[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
black powder general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 19
File: dindu_powder.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
dindu_powder.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
It's antiquated, impractical, and sexy as hell.
Also the only way some people (*cough* europe *cough*) can own a gun without bending over backwards seven different ways to get a permit.

To start off the discussion, here's a picture of my new Uberti 1851 Colt Navy repro. In my opinion the sexiest gun ever made. Used by "Wild Bill" Hickock, among others. Also the most popular confederate revolver of the Civil War (reason being that both Remington and Colt were loyal Unionists, and sold their guns exclusively to the Yankees, so Confederates had to make do with older and/or captured weapons, while Union troops got their brand new Remingtons and Colts straight from the factory).

And yes - I know the 1858/1863, closed-frame Remingtons in .44 are objectively better guns, but sentiment is a powerful thing, and since this is my first dindu powder weapon, I listened to my heart more than to my head (I'll probably get a remy down the line).
>>
File: 2016-01-11 01.56.13 1_resized.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-11 01.56.13 1_resized.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>29445588
In
>>
>>29445588
Lovely. I prefer the 5ish inch barrels though just feels better. Do you like six inches or when you handle 8 inches does it feel right to you?

What size balls do you like?
>>
File: Absolument interdit.png (2 MB, 968x1298) Image search: [Google]
Absolument interdit.png
2 MB, 968x1298
>>29445588

Anyone in France with a good website to advice?

I'm looking for an 1862 pocket police Sheriff at a reasonable price, could be interested in a pack including the cleaning tools and some powder / ammo.

Also is the 1862 easy to conceal? Not that I am planning on CC'ing at all :^)
>>
>>29446640

that sounded kinky...

I go with the "recommended standard" of .375.

I wanted the full length, 7.5'' barrel. For now I put mine in a military, cross-draw holster. Might get a slim jim, though, for butt-forward carry, Wild Bill style, as I find it a very comfortable way to draw a 7.5''.
>>
How into Black Powder? Even as an American I want to mainly for historical reasons, but I can't get a comprehensive guide into "Get this, Do this, but don't do this"
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1136x640
I finally have a reason to post this. Me firing my Remington 1858. I was imposed by the fireball. Also met some interesting African-American fellows.
>>
>>29446658

t'es moche
>>
>>29446950

well, you need the pistol or rifle, obviously, a powder flask, some balls (or some lead and a mould to cast your own), caps and black powder.

You also need wads, or grease, to seal the cylinders and prevent chainfire.
>>
>>29447065
>get a brace of pistols
>fire them all as fast as possible
>smokescreen the range
>leave
>>
>>29447072

> Doesn't know Frenchfag

Spot the newfag
>>
>>29447215

ta mouche
>>
File: image.png (488 KB, 1000x683) Image search: [Google]
image.png
488 KB, 1000x683
I need a full license to own BP weapons

Somebody kill me
>>
File: 20160318_115239.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160318_115239.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
In with muh Gunnison and Griswold.

Git sum, bluebelly Yank scum. Johnny Reb's back in town.

Also confederate ripoff 1851 is best 1851
>>
>>29447474

Come visit britanny, I can fix you up :^)
>>
Best lube for BP revolvers? I know synthetic is a no go due to gunking up with BP residue. I've just been using canola oil (off brand Fireclean kek), but I'm worried about it going rancid and my revolver smelling funny.

Alternatives?
>>
File: 1863.jpg (342 KB, 922x692) Image search: [Google]
1863.jpg
342 KB, 922x692
>>29446658
Why not Remington 1863 though

More compact, can cvhange cylinders quickly and no cap jams.
>>
>>29446950
>Get this
Get a gun, powder, caps, balls (oversized, .451/.454 for .44 revolvers for example), wads and/or lube, powder flask, powder measure (or just use an empty case for that) cleaning rod.

Everything else is either a gimmick or useful but not necessary.

>Do this
Pour the powder from the flask into the measure/empty case, then pour it into the chamber.

