with rifles and such. Up until ~80s, it was considered pretty common to suffer losses that count up to tens of thousands, but nowadays just a couple thousand fallen, in the period of a decade, is considered unacceptable.

With the advent of UAVs and such, we are literally approaching the time when the flesh and blood soldiers are starting to become "obsolete". Why spend thousands on a weak meatsack and worry about the emotional issues, when you can do the same from the safety of your bunker using robots?
>>
>>29445828
Infantry has its uses where other things do not. Everything has a purpose.
>>
>>29445828
It's unlikely that Infantry will ever be obsolete, however now it is not the only thing on the battlefield and is simply part of a wider array of tools.
>>
>>29445828
Modern warfare is different from the old stuff, there's no uniforms marking whose who. The problem with that is you need infantry to go in and try to differentiate between the black and the white when from a distance it all appears grey.
>>
> But what about the wars of Iraq and Afghanistan

failed and unnecessary wars
>>
>>29448541
Yes, fucking up the middle east and losing american lives because of a lie and invading the graveyard of empires.
>>
>>29447616
That's what chemical weapons are for. :^)
>>
>>29448555
don't forget hundreds of billion dollars spent for nothing
>>
>>29445828
Its something insecure people say to make themselves feel better about not joining.

I am NOT saying you have anything to feel insecure about if you didnt enlist, but some people just naturally feel they need to compensate.
>why bother, all it is is drones and lasers
>hah! Infantry are only bullet sponges who call in CAS
>nobody has ever gotten in a gun fight since (insert favorite era of militaria), real war is over!

These are just adult versions of "YEAH! WELL I DIDNT WANNA PLAY WITH YOU, YOUR GAME IS STUPID!"

I was in Afghan in 2014, we got into 27 firefights in 7 months. I can assure you, the ground action was every bit as unpleasant as any other war. Turns out getting shot at and blown up still happens, and it still fucking sucks. Who knew?
>>
>>29445828
Load of bollocks. Infantry will always be needed especially the skill set they provide. British Army demonstrated this in Afghan you had Royal Armoured Corps Troopers who trained on MBTs re-train with Infantry skills. And the Reconnaissance regiments who always have Infantry training to preform on foot reconnaissance. But regardless of that training they have, Infantry will always be better at it since it is their main job. So no, Infantry will never be obsolete.
>>
>>29448579

Wonder where all that money went...
>>
>>29448652
At the end of the day they dont make a missile, bomb, tank, or helicopter thats capable of going into a house, killing the bad guys, finding the arms cache, taking prisoners, and making decisions.

These things are all just tools to assist the infantry to do thier job. You still need boots on the ground to take and hold territory, make decisions, and use the appropriate amount of force.

Thats the thing about tanks planes drones and helos. They can flatten a building or even several, but they can't hold that building and exploit it.

Thats why this air campaign against ISIS is a joke. Its not meant to stop them, its just a political holding pattern so the current administration can't be accused of doing nothing, but also can't be accused of starting something.
>>
>>29445940
UAVs are a dead concept against a modern power.
>>
>>29448858
As is all air power.

But since all wars in the future will be fought just like the last one was we have absolutely nothing to worry about.
>>
>>29448639
This.
People think that "real war" is only when lines of soldiers march to each other in formation.
The war has changed, but it's still war.
>>
>>29448731

Graveyards mostly. For machinery and man alike.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 600x338
>>29448933
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1680x1050
>>29448933
>>29449107
That said . . .
>>
File: 1459280499777.jpg (201 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1459280499777.jpg
201 KB, 894x894
>The year 41,000.

>Infantry still relevant.
>>
>>29448898
>But since all wars in the future will be fought just like the last one was we have absolutely nothing to worry about.
I believe you were ironic.
If not, never underestimate the impredictability of future.
>>
>>29450239
It's a joke about military thought since forever.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.