Place a wad on top of the powder if you want to use them. Not necessary with oversized balls but help with the fouling.

Sit the ball in.

Put lube on top of the ball if you want to use it. Same deal as with wads, not necessary but helps.

Shoot, repeat until content or until gun is too dirty to fuction properly anymore.

>don't do this
Don't pour the powder directly from thee flask into the chamber if you shot a moment before- might be there is still an ember inside and in that case you are holding a fancy grenade that is about to go off.

Don't do anything that might result in chainfire (fire from the shot setting off other chambers, effectively shooting all of them at the same time)

Which means you need to have a tight seal in each chamber. Oversized balls are enough for that, you know you are safe if the balls leaves a thin lead ring after you sit it in.

If you don't use oversized balls for some reason, wads/lube are a must.
And about cleaning- there is a fuckload of videos about that. Some people prefer to do a full dissasembly after each shooting and clean it with water and soap, other clean only the major parts of the gun with oil. Everyone does this shit in a different way, you will figure it out.
>>
>>29445588
why does it look like its been through the washing machine
>>
>>29448507
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case-hardening
>>
>>29448507

If you mean the frame (and the hammer and loading lever), it is case-hardened, and a not-so-great photo.
>>
File: smith-wesson-kal-38.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
smith-wesson-kal-38.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
Why not getting a gun like pic related if you're in Europe(and note one of the "only antique if made before 1871" countries).

It requires no license and leaves no paper trail. Everyone over 18 can buy one where I live.
>>
>>29448945
Because in many countries the firearm needs to shoot non-cartridge ammo to be legal without a license.
>>
>>29447474
>make a few dozen of simple slam fire shotguns
>as in, literally 2 pipes with an end cap and a nail glued to the end
>start leaving them in public with a piece of paper detailing how to make and use them
>wait until government bans pipes
Do it Anon.

Maybe people will realize how fucked gun control is.
>>
>>29446640
>What size balls do you like?

Mine, and your mother agrees when they're resting on her chin.
>>
>>29448945
>>29449072

precisely. Polish law states that no license is required for replicas of weapons from before 1885, that are "separate loading" weapons (ie, the primer is separate from the charge, meaning black powder cap and ball weapons).

We still need a document to buy powder, but that is obtained automatically (you need a photo, and bill of sale of a black powder firearm, and apply for a European Weapon Card, which is needed to buy black powder, caps and balls can be bought without one).
>>
>>29449119

I'd like to see some snackbars go to surrenderland (aka France), and attack people with flintlock muskets, just for shits and giggles, and watch the EU freak out over dangerous assault muskets.
>>
>>29449163
>We still need a document to buy powder, but that is obtained automatically
We actually don't per se.

It's the shops that have no right to sell powder unless you have the European Firearms Pass.

But buying/selling it from/to others, buying in in Czech Republic or making it yourself is perfectly legal.
>>
>>29449119

Honestly I'm just hoping for the government to push too far. I've always wanted to join a resistance movement and it would give me the opportunity to make automatic weapons and bombs.

Then once the lords are dead and the people are free again, we would create a constitution which protects the people and then move out of the way to let a truly representative government rule.
>>
>>29449163
Ok, at least you can buy replicas so you're not dependent on 150+ year old firearms.
>>
>>29449185
Well it ain't gonna happen since they have easy access to better stuff.

>>29449214
>Honestly I'm just hoping for the government to push too far
>implying my idea is not going to do exactly that
Don't let your dreams be dreams.
>>
File: 2.jpg (146 KB, 1075x806) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
146 KB, 1075x806
Well, pic related seems like a good CC for Polaks and Czech people on this board. Or just something to have in your house.
>>
>>29449221

yeah, makes the whole proposition a lot easier if you're not shooting a $1500+ collector's piece that may or may not blow up, but a modern-made replica, made from good grade steel, etc.
>>
>>29449301
>something to have in your house

>not having a double barrel cavalry shotgun.
>>
>>29449232

It has to be the government that causes it. If you just start fighting then the people are too cowardly to join in and will just let you be shot as terrorists.

Something really bad needs to happen to make the people believe in you. Once you have the people, you've won the war.
>>
>>29449301
>Well, pic related seems like a good CC for Polaks and Czech people on this board.
Eh, not really. It has no scare factor (will look like a toy to an idiot who doesn't know any better) and you can't afford to make a warning shot to prove that it's not a toy.

And considering that if you do actually shoot someone in self-defense you will be in a world of shit, you would want to try your damn hardest to scare the attacker rather than kill him if possible.

Something like >>29448341 is much better since you can afford to shoot a warning shoot and still be able to use deadly force if absolutely necessary.

That said, it's still better than nothing.

>Or just something to have in your house.
You can have whatever you want to in your house so 1858 in .44 with a bunch of spare preloaded cylinders would be the way to go.
>>
>>29449301

Polak here

>CC'ing a blackpowder gun

That said a friend of mine did an experiment where he left a loaded colt navy on a cupboard for six months. One chamber misfired when he finally shot it.

I always wonder why assholes aren't robbing banks and shit with these guns
>>
File: 1zf5wux.png (643 KB, 835x1024) Image search: [Google]
1zf5wux.png
643 KB, 835x1024
>>29449591
>Polak here
That makes two of us.

>>CC'ing a blackpowder gun
Perfectly doable, it's even legal as long as you don't bring it to public transport. I guarantee that if you do it right the gun will fire unless there was something wrong with the cap to begin with, I did some testing myself.

>That said a friend of mine did an experiment where he left a loaded colt navy on a cupboard for six months. One chamber misfired when he finally shot it.
That's not the way to do it though.

You should take your CC gun to the gun every once in a while, empty it down range, bring it back home, clean it, and the load it again.

>I always wonder why assholes aren't robbing banks and shit with these guns
Robbers usually don't have a plan to begin with.

I hate when retards say that free access to guns would mean everyone is going to shoot each other.

We already have free access to black powder firearms and you never hear about people killing each other, even though cap and ball revolvers are more than capable of killing with ease.
>>
>>29449680
>you should take your CC gun to the gun
to the shooting range*
>>
File: 720760.jpg (60 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
720760.jpg
60 KB, 880x660
>>29449565
>>29449591
It was just a suggestion. I didn't say that it was the best alternative, go ahead and buy something better, like the one in the picture attached to this post :)
>>
File: walker.jpg (758 KB, 4032x1564) Image search: [Google]
walker.jpg
758 KB, 4032x1564
Don't mind me, just the best cap and ball revolver to ever exist.
>>
>>29449889
>cap jams
>no quick cylinder change
>army dropped it because it tended to blow up
>>
>>29449913
>>cap jams
Inherent to most of Colt's designs and can be alleviated by first raising the bore with the recoil then cocking when returning it to target
>>no quick cylinder change
Literally not a thing that was practiced in service. They were issued in pairs.
>>army dropped it because it tended to blow up
Apart from it being made out of iron, soldiers in the field tended to fill the cylinders all the way and crush the powder, which is bad.

Enjoy your anemic powder charges :^)
>>
>>29449989
>Inherent to most of Colt's designs
That's why you get a Remington

>can be alleviated by first raising the bore with the recoil then cocking when returning it to target
Which makes it even slower than it already is.

>Literally not a thing that was practiced in service. They were issued in pairs.
Doesn't mean it's not a great practice.

>Apart from it being made out of iron, soldiers in the field tended to fill the cylinders all the way and crush the powder, which is bad.
You could fill the cylinder all the way in all other designs though.

>Enjoy your anemic powder charges :^)
Enjoy your anemic rate of fire :^)

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SIvVKtuks
>implying Walker can even compete
>>
File: 20140122_215857.jpg (415 KB, 2064x1161) Image search: [Google]
20140122_215857.jpg
415 KB, 2064x1161
need to get caps for it someday
>>
File: untitled_by_spaxspore-d8hhaab.jpg (218 KB, 1320x605) Image search: [Google]
untitled_by_spaxspore-d8hhaab.jpg
218 KB, 1320x605
>>29450065
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SIvVKtuks

my sides

Honestly - remington 1858/1863 is objectively the best BP revolver of the Civil War era.

In my opinion, though, 1851 Navy is the sexiest, and also one of the most signiicant firearms in history. Bumping with a picture found on teh internets, since I already posted mine.
>>
File: 20160315_193858.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160315_193858.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>29450217
I always found remingtons sexier personally, don't really care about practicality all that much either.

Pic is kinda outdated since I finshed the case already but I don't have it near right now.
>>
>>29450112
did you do that to the trigger guard or did it come like that?
>>
>>29450293

matter of taste I guess. Congrats on a very nice case bro.
>>
File: RSJSDQJSVS[1].jpg (99 KB, 643x300) Image search: [Google]
RSJSDQJSVS[1].jpg
99 KB, 643x300
>>29450217

>sexiest

thats not lemat flimflam

are they even legal? if so can you just fix up buckshot cartridges for the secondary barrel?
>>
So if I were to get myself a BP gun in Germany, can I get a modern repro or does it actually have to be an antique?

Also, what blackpowder gun would be best suited to HD or maybe even trunk carry?
>>
File: rem_karabely.png (125 KB, 900x450) Image search: [Google]
rem_karabely.png
125 KB, 900x450
>>29450350
>So if I were to get myself a BP gun in Germany, can I get a modern repro or does it actually have to be an antique?
Modern repro.

>Also, what blackpowder gun would be best suited to HD or maybe even trunk carry?
Probably a Remington 1858 in .44. The most reliable one and if you get a few extra cylinders you can switch them pretty quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kqEgijuCu4

But for trunk carry you could always go crazy with a revolving carbine.
>>
>>29450392
My knowledge of gun law is honestly a bit hazy, but I thought revolving guns were restricted?

I'll keep the Remington in mind though. Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>29450511
Not from Germany so I don't know the exact law, but I'm pretty sure about the modern repro part.
>>
>>29450570
For persons over 18 years of age, a license is not required to own or even carry a single shot percussion firearm developed before January 1, 1871, as well as all muzzle loaders with a flintlock or earlier design. However, the purchase of black powder or similar in order to actually use the firearms requires a license, except when purchased at a shooting range for immediate use at that range. (Citation needed).

So single shot percussion designed before 1871 only.
>>
>>29446658
Armurerie Lavaux, Pascal and Auxerre have pretty decent range in their BP stocks
>>
Anyone have experience with those solid BP charges or whatever they call them? They seem very convenient for quick loading
>>
>>29451228
That kinda cripples the concept. Ah well. Back to saving up for a hunter's license.
>>
File: zerg loltraktor.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
zerg loltraktor.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>29451287

Does this looks like a good deal?

335 yurobucks for all that stuff is appealing, is it worth it?

http://www.armurerie-auxerre.com/le-tir-sportif/armes-de-tir/armes-a-poudre-noire/pack-pret-a-tirer/revolver-pietta-1858-new-army-cal-44-pack-pret-a-tirer.html
>>
>>29451937
that's a pretty fucking good deal, if you're OK with those unreliable solid powder charges

wait a sec, you're not a britbong trying to buy a BP revolver to bring it back to the UK, are you?
>>
File: Call of baguette.jpg (180 KB, 500x529) Image search: [Google]
Call of baguette.jpg
180 KB, 500x529
>>29452685

Absolutely not. But I would help any Britbong who'd want to get his hands on one.

Any details on the reliability of such charges?
I was planning on getting used to the handling with those, then switching to paper cartridges.

Btw are all 1858 able to load conical bullets? It seems to be the ideal projectile
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.